To buy or not to buy (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, November 24, 2017, 11:14 (2352 days ago)

The season of economy stimulation is upon us, and the question that popped through my mind is whether to buy an Xbox One X. I passed over the Xbox One, but I took a brief moment to consider the new console. I already own a PS4 Pro, so I thought to myself, what can I get on Xbox that I can't get on PS4?

As far as experience goes, all the comparisons I've seen to multi-platform games seem incredibly minor, and since I am still in 1080p land pretty much a wash. There is no difference technically it seems. So, it's about GAMES.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_games

Yeah. That says it right there. The only thing I'm really sad about missing out on is Cuphead, but that's coming to OS X shortly.

If anyone here DOES have an Xbox One, let me know of any exclusive games you feel are totally worth it. I'm curious here.

To buy or not to buy

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, November 24, 2017, 12:39 (2352 days ago) @ Cody Miller

FWIW, I don't regret buying my XBONE, and I plan to get an XBONEX which should solve my only regret with the system - performance.

I vastly prefer the Xbox controllers, especially the elite, though I know that is going to be related to the size and shape of your hands, so YMMV.

I much prefer the interface and voice commands, and lots of little niceties, like having a functional IR receiver/remote control support that is not pathetic (though overall I still use the PS3 for media playback because I like the thumbnail timeline shuttle control so much)

I get what you are saying about games, but there are also a lot of cross platform games and I can play those on XBONEX with better performance (even if 1080p output) and a more developed friends network (I played way more games on XBOX in the prior Generations) with a controller I prefer, and with my one true username (instead of my PSN name with some vestigial initials amended to the end of it because somebody who has not played for years is squatting on it. Ick. )

SO, that's my thinking on it.

I own a One X

by DEEP_NNN, Friday, November 24, 2017, 13:19 (2352 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I know you said it comes down to the games.

But.

1080p TV, games like Destiny 2 look even better. Seem to play better. Perhaps this because of dynamic scaling already built into the software. They sound better too and are particularly good sounding with Dolby Atmos for headsets (no need for expensive surround sound headsets).

I am now on 4K. Everything is again a bit better. Destiny 2 will soon be 4K with HDR. In the mean time, Titanfall 2, Halo 5 and World of Tanks look fabulous. It's like seeing side by side images of XB1/PS4 and high end PC games. The increase in detail is so satisfying and more emmersive.

I can record 1 hour sessions of 4K(I think) gaming to an external media drive.

Downsides:
You get used living with the evolved tech pretty quick.
You might need a bit bigger external hard drive.
You might want to add a media drive.

To buy or not to buy

by Avateur @, Friday, November 24, 2017, 14:21 (2352 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I see no point in the X. The games just aren't there for Xbox in general. If you already have a PS4 Pro, I'd say you're in great shape. The Xbox One S is far more reasonably priced and will allow you to stream Netflix 4K and comes with a UHD Blu-ray player. Microsoft has made it perfectly clear for years that they view their consoles more for home entertainment than as a gaming device, and the exclusives aren't a thing. Most of the games can be picked up on Playstation or on PC as it is. And I don't even own a Sony console, and it's clear to me that PS4 is where it's at as far as gaming goes.

You made a thread the other week about getting a Switch. Get that instead. So maybe you won't like Mario Odyssey due to the collecting, but Breath of the Wild is fantastic. I also wonder what you'd think of something like Arms. Metroid will come eventually, too. And hell, just get Mario Odyssey anyway. Don't focus on the collecting. Focus on the gameplay and the levels and everything else that makes the game amazing.

To buy or not to buy

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, November 24, 2017, 14:42 (2352 days ago) @ Avateur

You made a thread the other week about getting a Switch. Get that instead. So maybe you won't like Mario Odyssey due to the collecting, but Breath of the Wild is fantastic. I also wonder what you'd think of something like Arms. Metroid will come eventually, too. And hell, just get Mario Odyssey anyway. Don't focus on the collecting. Focus on the gameplay and the levels and everything else that makes the game amazing.

This.

Unless you let us sit in and listen when you and Raga go all out on each other in party chat. Then get a Xbox. :D

Yous guys wouldn’t be able to afford the PPV ticket prices..

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, November 24, 2017, 20:01 (2352 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

+1

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 24, 2017, 15:33 (2352 days ago) @ Avateur

Funkmon told me having a PS4 in addition to an Xbox was stupid. I ignored him and bought a PS4, then ended up selling my Xbox six months later. They’re so largely similar that having both makes little sense, and, while it could potentially change, it’s not really a debate which has the stronger games.

The Switch, on the other hand, is an amazing secondary console. It’s not strong enough to be an exclusive console I don’t think (although it’s getting to be almost debatable), but it’s an incredible supplement. Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are two of the strongest as games of the year for sure, and the device itself is an absolute joy to use. I’ve bought both Stardew Valley and Oxenfree for a third time just so I can play them on the Switch, and I’d rather play every non-graphically intensive game on it.

To buy or not to buy

by Harmanimus @, Friday, November 24, 2017, 16:22 (2352 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I habe access to all the major platforms. XBox One, PS4, Switch, and a 96th percentile gaming rig. I do not regret any of them. However, I have no drive yet to get an XBoxOX. I utilize my Xbox more for mulptiplayer gaming, due to a combination of installed friend base and anecdotally better experiences in both cooperative and competitive games. My PS4 is usually utilized for more single player experiences. Switch is currently filling in mostly as a mobile platform, overtaking my 3DS and Vita. And I mostly play odds and ends and oddities on PC.

That is just supporting information to qualify my suggestion that at this time the XBoxOX is not a very appealing purchase, unless you just like having things first. I only recently moved to having a 4K TV, and while I find most of the multiplatform titles I have played on bother PS and XB the XB tends to feel like it has better performance, that is ‘t enough to merit a purchase at that price point during an initial manufacture cycle.

Hopefully the state of exclusive titles changes to better take advantage of the XBoxOX, but until then it isn’t really drawing. For anyone looking to get an XBO the X isn’t a bad method, but as mentioned for most the S will be a better monetary investment. Halo used to be enough of a draw that I never felt bad suggesting the platform explicitly for it, but it hasn’t been that way for quite awhile, to my disappointment. Because I already have both the Xbox wins out on a lot of things which cross over with my PC, though. Especially if t is multiplayer.

This thread says it all, really...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 16:19 (2350 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Korny, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 16:41

Asks Xbox players for their opinion on console. Results:

"Get it!" -0
"Yeah it has no games. But, but..." -2
"Just get a Switch instead." -2

That said, I'd actually say that if you have the disposable income, the ability to capture up to 4K video at 60fps without at Exeternal capture card is pretty dang awesome, assuming more games decide to support that (It'll be nice to get some great looking screenshots from the Xbox side).

by yakaman, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 20:35 (2350 days ago) @ Korny

"Get it!" -0

That said, I'd actually say that if you have the disposable income, the ability to capture up to 4K video at 60fps without at Exeternal capture card is pretty dang awesome, assuming more games decide to support that (It'll be nice to get some great looking screenshots from the Xbox side).

*Prepares counter argument.*

*Finds no counter-argument.*

*Dreams of Horizon Zero Dawn on XBone*

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 27, 2017, 08:59 (2349 days ago) @ yakaman

Easy solution: HDMI throughput.

by yakaman, Monday, November 27, 2017, 10:46 (2349 days ago) @ Kermit

Easy solution: HDMI throughput.

Uh, can you clarify?

Apologies...what am I missing?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, November 27, 2017, 12:42 (2349 days ago) @ yakaman

Uh, can you clarify?

Apologies...what am I missing?

Heh, he's joking about how you plug a HDMI input into the One and then access it through the dashboard. In practice, you could play a PS4 through your One, using the channel on your TV dedicated to the One.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 20:38 (2350 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 20:46

"Get it!" -0

If you like shit compression.

Looks like the console records about 200MB/ min in 4K60fps mode.

Just got an Xbox One X...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 17:09 (2350 days ago) @ Cody Miller

... and it took less than 5 minutes for Korny to roast me about it ;p

I don’t actually think there are many compelling reasons to get a PS4 Pro or a One X at the moment, but I ended up needing to get a new Xbox, so I figured “what the heck, get the more powerful option”. My games might look a tiny bit better and/or load a little faster. That’s enough for me to be happy that I got one. I’m excited to see what kinds of differences I notice, if any. I’ll let you know.

Just got an Xbox One X...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 17:16 (2350 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

... and it took less than 5 minutes for Korny to roast me about it ;p

Hey, it's not roasting if it's just sharing headcanon! ;)

You’d Be Paying $500 For An Extra Letter.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 17:19 (2350 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It’s just for 4K junkies and that’s (at the moment) it.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n30374/xbox-one-x-review

For us junkies

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, November 27, 2017, 09:41 (2349 days ago) @ Morpheus

It’s just for 4K junkies and that’s (at the moment) it.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n30374/xbox-one-x-review

So... that's anyone with a 4K display? I, for one, am looking forward to my extra letter (arrives on Wednesday).

Remember 10bit setting

by DEEP_NNN, Monday, November 27, 2017, 10:48 (2349 days ago) @ Beorn

If you have a 4K panel, it probably is also 10bit (check). XB1X has to be set for 10bit output.

Virtually eliminates color banding.

+1

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, November 27, 2017, 12:02 (2349 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

- No text -

For us junkies

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, November 27, 2017, 23:44 (2349 days ago) @ Beorn

Pretty much, yeah. ;-)

[image]

Let me clarify—you don’t need an Xbox One X if you already have an Xbox One. You should only buy an X if you don’t have a console in the first place, or your console breaks or is breaking for any reason.

If you have a 4K TV, sure go nuts! It’s literally the only reason; the difference on 1080’s isn’t even noticeable(obviously).

For us junkies

by DEEP_NNN, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 05:20 (2349 days ago) @ Morpheus

Pretty much, yeah. ;-)

[image]

Let me clarify—you don’t need an Xbox One X if you already have an Xbox One. You should only buy an X if you don’t have a console in the first place, or your console breaks or is breaking for any reason.

If you have a 4K TV, sure go nuts! It’s literally the only reason; the difference on 1080’s isn’t even noticeable(obviously).

No, I don't agree with this. Any positive difference is good to have and myself and others I game with have noticed positive changes. I was on a 1080p TV for two weeks. The same improvements are there at 4K even though that should be no surprise to anyone.

Destiny 2 looks more clean and clear with possibly more content and content detail. Never experienced framerate slow down once while I could hear my other friends (Old One) complaining about it. Microsoft has already said some games will scale to the X's capabilities. Halo 3 is apparently an excellent example.

Audio also seems more clean with fewer instances of break down during intense action.

Get it

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 17:24 (2350 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by kidtsunami, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 17:34

My whole friends list is loving theirs. And one of them is on a 1080p tv.

And it's pretty clear that multi-platform games are going to shine brightest on it.

Get it

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 18:19 (2350 days ago) @ kidtsunami

And it's pretty clear that multi-platform games are going to shine brightest on it.

Incorrect. Most of the games are also coming out on PC, where they shine brighter.

I prefer to play PC games on PC and console games on console

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 19:06 (2350 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Get it

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 19:29 (2350 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Incorrect. Most of the games are also coming out on PC, where they shine brighter.

That extends to whatever "exclusives" Microsoft can scrounge up at this point. Microsoft knows that PC is where the player base is at... Though I do somewhat agree with Kid about playing console games on console, but I don't twirl my wine glass while I say it, since it's mostly because I favor a controller over a mouse and keyboard (plus, the PC community is the worst community).

That said, it's all but confirmed that Halo 6 will be on PC, and I played around with the Halo 5 Forge tool there, and can confirm that it will likely be the definitive experience, so I think the Xbone X will mainly just appeal to folks who have a PC that can't really play games, or those who have a 4K tv, which isn't a bad thing, but to defend the X beyond that comes off as pure fanboyism, IMO.

Get it

by Avateur @, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 19:36 (2350 days ago) @ Korny

Halo's dead, so it can't have a definitive experience. Gosh, Korny.

Agreed on all other points, though.

Get it

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, November 27, 2017, 10:01 (2349 days ago) @ Korny

That extends to whatever "exclusives" Microsoft can scrounge up at this point. Microsoft knows that PC is where the player base is at... Though I do somewhat agree with Kid about playing console games on console, but I don't twirl my wine glass while I say it, since it's mostly because I favor a controller over a mouse and keyboard (plus, the PC community is the worst community).

That said, it's all but confirmed that Halo 6 will be on PC, and I played around with the Halo 5 Forge tool there, and can confirm that it will likely be the definitive experience, so I think the Xbone X will mainly just appeal to folks who have a PC that can't really play games, or those who have a 4K tv, which isn't a bad thing, but to defend the X beyond that comes off as pure fanboyism, IMO.

RE: Fanboyism, you should be mindful of how you write inflammatory comments like the above like we are in some kind of fanboy fight.

I own a PS4, a VR spec'd PC, a PS Vita (my spelunky machine), a switch, and an XB1. They are all pretty awesome and when someone asks me what they get my first question is:

"Well, do you have a group of friends that play on a particular platform?"

Because, hem and haw about exclusives all you want, there's an amazing selection of games you can get lost in on any of these platforms, and for a lot of people, what matters is having a group of friends to play with.

RE: Cody's interest in picking up the machine. Look if you want the most powerful console to play console games on, get an XB1X. Are you a huge Sony fan and really want Sony exclusives? Get a PS4 Pro! Do you want to play Rocket League with people across multiple platforms? Get something other than a PS4.

Not sure what your deal is man, it seems like you've really got a grudge against Microsoft.

Get it

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 27, 2017, 10:13 (2349 days ago) @ kidtsunami

RE: Fanboyism, you should be mindful of how you write inflammatory comments like the above like we are in some kind of fanboy fight.

I own a PS4, a VR spec'd PC, a PS Vita (my spelunky machine), a switch, and an XB1. They are all pretty awesome and when someone asks me what they get my first question is:

"Well, do you have a group of friends that play on a particular platform?"

Because, hem and haw about exclusives all you want, there's an amazing selection of games you can get lost in on any of these platforms, and for a lot of people, what matters is having a group of friends to play with.

RE: Cody's interest in picking up the machine. Look if you want the most powerful console to play console games on, get an XB1X. Are you a huge Sony fan and really want Sony exclusives? Get a PS4 Pro! Do you want to play Rocket League with people across multiple platforms? Get something other than a PS4.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but Xbox One has a robust backward compatibility program. Cody's interest in preserving history is being well served by Microsoft. That alone trumps any lack of exclusives IMHO.

Get it

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 27, 2017, 10:37 (2349 days ago) @ Kermit

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but Xbox One has a robust backward compatibility program. Cody's interest in preserving history is being well served by Microsoft. That alone trumps any lack of exclusives IMHO.

That is certainly appealing…

Does anybody know if the Xbox 360 titles that are available via backward compatibility support 6 channel PCM output? That would be a big deal. There's tons of games for the 360 I'd love to make fake movie trailers for for instance, but it's a pain because 360 games only did 5.1 output in dolby, meaning you can't record in surround without a dolby decoder with XLR outputs. Those are rare and expensive.

It was a pain for Halo 3/ODST/Reach believe me.

Let me know how to test that and I'd be happy to confirm

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, November 27, 2017, 10:57 (2349 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Does anybody know if the Xbox 360 titles that are available via backward compatibility support 6 channel PCM output? That would be a big deal. There's tons of games for the 360 I'd love to make fake movie trailers for for instance, but it's a pain because 360 games only did 5.1 output in dolby, meaning you can't record in surround without a dolby decoder with XLR outputs. Those are rare and expensive.

Unfortunately I have no capture hardware/software, so I may be of no help.

Let me know how to test that and I'd be happy to confirm

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 27, 2017, 13:20 (2349 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Unfortunately I have no capture hardware/software, so I may be of no help.

Do you have a home receiver? Select 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM output in the Xbox settings, load up an Xbox 360 game, and see if the receiver displays PCM or if it displays Dolby.

I don't have a home receiver sorry

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, November 27, 2017, 14:13 (2349 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Get it

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 27, 2017, 10:33 (2349 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I am actually asking more for recommendations for exclusive games I may not know about… I don't really mind spending the money to play a single game that's just amazing.

Looks down at clipboard

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, November 27, 2017, 10:55 (2349 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I am actually asking more for recommendations for exclusive games I may not know about… I don't really mind spending the money to play a single game that's just amazing.

Uhhh Ryse is exclusive ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Get it

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, November 27, 2017, 12:48 (2349 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Honestly, there aren't a lot of them and most aren't that good. The ones you could possibly enjoy are:

• the Forzas (Motorsport and Horizon flavors, if you don't particularly like one of them)
  • Gears of War (haven't really played the last one except for Horde mode, but might be good)
  • Halo (which won't be exclusive for long, but I can't recommend Halo 5's Warzone Firefight enough [you'll probably hate it by principle, though])

Get it

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, November 27, 2017, 12:07 (2349 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by Korny, Monday, November 27, 2017, 12:11

Eh, I was talking about it in a general sense, especially as it pertains to people dodging the Xbox's biggest glaring flaw. Didn't mean to trigger ya, sorry.

Well, that sounds a lot like the old "I can't be racist!" defense, but I mean, I could totally play that same card. Right before I made my initial comment, I was playing on Xbox (BTW, do saved clips not auto-upload anymore? I saved one and can't find it listed), and around the same time I was trying to discourage Malagate from getting a PS4 Pro (I'd rather he get a Slim and more games over a Pro and only a couple of games, since he didn't have a 4K tv). What consoles you have don't really have anything to do with whether or not someone might think that you have a poor opinion of one or the other, nor does it automagically make you better informed that anyone else about it.

Indeed. But that clearly had nothing to do with the questions that Cody was asking. I guess it all comes down to ye olde reading comprehension...

Do you want to play Rocket League with people across multiple platforms? Get something other than a PS4.

But PS4 Rocket League players have been able to play with PC players since Rocket League launched on PS4 (for free, no less). You'd think someone with all consoles, phones, and Microsoft Apples would know that. ;)

(I know you mean "play with the Switch community as well", but details matter, man!)

Not sure what your deal is man, it seems like you've really got a grudge against Microsoft.

I'm a calls-em-as-I-sees-em guy, and Microsoft has had way more screw-ups than hits with Xbox since the days when the 360 reigned supreme. And yeah, I've had a history of picking on Xbox players, but I just as easily pick on the tools who got Battlefront 2, regardless of platform (and I have Battlefront 1, so I can't possibly be biased!).

Eh. Cody asked a question, people specifically dodged/deflected his question to promote their... let's call it "dedicated fan ideals", and at the end of the day, Kermit is the only one who has made any headway towards addressing Cody's concerns.

(PS. Ryse is also on PC, so not really exclusive :P ).

Get it

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, November 27, 2017, 13:22 (2349 days ago) @ Korny

Eh, I was talking about it in a general sense, especially as it pertains to people dodging the Xbox's biggest glaring flaw. Didn't mean to trigger ya, sorry.

Well, that sounds a lot like the old "I can't be racist!" defense, but I mean, I could totally play that same card. Right before I made my initial comment, I was playing on Xbox (BTW, do saved clips not auto-upload anymore? I saved one and can't find it listed), and around the same time I was trying to discourage Malagate from getting a PS4 Pro (I'd rather he get a Slim and more games over a Pro and only a couple of games, since he didn't have a 4K tv). What consoles you have don't really have anything to do with whether or not someone might think that you have a poor opinion of one or the other, nor does it automagically make you better informed that anyone else about it.

I'm just saying that you appear to be trolling and that I don't find that constructive, and "calling it how you see it" is a thinly veiled excuse for trollish behavior.

Indeed. But that clearly had nothing to do with the questions that Cody was asking. I guess it all comes down to ye olde reading comprehension...

Yeah, I missed addressing his actual query, that's my bad.

Do you want to play Rocket League with people across multiple platforms? Get something other than a PS4.

But PS4 Rocket League players have been able to play with PC players since Rocket League launched on PS4 (for free, no less). You'd think someone with all consoles, phones, and Microsoft Apples would know that. ;)

(I know you mean "play with the Switch community as well", but details matter, man!)

I'm just really annoyed that Sony is keeping me from playing with my PS4 friends. It's my go to game at the moment and Sony's choice seems petty, like something that XB1 launch era microsoft would have done.

I'm a calls-em-as-I-sees-em guy, and Microsoft has had way more screw-ups than hits with Xbox since the days when the 360 reigned supreme. And yeah, I've had a history of picking on Xbox players, but I just as easily pick on the tools who got Battlefront 2, regardless of platform (and I have Battlefront 1, so I can't possibly be biased!).

But why do you pick on anybody. It just seems mean spirited.

Eh. Cody asked a question, people specifically dodged/deflected his question to promote their... let's call it "dedicated fan ideals", and at the end of the day, Kermit is the only one who has made any headway towards addressing Cody's concerns.

(PS. Ryse is also on PC, so not really exclusive :P ).

Ok ok... I think I've got it, let me check the clipboard again:
Kinect Sports Rivals

Get it

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, November 27, 2017, 13:52 (2349 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by Korny, Monday, November 27, 2017, 13:59

I'm just saying that you appear to be trolling and that I don't find that constructive, and "calling it how you see it" is a thinly veiled excuse for trollish behavior.

I mean, I feel like I'm making valid points, which is the main goal whenever I post something. Initially, I made a jab at the replies that Cody was getting, but that was based on the truth of the replies, and like I said, the whole thing was very telling, and even the replies afterwards only really reinforced the point.

I'm just really annoyed that Sony is keeping me from playing with my PS4 friends. It's my go to game at the moment and Sony's choice seems petty, like something that XB1 launch era microsoft would have done.

I get that, yeah... But it would be a terrible business decision for Sony to allow crossplay. They have the huge playerbase (over 2:1 compared to Xbone). Would people have any incentive to buy a PS4 if they could simply play with the much larger playerbase from a competitor's console? No business would ever do that, no matter how good it made them look, because they can easily afford to look bad (though I will say that historically, success has led Sony to make lots of dumb, arrogance-driven decisions, but this is not one of them). And if you miss playing with those friends enough to turn on the PS4 to play with them, then you're kind of proving the point.

Kinect Sports Rivals

Xbox One X has no native Kinect support, nor does it come with it, so that game wouldn't even work. :P

Get it

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, November 27, 2017, 14:11 (2349 days ago) @ Korny

I mean, I feel like I'm making valid points, which is the main goal whenever I post something. Initially, I made a jab at the replies that Cody was getting, but that was based on the truth of the replies, and like I said, the whole thing was very telling, and even the replies afterwards only really reinforced the point.

Yeah, I only bother to share with you how your posts make me feel because you often provide really interesting insights and I love your enthusiasm for Warframe even though I won't touch that with a 10 foot pole. Everytime you go in for the troll, I stop paying attention to what you're saying and start to resent you.

I get that, yeah... But it would be a terrible business decision for Sony to allow crossplay. They have the huge playerbase (over 2:1 compared to Xbone). Would people have any incentive to buy a PS4 if they could simply play with the much larger playerbase from a competitor's console? No business would ever do that, no matter how good it made them look, because they can easily afford to look bad (though I will say that historically, success has led Sony to make lots of dumb, arrogance-driven decisions, but this is not one of them). And if you miss playing with those friends enough to turn on the PS4 to play with them, then you're kind of proving the point.

I'm too lazy to switch over to PS4 to see who's up for Rocket League, that's on me.

And yeah, I'm pretty thankful that Microsoft, Sony, AND Nintendo are each at least moderately successful because I've gotten the impression that any time one of them gains the advantage, they, how can I put this nicely, start churning out hot garbage decisions. I can only imagine the hell we would be in if one were to achieve true dominance.

Kinect Sports Rivals

Xbox One X has no native Kinect support, nor does it come with it, so that game wouldn't even work. :P

squints super hard at clipboard:
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die

Get it

by cheapLEY @, Monday, November 27, 2017, 16:24 (2349 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Korny trolling?! Why, I never! :P

I know, I know, I stepped in it

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, November 27, 2017, 16:54 (2349 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Korny trolling?! Why, I never! :P

Not sure why I'm bothering to call it out here.

I enjoy Forza and Tomb Raider.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 23:16 (2350 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive thing. But honestly who gives a crap. I tell my friends who ask me for PS4 versus Xbox One to go with whatever system their friends are playing on.

Got it.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 27, 2017, 09:20 (2349 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So far it's snappier and games seem to run better, but it's way too subtle on a 1080 TV to be worth it.

Looking forward to HDR Destiny after the DLC (and when I get a TV that supports it, which won't be long. I've owned one HDTV, which I bought a month before Halo 3 came out. It's time.). My hope is that I'll finally be able to see Calus' shield indicator. :)

Not usually a fan of Paul Tassi of Forbes, but I'm where he is now.

The Xbox is my media hub. It's how I watch Blu-Ray, stream video, watch youtube, even do a bit a web browsing. Neither the Xbox or the PS UI is very good, but I've grown accustomed to talking to my Xbox for simple things, and it works.

No one really needs it, but I rationalize that gaming is still way cheaper than many other hobbies, and consoles are still affordable relative to high-end PCs, which I don't care to mess with.

YMMV.

P.S.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 27, 2017, 09:28 (2349 days ago) @ Kermit

I still think the Xbox One S is the best-looking console ever made, especially with the vertical stand.

That's a weird way to spell 3DO.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 11:36 (2348 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Great input. You're the best. :)

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, November 27, 2017, 09:44 (2349 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

+1

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, November 27, 2017, 10:13 (2349 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Got it.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, November 27, 2017, 14:46 (2349 days ago) @ Kermit

So far it's snappier and games seem to run better, but it's way too subtle on a 1080 TV to be worth it.

Looking forward to HDR Destiny after the DLC (and when I get a TV that supports it, which won't be long. I've owned one HDTV, which I bought a month before Halo 3 came out. It's time.). My hope is that I'll finally be able to see Calus' shield indicator. :)

Glad I'm not the only one who has trouble with that, lol

Not usually a fan of Paul Tassi of Forbes, but I'm where he is now.

Somewhere, Mig is feeling extremely disappointed in you and he isn't sure why ;p

The Xbox is my media hub. It's how I watch Blu-Ray, stream video, watch youtube, even do a bit a web browsing. Neither the Xbox or the PS UI is very good, but I've grown accustomed to talking to my Xbox for simple things, and it works.

No one really needs it, but I rationalize that gaming is still way cheaper than many other hobbies, and consoles are still affordable relative to high-end PCs, which I don't care to mess with.

YMMV.

All good points. The only thing I would add, after about an hour of messing around with my XboxOneX dashboard, is that the console makes much less noise than my PS4. But then again, my PS4 sounds like a jet engine. Even my 360 is quieter. Am I the only one?

Got it.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 27, 2017, 17:07 (2349 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

All good points. The only thing I would add, after about an hour of messing around with my XboxOneX dashboard, is that the console makes much less noise than my PS4. But then again, my PS4 sounds like a jet engine. Even my 360 is quieter. Am I the only one?

Dude, just put your PS4 outside and run a cable into the house. I hear Canada is cool in November, so the PS4 fan probably won't even have to turn on!

Got it.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 08:29 (2348 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Dude, just put your PS4 outside and run a cable into the house. I hear Canada is cool in November, so the PS4 fan probably won't even have to turn on!

Really? I thought you want to insulate it from the heat of the outside world. Just put a blanket over it. This doubles as a way to muffle the sound as well!

Got it.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 08:44 (2348 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Really? I thought you want to insulate it from the heat of the outside world. Just put a blanket over it. This doubles as a way to muffle the sound as well!

Done. I’ll let you know how it works out!

Got it.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 10:21 (2348 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

lol - remember how that was a legit way of fixing a red-ringed 360? And it worked because you were remelting the solder and reseating the main chip?

lolol

Got it.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 10:19 (2348 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

My PS4 is super-loud for about 3 minutes after bootup. Then it settles down and is whisper-quiet for the rest of my gaming session.

I DO know that it only started doing THAT in the past couple of weeks. (I was startled and scared the first time it happened.) I wonder if it's gonna get worse?

Got it.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 10:50 (2348 days ago) @ Claude Errera

My PS4 is super-loud for about 3 minutes after bootup. Then it settles down and is whisper-quiet for the rest of my gaming session.

I DO know that it only started doing THAT in the past couple of weeks. (I was startled and scared the first time it happened.) I wonder if it's gonna get worse?

Have y'all tried vacuuming it, and does it have a disk inside?

The PS4 and Xbone are always equally quiet on my end, unless I put a disk in, and the xbone starts doing a rapid tik-tik-tik noise, and the PS4 sounds like it's blow-drying the disk.

For the PS4, this noise continues even if I'm not playing the disk, so remove any disk that you're not playing (I don't think I've ever had a disk in the Xbone, so no idea if the same issue applies).

Got it.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 11:13 (2348 days ago) @ Korny

The PS4 and Xbone are always equally quiet on my end, unless I put a disk in, and the xbone starts doing a rapid tik-tik-tik noise, and the PS4 sounds like it's blow-drying the disk.

For the PS4, this noise continues even if I'm not playing the disk, so remove any disk that you're not playing (I don't think I've ever had a disk in the Xbone, so no idea if the same issue applies).

Compressed air is best. Just open it up and give it a few puffs around the dirty areas. Vacuums can damage electronics.

Got it.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 11:38 (2348 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Compressed air is best. Just open it up and give it a few puffs around the dirty areas. Vacuums can damage electronics.

Compressed air cans are for sissies. I've regularly taken a 6hp shop vac and ~135 PSI air compressor to every single console/PC that I've owned for the last decade, and never once had any issue with any of them afterwards.

Got it.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 12:30 (2348 days ago) @ Korny

Compressed air cans are for sissies. I've regularly taken a 6hp shop vac and ~135 PSI air compressor to every single console/PC that I've owned for the last decade, and never once had any issue with any of them afterwards.

And I've never been hurt once in my 12 years of skydiving. I guess it's completely safe!

It is. Everyone knows it's the sudden stop that kills ya.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 12:53 (2348 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

To buy or not to buy

by davidfuchs ⌂, USA, Monday, November 27, 2017, 11:02 (2349 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'd say the exclusives are worth it. Sunset Overdrive is still probably my game of the generation for just being such a blast of fresh air after the sad brown world last gen trended towards, Ori and Cuphead are amazing, and I'm still playing tons of Halo.

As a Mac guy myself who prefers to use controllers for a lot of games and just uses my computer for the minority of other titles (Dota 2, RTS like StarCraft, Minecraft.) an Xbox makes perfect sense and my ROI for a $500 console is worth it. If I had a gaming PC or preferred to do my gaming more on my computer, the calculus would change.

The XB1X making my XB1 games run better, as well as working as a better compatibility box for my 360 games, is icing on the cake.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread