XP in Destiny 2 (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, November 24, 2017, 15:38 (2352 days ago)

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/46494

We’ve seen community discussion around XP gain in Destiny. After reviewing our data, we agree that the system is not performing the way we’d like it to. Today, we’d like to describe what’s going on under the hood, and talk about what you can expect going forward when it comes to earning XP in Destiny 2.

Currently, XP will scale up when playing longer or fixed duration activities like Crucible competitive multiplayer matches and the Leviathan Raid, and XP will scale down when playing activities that can be quickly, repeatedly chained, like grinding Public Events. We are not happy with the results, and we’ve heard the same from the community.

Effective immediately, we are deactivating this system.

As a result, players will see XP earn rates change for all activities across the board, but with all values being displayed consistently in the user interface. Over the course of the next week, we will be watching and reviewing XP game data to ensure that these changes meet our expectations, as well as yours. Any additional updates to this system will be communicated to you via our official channels.

XP in Destiny 2

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, November 24, 2017, 19:23 (2352 days ago) @ CyberKN

We’ve seen community discussion around XP gain in Destiny. After reviewing our data, we agree that the system is not performing the way we’d like it to. Today, we’d like to describe what’s going on under the hood, and talk about what you can expect going forward when it comes to earning XP in Destiny 2.

Currently, XP will scale up when playing longer or fixed duration activities like Crucible competitive multiplayer matches and the Leviathan Raid, and XP will scale down when playing activities that can be quickly, repeatedly chained, like grinding Public Events. We are not happy with the results, and we’ve heard the same from the community.

As a result, players will see XP earn rates change for all activities across the board, but with all values being displayed consistently in the user interface. Over the course of the next week, we will be watching and reviewing XP game data to ensure that these changes meet our expectations, as well as yours. Any additional updates to this system will be communicated to you via our official channels.

So the spinfoil hat theory was true: Bungie was intentionally throttling exp gains to incentivize real world purchases.

This does not look good.

XP in Destiny 2

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, November 24, 2017, 20:14 (2352 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So the spinfoil hat theory was true: Bungie was intentionally throttling exp gains to incentivize real world purchases.

That's a dumb way to look at it. If anything, they were rewarding players who didn't play as long, while looking to balance XP gains across a multitude of systems, with certain game options more exploitable than others.

I can't remember if I submitted my Overwatch comparison, where a similar thing was happening, and the outcry led to Blizzard normalizing XP gains, which kind of screwed over the people who didn't play the game for hours every day.

At the end of the day, though. It was all for cosmetic stuff, so nothing of significance was lost.

This does not look good.

For the tinfoil hat-wearing armchair-dev neckbeards that cry about "slippery slopes", sure, it doesn't look good. For the people who enjoyed getting cosmetic loot without having to grind endlessly, they're at risk of losing their well-rested bonus just because some stupid streamers want more more more.

XP in Destiny 2

by EffortlessFury @, Friday, November 24, 2017, 20:24 (2352 days ago) @ Korny

That's a dumb way to look at it. If anything, they were rewarding players who didn't play as long, while looking to balance XP gains across a multitude of systems, with certain game options more exploitable than others.

I can't remember if I submitted my Overwatch comparison, where a similar thing was happening, and the outcry led to Blizzard normalizing XP gains, which kind of screwed over the people who didn't play the game for hours every day.

At the end of the day, though. It was all for cosmetic stuff, so nothing of significance was lost.

This does not look good.

For the tinfoil hat-wearing armchair-dev neckbeards that cry about "slippery slopes", sure, it doesn't look good. For the people who enjoyed getting cosmetic loot without having to grind endlessly, they're at risk of losing their well-rested bonus just because some stupid streamers want more more more.

But it's cosmetics? Cosmetics you can pay to get more of? Why am I being slowed for playing the damn game when I can spend money to bypass the system entirely? I don't give a crap that SP activities are more "exploitable," I'm playing the damn game. There is nothing to be gained by this throttling but increased profits.

+1

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, November 25, 2017, 05:53 (2351 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

I’m tired of seeing “it’s just cosmetic.” That’s the dumbest, laziest defense. It’s still in the game, and pretending that Destiny isn’t about looking cool is just asinine.

If they weren’t actively trying to sell those cosmetics in randomized packages, it wouldn’t be as much of an issue. But since they are, it seems really fucking shitty.

I think Korny is right, in that it was possibly designed to reward players who play in shorter bursts rather than to punish those who binge, but the ability to pay real money to make it irrelevant definitely muddies the waters and makes it feel sort of sleazy.

XP in Destiny 2

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, November 24, 2017, 20:53 (2352 days ago) @ Korny

So like PC Gamer magazine?

I'm honestly surprised at this outcome. My initial feeling was that it was almost certainly a bug, because intentionally diminishing XP rewards—particularly when real-money transactions are at stake—didn't seem like something any reasonable company would do. Yet here we have virtually a straight-up admission that they were holding back XP gains, and thus the bright engrams that otherwise have to be purchased for cash—and kept it all quiet until somebody noticed, making changes on short notice over a holiday weekend. That is really not a good look.

Also this has jack squat to do with well rested.

XP in Destiny 2

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 24, 2017, 23:26 (2352 days ago) @ Korny

Sounds like gamers.

Over time, I keep seeing things like this, and I keep having the same ideas, but they seem wrong. I keep seeing developers do a rational thing, listening to their fanbase's loudest and most insane people, and compromise the integrity of the game, making it worse, which the fanbases then complain about.

Am I just looking at this kind of stuff with a huge bias? Can someone tell me this is wrong?

XP in Destiny 2

by General Battuta, Saturday, November 25, 2017, 10:29 (2351 days ago) @ Korny

It's explicitly not a well-rested bonus, though; you get *less* XP than your interface tells you. A bonus would give you *more* than anticipated, then decay to normal gain rate.

XP in Destiny 2

by FyreWulff, Saturday, November 25, 2017, 10:40 (2351 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This does not look good.

Except they also throttled cR gain in Reach, and that had no MTs.

I'm so disappointed in them.

by EffortlessFury @, Friday, November 24, 2017, 19:58 (2352 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

XP in Destiny 2

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, November 25, 2017, 11:12 (2351 days ago) @ CyberKN

Since Day one Bungie has developed the Destiny games to incentives people into playing an variety of activities instead of just grinding the same thing over and over. Examples exist from long before the game even had silver. People complained about it then, and now. If you like narrow focused grinding, I sort of get it (though, if you like grinding then what's the problem with it taking longer?) but I honestly fail to connect this to micro transactions. I don't play anywhere near enough for this XP throttling to really effect me and I still seem to have one or more visits to Tess in each of my gaming sessions.

Separately, though, this is another downside of adding microtransactions to your game. It adds a bad motive to which players can ascribe the motivation for all mistakes or even just unpopular decisions.

Disclaimer: I totally get that people don't like not getting what they "earned" and Bungie was very wrong and pretty dumb for hiding this mechanic until it became a PR problem, though. That looks/is shady.

XP in Destiny 2

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, November 25, 2017, 11:45 (2351 days ago) @ Vortech

Yeah. Regardless of micro transactions, having the UI lie to players is just a bad idea in general. Throttling at all seems odd too. Crucible matches last a known maximum amount of time. Same with Public Events. Strikes can be sped through but even they can’t be that hard to give a “par time” to. Just balance xp awards against those times and set the per-kill xp award to something high enough to slowly move the needle then don’t worry if enterprising players find a way to exploit one of those systems.

XP in Destiny 2

by Harmanimus @, Saturday, November 25, 2017, 12:37 (2351 days ago) @ CyberKN

Currently, XP will scale up when playing longer or fixed duration activities like Crucible competitive multiplayer matches and the Leviathan Raid

Looks like the Public Event grinders have helped remove even more motivation for doing any of the other activities. Great.

Glad I didn't waste money on pop tarts

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Saturday, November 25, 2017, 17:11 (2351 days ago) @ CyberKN

That promotion was misleading AF

Glad I didn't waste money on pop tarts

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 00:06 (2351 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Oh sweet, we don't even have to worry about microtransactions and we can STILL have an argument about this costing people extra money! :P

XP in Destiny 2

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 09:57 (2350 days ago) @ CyberKN

We are not happy with the results, and we’ve heard the same from the community.

More like we are not happy we got caught. I don't trust this spin

XP in Destiny 2

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 21:56 (2350 days ago) @ CyberKN
edited by Pyromancy, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 22:08

Amongst other things they might do "to try to make this right"
Seeing the Season 1 Bright Engram loot not go away on the 5th as planned and instead continue to appear in the Season 2 loot pool would be nice

(as far as I can tell they still have not even clearly communicated specifically each and every item that will be "going away forever" from Season 1 - and we are basically a week out from the day that these items are scheduled to be gone...)

You cannot be serious

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 12:09 (2348 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Amongst other things they might do "to try to make this right"
Seeing the Season 1 Bright Engram loot not go away on the 5th as planned and instead continue to appear in the Season 2 loot pool would be nice

(as far as I can tell they still have not even clearly communicated specifically each and every item that will be "going away forever" from Season 1 - and we are basically a week out from the day that these items are scheduled to be gone...)

There is an in game pop-up when you launch Destiny 2 today, since the weekly reset overnight.

"SEASONS
Season 1 Ending Soon

The current season ends in less than one week, on Dec. 5 at 10AM PST.

This means that Bright Engram contents and Clan progression will be refreshed for Season 2, beginning December 5. Work with your clan to reach maximum level and unlock this season's Clan Staff. Also, be sure to "earn" [quotes installed by me snarkastically] that Spicy Ramen emote while you can!

More information about Season 2 can be found on bungie.net"

Tess isn't even selling any of the items that we think/know will be going away forever, like the Spicy Ramen emote. We STILL don't even know, in total, exactly which items will be going away.

You cannot be serious

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 12:12 (2348 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Tess isn't even selling any of the items that we think/know will be going away forever, like the Spicy Ramen emote. We STILL don't even know, in total, exactly which items will be going away.

I'm pretty sure everything she is selling is going away. Or at the very least the exotic stuff. I know there is going to be new of whatever armor she gives away.

You cannot be serious

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 12:19 (2348 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Explicit mentions of optimacy sets, emotes (specifically focus on exotic ones) as well as sparrows and ships from the TwitchCon stream, I believe. As well as Ghost shells. Shaders were specifically identified as not going away.

I don’t remember if Exotic Ornaments were mentioned in the context of Bright Engram changes.

I have an honest criticism(observ) that doesnt seem adressed

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Friday, December 01, 2017, 14:08 (2345 days ago) @ Harmanimus
edited by Pyromancy, Friday, December 01, 2017, 14:13

I'm pretty sure everything she is selling is going away. Or at the very least the exotic stuff. I know there is going to be new of whatever armor she gives away.

Explicit mentions of optimacy sets, emotes (specifically focus on exotic ones) as well as sparrows and ships from the TwitchCon stream, I believe. As well as Ghost shells. Shaders were specifically identified as not going away.

I don’t remember if Exotic Ornaments were mentioned in the context of Bright Engram changes.

I decided specifically to wait on this reply for the big "State of the State" address and THAB to see if they cleared up specifically which items will be rotated out. Sorry this post is kind of a hot mess. I've never been very eloquent, which tends to encourage me to keep my mouth shut.

Right. I was the one that posted a Youtube rip of the TwitchCon stream to the forum here... since it was not available any other way, at that time.

The entire point is, it was not explicitly CLEAR nor specified during the stream. We are all still guessing about certain items.

The stream focused on Exotics (Emote, Ship, Sparrow). They didn't show every emote that would be going. They showed 1 Exotic Emote that would be for sure going (Six Shooter) and talked about another one that we can surmise will probably be going away (Spicy Ramen). Showed 1 Exotic Ship that would be going, showed 1 Exotic Sparrow that would be going, showed 1 Ghost that would be going. Along with these what else exactly is going?

Looking back, I think they DID say that Shaders and Exotic Ornaments WILL NOT be specific to Seasons. Meaning, I bet they will add to and rotate the stocks but certain Exotic Ornaments won't get locked away forever and will still be available later

I'd love to see Season One Bright Engram loot remain in the Season 2 loot pool instead of being taken away "forever". I think I would feel less badly about the whole XP thing if this was the case?

For whatever reason during release week I thought it would be cool to track my number of Bright Engrams after reaching Power Level 20 as it would be a mark of how many times I've "leveled up" and earned/received something that I did not and will not pay for.
As I have played the game I have thrown a tally into a notebook next to my TV for each Bright Engram at the time I've decoded it. I've only played one character so far. I started a Titan a week or so ago, but have not progressed past The Farm or earned a Bright Engram for it yet.

(there have been other applicable threads for this observation, but I have decided multiple times not to bring it up in past threads)

I looked up my playtime on some tracker site and it is just north of 200 hours - who knows how much of that is campaign up to 20, AFK, garbage time, etc. (I'm not sure if this ranks as a little time or a lot of time - I don't have any lens for comparison.)

I have "earned" and decoded approximately 44 Bright Engrams
(sure, I may have missed one or two or counted one twice along the way)

I have barely sharded anything so far I think. Judging by my inventory, from these 44 engrams I've received:

• 1 Exotic Ship
  • 1 full set of Optimacy armor just about (I think I accidentally sharded the ugly helmet before I realized or knew it was part of some special set. Bought helmet back when it was available for Dust)
  • 2 Exotic Weapon Ornaments
  • 8 Legendary Ghosts
  • 5 Emotes(blue)
  • 10 Sparrows
  • 11 Legendary Ships
  • some Shaders, Mods, & Transmat FX
  • plus 1 or 2 small Bright Dust packages in weeks past

I recently sharded my shaders which netted me around 1475 Bright Dust. I did not realize that deleting shaders would give me Dust. I would have rather continued to collect these shaders since they could be leaving the market at some point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm appreciative of what I have received so far. I just have a dreadful feeling because basically none of the items I have are on the list of things that are leaving the game. (1 exotic ship qualifies, I think) There are a big handful of other items that are going to go away and I will not have them nor be able to collect them ever again.

If you told me there will be a Season of Triumph at the end of all of this and I will be able to have a chance at these items again I will feel a lot less badly.

*Sadness Emote* (not even kidding, one of the last items I received from a Bright Engram last night)
How many hours invested is required to overcome the "Bad Beat"? How many Engrams must be opened in order to overcome the "Bad Beat"?

I have an honest criticism(observ) that doesnt seem adressed

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Monday, December 04, 2017, 13:33 (2342 days ago) @ Pyromancy

I decided specifically to wait on this reply for the big "State of the State" address and THAB to see if they cleared up specifically which items will be rotated out. Sorry this post is kind of a hot mess. I've never been very eloquent, which tends to encourage me to keep my mouth shut.

Right. I was the one that posted a Youtube rip of the TwitchCon stream to the forum here... since it was not available any other way, at that time.

The entire point is, it was not explicitly CLEAR nor specified during the stream. We are all still guessing about certain items.

The stream focused on Exotics (Emote, Ship, Sparrow). They didn't show every emote that would be going. They showed 1 Exotic Emote that would be for sure going (Six Shooter) and talked about another one that we can surmise will probably be going away (Spicy Ramen). Showed 1 Exotic Ship that would be going, showed 1 Exotic Sparrow that would be going, showed 1 Ghost that would be going. Along with these what else exactly is going?

Looking back, I think they DID say that Shaders and Exotic Ornaments WILL NOT be specific to Seasons. Meaning, I bet they will add to and rotate the stocks but certain Exotic Ornaments won't get locked away forever and will still be available later

I'd love to see Season One Bright Engram loot remain in the Season 2 loot pool instead of being taken away "forever". I think I would feel less badly about the whole XP thing if this was the case?

For whatever reason during release week I thought it would be cool to track my number of Bright Engrams after reaching Power Level 20 as it would be a mark of how many times I've "leveled up" and earned/received something that I did not and will not pay for.
As I have played the game I have thrown a tally into a notebook next to my TV for each Bright Engram at the time I've decoded it. I've only played one character so far. I started a Titan a week or so ago, but have not progressed past The Farm or earned a Bright Engram for it yet.

(there have been other applicable threads for this observation, but I have decided multiple times not to bring it up in past threads)

I looked up my playtime on some tracker site and it is just north of 200 hours - who knows how much of that is campaign up to 20, AFK, garbage time, etc. (I'm not sure if this ranks as a little time or a lot of time - I don't have any lens for comparison.)

I have "earned" and decoded approximately 44 Bright Engrams
(sure, I may have missed one or two or counted one twice along the way)

I have barely sharded anything so far I think. Judging by my inventory, from these 44 engrams I've received:

• 1 Exotic Ship
  • 1 full set of Optimacy armor just about (I think I accidentally sharded the ugly helmet before I realized or knew it was part of some special set. Bought helmet back when it was available for Dust)
  • 2 Exotic Weapon Ornaments
  • 8 Legendary Ghosts
  • 5 Emotes(blue)
  • 10 Sparrows
  • 11 Legendary Ships
  • some Shaders, Mods, & Transmat FX
  • plus 1 or 2 small Bright Dust packages in weeks past

I recently sharded my shaders which netted me around 1475 Bright Dust. I did not realize that deleting shaders would give me Dust. I would have rather continued to collect these shaders since they could be leaving the market at some point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm appreciative of what I have received so far. I just have a dreadful feeling because basically none of the items I have are on the list of things that are leaving the game. (1 exotic ship qualifies, I think) There are a big handful of other items that are going to go away and I will not have them nor be able to collect them ever again.

If you told me there will be a Season of Triumph at the end of all of this and I will be able to have a chance at these items again I will feel a lot less badly.

*Sadness Emote* (not even kidding, one of the last items I received from a Bright Engram last night)
How many hours invested is required to overcome the "Bad Beat"? How many Engrams must be opened in order to overcome the "Bad Beat"?

What is the secret?

Could the game and ‘economy’ be tuned such that each player is basically required to have 3 characters to “earn” all of the items that will be removed from the game world? Besides just limiting the available loot pool with sheer number of engrams you could earn, could simply having a 2nd and 3rd character and unlocking Bright Engrams on your 2nd and 3rd character somehow up your chances at better loot dropping?

Does a starter pack or a silver purchase receipt on your account gain you increased chance of good loot dropping from Bright Engrams? Do I need to "grease the pump" by making my first ever purchase in the Eververse/Silver marketplace?

Does the game nearly require that you play in a particular way that Bungie appears to have tried very hard to ‘prevent’? Focusing on specific areas as a farm or grinding particular game tasks to actually earn EXP at a rate that is requisite enough to ‘earn’ a significant number of Bright Engrams?

Does each and every item from a Bright Engram need to be sharded as you unlock it, in order to liquidate all your assets so you can buy ‘the big prizes’? And then once you “earn “ all the big prizes then you can go back to “collecting” in the predictable and regular fashion?

Or is it the other way around? Do you have to collect everything on hand to limit down the loot pool until you, by chance, receive the big prizes. And then after you get the big prize you can whittle down your inventory if you want to.

Is the Bright Engram loot pool simply just too large and the only way to overcome it is sheer quantity of decryptions?

How is it fair to move the goal posts on the players approximately halfway through the Season? Its even worse than that since in fact we didn’t really even know for sure that Seasons truly existed until Twitchcon. (Clan Banners were one of the only vague clues)

How is it fair to in some ways “change the rules” of the ‘Collection game’, when the game has already begun and is in play with time already expired from the clock (I use this term ‘rules’ very loosely – not in a fully applicable sense)

(I'm hoping to garner any kind of a response from someone that can help provide any insight or ideas. I don't want this post to get buried as all of them seem to)

and it gets worse...

by davidfuchs ⌂, USA, Monday, November 27, 2017, 11:15 (2349 days ago) @ CyberKN

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/11/fan-analysis-forces-bungie-to-confirm-screwy-xp-math-in-destiny-2/

A patch went live on Sunday, and one data-hungry player soon confirmed that all of the XP-scaling systems they'd uncovered were now gone. Players would now be rewarded XP as advertised in the game, no matter what mode was played or for how long.

But this patch introduced another unannounced change to the XP system. Bungie decided to tune the speed of XP gain by doubling the required XP needed to "level up," from 80,000 points to 160,000. Patch notes didn't mention this change; Bungie, once again, had to be questioned by its fanbase before confirming the exact amount of this XP-related change.

and it gets worse...

by Harmanimus @, Monday, November 27, 2017, 11:27 (2349 days ago) @ davidfuchs

Do we have any confirmation that the 80k to 160k is a change as this article implies and not just improperly calculated information/speculation? Ihaven’t been able to find a definitive source for actual XP requirements per “level” gained. I know the general instinct is to judge for the worst but I’d rather judge solid data and not speculative measurements.

and it gets worse...

by davidfuchs ⌂, USA, Monday, November 27, 2017, 11:44 (2349 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Per the article, Bungie's stated that those are the new requirements. It's not a slip-up.

and it gets worse...

by Harmanimus @, Monday, November 27, 2017, 12:18 (2349 days ago) @ davidfuchs

I’ve re-skimmed the article and don’t see a specification that it was changed to 160k, though?

and it gets worse...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 27, 2017, 16:32 (2349 days ago) @ davidfuchs

Per the article, Bungie's stated that those are the new requirements. It's not a slip-up.

And did they modify activities to give proportionally more exp? Doubling the amount of exp to level up has HUGE implications for campaign players starting new characters!

yes

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, November 27, 2017, 11:59 (2349 days ago) @ Harmanimus

https://twitter.com/BungieHelp/status/934945967194779648

The Destiny 2 API has yet to be adjusted to reflect the recent in game change to earned XP. We are working on an API update to address the discrepancy. The correct value to earn an additional level is 160,000 XP.

yes

by Harmanimus @, Monday, November 27, 2017, 12:25 (2349 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

The API is not reflecting the “change to earned XP” yet. Then we have the “correct value to earn an additional level is 160,000 XP” which doesn’t state that is a change from any prior value.

yes

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, November 27, 2017, 12:28 (2349 days ago) @ Harmanimus

The API is not reflecting the “change to earned XP” yet. Then we have the “correct value to earn an additional level is 160,000 XP” which doesn’t state that is a change from any prior value.

the API is showing 80k, it hasn't been changed to 160k yet

yes

by Harmanimus @, Monday, November 27, 2017, 12:39 (2349 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

And that was identified as not being accurate pretty much the first week by me recalling. Something about D1 hold over.

yes

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, November 27, 2017, 12:31 (2349 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

https://twitter.com/BungieHelp/status/934945967194779648

The Destiny 2 API has yet to be adjusted to reflect the recent in game change to earned XP. We are working on an API update to address the discrepancy. The correct value to earn an additional level is 160,000 XP.

This really feels like a stupid topic with a bunch of butthurt people. (I may be slightly butthurt myself tbh.) But big picture this is a saddening thing for me. This isn't the same Bungie from days of Halo. Both in physical personality and mentality. This whole "we make games we want to play" thing is starting to look transparent to their goals. "We want to unhide the fun" (paraphrase) is now starting to sound like indoctrination.

I never want to assume they are doing things for devious reasons and it's unfair to vilify them for wanting to make money. The world of game development and revenue generation has changed since days of Halo and Bungie has properly evolved with the industry. But Bungie has always been recognized as one of the few creators that are plugged in with their fan base and working with them to make improvements. Destiny 2 has really felt like it's just been a back and forth battle with constant downgrades by both parties. This is a perfect example. They "got caught" with this XP system, responded (arguably) rather poorly, and "fixed" it be leveling everything out and doubling the required XP. So something that was only affecting some of the players is now affecting all of the players...quite a bit. That feels like a double down "We are sick of your nitpicking bullshiz guys, maybe this will learn ya.)

Halo was so much fun and created so many memories. The multiplayer was a blast with so much variety! The stories were thoughtful and well contained. It's like they spent 12 or so years developing the perfect game and learned nothing from it and decided to start from scratch...twice. So what has changed the most. Bungie? The Industry? Us? I need some positivity yall. Am I way off base?

yes

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 16:36 (2348 days ago) @ ManKitten

Halo was so much fun and created so many memories. The multiplayer was a blast with so much variety! The stories were thoughtful and well contained. It's like they spent 12 or so years developing the perfect game and learned nothing from it and decided to start from scratch...twice. So what has changed the most. Bungie? The Industry? Us? I need some positivity yall. Am I way off base?

Not only that, but in this particular instance regarding exp scaling, Bungie met with Blizzard and was told all the lessons they learned making loot games and Diablo 3. Blizzard was one of the first to figure out with World of Warcraft that scaling down exp feels like punishment, and getting a boost after not playing feels like a reward. This is literally what they discovered when players in WoW reacted poorly to having their exp scale down.

So why was that advice not taken?

and it gets worse...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, November 27, 2017, 12:27 (2349 days ago) @ davidfuchs
edited by Korny, Monday, November 27, 2017, 12:31

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/11/fan-analysis-forces-bungie-to-confirm-screwy-xp-math-in-destiny-2/

A patch went live on Sunday, and one data-hungry player soon confirmed that all of the XP-scaling systems they'd uncovered were now gone. Players would now be rewarded XP as advertised in the game, no matter what mode was played or for how long.

So #Kornywasright, and they normalized XP gains, ultimately slowing down the rate of Bright Engram acquirement across the board? Goodbye earning more XP from Strikes and Crucible? Welp.

But this patch introduced another unannounced change to the XP system. Bungie decided to tune the speed of XP gain by doubling the required XP needed to "level up," from 80,000 points to 160,000. Patch notes didn't mention this change; Bungie, once again, had to be questioned by its fanbase before confirming the exact amount of this XP-related change.

If the "Well-rested" bonus is gone tomorrow, I better hear some apologies (though it will probably benefit Bungie more to keep it in, since it used to be a neat perk, and now it's a proper incentive).

I think I'm done...

by EffortlessFury @, Monday, November 27, 2017, 13:10 (2349 days ago) @ davidfuchs

These shared world economies are just toxic. I don't think many of the developers of these economies really have a grasp on what they're doing and to an extent I don't blame them. It's a still somewhat young concept with a lot of opportunity for mistakes and missteps, especially considering the (questionable) motivating factors behind the decisions being made.

At the end of the day, though, there are so many other games out there to play, that I want to play, and even already own just waiting for me. Destiny doesn't properly respect time investment; for a game that's about killing things and looking cool, looking cool isn't "technically" funded by your purchase of the game. That's a bit much to ask.

I'll come back to sample the content I've already paid for, and perhaps one day if D2 gets to a stable place I'll participate again. But it's honestly such a shame that the same type of experience can be had in plenty of other games (like Diablo) with so much less hassle.

I think I'm done...

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, November 27, 2017, 13:15 (2349 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

These shared world economies are just toxic. I don't think many of the developers of these economies really have a grasp on what they're doing and to an extent I don't blame them.

hmm, good point. Do any game developers actually employee an economist either directly or through a consulting agreement, to develop an in-game economy?

I think I'm done...

by EffortlessFury @, Monday, November 27, 2017, 13:20 (2349 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

These shared world economies are just toxic. I don't think many of the developers of these economies really have a grasp on what they're doing and to an extent I don't blame them.

hmm, good point. Do any game developers actually employee an economist either directly or through a consulting agreement, to develop an in-game economy?

AFAIK, some do actually have employees with the title "economist." Whether a studio has one, how good they are, and what their "mandated goals" are will be the chief contributing factors to quality decision making, I think.

Valve is pretty serious about it

by marmot 1333 @, Monday, November 27, 2017, 13:27 (2349 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

I think I'm done...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 27, 2017, 17:17 (2349 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

I'll come back to sample the content I've already paid for, and perhaps one day if D2 gets to a stable place I'll participate again. But it's honestly such a shame that the same type of experience can be had in plenty of other games (like Diablo) with so much less hassle.

Just do what I did, and what the game lets you do this time:

Play through the game doing only what you want. Don't grind at all. Then put it down. Like every properly designed game ever.

Remember: perpetual games cannot exist in practice without wasting your time.

Key statement

by yakaman, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 10:29 (2348 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Just do what I did, and what the game lets you do this time:

Play through the game doing only what you want. Don't grind at all. Then put it down. Like every properly designed game ever.

Remember: perpetual games cannot exist in practice without wasting your time.

This seems obvious, but really is key. If you play D2 to make yourself happy you cannot go wrong. It is an excellent game. When it is enough, put it down.

Play with your friends. Play for fun. Don't pursue the doodads.

End-Game economies make life weird.

and it gets worse...

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, November 27, 2017, 13:32 (2349 days ago) @ davidfuchs

People complain about the economy design through an aspect of the implementation, so they alter the implementation while attempting to minimize the effects on the economy design, in a way that exacerbates what people didn't like about the design. And it's done silently, which during a controversy is about the most effective strategy for making something look dishonest.

Is anybody steering this ship?

Same goal, different ways

by marmot 1333 @, Monday, November 27, 2017, 13:41 (2349 days ago) @ CyberKN

It's interesting to me that they used this XP scaling mechanism as opposed to other ways to achieve the same result. Public Events could have awarded less experience, and strikes could have granted more.

Based on what happened, I imagine that they set experience rewards earlier in development, and later wanted to scale/limit the rewards due to exploitability. Public events are quick and easy to find and repeat, whereas strikes take much longer.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned some expectation regarding average activity length. I wonder why Bungie didn't figure out an average "experience per minute" and then settle on that amount for each kind of activity.

This is an example of a fascinating problem that game developers are having now since so many games are "shared" and always online. It boils down to the fact that there will be people who play non-stop and players who jump on for an hour a week, and the developer doesn't want the experience to diverge tremendously between those two. Additionally, if there is an exploit or farming technique, people will probably use it even if it is not fun. (See: Loot cave in vanilla D1)

Personally, I think I fall in the middle of usage. I played a lot of D2 in the first month or so, took a break, then started playing on PC but not nearly as much. Lately I play enough to get the easy milestones (Flashpoint, crucible, clan contributions) each week for one character.

by Harmanimus @, Monday, November 27, 2017, 14:03 (2349 days ago) @ marmot 1333

My assumption, as I have no data to go off of, was that experience scaling wasn’t tied to the activity alone but everything around tomhe activity, to include AI combatants. So from a programming standpoint having one referenced “Red Bar Dreg” experience value that is scaled up or down based on activities would make more sense than referencing a bunch of unique XP values.

But I think the actual inner workings of the system and code are way more complicated than that.

by marmot 1333 @, Monday, November 27, 2017, 14:13 (2349 days ago) @ Harmanimus

My understanding was that it was the lump sum amounts granted by activities that was being scaled. For instance a Public Event would reward 8000 XP on completion, as would a strike. But subsequent Public Event completions within a certain amount of time would be scaled down.

That was based off reading that one Reddit post that was linked earlier and Bungie's (admittedly vague) statement of the issue.

by Harmanimus @, Monday, November 27, 2017, 14:28 (2349 days ago) @ marmot 1333

That makes sense from the information I have parsed together. I just figured that the system was more involved than simply end-of-activity rewards. Especially with the way I saw people comparing data with and without AI combatant kills.

Meh.

by ProbablyLast, Monday, November 27, 2017, 14:43 (2349 days ago) @ CyberKN

Now my character won’t have an annoying message the once every other week I log in and go to the tower to dismantle clan rewards.

Cool?

The heart of this issue, IMO...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, November 27, 2017, 15:07 (2349 days ago) @ CyberKN

Others have brought this up, but I think the real crux of this situation comes down to a question of intent.

People can argue back and forth about how big or small a deal this is, how much or how little the cosmetic items matter, and how many or how few players are effected by it. But in my view, those are all artifacts of the real question: Did Bungie implement this system on purpose, and if so, why?

Many people are defending Bungie by saying that none of this matters that much, that it only relates to cosmetics and the 1% of players who are grinding for them, etc. I don't disagree with any of those comments.

But I think those comments inherently skip over the issue of "well if it is so unimportant, than why did Bungie take the time to put it in the game?" Because logically speaking, if they took the time to implement it, then it must be important to them. And that's where things get a little concerning.

Bungie's response certainly makes it sound as if this XP-throttling was done on purpose, so I'm working from that point until we're told differently. So if it was in fact a feature and not a bug, then what possible reason could there be for clamping down on XP gains that do nothing but earn cosmetic drops, and hiding it from the player? It's not like the loot cave... players aren't getting legendary engrams. Nothing is happening that changes the in-game player power dynamics in any way.

I can only think of 2 possible reasons for Bungie to clamp down on XP gains. It could be that Bungie thought that grinding Public Events would get players up to level 20 too quickly... but if that's the case, I would ask 2 things:
a) Really?
and b) then why hide the fact that XP gains were being reduced? Why not be transparent about it?

The other explanation I can think of does not look so good for Bungie. And that's the possibility that they didn't want players earning Bright Engrams so quickly that they'd never feel the need to buy any. So they artificially slowed down the progression towards earning them, and hid it from the player.

Does this particular situation impact my day-to-day playtime with Destiny 2? Not in the least. Practically speaking, I couldn't care less. But if Bungie intentionally misrepresented player progress specifically to increase the sales of in-game items, then that is yet another blow to my already shaky trust in their integrity as a game developer. And lest that statement be blown way out of proportion, I don't need to trust a studio at all to buy and enjoy their games (I just bought Battlefront 2, for crying out loud ;p). It just means that I am less likely to take Bungie at their word with regards to... well... anything, really. And that's ok. It's not bad to approach any relationship with a business that way. It's just disappointing on an emotional level.

by Zero @, Florida, Monday, November 27, 2017, 16:14 (2349 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I can only think of 2 possible reasons for Bungie to clamp down on XP gains. It could be that Bungie thought that grinding Public Events would get players up to level 20 too quickly... but if that's the case, I would ask 2 things:
a) Really?
and b) then why hide the fact that XP gains were being reduced? Why not be transparent about it?

The other explanation I can think of does not look so good for Bungie. And that's the possibility that they didn't want players earning Bright Engrams so quickly that they'd never feel the need to buy any. So they artificially slowed down the progression towards earning them, and hid it from the player.

While either of those can be true, there's the possibility of a 3rd option: Bungie just honestly trying to steer players away from activities that can be completed too quickly for rewards to longer activities that might be more rewarding XP wise; which they did in Reach. Problem with that is though, Public Events are too rewarding regardless of how quickly they get done and every other activity is not as rewarding and subject to the token economy leaving most players who participate not feeling like their time was valued. But something like that's a whole other discussion.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, November 27, 2017, 17:35 (2349 days ago) @ Zero

While either of those can be true, there's the possibility of a 3rd option: Bungie just honestly trying to steer players away from activities that can be completed too quickly for rewards to longer activities that might be more rewarding XP wise; which they did in Reach. Problem with that is though, Public Events are too rewarding regardless of how quickly they get done and every other activity is not as rewarding and subject to the token economy leaving most players who participate not feeling like their time was valued. But something like that's a whole other discussion.

The problem with this one how the XP displayed did not reflect the throttling/boosting. How can you steer players if they never notice any changes? I want to believe this discrepancy is actually a bug, though, and they turned off the throttling/boosting because of the public reception of it (regardless of the bug).

^

by Funkmon @, Monday, November 27, 2017, 21:21 (2349 days ago) @ Zero

But I do love Bingle's continuous track record of pacifying the masses by changing things in name only but keeping the same intent. It's pretty funny.

^

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 08:43 (2348 days ago) @ Funkmon

But I do love Bingle's continuous track record of pacifying the masses by changing things in name only but keeping the same intent. It's pretty funny.

There’s an old trick that audio engineers love to use when they’re mixing a new recording... they’ll keep a knob or dial on their console that’s set to do absolutely nothing. So when the guitar player leans over their shoulder and says “hey, can you punch up the drums a bit?” or something equally vague, the engineer will just turn the dial that does nothing and say “how’s that?”

Works every time ;)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 08:38 (2348 days ago) @ Zero

a) Really?

That’s certainly possible, but my response would again be “why hide it from the player?”. If the expressed goal is to steer players away from repeating the same activity over and over, then one would think that Bungie would make diminishing XP returns as obvious as possible.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 08:55 (2348 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

“Wasn’t working as intended” doesn’t necessarily mean it wasn’t providing the XP incorrectly. It could just have been displaying incorrectly and since the community jumped to the extreme Bungie only really had the option to shut it off.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 15:31 (2348 days ago) @ Harmanimus

“Wasn’t working as intended” doesn’t necessarily mean it wasn’t providing the XP incorrectly. It could just have been displaying incorrectly and since the community jumped to the extreme Bungie only really had the option to shut it off.

Not sure I follow you there... I’m certainly open to the possibility that this was a bug of some kind (if that’s what you’re suggesting). As I said in my first post, Bungie’s language implied that this system wasn’t a bug, so I’m basing my assessment from that point unless we hear otherwise.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 21:43 (2348 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I don't think the system was a bug at all. I do think it was designed to scale up and down XP to load balance during activities. However, a lot of contention is on what the is displayed by the XP bar. Whether the values weren't working as intended or if the system wasn't displaying certain things properly are both things that came to mind personally when the subject came up.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 06:15 (2347 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I don't think the system was a bug at all. I do think it was designed to scale up and down XP to load balance during activities. However, a lot of contention is on what the is displayed by the XP bar. Whether the values weren't working as intended or if the system wasn't displaying certain things properly are both things that came to mind personally when the subject came up.

That’s sort of what I’m getting at too. What you’re proposing is a totally realistic and sensible explaination. But then why didn’t Bungie just say “The XP display is broken, and we’re going to fix it”? Maybe that explaination is coming today.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 07:24 (2347 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Because folks are complaining about the system itself, not just the display, so Bungie is now feeling like changing the system.

This.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 09:20 (2347 days ago) @ ZackDark

From a PR standpoint if the XP system was working as intended, even if it was providing a net boon, the community has already decided that the system is bad. (Kinda like with those recent, high-profile [and completely valid] Overwatch bans; the current Epic games suit against “a 14 year old” when they were following the appropriate steps required as response by the defendants chosen actions)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 08:56 (2348 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

a) Really?

That’s certainly possible, but my response would again be “why hide it from the player?”. If the expressed goal is to steer players away from repeating the same activity over and over, then one would think that Bungie would make diminishing XP returns as obvious as possible.

True, I would agree with you. But at the same time Bungie is also very much into making the game fun without know why it's fun. Seemlessness, in game play and User Interface. Yes, they need to change that the experience is changing dynamically when showing XP gain. But what they need to do is make it obvious through the bar, that if you grind the same thing over and over again your XP bar grinds to a stop.

This is all very hard to do imo. But I also think it lines up with what Bungie want for Destiny all along, diverse activities that allow people to have fun without feeling like they are working too hard. Grinding public events for loot is not what Bungie intended for public events. They implemented this XP debuf to make that happen.

I don't consider it "throttling the grinders" I consider it as Bungie making a game that they wanted to make.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 15:25 (2348 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

a) Really?

True, I would agree with you. But at the same time Bungie is also very much into making the game fun without know why it's fun. Seemlessness, in game play and User Interface. Yes, they need to change that the experience is changing dynamically when showing XP gain. But what they need to do is make it obvious through the bar, that if you grind the same thing over and over again your XP bar grinds to a stop.

This is all very hard to do imo. But I also think it lines up with what Bungie want for Destiny all along, diverse activities that allow people to have fun without feeling like they are working too hard. Grinding public events for loot is not what Bungie intended for public events. They implemented this XP debuf to make that happen.

I don't consider it "throttling the grinders" I consider it as Bungie making a game that they wanted to make.

Everything you say is certainly possible. However, my estimation, that scenario simply doesn’t add up. It took months of play and extensive testing for the community to even realize there was XP scaling happening. If scaling was so successfully hidden, then it certainly wasn’t influencing the play patterns of most players, right?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 16:07 (2348 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 16:40

Everything you say is certainly possible. However, my estimation, that scenario simply doesn’t add up. It took months of play and extensive testing for the community to even realize there was XP scaling happening. If scaling was so successfully hidden, then it certainly wasn’t influencing the play patterns of most players, right?

My take on the reaction is this:

The scaling system, or even the lack of UI for the scaling system isn't the real issue. Others have said scaling systems are common in many of these types of games, and serve a purpose.

I think the issue here, is that beyond level 20, exp is only used to get bright engrams, and bright engrams are available for money. So the scaling is put in place to prevent players from doing activities repeatedly in order to get bright engrams without paying.

Remember, exp does literally nothing else but get you bright engrams after level 20. Grinding these events for exp will not grant you an advantage in game (public events are lucrative with gear rewards though, but that wasn't scaled). You could at least then make the argument that throttling exp could be a beneficial thing if exp made you more powerful. But it doesn't.

And because exp does nothing but get you cosmetics, there isn't really an incentive power wise to grind events. Thus, people unconcerned about cosmetics will play the events that interest them, since for those people exp is pretty much no reward at all.

So the only thing a player could conceivably be doing by grinding events beyond level 20 to get exp would be trying to get cosmetic gear without paying. Throttling exp only really effects this (after level 20), so the intent is clear: we don't want you to bypass paying money to get bright engrams. If exp had some sort of other functionality, the scaling might be justified.

That alone is shady, but the fact that it was hidden makes it more so. That's what I'm guessing the reaction is about.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 17:39 (2348 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And because exp does nothing but get you cosmetics, there isn't really an incentive power wise to grind events. Thus, people unconcerned about cosmetics will play the events that interest them, since for those people exp is pretty much no reward at all.

So the only thing a player could conceivably be doing by grinding events beyond level 20 to get exp would be trying to get cosmetic gear without paying. Throttling exp only really effects this (after level 20), so the intent is clear: we don't want you to bypass paying money to get bright engrams. If exp had some sort of other functionality, the scaling might be justified.

I mostly agree with what you're trying to say. But grinding Public Events doesn't purely have to be for cosmetics. It could be for gear. Sure, it won't be that helpful for leveling up, but we're mostly at the point where that's irrelevant. I'm at 303 or so and have plenty of 300 level stuff that's just infusion fodder at this point. Grinding Public Events is the fastest way to just get gear, if you're trying to complete a world set or just otherwise completing collections. That's probably just as big a motivator as Bright Engrams for some folks.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 17:43 (2348 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I mostly agree with what you're trying to say. But grinding Public Events doesn't purely have to be for cosmetics. It could be for gear. Sure, it won't be that helpful for leveling up, but we're mostly at the point where that's irrelevant. I'm at 303 or so and have plenty of 300 level stuff that's just infusion fodder at this point. Grinding Public Events is the fastest way to just get gear, if you're trying to complete a world set or just otherwise completing collections. That's probably just as big a motivator as Bright Engrams for some folks.

That is why I qualified the statement as being only about exp. Gear rewards are not scaled. Only the exp rewards are scaled. So Bungie did not see a problem with earning gear too fast - only exp.

by EffortlessFury @, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 18:18 (2348 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That is why I qualified the statement as being only about exp. Gear rewards are not scaled. Only the exp rewards are scaled. So Bungie did not see a problem with earning gear too fast - only exp.

Part of what gets me is that activities like Public Events were granting enough XP to trigger the throttling entirely by itself. Like, if I hop on to do the public events needed for the weekly challenge, why am I being restricted on how much XP I'm getting even though I'm doing what the game tells me I should be doing?

I get that I'm getting other rewards in the process but it feels so skeevy.

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 18:45 (2348 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Ummmmm... wouldn't they just make the cool cosmetics only available via money if that were the case. There is a way to "earn" them so I'm not sure your conclusion is as concrete as you think. Maybe it's that they want to give you something to continue to chase so that people keep filling the world. I think one of them even said that was their design goal this time around- fill the world with cosmetics rather than forcing people on a power grind. At the time, I believe everyone was cool with that trade because it was all cosmetic. The catch is, if you accrue everything too quickly, there's nothing really to chase and people leave the game. People are leaving anyway, but I don't think it's over this.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, November 27, 2017, 16:33 (2349 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I can only think of 2 possible reasons for Bungie to clamp down on XP gains.

Yes, but how many reasons can you think of for Bungie scaling them up? Because that was happening too, as per XP In Destiny 2:

Currently, XP will scale up when playing longer or fixed duration activities like Crucible competitive multiplayer matches and the Leviathan Raid, and XP will scale down when playing activities that can be quickly, repeatedly chained, like grinding Public Events.

My guess is that the XP scaling was meant to do a few different things:

• Provide an even, measured progression as you unlocked skills and subclasses.
  • Even out XP gains for those playing longer activities vs those bouncing between shorter events.
  • Provide occasional rewards for just playing the game in the form of Bright Engrams.
  • Prevent players from earning Bright Engrams too quickly so that purchasing them would remain a temptation.

I don’t like the game lying to us about xp gains and I’d bet keeping Bright Engrams a temptation was a part of the consideration for this whole xp system, but if the scaling up is also true, then shouldn’t that part of the system get a paragraph or two’s consideration as well?

Good point

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 08:40 (2348 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 08:46 (2348 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I couldn’t finish pretty much any of the reporting or commentaries about this throughout the media and Destiny community for the fact thqt all anyone wanted to talk about was the negative, given that they weren’t even going to acknowledge an opposing side.

I guess you get more views if you feed the flames instead of doing a balanced consideration of available information, though.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 15:21 (2348 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I couldn’t finish pretty much any of the reporting or commentaries about this throughout the media and Destiny community for the fact thqt all anyone wanted to talk about was the negative, given that they weren’t even going to acknowledge an opposing side.

I guess you get more views if you feed the flames instead of doing a balanced consideration of available information, though.

As I’ve pointed out in other comments, the fact that the scaling XP was hidden from the player does cast a shadow on the possibility of this being purely a well-intentioned design goal. It’s not impossible... the scaling could have been hidden due to lack of time to implement, or maybe it simply came down to a bad decision. But hiding XP scaling does seem to work against the argument that XP scaling was done to encourage a diverse gameplay experience.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 21:46 (2348 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Then why have it boost XP gains in any activity at all then? Crucible games after they shut it off were giving me less XP. So that's why I can't assume it was all about getting people to pay for Brightgrams, which is what most of the media I've been bumping into is focusing on.

In the same way that basically all game related media has been negative following all the Battlefront 2 stuff.

+1

by cheapLEY @, Monday, November 27, 2017, 20:50 (2349 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'd be lying if I said I really cared about this. It mostly doesn't affect me, due in no small part to not currently playing the game, but also because when I do play, I'm not just trying to grind out Bright Engrams. As always, the best way to play Destiny is by ignoring its economy and loot systems as motivation and just enjoying playing with friends.

And, as always, even when it is possible to play the game that way, it doesn't excuse Bungie's terrible economy and loot system designs. Maybe there are good reasons for doing what they're doing (besides the obvious "to sell loot boxes" reason, I mean), but, as always, Bungie's communication is abysmal and the way they go about changing things with no or vague information looks extremely shady and inspires absolutely no confidence.

Assuming the worse has worked more often than not for predicting Bungie's behavior in the Destiny era, unfortunately, and this whole situation is pretty par for that course.

+1

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 07:26 (2348 days ago) @ cheapLEY

As always, the best way to play Destiny is by ignoring its economy and loot systems as motivation and just enjoying playing with friends.

I agree with this. However, D2 just isn't fun enough to keep my friends playing the game at all. There are plenty of other games that are more enjoyable as a gaming experience.

Traction in the Press

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 27, 2017, 23:19 (2349 days ago) @ CyberKN

This thing is getting a ton of negative attention in the press. The perception and reach of this seems way worse than the "throwing money at the screen" incident. Mainstream outlets outside of gaming are reporting this.

The debacle with Star Wars demonstrably hurt sales for EA. Loot Boxes as a whole seem to be very taboo right now. There was a legitimate financial impact for them.

I think low sales of Curse of Osiris could actually hurt Bungie irreparably given the timing of this.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread