Tourists, Collectors, and Hobbyists (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 14:58 (2347 days ago)

I'm listening to the latest Bungie Podcast, and the guys are having a conversation that is very hit and miss to me.

On the one hand, I think they've correctly identified their core groups of players: Tourists, who just want to finish the story and then move on, coming back only for major releases, Collectors, who want to have all the things, and hobbyists, for whom playing Destiny is a lifestyle. I think they've properly assessed that the game was made for tourists but should have focused on hobbyists instead.

But the takeaway from that is very strange to me.

Pretty early on, Luke says that - because he was able to get 3 characters all to around 300 power in about a month of casual play - they're talking around the office about whether they made it too easy to gain power level. This conversation is meaningless to me, though, because power level is basically meaningless in the game.

It's like if Luke owned a restaurant, and he noticed that diners would come in, order, wait for their food, and then leave once the food arrived, sometimes without even eating the food, and his takeaway was that it should take longer for the food to come out rather than understanding that maybe his food sucks.

I'm being a little unfair, because there are people who enjoy the progress as the game, but I am not one of those people. So, stepping back:

There are three phases of a game like this:

- Phase 1: The story. The moment to moment gameplay doesn't have to be great if the story is compelling, and vice versa. I hope we can agree that destiny 2's story is at least good enough that most people (certainly most people here) will play through it all. But what about the side missions? Well, they're not as well done, and the level of story per side mission or adventure is not consistent throughout the game. The Nessus side missions, for example, were very compelling to me, but the Titan ones (that I have played) are not very impactful from a storytelling standpoint, so I stopped doing them. Then there's the discoverable lore items on worlds - some of those tell a story, and some are lame excuses for bad jokes. Not only are they hard to find, but there's no checklist of them for someone interested in the story to even know if they've experienced all of the story in a given area. So. Frustrating. Furthermore, what if you hear that there's a great discoverable story moment during a campaign mission? You have to wait until Ikora lets you do that mission again. UGH. So this phase 1 of story experience starts strong and then peters out into frustration.

- Phase 2: The mid-game grind. It is possible to make a game not have a third phase by simply making "max power level" unattainable for the vast majority of players. This is the "get more powerful items in order to tackle harder content in order to get even more powerful items in order to tackle even harder content in order to..." part of a game. Usually this phase involves using whatever your most powerful items are (by number) rather than the items you enjoy using the most or the items that would be more ideal for a given combat situation. But Destiny 2 is in a weird place here, because power level is largely meaningless, and most players of power 280+ have access to almost all of the content of the game, and that makes this mid-game loop "get more powerful items to do the same thing as before to get more powerful items to keep doing the same things to get even more powerful items to continue doing those same things." Of note, this is also the same gameplay loop problem that the vanilla build of Diablo 3 had.

- Phase 3: The end-game. This is when you've reached maximum effective power, and the player progression goal becomes optimizing your gear through perks, mods, ideal weapons for a given situation, and so forth. While the mid-game is balanced around "the most powerful player wins" the endgame assumes equal and maximum power for everyone, and is now balanced by the designers. Destiny, again, does an interesting thing here where PvP is normalized, so every player in PvP is playing endgame PvP all the time, regardless of game mode (which is why pvp enthusiasts such as myself complain about balance so often). Looking back at how Destiny deals with the mid-game (maxing out in effective power around 280) also means that players are in the true endgame earlier than they might expect, which means that reaching max power of 305 is largely anti-climactic because at that point there's no change whatsoever to the gameplay and no additional challenges that unlock at that point.

There are a few outliers here, like the exotic shotgun raid quest thing that only unlocks after you complete a power level 300 mission, or like heroic mode raid etc.. so please don't think I'm talking in total absolutes.

When I compare this to D1, D1 had an almost endless true endgame because of three main things: First, the gameplay, especially PvP, was full of depth and had a very high skill ceiling which made it really really compelling to me. Second, the loot rolls meant that truly optimizing your gear once you hit the max power level and endgame was virtually impossible (and very frustrating). And third, your power level directly affected your performance in IB and Trials, and had a seemingly larger effect in endgame PvE modes as well.

D2's endgame is not at all distinct from the mid-game grind. It sneaks in at 280 power without anyone noticing, which makes reaching 305 disappointing. The power level means almost nothing in any game mode, provided you meet the minimum threshold for that activity. The PvP has been largely dumbed down, lacks the complex movement and is now essentially a positioning based squad combat game. Optimization is simplistic to the point of essentially forcing everyone into the same build, rather than allowing multiple S-tier options. There is less choice and the choices the player does make are less meaningful than D1, which also serves to undermine the value of optimization, thereby resulting in a further diminished true end-game.

All of which brings me back to the podcast and Luke's desire to make the time it takes to reach max power level even longer. Why? Towards what end? Without addressing the true end-game and making the experience of gameplay at maximum power compelling, all you're doing is delaying the inevitable. Whereas if you make the end-game fun, the only complaints about the mid-game is that they can't get to the end game quickly enough.

Tourists, Collectors, and Hobbyists

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, December 01, 2017, 08:42 (2346 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- Phase 1: The story. The moment to moment gameplay doesn't have to be great if the story is compelling, and vice versa. I hope we can agree that destiny 2's story is at least good enough that most people (certainly most people here) will play through it all. But what about the side missions? Well, they're not as well done, and the level of story per side mission or adventure is not consistent throughout the game.

- Phase 2: The mid-game grind. It is possible to make a game not have a third phase by simply making "max power level" unattainable for the vast majority of players. This is the "get more powerful items in order to tackle harder content in order to get even more powerful items in order to tackle even harder content in order to..." part of a game. Usually this phase involves using whatever your most powerful items are (by number) rather than the items you enjoy using the most or the items that would be more ideal for a given combat situation. But Destiny 2 is in a weird place here, because power level is largely meaningless, and most players of power 280+ have access to almost all of the content of the game, and that makes this mid-game loop "get more powerful items to do the same thing as before to get more powerful items to keep doing the same things to get even more powerful items to continue doing those same things." Of note, this is also the same gameplay loop problem that the vanilla build of Diablo 3 had.

Phase 2 is nice and all, but as it presently stands with D1 & D2 it's just repeating content over & over to gain light. In essence it's just sitting in a playlist of random strikes for enough time. That grind gets boring, and Luke's desire to make it longer is a bad idea IMHO. How about we have several strikes of increasing difficulty, the strikes can be unlocked by completing the previous strike & side-missions surrounding/prefacing the new strike. The important thing here is that these are presented as short stories in the game, as if they were smaller bits of phase 1, not just as optional side-quests, but as actual story content. The strikes a true ladder to climb in preparation for the raid!

- Phase 3: The end-game. This is when you've reached maximum effective power, and the player progression goal becomes optimizing your gear through perks, mods, ideal weapons for a given situation, and so forth.

There are a few outliers here, like the exotic shotgun raid quest thing that only unlocks after you complete a power level 300 mission, or like heroic mode raid etc.. so please don't think I'm talking in total absolutes.

I love the idea of quests for weapons, but Bungie has totally lost me on this. They're just not communicated well enough for me to pickup on them and complete them. I have no idea what possible weapons quests are out there & I don't feel that I should have to research it on the internet in order to figure out how to start these quests. There should be some in-game way to communicate what possible content/quests/weapons there are for me to achieve.

Edit: Although blank-spindle was way cool, perhaps after a mystery like that becomes "public knowledge" it should be listed in some quest log / bounty tracker so that I could know about it w/o reading internet forums.

by Harmanimus @, Friday, December 01, 2017, 09:02 (2346 days ago) @ dogcow

All of the Weapon Quests that aren’t for the Raid Exotic are the rewards for the Destination World Quests. 3 have Legendaries at the end of the World Quest and 3 start Exotic Quests immediately following.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, December 01, 2017, 09:20 (2346 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Yeah, I thought the weapon quests were very obvious. I mean at the time I didn't know I was getting an exotic weapon once I started the mission, but once I get the quest to do something, my first thought was "ooo a weapon quest!"

by Claude Errera @, Friday, December 01, 2017, 10:11 (2346 days ago) @ dogcow

I love the idea of quests for weapons, but Bungie has totally lost me on this. They're just not communicated well enough for me to pickup on them and complete them. I have no idea what possible weapons quests are out there & I don't feel that I should have to research it on the internet in order to figure out how to start these quests. There should be some in-game way to communicate what possible content/quests/weapons there are for me to achieve.

Edit: Although blank-spindle was way cool, perhaps after a mystery like that becomes "public knowledge" it should be listed in some quest log / bounty tracker so that I could know about it w/o reading internet forums.

Harmanimus and MacAddictXIV have sort of responded to this, but I wanted to also point out that weapon quests, when they become available to you, show up in the Director as completely-different-from-other-marker icons. They're blue flags, and stand out pretty clearly from the orange Adventures, green NPCs, and so on. You don't need to research them on the internet - unless you actually want to know what you're getting if you do one.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, December 01, 2017, 12:18 (2346 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Harmanimus and MacAddictXIV have sort of responded to this, but I wanted to also point out that weapon quests, when they become available to you, show up in the Director as completely-different-from-other-marker icons. They're blue flags, and stand out pretty clearly from the orange Adventures, green NPCs, and so on. You don't need to research them on the internet - unless you actually want to know what you're getting if you do one.

I must have just totally missed these somehow.

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 01, 2017, 15:28 (2346 days ago) @ dogcow

Phase 2 is nice and all, but as it presently stands with D1 & D2 it's just repeating content over & over to gain light. In essence it's just sitting in a playlist of random strikes for enough time. That grind gets boring, and Luke's desire to make it longer is a bad idea IMHO. How about we have several strikes of increasing difficulty, the strikes can be unlocked by completing the previous strike & side-missions surrounding/prefacing the new strike. The important thing here is that these are presented as short stories in the game, as if they were smaller bits of phase 1, not just as optional side-quests, but as actual story content. The strikes a true ladder to climb in preparation for the raid!

I mean, I know some people like phase 2, but I'm of the opinion that it should only last long enough to serve as a training ground for phase 3 so that players aren't just completely drowning in options once the endgame unlocks. Fully agree (in case it wasn't clear from my post) that phase 2 should be as short as possible and should definitely *not* be made longer (Luke's statement that phase 2 should be made longer is what spurred this entire post, initially).

I really, really like your idea of having strike progression serve as both character power challenges as well as storytelling elements. Ideally, that's how it should always be. Remember how WoW dungeons used to work that way in Vanilla, where you did normals, then the harder normals, then heroics, and then the raid, and the plots kind of interwove? And then they totally borked it in the burning crusade by making heroics doable the moment you hit max level without ever needed to enter a max level normal mode dungeon and everyone was annoyed by this? D2 does the burning crusade thing, except you jump right into the raid without ever needing to do any intermediate steps at all, and the adventure whose plot relates to the raid is totally optional and easily missed. Wheeeee.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, December 01, 2017, 08:59 (2346 days ago) @ Kahzgul

All of which brings me back to the podcast and Luke's desire to make the time it takes to reach max power level even longer. Why? Towards what end? Without addressing the true end-game and making the experience of gameplay at maximum power compelling, all you're doing is delaying the inevitable. Whereas if you make the end-game fun, the only complaints about the mid-game is that they can't get to the end game quickly enough.

I think there is an assumption that those who dumped thousands of hours into Destiny 1 are the players who like the grind. However, I don't think that's actually true. Instead I think most of us who dumped that many hours in were there to enjoy PvP, raiding with friends, tackling difficult challenges with friends etc. We joke about caring about loot, but in reality we don't care that much about it.

If it were me, I'd just dump the light level/power level/phase 2 entirely. Instead, make "gaining power" be unlocking new abilities during the story. Make "gaining power" be about having more tools of destruction at your disposal instead of some random numbers that don't make sense (at least to more casual players).

I can’t “+1” this hard enough

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, December 01, 2017, 09:32 (2346 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

- No text -

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, December 01, 2017, 10:00 (2346 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I think there is an assumption that those who dumped thousands of hours into Destiny 1 are the players who like the grind. However, I don't think that's actually true. Instead I think most of us who dumped that many hours in were there to enjoy PvP, raiding with friends, tackling difficult challenges with friends etc. We joke about caring about loot, but in reality we don't care that much about it.

If it were me, I'd just dump the light level/power level/phase 2 entirely. Instead, make "gaining power" be unlocking new abilities during the story. Make "gaining power" be about having more tools of destruction at your disposal instead of some random numbers that don't make sense (at least to more casual players).

I personally like the light gain. I almost don't really care what it's for. It's reassuring in a sense. Maybe I've just been programmed by gaming companies?

Brainwashed!

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, December 01, 2017, 14:05 (2346 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

How about if the light level does nothing but Bungie still puts pretty, increasing numbers there anyway? :P

Brainwashed!

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, December 01, 2017, 14:06 (2346 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

How about if the light level does nothing but Bungie still puts pretty, increasing numbers there anyway? :P

As long as they keep going up for doing impressive things!

Brainwashed!

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 01, 2017, 15:29 (2346 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Isn't that how it is already?

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 01, 2017, 15:19 (2346 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I'd be so down for that. The endgame just isn't compelling right now *at all* and Luke's takeaway is not that the endgame sucks but rather that, because people are willing to slog through the grindy mid-game to reach endgame, that grind should be longer. It's completely out of touch.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, December 01, 2017, 09:17 (2346 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I'm listening to the latest Bungie Podcast, and the guys are having a conversation that is very hit and miss to me.

On the one hand, I think they've correctly identified their core groups of players: Tourists, who just want to finish the story and then move on, coming back only for major releases, Collectors, who want to have all the things, and hobbyists, for whom playing Destiny is a lifestyle. I think they've properly assessed that the game was made for tourists but should have focused on hobbyists instead.

But the takeaway from that is very strange to me.

Pretty early on, Luke says that - because he was able to get 3 characters all to around 300 power in about a month of casual play - they're talking around the office about whether they made it too easy to gain power level. This conversation is meaningless to me, though, because power level is basically meaningless in the game.

It's like if Luke owned a restaurant, and he noticed that diners would come in, order, wait for their food, and then leave once the food arrived, sometimes without even eating the food, and his takeaway was that it should take longer for the food to come out rather than understanding that maybe his food sucks.

I'm being a little unfair, because there are people who enjoy the progress as the game, but I am not one of those people. So, stepping back:

There are three phases of a game like this:

- Phase 1: The story. The moment to moment gameplay doesn't have to be great if the story is compelling, and vice versa. I hope we can agree that destiny 2's story is at least good enough that most people (certainly most people here) will play through it all. But what about the side missions? Well, they're not as well done, and the level of story per side mission or adventure is not consistent throughout the game. The Nessus side missions, for example, were very compelling to me, but the Titan ones (that I have played) are not very impactful from a storytelling standpoint, so I stopped doing them. Then there's the discoverable lore items on worlds - some of those tell a story, and some are lame excuses for bad jokes. Not only are they hard to find, but there's no checklist of them for someone interested in the story to even know if they've experienced all of the story in a given area. So. Frustrating. Furthermore, what if you hear that there's a great discoverable story moment during a campaign mission? You have to wait until Ikora lets you do that mission again. UGH. So this phase 1 of story experience starts strong and then peters out into frustration.

- Phase 3: The end-game. This is when you've reached maximum effective power, and the player progression goal becomes optimizing your gear through perks, mods, ideal weapons for a given situation, and so forth. While the mid-game is balanced around "the most powerful player wins" the endgame assumes equal and maximum power for everyone, and is now balanced by the designers. Destiny, again, does an interesting thing here where PvP is normalized, so every player in PvP is playing endgame PvP all the time, regardless of game mode (which is why pvp enthusiasts such as myself complain about balance so often). Looking back at how Destiny deals with the mid-game (maxing out in effective power around 280) also means that players are in the true endgame earlier than they might expect, which means that reaching max power of 305 is largely anti-climactic because at that point there's no change whatsoever to the gameplay and no additional challenges that unlock at that point.

When I compare this to D1, D1 had an almost endless true endgame because of three main things: First, the gameplay, especially PvP, was full of depth and had a very high skill ceiling which made it really really compelling to me. Second, the loot rolls meant that truly optimizing your gear once you hit the max power level and endgame was virtually impossible (and very frustrating). And third, your power level directly affected your performance in IB and Trials, and had a seemingly larger effect in endgame PvE modes as well.

D2's endgame is not at all distinct from the mid-game grind. It sneaks in at 280 power without anyone noticing, which makes reaching 305 disappointing. The power level means almost nothing in any game mode, provided you meet the minimum threshold for that activity. The PvP has been largely dumbed down, lacks the complex movement and is now essentially a positioning based squad combat game. Optimization is simplistic to the point of essentially forcing everyone into the same build, rather than allowing multiple S-tier options. There is less choice and the choices the player does make are less meaningful than D1, which also serves to undermine the value of optimization, thereby resulting in a further diminished true end-game.

Guess I'm a tourist who aspires to be a collector and wishes he had time to be a hobbyist.

Haven't listened yet, but I'm frightened by your post. Of course I liked the fact that I leveled up with ease and could stop, have a life, and come back a few times a week to play with friends. This is normal. I sometimes resented what D1 demanded of me. I almost always enjoyed playing, but there were times where I was just trying to tick a box.

by Harmanimus @, Friday, December 01, 2017, 09:31 (2346 days ago) @ Kermit

I wouldn’t be too worried aboit listening. My interpretation of what Luke said was substantially different from what this thread conclude. (I.e., does the fast rate of power increase devalue power v. Would the game be better if the power gain took longer)

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 01, 2017, 15:18 (2346 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I wouldn’t be too worried aboit listening. My interpretation of what Luke said was substantially different from what this thread conclude. (I.e., does the fast rate of power increase devalue power v. Would the game be better if the power gain took longer)

I wonder if it's possible to devalue power since it's virtually meaningless to begin with?

And I definitely think that no, the game would not be better if the power gain took longer. Personally, I really subscribe to the restaurant metaphor. Luke seems to think it should take longer for the food to get to the table because people leave without eating the food but sit there and wait for the food to show up no matter how long it takes. The real problem is that the food sucks.

by Harmanimus @, Friday, December 01, 2017, 15:42 (2346 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I am saying that when I listened to the podcast what you are saying is not what I was hearing. I would need a second listen, but as it stands I do not agree with your initial suppositions because I understood him to be saying something completely different than what you understood.

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 01, 2017, 16:42 (2345 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I am saying that when I listened to the podcast what you are saying is not what I was hearing. I would need a second listen, but as it stands I do not agree with your initial suppositions because I understood him to be saying something completely different than what you understood.

Huh, okay. What I heard was Luke saying "I got 3 characters to around 300 power in about a month of very casual play, and now we're talking around the office about whether that was too fast and too easy."

by Harmanimus @, Friday, December 01, 2017, 18:28 (2345 days ago) @ Kahzgul

He specifically says that on one hand that the easy ascent is really positive, because it can suit life. He follows that by saying "you could make a case" and relating the rest of the comment about how Power is specifically a player facing advancement so perhaps it should have been slower.

As it relates to your supposition of 3 game phases elsewhere in this topic, you are identifying the power cap as being when the end game starts, which is inherently false. The end game starts at End Game activities. Which is 230 Power for the Nightfall. The Raid is 260-280. Offhand I don't remember if Trials has a Power Requirement or not. If you hit 305 I would consider that you have had a 75 power increase during the end game. Now, is your time spent during the end game to power up further too fast or easy?

That is a totally different question, I think, than what you pose. And in that context with what Luke says, I think it is "has that power gain been devalued to players because it goes so fast/easy" and just a consideration of power increase in vacuum.

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 01, 2017, 18:51 (2345 days ago) @ Harmanimus

He specifically says that on one hand that the easy ascent is really positive, because it can suit life. He follows that by saying "you could make a case" and relating the rest of the comment about how Power is specifically a player facing advancement so perhaps it should have been slower.

As it relates to your supposition of 3 game phases elsewhere in this topic, you are identifying the power cap as being when the end game starts, which is inherently false. The end game starts at End Game activities. Which is 230 Power for the Nightfall. The Raid is 260-280. Offhand I don't remember if Trials has a Power Requirement or not. If you hit 305 I would consider that you have had a 75 power increase during the end game.

This fact is not lost on me, and I did point out that Destiny muddies the classic mid-game with the endgame by having power (I think I said above 250) be basically meaningless.

Now, is your time spent during the end game to power up further too fast or easy?

That being said, end game is not about powering up. This is an important distinction. Endgame is where optimization occurs. Conflating that with power level makes it confusing for players to know what's actually a better choice: Power level 250 gun with great perks or power level 260 gun with crap perks? The answer is to keep BOTH in Destiny, the 260 so your engrams are higher power, and the 250 for actual use, but how can you expect someone to know that given how obtuse these mechanics are? Most people won't. Down the line, you'll hear them say "man, I wish I'd saved my..." and you'll know Bungie did a poor job of communicating the true value of the items. I blame the everlasting power level increases for this.

When power level caps, players then KNOW that they are meant to compare the stats and perks and feel of similarly capped items rather than keeping whatever has a bigger number. That's true endgame loot progression. Forcing those comparisons alongside the increasing power numbers (as in D2) is awkward, counterproductive, and confusing.

That is a totally different question, I think, than what you pose. And in that context with what Luke says, I think it is "has that power gain been devalued to players because it goes so fast/easy" and just a consideration of power increase in vacuum.

See, I think he's the one asking the wrong question. The power gain doesn't have any value because power level in Destiny 2 is basically meaningless. "has it been devalued?" No, because it doesn't have any value to begin with. This question implies that Luke thinks bigger numbers have value independent of having any actual effect on the game. May as well go play the calculator on your phone then. Bigger numbers all day, there. Mechanically speaking, there is not much to do once you've crossed that endgame power threshold. It has nothing to do with the value of getting up to 305 power. It has to do with the value of having interesting mechanics and fun activities that allow players to optimize their characters in order to tackle increasing challenges. Destiny 2 dumbed all of that down from D1, and suffers as a result.

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, December 02, 2017, 00:38 (2345 days ago) @ Kahzgul

This fact is not lost on me, and I did point out that Destiny muddies the classic mid-game with the endgame by having power (I think I said above 250) be basically meaningless.

Now, is your time spent during the end game to power up further too fast or easy?

That being said, end game is not about powering up. This is an important distinction. Endgame is where optimization occurs. Conflating that with power level makes it confusing for players to know what's actually a better choice: Power level 250 gun with great perks or power level 260 gun with crap perks? The answer is to keep BOTH in Destiny, the 260 so your engrams are higher power, and the 250 for actual use

If power above 250 is basically meaningless (I don't think it is, but you argued it was just a paragraph above this one), the answer is "shard the 260 one because the better gun is high enough." (Or just infuse the higher one into the lower one! Why keep both?)

Most people I know, including those that really have no clue what they're doing, do this - they find a gun they like, and they stick with it, infusing higher guns into it. Whether you understand the "obtuse mechanics" of leveling or not, this is trivial to understand, and works for almost everyone. I haven't heard ANYONE say "man, I wish I'd saved ____" - which doesn't mean nobody is saying it, just that it's not a fantastic example of a 'representative player'.

Can confirm. I do what Claude said; have no idea what for.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, December 02, 2017, 01:35 (2345 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

by Kahzgul, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 19:08 (2343 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That being said, end game is not about powering up. This is an important distinction. Endgame is where optimization occurs. Conflating that with power level makes it confusing for players to know what's actually a better choice: Power level 250 gun with great perks or power level 260 gun with crap perks? The answer is to keep BOTH in Destiny, the 260 so your engrams are higher power, and the 250 for actual use

If power above 250 is basically meaningless (I don't think it is, but you argued it was just a paragraph above this one), the answer is "shard the 260 one because the better gun is high enough." (Or just infuse the higher one into the lower one! Why keep both?)

Most people I know, including those that really have no clue what they're doing, do this - they find a gun they like, and they stick with it, infusing higher guns into it. Whether you understand the "obtuse mechanics" of leveling or not, this is trivial to understand, and works for almost everyone. I haven't heard ANYONE say "man, I wish I'd saved ____" - which doesn't mean nobody is saying it, just that it's not a fantastic example of a 'representative player'.

I thought about this when I wrote it and decided it would be cumbersome to go into the whole detail "you got a hand cannon that's 260 but you prefer to use the scout that's 250 so you can't infuse because technically they're different classes of weapons" in order to not muddy the main point that I was making about power level vs. weapon feel/perks. Obviously you're right and infusing the higher one into the lower one is what you'd do if they're the same class, so I left all that out with the hope anyone reading it would assume the guns to be a different class by virtue of me not presenting infusing one into the other as an option. Sorry if I made the wrong call. Sometimes we all get so stuck on the details we don't see the forest through the trees in our discussions here.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, December 04, 2017, 01:40 (2343 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Sometimes we all get so stuck on the details we don't see the forest through the trees in our discussions here.

I think you mean inside our discussions here?

well played +1

by Kahzgul, Monday, December 04, 2017, 12:35 (2343 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

- No text -

by Harmanimus @, Monday, December 04, 2017, 21:32 (2342 days ago) @ Kahzgul

To be honest, I had made that consideration to your initial post and felt Claude's response was more than enough. However, with the caveat: I actually will break down weapons or archetypes I don't like even if they are of a reasonably higher power level because I won't use them and get higher personal value out of the materials or even glimmer they provide. With the inclusion of Powerful Engrams that game makes it pretty obvious that I can simply play once or twice a week and still gain progress in power.

Individual play styles bring a lot of variables to the game.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 01, 2017, 18:56 (2345 days ago) @ Kahzgul

All of which brings me back to the podcast and Luke's desire to make the time it takes to reach max power level even longer. Why? Towards what end?

Think about the kind of people who WANT lots of grind that takes longer. This is the hardcore crowd that has nothing but time, and wants their time spent to be rewarded, because there is a false equivalence to time invested and skill at the game.

People like Datto say stuff like this. A guy who had to make a life change because he was sad, played Destiny all day, and had no friends. Do you really want to make a game that encourages THAT? Do you really want to listen to advice from someone who is so obviously dysfunctional? I'm doing my best not to sound like a complete ass, but lengthening the grind really only ultimately helps people like him 'enjoy' your game.

Time spent on a game is not a statistic to be bragged about. It doesn't represent anything of actual importance. But it easy to fall into the illusion that it does, especially if massive time investments have 'rewards'.

Have the advancement to the top take as long as it takes to not exhaust fun from the game. If you want it to take longer, put in more meaningful things to do.

Very well said

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, December 02, 2017, 07:01 (2345 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

A quick thought

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, December 02, 2017, 06:55 (2345 days ago) @ Kahzgul

So I just listened to the podcast...

Regarding Luke’s comments about the current speed of the level climb:

IMO, your interpretation of Luke’s words is the most negative interpretation possible, which is not to say that I necessarily think you’re wrong... it just is a fairly pessimistic interpretation.

As others have pointed out, Luke seemed to be trying to present both sides of an argument. He explicitly said that on the one hand, having a quick, easy level climb was great for a lot of players. Then he went on to make a counter argument.

But there is another assumption built in to your interpretation that you might want to keep in mind. When Luke starts talking about leveling up, and increases in power, he is talking in very broad, high-level terms. I think it’s presumptuous to assume that what he was saying is “Take D2 exactly as it shipped, but make it take longer to level up.” This entire portion of the conversation was framed within the context of “how do we make Destiny 2 appeal to each portion of the player base?” As Luke and Mark both point out, they decided to lean in favour of the “tourists”. But that’s likely not a late-development decision. That’s a design goal that would probably have been in place fairly early on.

So when Luke is musing over the possibility of a longer level climb, there’s no reason to assume that he’s talking about the exact same game. In his head, he could very well be picturing a version of Destiny 2 that was built around a longer level climb, where the post-campaign activities made up a larger portion of the game. A version of D2 that puts less emphasis on the linear campaign, and leans more heavily on the open-world, shared spaces, and repeatable activities.

I’m about to go a bit tinfoil hat here...

Remember this thread where I talked about Patrick Klepeck’s thoughts on D2? Where he was wondering if Bungie doesn’t nail campaigns the way they used to because perhaps their heart isn’t in it anymore? That a linear campaign just isn’t what Destiny is really about, and that itteretive storytelling through strikes and other activities is where Bungie has potential to really break new ground...

Doesn’t all that fit quite well with a theoretical version of the game that puts less emphasis on a quick 1-20 climb for the tourists, and is instead built around long-term investment and group play? It’s almost like Patrick and Luke are talking about a similar vision for Destiny, just from different angles. Could be a total coincidence... or it could be that they’ve actually talked about it together, since they’ve been friends for years ever since they worked together at 1-Up ;)

Yes, Bingle's decisions have been based on critics reactions

by Funkmon @, Saturday, December 02, 2017, 08:08 (2345 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

We see that Bungie has made Destiny 2 in direct response to the initial reviews of Destiny. The criticisms leveled at Bungie have been addressed completely, instead of keeping their initial ideas.

As time went on with Destiny, as people whined about crap, Bungie has done its best to pacify them. Nerf good guns? All guns are bad. Give me high impact auto rifles? There you have them, but they suck. More complicated raids? TTK, or raids as a form of torture. Gear as light level sucks? Exp determines level now, and btw it no longer matters, and so on. Hated random rolls? No random rolls.

This is what they do. I fully expect Destiny 3 to be another TTK, as it was best loved.

Now, this is not inherently bad, but I think they keep compromising their vision to cater to the whims of the whiners on the social medias. You can tell the whiners are just vocal minorities of certain sects of the gaming public because as soon as Bingle implements a change, like Exp determines level, another sect pops up. "Why do we even have 40 on our characters? Only light level matters! Put that next to our name" asking for the very thing Bungle has just eliminated.

They should just shit out a game, and, when they want, say fuck off to the community. Example:

Whine: gear shouldn't make our level

What they did: You're right, levels are now based on experience. Also levels don't matter. Here's a new thing that replaces levels based on gear.

What they should have done: fuck off this is how we want it.

Now there’s some good insight.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, December 02, 2017, 08:16 (2345 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

10 points for... eh... whatever house that silly hat put you in.

A quick thought

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, December 02, 2017, 16:36 (2344 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I don’t have any thoughts current about the level climb as such, but I can definitely see a version of Destiny that is much more weighted towards post-campaign play, and not just in terms of having to grind. I keep going back to how The Taken King introduced the strikes and new missions and such after the “campaign” ended. I really think that’s what I missed a bit from Destiny 2. I suppose the Adventures and Lost Sectors can fill that role, but it really feels to me like Bungie envisioned most players doing those as they went along through the campaign. I expected more stuff besides the weapon quests to open up after the campaign.

In a way, that could potentially make the power climb longer, but I wouldn’t mind that at all if it was because new missions and strikes and adventures kept opening up. They could potentially open up the raid at a lower power level and integrate it into the story, with the Prestige raid or challenge mode or whatever taking the ultimate end game position.

A quick thought

by Kahzgul, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 19:32 (2343 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I mean, sure. I also think you're taking what I'm saying in the worst possible light :P

Honestly, I just latched on to Luke saying "we're talking around the office" about what if the leveling took longer. Obviously he's not going to do that because the genie is already out of the bottle. But he could do that for future xpacs, and it concerns me because it seems like he's misdiagnosing what's wrong with the game.

The rest of my post is just to explain why I think this is a misdiagnosis. I also really tried to be fair to people who like the midgame, though it is probably pretty clear from my restaurant metaphor that I fall squarely on the side of "the endgame is what should be improved."

Anyway, I don't actually think Luke is going to reset us all to power 10, make the leveling take 50 years, and tell us the game is better for it. I just think he's entertaining an idea that's out of touch with the reality that the endgame is not compelling, and that's why people stop playing once they get there.

Tourists, Collectors, Hobbyists, Elitists

by Durandal, Monday, December 04, 2017, 10:04 (2343 days ago) @ Kahzgul

"When I compare this to D1, D1 had an almost endless true endgame because of three main things: First, the gameplay, especially PvP, was full of depth and had a very high skill ceiling which made it really really compelling to me. Second, the loot rolls meant that truly optimizing your gear once you hit the max power level and endgame was virtually impossible (and very frustrating). And third, your power level directly affected your performance in IB and Trials, and had a seemingly larger effect in endgame PvE modes as well."

PVP's depth was more a flavor of the week. There were seldom more then one or two combinations of weapons and classes that seemed ascendant on any given basis. Suros Regime Strikers early on, then it rotated as things were nerfed or buffed.

The grind for gear was a frustrating extension of PVP woes, were lack of vary rare drops on weapons with RNG roles on top consigned players to a lower tier no matter their skill level. I know people who devoted several hours for a perfect roll Grasp of Malloc. Likewise Doctrine of Passing or a LitC high impact hand cannon were highly sought roles. This mechanic really added to the frustration side more then the exploration/discovery side, as most people followed internet posts to determine loadouts as the PVP was too "Sweaty" to experiment or relax.

Power level didn't affect performance unless you were substantially off. Pre-raid gear seldom seemed to impact my performance in IB at all. Several times I went with someone still in blues and they were hampered, but could still get kills. If you could reliably perform the nightfall, you could play on roughly the same level as someone in trials gear/raid gear.

Really, much of the game was driven by elitists. You had to have a rare weapon/emblem/armor set to show off that you had accomplished a difficult task. That's why trials gear was such a big deal. It's perks seldom were a huge benefit but the emblem and gear showed one had repeatedly done something very hard.

This is the same as COD, where prestiging and unlocking all the same guns is a big deal.

Elitists want to show off how much time they have spent in game. Grimoire score, rare weapons, rare emblems, ships etc. They want to go into the tower and be seen immediately as cool because they have this rare loot that no one else has.

D2, because the loot is all fairly accessible, has downplayed that aspect of the game. Now you have people asking for random loot back, because they don't feel that their character has any differentiation from any other. If only they could play long enough to get that rare item that would then become some sort of advantage that would grant status.

The loot grind wheel is really a status wheel. That's why the armor decorations were so big at the end of D1, even if the base armor was the same as stuff people already had.

There must be a way to grant said status without more RNG to cloud the issue. I think the best way is to have difficult content, rather then gating things behind a effort wall. So stuff should be more like the Arms Dealer Strike for the Arcus, or the Black Spindle quest, or Trials, where certain gear requires practice and skill to obtain rather then just rote time invested. One of the largest complaints about the prestige raid gear for D2 is that it looks identical to the normal raid gear (with a shader).

Tourists, Collectors, Hobbyists, Elitists

by Kahzgul, Monday, December 04, 2017, 13:36 (2343 days ago) @ Durandal

"When I compare this to D1, D1 had an almost endless true endgame because of three main things: First, the gameplay, especially PvP, was full of depth and had a very high skill ceiling which made it really really compelling to me. Second, the loot rolls meant that truly optimizing your gear once you hit the max power level and endgame was virtually impossible (and very frustrating). And third, your power level directly affected your performance in IB and Trials, and had a seemingly larger effect in endgame PvE modes as well."

PVP's depth was more a flavor of the week. There were seldom more then one or two combinations of weapons and classes that seemed ascendant on any given basis. Suros Regime Strikers early on, then it rotated as things were nerfed or buffed.

There were weapon-based metas which were flavor of the week (actually flavor of the every 6-months), but PvP's depth - in so far as I'm discussing it - had to do with the strategy of positioning, movement, and radar use and abuse in order to bait enemies, move without exposing yourself to sightlines, and control the map area. An experienced player could approach a wall on one side of the enemy in order to trigger their radar, and then move around the area to an alternate entrance quickly enough and stealthily enough to catch the enemy hardscoping the doorway they had triggered the radar at. They could also strike and then quickly reposition to safety or fall back only to quickly strike again from a different direction. D2's movement is far slower and essentially removes this depth of play.

The grind for gear was a frustrating extension of PVP woes, were lack of vary rare drops on weapons with RNG roles on top consigned players to a lower tier no matter their skill level. I know people who devoted several hours for a perfect roll Grasp of Malloc. Likewise Doctrine of Passing or a LitC high impact hand cannon were highly sought roles. This mechanic really added to the frustration side more then the exploration/discovery side, as most people followed internet posts to determine loadouts as the PVP was too "Sweaty" to experiment or relax.

I agree wholeheartedly with this and am not asking for an additional grind.

Power level didn't affect performance unless you were substantially off. Pre-raid gear seldom seemed to impact my performance in IB at all. Several times I went with someone still in blues and they were hampered, but could still get kills. If you could reliably perform the nightfall, you could play on roughly the same level as someone in trials gear/raid gear.

Sometimes it was enough to require an extra bullet to kill you, or maybe you'd play against a guy substantially lower than you and you could wreck them. Regardless, powerl level had infinitely more effect on gameplay than in D2, where it does literally nothing in pvp.

Really, much of the game was driven by elitists. You had to have a rare weapon/emblem/armor set to show off that you had accomplished a difficult task. That's why trials gear was such a big deal. It's perks seldom were a huge benefit but the emblem and gear showed one had repeatedly done something very hard.

Any game with a persistent collection aspect will be driven by elitists.

This is the same as COD, where prestiging and unlocking all the same guns is a big deal.

And yet in CoD you can unlock the gear you like, deliberately, after prestiging, and need not rely on RNG to provide you with your ideal loadout. Vastly superior to Destiny imo.

Elitists want to show off how much time they have spent in game. Grimoire score, rare weapons, rare emblems, ships etc. They want to go into the tower and be seen immediately as cool because they have this rare loot that no one else has.

I see nothing wrong with this, especially as it regards cosmetics.

D2, because the loot is all fairly accessible, has downplayed that aspect of the game. Now you have people asking for random loot back, because they don't feel that their character has any differentiation from any other. If only they could play long enough to get that rare item that would then become some sort of advantage that would grant status.

Requesting the RNG back is really a poor way to implement a status wheel, and I think Bungie realizes that given their addition of unlockable armor ornaments in coming patches that will be based on individual achievements rather than raw luck.

The loot grind wheel is really a status wheel. That's why the armor decorations were so big at the end of D1, even if the base armor was the same as stuff people already had.

I think we're in agreement that there are many ways to determine status without relying on RNG and time-sinks.

There must be a way to grant said status without more RNG to cloud the issue. I think the best way is to have difficult content, rather then gating things behind a effort wall. So stuff should be more like the Arms Dealer Strike for the Arcus, or the Black Spindle quest, or Trials, where certain gear requires practice and skill to obtain rather then just rote time invested. One of the largest complaints about the prestige raid gear for D2 is that it looks identical to the normal raid gear (with a shader).

I completely agree.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread