Hotfix to make Locked-out content available to all (mostly). (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, December 11, 2017, 15:32 (2358 days ago)

Faction Rally will be delayed until the Hotfix is applied.

News here.

Hotfix to make Locked-out content available to all (mostly).

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, December 11, 2017, 15:40 (2358 days ago) @ Korny

The Prestige Nightfall will remain a pinnacle activity, at the new 330 Power cap.

• This means Prestige Nightfall will require ownership of Curse of Osiris.
  • Because of this, we will update “The Prestige” Achievement/Trophy to only reference The Prestige Raid.
  • Moving forward, we are investigating adding a 3rd difficulty to all Prestige activities, so that we can provide both a challenge that stays relevant with each new Expansion, and a Prestige version that is available to all players.

Well shoot. :/

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, December 11, 2017, 15:42 (2358 days ago) @ Korny

I... feel like Prestige is warrented to non-DLC owners. Only because the DLC was dropped close to the launch of the game itself. Otherwise, I really thing people need to wake up and realize that Destiny as a series is a game that is purposefully and constantly evolving and takes a ton of work by Bungie to create new content to the people who pay for it.

We are not paying a monthly subscription people. If you don't keep buying and thus funding all the new stuff, don't expect to keep getting updated live content. Yes, the raid shipped with the base game, I understand that, which is one of the reasons I think it should be kept reverent. But pretty much everything else is constantly evolving content which you can't expect to keep in the past after 3 months of buying the game.

Okay, I've said my piece, now you may begin chewing me out for being a heartless bastard. Proceed.

P.S. The whole achievement thing is a big no no, Bungie screwed the pooch on that, but that's all :D

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, December 11, 2017, 16:03 (2358 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I pretty much agree with all of this.

I could be convinced that prestige could move up, leaving only the normal and challenge modes behind, but I also see the reverse (Don't take away what you've already given people).

Honestly, I wish MP maps just always went to everyone. I know that means PvP players could effectively never buy DLC, but if they're not getting any new weapons and stuff, then whatever.

I do think keeping Live Events (IB Trials & The Dawning) available to all will help keep the player count up for the inevitable $30 or $40 expansion next fall. So that's good!

I have a feeling we're going to see more segmentation in D2 than we *I* saw in D1. It'll be interesting to see how Bungie deals with that.

by FyreWulff, Monday, December 11, 2017, 17:09 (2358 days ago) @ breitzen

Honestly, I wish MP maps just always went to everyone. I know that means PvP players could effectively never buy DLC, but if they're not getting any new weapons and stuff, then whatever.

They do though, eventually. In D1, every time an expansion came out, all of the previous DLC maps went free to everyone, including vanilla owners. I'm expecting D2 will do the same thing.

The only maps you can't play with the base disc in D1 right now are the Rise of Iron maps.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 06:20 (2357 days ago) @ FyreWulff

They do though, eventually. In D1, every time an expansion came out, all of the previous DLC maps went free to everyone, including vanilla owners. I'm expecting D2 will do the same thing.

The only maps you can't play with the base disc in D1 right now are the Rise of Iron maps.

Sure. Eventually. I’m saying I’d prefer if they were available to everyone as sooon as the DLC drops. We just went from two playlists to four. Five when Trials or IB are on. I really dislike segregation of player base on the PvP side of things.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 06:35 (2357 days ago) @ breitzen

I really dislike segregation of player base on the PvP side of things.

He is a firm believer in segregation everywhere else. :P

Hotfix to make Prometheus Lens useless till January

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, December 11, 2017, 17:03 (2358 days ago) @ Korny

https://twitter.com/Bungie/status/940360855975104513

As ‘Laser Tag’ weekend comes to a close, we’re making good on our promise to address the fact that Prometheus Lens is way too powerful. Sure it’s fun, but it breaks the Crucible for anyone who wants to use a different weapon.

https://twitter.com/Bungie/status/940361008542990337

Given the short window we had to make an emergency fix, it will be adjusted to be way too weak. In January, this new Exotic will receive a proper, play-tested design pass.

Hotfix to make Prometheus Lens useless till January

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, December 11, 2017, 20:14 (2358 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

https://twitter.com/Bungie/status/940361008542990337

Given the short window we had to make an emergency fix, it will be adjusted to be way too weak. In January, this new Exotic will receive a proper, play-tested design pass.

Shoot. I just upgraded mine to 330 :(

-Disciple

Seems about right.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, December 11, 2017, 21:54 (2358 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

- No text -

Seems about right.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 05:58 (2357 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Indeed, they kinda have to do this for the timetable they have. Best to nerf it fast and fix it later than leave it unfixed.

or turn all weapons up to eleventy ;)

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 06:20 (2357 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

The dumbest thing that folks ask for in lieu of nerfs, but..

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 07:26 (2357 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

TTK is something that Respawn has experimented with for Titanfall 2 as a test playlist, and it's something that CoD games have had as an option for ages with their "Hardcore" playlist, which are a ton of fun (almost literally the only Playlist that Sammy and I play).

I'd love to see Bungie do something like this, essentially Mayhem, but for guns. It would certainly help them get a feel for what people really want, even if it goes against their "weapons all feel the same everywhere" philosophy.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 07:49 (2357 days ago) @ Korny

Sometimes I wonder if Bungie has test servers at all. It certainly would explain the massive downtime we have on the production servers every week.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 07:53 (2357 days ago) @ ZackDark

Sometimes I wonder if Bungie has test servers at all. It certainly would explain the massive downtime we have on the production servers every week.

Yes, I'm sure they do. But it boggles my mind how hard it would be to test anything on a test server and have it working even 70% of the time when it's in the wild...

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 08:02 (2357 days ago) @ Korny

my post was in jest. Was thinking back to playing "How's Your Framerate?" on Midship.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 08:37 (2357 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

my post was in jest. Was thinking back to playing "How's Your Framerate?" on Midship.

But I'm serious, though. What better way to get a feel for what the community wants than to actually have a playlist with damages tweaked? Say that one week, Auto Rifles deal 2x damage, or grenades have a 50% Cooldown reduction. Fun over balance, and the most popular choices help them get an idea about future tweaks.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 08:40 (2357 days ago) @ Korny

But I'm serious, though. What better way to get a feel for what the community wants than to actually have a playlist with damages tweaked? Say that one week, Auto Rifles deal 2x damage, or grenades have a 50% Cooldown reduction. Fun over balance, and the most popular choices help them get an idea about future tweaks.

Or include a custom mode from the start. Players will quickly find and converge on fun settings on their own, which you can then use to inform your balancing decision.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 08:57 (2357 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Or include a custom mode from the start. Players will quickly find and converge on fun settings on their own, which you can then use to inform your balancing decision.

yep, griffball and infection started out as custom gametypes

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 09:35 (2357 days ago) @ Korny

It’s easy to do that and keep weapon feel the same. No shields base shields. Your armor stat can get you up to 85 health if you max it.

+1 love the honesty and commitment to the players

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, December 11, 2017, 18:01 (2358 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Over under on time to first major complaint?

by Funkmon @, Monday, December 11, 2017, 20:23 (2358 days ago) @ Korny

3 months.

February: "Bungie, please. Don't take away our raids. Can you bring them forward please so we have a reason to play the Leviathan?"

They're looking at adding another difficulty, but still.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 06:50 (2357 days ago) @ Funkmon

Reddit is already bitching about how the Raid will be useless again because they can’t get max power level gear from it.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 07:04 (2357 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Reddit is already bitching about how the Raid will be useless again because they can’t get max power level gear from it.

They are not wrong lol

They are correct.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 08:05 (2357 days ago) @ unoudid

I hope Bungie learns from this to never listen to Reddit.

^ This

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, December 13, 2017, 06:05 (2356 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

But they are not right

by Durandal, Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 08:11 (2357 days ago) @ unoudid

The goal is to keep the end game activities at the same difficulty, and not obsolete because of an expansion, which is good.

Locking the end game activities to a DLC doesn't make sense unless you consider that you are building a glass ceiling for non-dlc owners. They will still be at 305 when everyone else will be at 325. If you want both groups together for IB, To9, and the old raid, then those need to be at a power level that the non-dlc owners can reach.

For trials, nightfall and IB, you could probably make the rewards drop at high level and thus give non-dlc owners a path to 325 that doesn't use DLC content.

The raid however is tough to balance for groups that contain both. Do you make it 305 and then try to individually scale it per player?

Locking it out may have made sense on paper, but it ultimately was a poorly thought out move politically.

There needs to be a reason to run basic, prestige, and challenge raids for both DLC and non-DLC owners. Usually, specific gear with unique perks and appearance would suffice. But that means leaving it at the old power level.

Not sure how to handle a dual incentive long term. Do you release a new gear set for each raid with each power level increase? Would this open Bungie to a reskin complaint? Would there be unique perk balance issues?

Ultimately, we would want D2 to have raids at the same power level to support raid groups hitting any given raid without having to grind for the latest one. This means we need to go with the unique gear per DLC, even for old raids. That is going to be additional work for the DLC teams.

Alternatively, a unique exotic released for each raid with each DLC might work.

What else could you do?

Ignore the base game for any LL sensitive new activities

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 08:14 (2357 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

Ignore the base game for any LL sensitive new activities

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 08:16 (2357 days ago) @ Funkmon

Locking the end game activities to a DLC doesn't make sense unless you consider that you are building a glass ceiling for non-dlc owners.

Yes. This is the point. What you just said is like saying

Building a fence doesn't make sense unless you consider nobody can get in your yard.

But they are not right

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 08:19 (2357 days ago) @ Durandal

What else could you do?

Semi-joking here... why don't they just own up to it being an MMO and charge a monthly fee?

But they are not right

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 08:22 (2357 days ago) @ unoudid

Honestly, I think they'd lose a ton of players if they did that with the state D2 is in right now. Not that it is godawful, just that it's not worth subbing for.

But they are not right

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 08:38 (2357 days ago) @ ZackDark

Honestly, I think they'd lose a ton of players if they did that with the state D2 is in right now. Not that it is godawful, just that it's not worth subbing for.

Not only that, a subscription encourages padding content in order to spread things out so players will spend a lot of real world time playing.

But they are not right

by Durandal, Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 08:43 (2357 days ago) @ unoudid

I think they would need significantly more content if they wanted a monthly sub. That puts them in direct competition with big MMOs, and for all Destiny's world building they have a small world in comparison.

But they are not right

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, December 13, 2017, 06:08 (2356 days ago) @ unoudid

What else could you do?

Semi-joking here... why don't they just own up to it being an MMO and charge a monthly fee?

So people are complaining that some of the activities that were accessible in the $60 game are unavailable after the DLC drops if you don't buy the DLC, and your suggestion is that they take away the entire game?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread