Who is buying Golem? (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, March 04, 2018, 11:22 (2253 days ago)

Golem comes out next Tuesday! If you are into the whole VR thing and own a PSVR, I think it will be enjoyable for you. Who is getting it? Anyone who is and lives in LA should invite me over.

Me. Come on over.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, March 04, 2018, 14:30 (2253 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Please record a let's play

by Funkmon @, Sunday, March 04, 2018, 18:55 (2253 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Does that work for VR?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, March 05, 2018, 07:31 (2253 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Does that work for VR?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, March 05, 2018, 08:28 (2253 days ago) @ Vortech

Sort of. PSVR still outputs video to the TV screen, or at least the selection of titles I've seen all did. So you could capture that and get the idea of what's happening in game across, although it wouldn't be the "real" VR experience.

But...You Two HATE Each Other!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, March 04, 2018, 22:35 (2253 days ago) @ Kermit

*notices blunt object*

...oh. Well, keep it quiet, I guess.

In terms of the question, I will buy a copy solely out of support. I'm an Xbox person. The price will determine when I'll be buying it.

I look forward to your review in 2026.

by Funkmon @, Monday, March 05, 2018, 00:41 (2253 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

Fake news...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 05, 2018, 07:19 (2253 days ago) @ Morpheus

at least from my perspective. Cody's actually one of my favorite people to raid with online.

Fake news...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, March 05, 2018, 07:46 (2253 days ago) @ Kermit

at least from my perspective. Cody's actually one of my favorite people to raid with online.

From my point of view, Cody is evil!

Fake news...

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, March 05, 2018, 08:01 (2253 days ago) @ bluerunner

From my point of view, Cody is evil!

Don't you mean "point of blue" ?

Nailed it

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 05, 2018, 08:09 (2253 days ago) @ Revenant1988

- No text -

Don't try it bluerunner. I have the high ground.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, March 05, 2018, 09:51 (2253 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Fake news...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 05, 2018, 09:48 (2253 days ago) @ Kermit

Well thank you. You are great to raid with too!

Who is buying Golem?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, March 05, 2018, 08:29 (2253 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Golem comes out next Tuesday! If you are into the whole VR thing and own a PSVR, I think it will be enjoyable for you. Who is getting it? Anyone who is and lives in LA should invite me over.

I will be getting it. I had missed the release date announcement. I'm excited.

How do you buy it?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 05, 2018, 10:58 (2253 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There's nothing on their website or twitter feed that even mentions the release date. :(

Send a SASE with $59.95 to MartyTheElder, Seattle.

by Funkmon @, Monday, March 05, 2018, 11:27 (2252 days ago) @ Kermit

4 weeks processing time.

DELAYED

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, March 05, 2018, 12:43 (2252 days ago) @ Kermit

https://highwiregames.com/2018/03/05/still-chiseling/

We have some good news and some bad news.

The bad news is… we’re going to delay Golem a bit longer. There’s no single reason for the delay, just a few small things that taken together make it the right thing for the game and for Highwire. We want to release a polished VR experience that we are proud of — there’s still some tuning and optimization to be done — and we’re too old for another insane death-crunch.

The good news is… we’re going to delay Golem a bit longer. The game is still coming out soon and we don’t expect the delay to be very long. In the meantime, go listen to Marty’s fantastic prequel album “Echoes of the First Dreamer” or play through Moss again. We’ll let you know when we have a new date.

-Jaime, Jared and Marty

DELAYED

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 05, 2018, 13:14 (2252 days ago) @ CyberKN

https://highwiregames.com/2018/03/05/still-chiseling/

We have some good news and some bad news.

The bad news is… we’re going to delay Golem a bit longer. There’s no single reason for the delay, just a few small things that taken together make it the right thing for the game and for Highwire. We want to release a polished VR experience that we are proud of — there’s still some tuning and optimization to be done — and we’re too old for another insane death-crunch.

The good news is… we’re going to delay Golem a bit longer. The game is still coming out soon and we don’t expect the delay to be very long. In the meantime, go listen to Marty’s fantastic prequel album “Echoes of the First Dreamer” or play through Moss again. We’ll let you know when we have a new date.

-Jaime, Jared and Marty

They better hurry. The VR fad will be over before it comes out!

I don't know if this one will die.

by Funkmon @, Monday, March 05, 2018, 13:37 (2252 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you have ever heard BOLL talk about it it's like he doesn't even play normal games. There are a lot of trends loved by nerds and early appears that never find their way into popular culture, but some things, like Pokemon cards, backgammon, podcasting, stuff like that, has never gone away and everyone likes them.

Maybe this will be one of those.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 05, 2018, 13:41 (2252 days ago) @ Funkmon
edited by Kermit, Monday, March 05, 2018, 13:55

If you have ever heard BOLL talk about it it's like he doesn't even play normal games. There are a lot of trends loved by nerds and early appears that never find their way into popular culture, but some things, like Pokemon cards, backgammon, podcasting, stuff like that, has never gone away and everyone likes them.

It won't go away. There are too many practical uses. Just today I had a conversation with someone regarding how Van Gogh paintings are so much better in real life. Once VR can faithfully recreate 3-D depth perception, virtual experiences will take off, mark my words.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, March 05, 2018, 16:28 (2252 days ago) @ Kermit

It won't go away. There are too many practical uses. Just today I had a conversation with someone regarding how Van Gogh paintings are so much better in real life. Once VR can faithfully recreate 3-D depth perception, virtual experiences will take off, mark my words.

You’re right, but I’m not convinced it’ll be the primary way to play games. Not for a long time. The tech is cool and fun, but it’s not something even the best experiences make me want to do for long periods of time. Add to that that many of the games you can play in VR are half-assed or just downright awful.

I don’t know. VR isn’t exactly thriving. It needs a really big win to get folks actually excited for it. I can’t remember which podcast it was (I think it was Waypoint, but maybe not) talked about how stuff covering VR gets basically no traffic. People just don’t care.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, March 06, 2018, 08:09 (2252 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You’re right, but I’m not convinced it’ll be the primary way to play games. Not for a long time. The tech is cool and fun, but it’s not something even the best experiences make me want to do for long periods of time. Add to that that many of the games you can play in VR are half-assed or just downright awful.

I don’t know. VR isn’t exactly thriving. It needs a really big win to get folks actually excited for it. I can’t remember which podcast it was (I think it was Waypoint, but maybe not) talked about how stuff covering VR gets basically no traffic. People just don’t care.

I honestly thought racing games were going to be amazing in VR for me... unfortunately racing games are one of the only things in VR that make me sick. Flying space ships is fine, but as soon as I fishtail even a touch... it's a big nope for me & I gotta get off that thing.

Maybe I just need to ease myself into it more...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 05, 2018, 18:57 (2252 days ago) @ Kermit

Uh, can't it already? There's a reason why it has a screen for each eye… depth perception should be mathematically perfect.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 06, 2018, 12:59 (2251 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Uh, can't it already? There's a reason why it has a screen for each eye… depth perception should be mathematically perfect.

Fair point, and that got me thinking of what depth perception in VR lacks, which is the ability for you to naturally change the focal point. This reminded me of Lytro cameras and light field photography. I'd like to be able to see this. I can imagine technology that could change the focal point on the fly based on changes detected in your eyes, but that will probably be further down the road.

In the shorter term resolution and detail will certainly be ratcheted up, and VR experiences' popularity will increase as this happens.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, March 06, 2018, 13:58 (2251 days ago) @ Kermit

Fair point, and that got me thinking of what depth perception in VR lacks, which is the ability for you to naturally change the focal point. This reminded me of Lytro cameras and light field photography. I'd like to be able to see this. I can imagine technology that could change the focal point on the fly based on changes detected in your eyes, but that will probably be further down the road.

In the shorter term resolution and detail will certainly be ratcheted up, and VR experiences' popularity will increase as this happens.

The focal point issue is the main reason why 3D movies haven't taken off. However, games have a much better chance of using this technology because focal points can only be done for a single person, not 100 people in a theater.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, March 06, 2018, 14:08 (2251 days ago) @ Kermit

Eventually that could help with performance too. If the game can know where your focus is and render high quality assets there with lower quality at the fringes . . . supposing they can switch between those assets quickly enough, which I guess might be a challenge given how quickly eyes can move around and switch focus.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, March 06, 2018, 19:14 (2251 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, March 06, 2018, 19:19

Fair point, and that got me thinking of what depth perception in VR lacks, which is the ability for you to naturally change the focal point.

If you were to change your focal point while wearing a VR headset, everything would go out of focus. Your eyes MUST focus on the screen. All light is coming from something basically the same distance from your eye.

I think you are talking about where your eyes converge, which is where you choose to have the eyes' two images overlap.

In real life, you almost always focus and converge on the thing you are looking at. With stereoscopic 3D, you focus on the screen, and converge your eyes on whatever virtual plane the object you wish to look at is. Unless the game renders depth of field, or has extreme depth requiring your eyes to point outward (toward the ears), then you should be able to converge on any object you wish without trouble.

It is actually kind of amazing that we can focus and converge on separate things at all, given this ability is unnatural. The requirement to do so is inherent to stereoscopic 3D and cannot be worked around, as long as the light is coming into your eye from a fixed distance (a movie screen, or the LCDs in your headset). It is something you get better at after a while. If you can do Magic Eye, you are golden.

How do you buy it?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 05, 2018, 14:08 (2252 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm still perplexed that it's not even listed on PSN or at Amazon.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread