EDZ Public Event near Devrim on Xbox One X... (Destiny)

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 11:51 (2347 days ago)

Does not have slow down. I know it sucks that this is needed for the game to work properly in this area, but since I have one, I was able to get a public event that ended there, and I had zero issue this time. Figured I would pass the info along.

EDZ Public Event near Devrim on Xbox One X...

by DEEP_NNN, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 12:11 (2347 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Yep, can confirm. I've yet to experience slow down on anything since getting 1X.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 12:45 (2347 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Yep, can confirm. I've yet to experience slow down on anything since getting 1X.

Assassin’s Creed Origins has some frame rate issues within the first 5 seconds of the very first cutscene on the 1X, lol

by DEEP_NNN, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 12:57 (2347 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Assassin’s Creed Origins has some frame rate issues within the first 5 seconds of the very first cutscene on the 1X, lol

To be more clear, I was only talking about D2 at 1080p.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 13:03 (2347 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

To be more clear, I was only talking about D2 at 1080p.

I know... I was just jumping on the opportunity to troll AC Origins a little bit :)

Its growing on me now, but the early portions of that game are... well, they’re not good.

by DEEP_NNN, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 13:36 (2347 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It's not a game I'd buy but I've read it was gorgeous looking.

It doesn't play well?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 14:30 (2347 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

It doesn't play well?

It honestly plays really well on a base PS4. I didn't notice any technical issues at the beginning, it's just a sort of chopped up, crappily constructed set of sequences that don't initially make a whole lot of sense.

Extremely minor AC Origins spoilers

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 14:32 (2347 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 14:46

It doesn't play well?

It's... tough to describe quickly.

The first AC game I ever played was AC2. Its a fantastic game, and at the time I was particularly impressed by how smoothly and seamlessly they brought me into the world, introduced me to the characters, brought in mechanics and systems and trained me how to play the game. It was all blended together in a way that felt natural and compelling. I was almost 10 hours into the game when an achievement popped up for completing the "training", and it made me laugh because I hadn't felt like I was being "trained" at all... that's how natural it all felt.

But Origins is so disjointed and clumsy, both in terms of how they introduce the narrative as well as mechanics. You start the game by being dropped into a small series of dark rooms with nothing to do but loot small amounts of currency from all these ancient vases. I'm thinking "really... this is how you start your game? Running up to a bunch of jars and looting coins for 15 minutes?" They introduce the basic climbing mechanics, but only partially. And as you go along, the training and instruction starts to feel completely arbitrary. They tell you which button to press to climb on to your camel, then tell you to get off your camel without telling you which button accomplishes that action (made worse by the fact that you need to hold a certain button to get off your camel). I've played 3 or 4 hours now, and its been a series of little moments like that the entire time. They toss all these systems and mechanics at you (either through gameplay or through the UI) and seem to randomly pick a few details to explain to you without explaining the rest. And I'm ok with being left to figure stuff out on my own, but only if I'm given the space and abilities to do so. For example, it took me several accidental fights in the street to figure out why patrolling guards would sometimes draw their swords and attack me, and other times walk right by me. They were responding to whether or not I had my sword drawn. Totally fair... except there is no button to sheath your sword... you just have to wait for it to happen on its own.

It just feels like they built the game, then cobbled together a vague intro. It doesn't feel crafted or thought out in any substantial way.

There's also some technical stuff. AC games have always had some goofy bugs in them, and this game is no different (the first time I set my mount to auto pilot, it plowed straight through a crowd of women and children, killing all of them). Stuff like that just makes me laugh... no problem. But there's a strange kind of technical jank that only pops up in 1 out of every 2 or 3 AC games. I think it has to do with the multi-studio approach they take to the franchise. One of their lead studios seems to do bizarre things with the game engine that make things feel strangely amateur in a way that you rarely see in AAA games. I first noticed it in AC3, then again in AC Syndicate (took me 3 tries to get the name of that game right... they all blur together lol). I'm talking about things like having the game fade to black for loading and saving, CONSTANTLY. Like, mid cutscene, in the middle of a dramatic moment, there's suddenly a 10 second black screen while the rest of the cut scene loads. And this might happen multiple times in a single cutscene. Or strange performance hiccups (I already mentioned the frame rate diving within the first 5 seconds of the game, during a cutscene).

All that said, it is a very pretty game with great scenery, and I'm having fun just being in the world for now. It's just strange to play a game that in some ways is like the height of AAA production values, and then in other ways feels totally hacked together and amateurish in its delivery.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 14:35 (2347 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

All that said, it is a very pretty game with great scenery, and I'm having fun just being in the world for now.

I wonder how long that will last. This game is absolutely huge. I mean massive. I'm 30 hours in and have more than half of the map still blacked out because I've never been there.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 14:39 (2347 days ago) @ cheapLEY

All that said, it is a very pretty game with great scenery, and I'm having fun just being in the world for now.

I wonder how long that will last. This game is absolutely huge. I mean massive. I'm 30 hours in and have more than half of the map still blacked out because I've never been there.

Yeah, at this rate it's going to take something major happening to make me want to get all the way through. The story did just get a little more interesting (I just met Aya... or should I say BAEya?). But I can't say I'm very captivated.

That said, I was feeling somewhat cool on AC4 Black Flag until several hours into the game (when it suddenly became a completely different game) and that turned out being one of my favorite games ever, so who knows.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 14:47 (2347 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I have definitely enjoyed it the more I played. The main story never gets that compelling, I don't think (at least it hasn't as far as I've played it). The side quests are more interesting than AC side quest have ever been, and I genuinely like Bayek as a character. He feels like a real dude with an obvious axe to grind, but he is also really warm and often charming and cares about the people around him.

Mostly, the thing keeping me going is the world. It's large and beautiful and feels like a real place, and I just enjoy exploring it.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 14:56 (2347 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I have definitely enjoyed it the more I played. The main story never gets that compelling, I don't think (at least it hasn't as far as I've played it). The side quests are more interesting than AC side quest have ever been, and I genuinely like Bayek as a character. He feels like a real dude with an obvious axe to grind, but he is also really warm and often charming and cares about the people around him.

Mostly, the thing keeping me going is the world. It's large and beautiful and feels like a real place, and I just enjoy exploring it.

There’s some real brilliance happening with the art direction in this game. Egypt might be the most sparse location for an AC game yet, but they’ve created beauty out of the simplicity of the landscapes. The way the light saturates everything, and the way colours fade just right in the distance... it’s gorgeous.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 14:32 (2347 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Does not have slow down. I know it sucks that this is needed for the game to work properly in this area, but since I have one, I was able to get a public event that ended there, and I had zero issue this time. Figured I would pass the info along.

That's great! Now go test the Witch Ritual on Titan. I always get massive slowdown anytime I get near the water in the center of that room (when the event is active and crazy, anyhow). Come to think of it, it might not actually be that much of an issue anymore--the event is over within thirty seconds now that everyone is so strong, so maybe it doesn't last long enough to actually get all that crazy.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Friday, December 01, 2017, 08:21 (2346 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Weird, I never had that. Will try to check for you.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 18:08 (2347 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy
edited by Korny, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 18:12

Yeah, I was trying out the D2 trial on a bone and was surprised by how... wonky some of it is on Xbox (also heard from Chappy, Squid and them that there are some weird Raid bugs as well that are absent on PS4, such as the invisible player thing). The only place on PS4 where there is slowdown is the Witch Ritual (Witchual), whenever Supers get spammed (them Orpheus Tethers). Nice to see that the Xbone X fixes y'alls issues, but it might be a bad sign for the base console moving forward. I hope the X doesn't become the standard requirement...

Raid bugs

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 19:05 (2346 days ago) @ Korny

there are some weird Raid bugs as well that are absent on PS4, such as the invisible player thing

Wait… that doesn't happen on PS4!? How about the raid bug that prevents players from spawning-in properly after a wipe when you're on the first raid instance of the week? The two are linked and they happen with extreme regularity on both XB1 and PC.

Raid bugs

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 21:50 (2346 days ago) @ Beorn

there are some weird Raid bugs as well that are absent on PS4, such as the invisible player thing

Wait… that doesn't happen on PS4!? How about the raid bug that prevents players from spawning-in properly after a wipe when you're on the first raid instance of the week? The two are linked and they happen with extreme regularity on both XB1 and PC.

The lack-of-someone-spawning one happens, yeah. Mostly on Calus, but we've had it happen on Gauntlet as well. Goes away as soon as one or two players go to Orbit.

I'm concerned

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, December 01, 2017, 07:55 (2346 days ago) @ Korny

Yeah, I was trying out the D2 trial on a bone and was surprised by how... wonky some of it is on Xbox (also heard from Chappy, Squid and them that there are some weird Raid bugs as well that are absent on PS4, such as the invisible player thing). The only place on PS4 where there is slowdown is the Witch Ritual (Witchual), whenever Supers get spammed (them Orpheus Tethers). Nice to see that the Xbone X fixes y'alls issues, but it might be a bad sign for the base console moving forward. I hope the X doesn't become the standard requirement...

About how long they're going to string base consoles (XB1 more so than the PS4) along with sub par experiences.

I'm concerned

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, December 01, 2017, 08:41 (2346 days ago) @ kidtsunami

About how long they're going to string base consoles (XB1 more so than the PS4) along with sub par experiences.

Yeah. On PS4, Lawbreakers has a stutter on the base console that is consistent enough to mar the entire experience. Fortunately, literally nobody plays it, so there's no real harm done to players who haven't made the upgrade to a Pro. But I can only imagine how it would perform on an Xbone.

On the flipside, Horizon Zero Dawn is a game that should obviously tax the base console, but other than longer loading screens, you'd be hard pressed to see any dip in performance at any point, so it's really the developers who fail to optimize or cut the right corners to get the game running fine. That said, I remember when Bungie tried to do this with Destiny 1 to get it running on the Xbone, but Microsoft put its foot down to stop getting <1080p ports of games. Seems like Bungie's made huge steps on their end to have Destiny 2 looking so great, with only the minor issues that seem to crop up here and there.

Totally with you, though. Premium consoles should not be the standard. They should have bonuses and neat perks, but they shouldn't be required to get a full, smooth experience.

I'm concerned

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, December 01, 2017, 08:42 (2346 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I never really noticed this slowdown, but maybe I don't notice such things as readily. I remember marveling at how beautiful D1 looked on the 360, even though I could obviously see a difference when I played on the Xbone.

For the record, the PS3 version was okay, but obviously subpar compared to every other version.

I'm concerned

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, December 01, 2017, 09:00 (2346 days ago) @ Kermit

At the very beginning of D2 I noticed slow downs with supers and such but I don't notice slow downs anymore.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread