Very excited, slightly underwhelmed, yet really happy!

by Avateur @, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 17:58 (4084 days ago)
edited by Avateur, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 18:10

I'm quite pleased with everything I've seen and heard up to this point. Bungie is being very ambitious and it looks like this world (system? universe?) is going to be massive. I'm having a really hard time containing my excitement over the concept, and while I'm fully aware that this Destiny "reveal" is basically the reveal of said concept, I guess I was expecting more of the actual game in its present state. Regardless, the game is as good as sold to me just based on this concept and Bungie's track record alone! I just would like to see more of the game itself and less of the game's concept art. I really can't wait for more things to be revealed.

That said, I've never really been interested in MMOs. Ever. I'm going to absolutely give this a shot. This is Bungie. They've never let me down. If someone could finally provide me with an MMO that I'd be interested in, I bet it'd be them.

The thing is, the reveal itself was somewhat underwhelming. All of the ARG stuff, requiring thousands of people and coordination and everything seemed to be building to something truly epic. My own expectations could be the culprit here, of course. Granted, I didn't really know what to expect, but I'd be lying if I said that I was expecting a minimal amount of gameplay and a large amount of concept art.

I don't want to come off as whining. Thank goodness they actually showed something from the actual game! I guess what I'm trying to say is that there was this awesome build up leading to today, an awesome ViDoc, and then what did we really learn that we didn't already know? Unfortunately, the leaks stole a lot of Bungie's thunder and content. That's not Bungie's fault. I guess I was expecting Bungie to just blow all of that out of the water with some spectacular gameplay reveal trailer. :P

I'm also not thrilled about the prospect of having to always be online while playing on a console. While this doesn't affect me, I do have friends (irl and from Xbox Live) whose internet connections are, to say the least, unreliable. That bugs me, but it's not a deal breaker, just a concern.

I guess the only negative thing I have to say at this point, aside from the always on thing (and nothing can be done about that, so oh well) is that I want more information. Less concept art. Something of the actual game. The ViDoc showed some gameplay and I really liked what I saw! We didn't even get a release date, either. I assume it's coming out this year, but maybe not. I'm disappointed that they didn't give a window, but I'm also very happy with the thought that if this game isn't ready, they might not ship it until it actually is. Thank goodness.

So, long story short, I'm still absolutely excited for this game. The reveal might not have lived up to my already really hyped up expectations, but it definitely hit the right spot. I can't wait for this game. Am I going to pre-order right now? Nope. Maybe I'll want a better pre-order version later. I'll watch and wait.

All in all, I just really want to thank Bungie for all of the events leading up to today, and for the reveal today as well. I'm looking forward to following Bungie into this new game universe!

by petetheduck, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 18:06 (4084 days ago) @ Avateur

I agree with everything you said. I'd also like to say that I'm hoping Destiny will interest some of my friends that left Halo after ODST. Getting the ol' gang back together would be great, and this concept sounds like it just might be the game that does it.

I probably shouldn't worry, but I'd also like to know that Destiny has some Forge-like feature. It's great to explore, and boy do I want to explore, but I also want to create.

Forge in Destiny?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 19:20 (4084 days ago) @ petetheduck
edited by Xenos, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 19:30

I probably shouldn't worry, but I'd also like to know that Destiny has some Forge-like feature. It's great to explore, and boy do I want to explore, but I also want to create.

Yeah I've been trying to figure out how they can do something like Forge in Destiny, but with what they've revealed so far it seems unlikely unfortunately, but here's hoping Bungie proves me wrong!

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 19:34 (4084 days ago) @ Xenos

Well they said they would have a competitive multiplayer aspect. They said every player plays as a Guardian from The Last City.

It would stand to reason that they wouldn't fight each other to the death - there's too few of them. So I imagine that the games are cast as friendlies/training. An amicable future-war-games to establish hierarchy amongst the various human clans.

And competitive multiplayer needs maps. And Bungie loves player customisation. And they've specifically said there are things to 'make.'

So I guess what I'm saying is: I'm hopeful.

Grognok for the masses

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 19:36 (4084 days ago) @ RC

What;d be especially cool is if they could simplify Grognok so that we could make more than just modular levels like Halo. I love Forge, but I often got frustrated with the limitations.

Forge in Destiny?

by VAVA Mk2, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 19:39 (4084 days ago) @ Xenos

I really am not sure how that could be possible considering this being a large, pervasive, always on MMO world. Is there even a competitive mulitplayer mode in this, btw? Could be quite a change to have a Bungie FPS that has NO competitive multiplayer. Kinda hurts my head to think that is the case.

Competitive modes have been confirmed

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 19:40 (4084 days ago) @ VAVA Mk2

I posted about it earlier today :)

http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=1193

by tarehart, Seattle, Monday, February 18, 2013, 09:23 (4083 days ago) @ petetheduck

Maybe both? What I'd like to see is a public forge zone parceled up by large chasms. It would be cool if you could win the privilege of sculpting an area somehow. It would be mega cool if you could travel from one space to another without a loading screen and just stream in the forge blocks when you get close.

This is baseless, but if I were Bungie and I were trying to do something ambitious that played to the strengths of my studio, my game engine, and my thriving community, that's something I would attempt.

by Wilshire2, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 18:21 (4084 days ago) @ Avateur

I agree with this. Based on the week long buildup we had that required a coordinated effort of the fanbase, I was hoping to get a bit more than we did today. I am still excited and have full faith in Bungie, but I guess we will have to wait a bit longer to get more details. I suppose it is mostly impatience on my part, but I can't wait to find out more about this new world!

by VAVA Mk2, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 19:43 (4084 days ago) @ Wilshire2

I agree with this. Based on the week long buildup we had that required a coordinated effort of the fanbase, I was hoping to get a bit more than we did today. I am still excited and have full faith in Bungie, but I guess we will have to wait a bit longer to get more details. I suppose it is mostly impatience on my part, but I can't wait to find out more about this new world!

Well this really did not show much except a brief few seconds of actual in game FPS view for us. Other than that, us hardcore fans have already seen the leaks and legal documentation leaked by Activision about this series as evidence during the trial they had with Infinity Ward. We already knew quite about of detail about the basic design of the game and their 10 year plan going into today so this really was just a confirmation of their new IP and just a few morsels for us to eat until later. You know the Bungie way...give us a few things to salivate over and give us bread crumbs over time, gradually more and more. I am excited....my big hope...as stupid as it sounds, though....is that they got rid of the horrible reticule bloom mechanics that they put into Halo Reach. Sage Merril, the sandbox designer of Reach, made a crap game in Shadow Run because of that, then messed up Halo with his horrible implementation of weapon bloom (so much that Halo 4 made great strides to fix that and let the community know they did). So my hopes are the sandbox feels great again :)

"I think we're just getting started."

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 18:23 (4084 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

by Jabberwok, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 18:32 (4084 days ago) @ Avateur

I'm also hoping to see more content soon, but actually, I think they showed a fair amount of footage for an announcement. Most announcements don't have any gameplay at all. I was hoping for a bigger finish to the ARG, but it was still really interesting, and the vidoc plus all of the press articles are a lot for just one day.

This is interesting...

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 18:45 (4084 days ago) @ Avateur
edited by biggy, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 18:48

Jeff Gerstmann seems to think something ELSE was meant to shown at the press event, but ended up being pulled. Go to 21 minutes.

Wouldn't shock me.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 18:54 (4084 days ago) @ biggy

So much about today felt a little "that's it?"

When I was listening to the IGN thing, the whole time it felt like they were supposed to have more to talk about for a 1-hour talk.

This is interesting...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, February 18, 2013, 08:34 (4083 days ago) @ biggy

Yeah I caught that bit as well. There might have been some technical hangup that prevented a demo from happening or something.

Could have been network difficulties or a bug prevented some demo build from running properly. Or it could have been that the missing thing wasn't a game demo - maybe there was a video put together for the press (not the vidoc we saw, but maybe something meant to be played at the media event) and somebody lost the file. Maybe there was supposed to be a circus performance and the elephant got sick.

If it is true that there was something planned that didn't happen, I wouldn't be surprised if that thing does get shown some time soon, once the kinks are worked out.

This is interesting...

by Claude Errera @, Monday, February 18, 2013, 10:34 (4083 days ago) @ biggy

lol - I'm pretty sure they're not pulling ANYONE from the community in to sign NDAs and play the game, EVER, much less 'all the time'... Gerstmann's embellishing quite a bit in what he heard. (That's not to say they didn't say they were playtesting - they definitely DID say that. I'm just saying his frustration is misplaced; they're not showing it to ANYONE outside of testers, as far as I know.)

Most awkward moment of Wednesday was when Harold Ryan asked "so, have you played it yet?" and urk had to say "no, he's not cleared for that."

:)

Your body must not have been ready. *NM*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, February 18, 2013, 10:59 (4083 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

This is interesting...

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 07:38 (4082 days ago) @ biggy

Interstingly, he sounds like Bungie the studio was ready to show the game, but Activision/Bungie the marketing entity wanted to hold off. I think holding it back told many people to expect a fall 2014 release, but I think the game is farther along than many in the press are thinking.

Sums up my thoughts exactly

by HawaiianPig, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 19:12 (4084 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

Sums up my thoughts exactly

by konrad, Monday, February 18, 2013, 09:44 (4083 days ago) @ HawaiianPig

Too little info to not be underwhelmed. Hopefully E3 will fix that.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 20:02 (4084 days ago) @ Avateur

I know that feel bro,

It awesome to get to look forward to something and from now til then, devour all info that comes from the burning blue gates.

Also, I can't wait to see what the sandbox will give us. I wanna fly, I wanna drive, I wanna race Pikes on Venus. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'haw!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 21:11 (4084 days ago) @ Avateur

Overheard at my home while watching the Vidoc: 'I want to be cynical, but it won't let me.'

Feelin' good.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread