Weekly Deals... XB1|PS4 (The Division and... Fury Road?) (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, March 29, 2018, 08:41 (2228 days ago)
edited by Korny, Thursday, March 29, 2018, 09:04

Xbone

For those waiting for a Division sale on Xbone, it's on sale for $15 if you get the base game, or $27 for the Gold Edition, which comes with the Season pass and a handful of other non-cosmetic things, as part of the Xbox Live Spring Sale. If you're not certain about the game, remember that it does have a six-hour free trial period for you to check it out!

Meanwhile Titanfall 2 Ultimate Edition remains $6, and remains the best gaming deal to ever grace the Xbone.

While it's been overhyped to the point of being overrated, Life Is Strange is a very solid Telltale-style game that's not made by telltale, and you can pick up the entire first season for $5. Definitely a game that you'll want to play with a crowd.

If you're looking for a fantastic co-op game, Resident Evil 5 is one of the best (which is funny, because the game is pretty terrible otherwise), and you can get the complete edition for $8. This includes two bonus levels (the intense Lost in Nightmares, and the wild Desperate Escape mode), All of the Mercenaries Survival Mode characters, and more! It also has matchmaking, and I still find players pretty regularly, so you'll likely always have someone to play with.
The only co-op zombie game better than this is the four-player Dying Light: The Following Edition, which is coincidentally also on sale for $21!

If you want a cheap co-op game, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris is only $3, and what we played of it was fun!

While I haven't really played it myself, and it's early access (caveat emptor!), Malagate has been saying some great things about Astroneer, which is a 2-4 player co-op game in the vein of No Man's Sky/Minecraft, with a pinch of Nuts & Bolts, and a hint of Deep Rock Galactic. I dunno about you, but that sounds like a winning combo to me, and it's on sale for $15.

Also, here are the free XBL games for next month:

The Witness - April 1-30
If you're a nerd who likes puzzles, folks around here have great things to say about it!

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate - April 16 to May 15
Yet-another-AC-game: The Game

Disney/Pixar's Cars 2 - April 1-15
Would be literally indistinguishable from Forza, if it weren't for the Mario Kart-style powerups and combat. Appeals to the same age bracket anyway.

Dead Space 2 - April 16-30
The peak of the Dead Space franchise (yes, somehow even better than the first), and as close as you can get to a flawless horror survival game. Play it on Zealot difficulty for best results (I like that the higher difficulties have some more in-depth rebalancing besides just "everything is harder".

PS4

The Weekly deals over on PSN are kind of weak this week, and there's not a lot that I can personally recommend.

Assassin's Creed Origins has gotten decent reviews, and some folks can't stop spamming the Activity Feeds with their screenshots, so the game clearly looks great. Haven't played an AC game in ages, but this one allegedly overhauls the combat, and gets fun, In spite of/especially with the obligatory Ubisoft bugs.
You can get the game for $30, although the latest DLC has been getting a lot of positive press, so you might want to throw the season pass in there and get it all for $50.

If you want a couch-co-op game that will have you in tears of laughter, grab three friends and hop into Gang Beasts for $15. Whether you're doing versus or co-op, this game makes for a simple, fun time.

Hellblade is on sale for $21, and it's a fantastic bit of storytelling. I've spoken at-length about this game a few times, but it's truly an experience that you need to go into without a whole lot of info, and while it's best experienced with 3D audio, having someone at your side as you play will make for some great discussion.

If you didn't pick them up when they were free with PS+, you can get both Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain in a single blow with Metal Gear Solid V: The Definitive Experience for $15. I've often said that TPP is the best Hitman game that I've ever played, and that remains true to this day. Kojima's Konami swan song, it holds up as a great game with a lot of moving parts tying it all into a somehow-cohesive experience. From the stealth missions to the base-building, it all ties together as a great game experience. Can't wait to see what Death Stranding brings!

And while I haven't played it myself, if you're a grown man who couldn't get enough about the lives of these teenage girls, The Life is Strange prequel, Before The Storm, is on sale for $10.19. I'm not on any watch list, so I haven't played it myself, but folks around here seem to have enjoyed it, the sickos.

Your free PS+ games for next month are:

Mad Max-
An underrated open-world game. It grim, violent, and incredibly fun. A pseudo-prequel to Fury Road, the game tells the story of how Max teams up with a resident of the wastes in order to build a car... And that's the whole premise, but things just aren't quite that simple sometimes, huh? It's a great experience with some solid writing, and familiar combat. Just be aware that it has kind of a weak start, as you're initially driving a wonky dune buggy throughout the tutorial, which has terrible handling that's nothing like the countless other cars in the game...

------------------------------------------------------
Oh, and this is unrelated to gaming, but since we're talking about Mad Max, you can get the Fury Road BluRay with an $8 coupon towards a ticket for Ready Player One for only $7.99 at Best Buy!
------------------------------------------------------

TrackMania Turbo-
While I never played this, I've heard good things, and it sounds like it has a ton of features (custom tracks, co-op and couch vs modes, and over 200 tracks). Sounds fun... for a racing game.

The other games I've never heard of (besides Q*Bert, but seriously), so... here you go:

In Space we Brawl, PS3
Toy Home, PS3
99 Vidas, PS Vita
Q*Bert Rebooted, PS Vita (Cross Buy with PS3 and PS4)

And don't forget to pick up your five free PS4 games from this past month, including Bloodborne and Ratchet & Clank!

Anyway, those are your highlighted deals for the week! There's plenty more at either deals page, so check it out for something I might have skipped!

Other deals

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 29, 2018, 09:04 (2228 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, March 29, 2018, 09:54

Thimbleweed Park is 50% off. It's worth your time as an adventure game fan. The recent version fixes a lot of the frustrations of the original.

Another World is only 2 bucks. Very innovative puzzle platformer. If you liked Limbo or Inside, experience the grown up version of the genre.

Toonstruck is 60% off. High budget adventure game that flopped, but not for it being bad. Actually, it's one of the best.

Curse of Monkey Island Just released for OS X if you don't want to use SCUMMVM.

Bioshock Infinite is 75% off on Steam. Interesting but very flawed game.

Mankind Divided is only 6 bucks. I'm tempted, but can't because of the pay to win shit.

Another world is A+

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, March 30, 2018, 15:11 (2227 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

I’d even declare that it’s Out Of This World...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 30, 2018, 15:23 (2227 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

Weekly Deals... XB1|PS4 (The Division and... Fury Road?)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 29, 2018, 09:12 (2228 days ago) @ Korny

For those waiting for a Division sale on Xbone, it's on sale for $15 if you get the base game, or $27 for the Gold Edition, which comes with the Season pass and a handful of other non-cosmetic things, as part of the Xbox Live Spring Sale. If you're not certain about the game, remember that it does have a six-hour free trial period for you to check it out!

Sigh . . . I said I was going to buy this, but I'm not sure. I played about five hours of the trial, and while I enjoyed it, I didn't find it super compelling. And with God of War coming next month, and Dark Souls Remastered the month after, and wanting to squeeze trying Warframe in there somewhere . . . if five hours wasn't enough to really grab me, maybe I should just hold off.

While I haven't really played it myself, and it's early access (caveat emptor!), Malagate has been saying some great things about Astroneer, which is a 2-player co-op game in the vein of No Man's Sky/Minecraft, with a pinch of Nuts & Bolts, and a hint of Deep Rock Galactic. I dunno about you, but that sounds like a winning combo to me, and it's on sale for $15.

Speaking of which, No Man's Sky is getting another big update, called NEXT, in Summer 2018, and will also be launching on Xbox One at the same time, with 4K and HDR support on the One X.

I haven't actually checked out the game since any of the updates hit, but I played about 20 hours or so at launch and enjoyed it for what it was. The updates sounded like they turned it into a pretty compelling game. No mention of what the price will be on Xbox One.

Also, here are the free XBL games for next month:

The Witness - April 1-30
If you're a nerd who likes puzzles, folks around here have great things to say about it!

I really liked The Witness. I can't speak too much on the underlying themes of the game and all the videos and intellectual stuff sprinkled throughout the game, but the puzzles are great.

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate - April 16 to May 15
Yet-another-AC-game: The Game

I heard it was good. I dunno, I might give it a shot, but I think it'll be hard to go back after playing Origins.

The peak of the Dead Space franchise (yes, somehow even better than the first), and as close as you can get to a flawless horror survival game. Play it on Zealot difficulty for best results (I like that the higher difficulties have some more in-depth rebalancing besides just "everything is harder".

I never did get into Dead Space. I have EA Access, which has the whole series available, should I make an effort to go through them?

Assassin's Creed Origins has gotten decent reviews, and some folks can't stop spamming the Activity Feeds with their screenshots, so the game clearly looks great. Haven't played an AC game in ages, but this one allegedly overhauls the combat, and gets fun, In spite of/especially with the obligatory Ubisoft bugs.
You can get the game for $30, although the latest DLC has been getting a lot of positive press, so you might want to throw the season pass in there and get it all for $50.

I was done with Assassin's Creed about halfway through Brotherhood, which was . . . six games ago? Seven? Something like that. Origins really nailed it for me, though. It's almost a nearly perfect blend of still being Assassin's Creed, but also changing enough to feel fresh. The combat is a particularly welcome change, for me, which is very Dark Souls-lite. I don't like the loot system much, but it was easy enough to find a few weapons I liked and then upgrade them as I went, so I didn't have to engage with it much. I just don't think it added anything compelling to the game.

The stories and missions are where it really shines, though. It has plenty of typical Assassin's Creed silliness, but a lot of the side missions and stories are really personal and heartfelt and well-told. Bayek, the main character, feels genuine and actually cares about the people in a real way beyond "we're Assassins so that others can be free," which also helped me connect to the story and world in a way I haven't in any other Assassin's Creed game.

Combined with a big, really gorgeous world to explore, and it's a winning formula in my mind. It's the first time since Assassin's Creed II that I find myself actually looking forward to a sequel in the series.

If you want a couch-co-op game that will have you in tears of laughter, grab three friends and hop into Gang Beasts for $15. Whether you're doing versus or co-op, this game makes for a simple, fun time.

It is a great couch game. As you said last night, it seems like it would get old quick, but it really doesn't.

Thanks for doing these posts, Korny. I'm bad at even remembering to look at weekly deals.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, March 29, 2018, 09:32 (2228 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Sigh . . . I said I was going to buy this, but I'm not sure. I played about five hours of the trial, and while I enjoyed it, I didn't find it super compelling. And with God of War coming next month, and Dark Souls Remastered the month after, and wanting to squeeze trying Warframe in there somewhere . . . if five hours wasn't enough to really grab me, maybe I should just hold off.

I don't know if I'd like it as much solo. I bought it with the intent of playing it co-op and I've stuck to that. Played that way it's a lot of fun.

Speaking of which, No Man's Sky is getting another big update, called NEXT, in Summer 2018, and will also be launching on Xbox One at the same time, with 4K and HDR support on the One X.

I haven't actually checked out the game since any of the updates hit, but I played about 20 hours or so at launch and enjoyed it for what it was. The updates sounded like they turned it into a pretty compelling game. No mention of what the price will be on Xbox One.

I did not know about this. I also wonder about the price on the Xbox. I also wonder if this update will be free on other platforms. Love things about the game, but love it the way I love looking at the water and sky in Sea of Thieves. (I don't think I'm buying the latter.)

I never did get into Dead Space. I have EA Access, which has the whole series available, should I make an effort to go through them?

Too scary for me.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, March 29, 2018, 09:47 (2228 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Absolutely. I'm hoping for a Remaster of any of them, ideally all, but they hold up very well regardless. If you get through the first two, I'll gladly hop on to do the third one Co-op again (Sammy and I really enjoyed it as a co-op game, even if it was the low point of the series).

I was done with Assassin's Creed about halfway through Brotherhood, which was . . . six games ago? Seven? Something like that. Origins really nailed it for me, though. It's almost a nearly perfect blend of still being Assassin's Creed, but also changing enough to feel fresh. The combat is a particularly welcome change, for me, which is very Dark Souls-lite. I don't like the loot system much, but it was easy enough to find a few weapons I liked and then upgrade them as I went, so I didn't have to engage with it much. I just don't think it added anything compelling to the game.

The stories and missions are where it really shines, though. It has plenty of typical Assassin's Creed silliness, but a lot of the side missions and stories are really personal and heartfelt and well-told. Bayek, the main character, feels genuine and actually cares about the people in a real way beyond "we're Assassins so that others can be free," which also helped me connect to the story and world in a way I haven't in any other Assassin's Creed game.

Combined with a big, really gorgeous world to explore, and it's a winning formula in my mind. It's the first time since Assassin's Creed II that I find myself actually looking forward to a sequel in the series.

Neat. I was done halfway through Revelations, and while I've tried IV because of pirate ship hype, it just wasn't fun. Might give this a shot one day. AC games historically plummet in price after the first few months.

Thanks for doing these posts, Korny. I'm bad at even remembering to look at weekly deals.

Yay! Just remember to download Bloodborne!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 29, 2018, 11:06 (2228 days ago) @ Korny

Neat. I was done halfway through Revelations, and while I've tried IV because of pirate ship hype, it just wasn't fun. Might give this a shot one day. AC games historically plummet in price after the first few months.

Revelations is the one I meant, too. I liked Brotherhood quite a bit. Black Flag was cool because of the pirate stuff, I thought, but the rest of the game, the stuff that was still just Assassin's Creed, wasn't that fun. I don't think I ever finished the game.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, March 29, 2018, 11:37 (2228 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I found Syndicate had much more to enjoy from a settings and Characters perspective compared to basically everything since the Ezio trilogy. Still definitely in the vein of old AC games at its core, and I might just be a sucker for Ms. Frye but I had a vey enjoyable time romping around Victorian London.

Food metaphors incoming.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, March 29, 2018, 10:56 (2228 days ago) @ cheapLEY

If Dead Space were a carbonated becerage brand, Dead Space would be the premiere Cola in the action/survival/horror genre. Definitely worth playing. Especially if you can indilge in the atmosphere. DS2 is Cherry Dead Space. It rounds a lot of the edges off while adding some broad appeal flavor that not everyone likes. DS3 is Diet Dead Space. For people who forgot what enjoyment is, but they want to share in that memory with others.

The rest of the brand (games and other media) do a reasonable job of rounding out a pretty solid and interesting IP that died due to EA chasing a wider market base and erroding the things that made Dead Space good in the first place. As an aside, I think it is a series deserving of a soft or hard reboot. A passionate team could do a lot.

(However @Korny for saying DS2 was the height, how can you say something so confidently that is still so wrong?) <3

great post! thanks for the heads up

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, March 29, 2018, 09:25 (2228 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, March 29, 2018, 10:12 (2228 days ago) @ Korny

Physical:

For those of you who enjoyed Mass Effect: Andromeda, BioWare seems to be liquidating their collectible inventory. That means you can get this light up, die cast Nomad ND1 for a reasonable $25 vs the ridiculous $100 they wanted it for it. (Game not included)

Holy cow!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, March 29, 2018, 10:36 (2228 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Physical:

For those of you who enjoyed Mass Effect: Andromeda, BioWare seems to be liquidating their collectible inventory. That means you can get this light up, die cast Nomad ND1 for a reasonable $25 vs the ridiculous $100 they wanted it for it. (Game not included)

Tons of things are on sale for super-low prices, but the Mass Effect stuff in particular has always looked great, really cool stuff for cheep!

Thanks!

Holy cow!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 29, 2018, 11:22 (2228 days ago) @ Korny

They went a little nuts with the tchotchkes, huh?

There's some neat stuff in there. I'm gonna pick up the art of Andromeda book for $10--I'm a sucker for art books.

That Mordin statue looks amazing, but it's still $200!

I wish that Nomad model was a model of the Normandy or even the Tempest instead. I'd be all over that.

Holy cow!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, March 29, 2018, 16:07 (2228 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The Art of Andromeda book is really good. I bought that along with the game a year ago.

Holy cow!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 29, 2018, 16:21 (2228 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I have no doubt! Whatever Andromeda's problem, art design definitely wasn't one of them.

As I said, I love art books, but they're so expensive, I have to be pretty choosy about which ones I actually buy. Ten dollarydoos is a steal, though.

Holy cow!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 29, 2018, 20:43 (2228 days ago) @ Ragashingo

The Art of Andromeda book is really good. I bought that along with the game a year ago.

Did this thread get you thinking about the game again? I saw you playing a bit ago.

I finished ME3 today and started Andromeda. I played it once at launch. I liked it well enough, even though I also think it is somewhat disappointing. I'm looking forward to continuing to go through it again. It's a real shame, the game has a really interesting setup. I really, really wish they didn't feel the need to shove in a new galaxy threatening big bad guy (especially one that echoes the Reapers with their weird assimilation stuff so closely).

I hope we get a new Mass Effect sooner rather than later. It doesn't seem like they'll follow up Andromeda now, which is a shame with all the dangling threads they left. But I hope we get something.

Holy cow!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, March 30, 2018, 16:33 (2227 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Nah, I’ve been replaying it in little bursts long before this.

Holy cow!

by cheapLEY @, Friday, March 30, 2018, 19:11 (2227 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I just activated the Remnant spire on Eos, so still not far into the game, but I find myself liking it more than I did the first time. Maybe it’s just because I know where it’s going and what to expect now. My previous play through was pretty rushed. I only did a few of the character arcs, and I only really hit minimum viability on all the planets. I’m looking forward to really digging in.

ME: Andromeda

by cheapLEY @, Monday, April 02, 2018, 19:53 (2224 days ago) @ Ragashingo

A few things:

1. I missed a ton of stuff on my first play through, which was admittedly rushed. I was just doing a mission on Eos to tap water, and I encountered a Remnant Architect, something I didn't see at all my first time through the game. There's definitely too much busy work (go find all this missing drones, go find all these research sites, go find all these Kett spy beacons, etc, but there are also a lot of really intriguing and neat missions that I just never did). I don't think I ever really fully explored most of the maps.

2. Apparently Tali was reincarnated as a Turian:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/cheapLEY/video/47125958

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, April 02, 2018, 20:34 (2224 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah, the Architects are awesome fights. I totally did not expect them at all!

As for the busy work. Yeah, it is... but, I thought it fit with the role of starting these colonies and with the role of being the Pathfinder / troubleshooter. While there are a lot of fetch missions, some missions do turn out to be more interesting and involved.

And finally, definitely do all the squad loyalty missions. They are some of the best in the game and have that great ME2 / ME3 feel.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, April 02, 2018, 22:16 (2224 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Yeah, the Architects are awesome fights. I totally did not expect them at all!

I didn't expect it either. It's a pretty easy fight, but it was still pretty neat. Definitely a cool follow up to the Trasher Maw from the OT.

As for the busy work. Yeah, it is... but, I thought it fit with the role of starting these colonies and with the role of being the Pathfinder / troubleshooter. While there are a lot of fetch missions, some missions do turn out to be more interesting and involved.

It does fit, it's just sort of . . . exhausting. I guess my biggest gripe is there's no easy way to tell which are going to pay. Like that one is starts as literally, hey, go place these things to tap underground water, and that ends in the Architect fight. One was finding research sites from a scientists from the first colony, and it's just some data pads that talk about how she thinks the Remnant tech can be used to help the planet. Like, yeah, I know, I already activated that shit like ten hours ago. I mean, it's still a neat little story.

I guess maybe if I was smart enough to pick up a bunch of the fetch missions at the same time rather than spending 30 minutes driving around the map to different waypoints, only to get back to the settlement to pick up another missions to have to spend another 30 minutes driving around the map to waypoints . . . I'm on my 3rd go around now!

And finally, definitely do all the squad loyalty missions. They are some of the best in the game and have that great ME2 / ME3 feel.

I did Cora's and Vera's and Drack's last time. I just never progressed the rest of them by the time I did the final mission, and after that happened I was pretty much just done playing the game. I'll definitely do them all this time.

I do like the way they progress in this game. They're all multi-stage quests that progress as you go through the game, rather than the single quest ordeals of the previous games. It really does make it feel like you're building a relationship with your crew a bit more.

Andromeda really does do a lot of things right, the more I get into it. It's a lot of really cool ideas and little stories. I think the biggest issue is that's exactly what it feels like . . . a bunch of cool ideas that didn't quite come together to form a complete game. ME2 and ME3 feel like really tight packages in comparison. Andromeda feels like it's like 90% there, and it's just missing something to bring everything together in the same way.

I'm having a blast playing it, though.

Three months of Gold for $10...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, April 02, 2018, 14:35 (2224 days ago) @ Korny

Right now, if you don't have Gold, you can get three months of Gold for $10 straight from Microsoft's store. If you already have it, you can probably gift it to yourself through a separate account (you just type in an email).

Theoretically speaking, there is no limit to how many times you can gift it to yourself, so you can possibly use this deal to snag a year of Gold for $40!

Says $24.99 for me. :(

by Claude Errera @, Monday, April 02, 2018, 14:48 (2224 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Right, because you have Gold. Use an alt account.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, April 02, 2018, 14:56 (2224 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

I wasn't signed in. :(

by Claude Errera @, Monday, April 02, 2018, 15:09 (2224 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

I wasn't signed in. :(

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, April 02, 2018, 16:32 (2224 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Korny, Monday, April 02, 2018, 16:35

Weird. I'm still seeing this when I'm not logged in:

[image]

But when I try to gift it, it shows up as $25. Guess it only applies to lapsed accounts, and you can't gift it after all. My mistake, Sorry!

"Gift price: $24.99 plus applicable taxes"

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, April 02, 2018, 15:59 (2224 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Not as good, but a year of Gold for $47.50 isn't bad...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, April 09, 2018, 13:22 (2217 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Korny, Monday, April 09, 2018, 13:40

Especially being this far from Black Friday deals... From CDKeys.

Use code PERKSPOT5 to get that extra $1.50 off.

Warning...

by Claude Errera @, Monday, April 09, 2018, 14:23 (2217 days ago) @ Korny

Especially being this far from Black Friday deals... From CDKeys.

Use code PERKSPOT5 to get that extra $1.50 off.

I bought from them last year, and the year before. Both times, my credit card company flagged the purchase as dodgy, and didn't let it go through. (Last year, they actually locked my account after I tried, I had to call to unlock it again.)

Both times the purchase went through eventually, and I was not robbed of either money or identity... but it was a hassle both times.

Just a heads-up.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread