Noclip on the transformation of the FPS genre (Gaming)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, March 20, 2018, 07:59 (2237 days ago)

Found this very on-point.

TL;DR

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, March 20, 2018, 09:57 (2237 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

CoD is garbage and also probably the work of Satan.

TL;DR

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, March 20, 2018, 10:48 (2237 days ago) @ stabbim

As always, it's very important to make a distinction between the three different studios putting out Call of Duty games. Infinity Ward? Garbage. Sledgehammer? Slightly less garbage. Treyarch? Actually great games that try to evolve or refine the media while drowning players in content and variety (especially weapons).

TL;DR

by Durandal, Tuesday, March 20, 2018, 11:35 (2237 days ago) @ Korny

As always, it's very important to make a distinction between the three different studios putting out Call of Duty games. Infinity Ward? Garbage. Sledgehammer? Slightly less garbage. Treyarch? Actually great games that try to evolve or refine the media while drowning players in content and variety (especially weapons).

Treyarch was just as bad, just in different ways. Ever since MW COD has moved towards esports style in your face showmanship over the strategic positioning and accuracy of the Halo series.

Although Halo 4 and 5 have moved away from Halo too, so the industry as a whole has shifted over the years.

Really in my mind you had the Doom/Quake era of health pickups, weapon pickups and 2D movement, the Halo/Counterstrike era of specific weapon balance and strategic movement, and now the faster paced, vertical movement games with individual player loadouts.

Halo and Titanfall are the only real ones to break out vehicles and integrate them into the core gameplay, and I miss that in Destiny. A solid vehicle system would go a long way in the PVP environment and further differentiate Destiny from it's competition (The Division, Warframe).

BF and COD are their own entities and offer something completly different from Destiny.

That being said I would love BF's destructable environments and levelutions added to Destiny.

TL;DR

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, March 20, 2018, 12:17 (2237 days ago) @ Korny

Well, I was mostly just being hyperbolic for humor obviously, but my only hands on experience with CoD was CoD4: Modern Warfare, which was... uh...

*checks Wikipedia*

Infinity Ward, I guess. So, according to your categories, I may have been right, at least within the scope of my own experience. Maybe some of the others are better, but after the experience I had with Modern Warfare (it was, and I promise I am not being hyperbolic here, literally the least I have ever enjoyed a video game), the chances of me willingly trying another one are pretty much zero.

Found it interesting from a gamedev perspective. Thanks!

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, March 20, 2018, 10:34 (2237 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

- No text -

Noclip on the transformation of the FPS genre

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 23:22 (2236 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 23:30

I'm going to talk about why FPS games used to be good by describing what was great about their single player campaigns. Then I'm going to talk about how CoD changed all that by referencing multiplayer design decisions that have fuck all to do with everything I talked about earlier. Then I'm going to talk about 2 games that aren't even FPS games! One's an MMO with FPS elements, and the other is and MMO with Third Person elements. Then I talk about how great PUBG is, even though it sure looks like a third person shooter to me. And I'm not even going to mention Wolfenstein: The New Order for some strange reason even though it does everything I claim to want in FPS games.

This video is really coherent.

I chuckled; can’t disagree.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, March 22, 2018, 09:37 (2235 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

I chuckled; can’t disagree.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, March 22, 2018, 09:57 (2235 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I think the though was:

1. Shooters were interesting because they centered around campaigns (MP came secondary) and controlled encounters
2. MP and progression began to shift the focus and the campaigns/encounters suffered because of it
3. Shared Open World games with a focus on progression have made campaigns/encounters dull

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread