Warmind Warport Card *Spoilers* (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, May 09, 2018, 00:13 (2189 days ago)

I’ll probably be posting more about Warmind tomorrow, but I wanted to jot down a few quick notes about the DLC.

• The story and implications were more complete and further reaching than I thought they’d be. I wasn’t confident we’d get to hear Xol or Rasputin say a word and I was plesently surprised at the reveal of why Rasputin has been crashing Warsats.
  • I thought the missions were pretty good. I was playing as a Titan so I wasn’t really in too much danger, but I still had fun.
  • I really like the variety of this section of Mars. It’s not super huge, but it feels a bit bigger than Titan and feels like it has a lot more explorability and secrets than any of the other D2 destinations. It blows Mercury out of the water.
  • Getting to recover Warsats again is a lot of fun and just watching them come in and land on my Guardian was so nostalgic.
  • I’m actually looking forward to unlocking the caches and music boxes. Those music box things were a fun, knowing bit of foreshadowing from the Arecibo mission on Io.
  • I hope Ana’s logs from the Golden Age continue up until the collapse. But we’ll see...

Now... I’m tired and its’s late. First Impression? Warmind is much closer to what the smaller Destiny DLC’s should be than Curse of Osiris was. I liked it a lot so far. More tomorrow. :)

Warmind Warport Card *Spoilers*

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, May 09, 2018, 05:33 (2189 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I’m pretty happy so far.

Mars is a cool destination. It’s interesting and varied and decently large while still easy to navigate.

We got interesting stuff with Rasputin. I’m glad he feels like a concrete, somewhat known quantity now, rather than the nebulous thing he has been in the past.

The frozen hive aren’t vastly different from the normal hive, but they’re fun to fight, and Warmind sure loves to throw a lot of them at you, which felt pretty intense at times.

The missions were fun and well designed. Some really cool encounters in there.

The only real disappointment for me is Xol. That whole arc seemed really half baked and poorly executed. Zavala says Rasputin isn’t the only thing that woke up on Mars and the mission ends. Then you go to Earth and Zavala drops his name and gives us basically no information, like we’re already supposed to know what he’s talking about.

The final fight wasn’t awful, but it wasn’t great, and it doesn’t feel very cool to meet a worm god and then obliterate it within the span of 30 minutes. Really negates how powerful this thing supposedly is.

This

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, May 09, 2018, 22:40 (2188 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The only real disappointment for me is Xol. That whole arc seemed really half baked and poorly executed. Zavala says Rasputin isn’t the only thing that woke up on Mars and the mission ends. Then you go to Earth and Zavala drops his name and gives us basically no information, like we’re already supposed to know what he’s talking about.

There was such a disconnect between the two missions you mention that I honestly thought I had missed something. When were we told the name of the worm god? Did Zavala know that the thing we awoke was a worm god? How did he know his name/weakness/etc?

Those are serious questions, btw. I need some help filling in the gaps!

Gears 2

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 09, 2018, 23:57 (2188 days ago) @ Oholiab

Remember in Gears of War 2 when you have to kill that huge worm, by going inside of it in a whole mission and chainsaw its heart? Thinking about that, it seems like Bungie could have done way cooler things when it comes to killing Xol.

Gears 2 : Warmind *SP*

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, May 10, 2018, 06:49 (2188 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Remember in Gears of War 2 when you have to kill that huge worm, by going inside of it in a whole mission and chainsaw its heart? Thinking about that, it seems like Bungie could have done way cooler things when it comes to killing Xol.

Man, that was a good mission. It would have been cool to do something like that! Overall I liked the final encounter, it just came too quick. I would have liked a couple more missions and cutscenes to establish Xol as a worthy opponent.

At this point, I feel like Destiny just decided to go Prison of Elders with their baddies: No (or very few, like one every two years) villains, lots of bosses. Which is fine from a gameplay point of view, but doesn't lend itself to interesting storytelling.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, May 10, 2018, 08:29 (2188 days ago) @ breitzen

For all the buildup in the lore, I just think the worms should be killed in raids. I was disappointed to see that I could kill one with a sidearm if I wanted too. It should have at least been immune to everything but the Valkarie.

Maybe we will get one of the bigger ones as a raid. I really like the idea of the raid being on top and inside this giant worm. Maybe at the end you set off a massive bomb and have a Halo style run on sparrows down its back to get away.

Now that I think about it, Kings Fall was technically inside a worm.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, May 10, 2018, 08:35 (2188 days ago) @ bluerunner

For all the buildup in the lore, I just think the worms should be killed in raids. I was disappointed to see that I could kill one with a sidearm if I wanted too. It should have at least been immune to everything but the Valkarie.

Maybe we will get one of the bigger ones as a raid. I really like the idea of the raid being on top and inside this giant worm. Maybe at the end you set off a massive bomb and have a Halo style run on sparrows down its back to get away.

Now that I think about it, Kings Fall was technically inside a worm.

haha! Technically! I keep forgetting about that!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, May 10, 2018, 10:10 (2188 days ago) @ breitzen

Yep. The Dreadnaught was Akka. And Xol was said to be the least powerful of the worms. Personally, I wanted Rasputin to use Warsats on Xol instead of use chunking Valkyries... Maybe even an ending cutscene where Rasputin nukes a fleeing Xol from orbit to be sure.

Who is to say that it's dead?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, May 10, 2018, 14:48 (2188 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Yep. The Dreadnaught was Akka. And Xol was said to be the least powerful of the worms. Personally, I wanted Rasputin to use Warsats on Xol instead of use chunking Valkyries... Maybe even an ending cutscene where Rasputin nukes a fleeing Xol from orbit to be sure.

People keep saying that we killed Xol, but can't the worms have some sort of throne world like the Hive? Xol could totally still resurrect himself for the raid...

Who is to say that it's dead?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, May 10, 2018, 15:57 (2188 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Yes. Akka, also known as Oryx’s Dreadnaught after Oryx killed it, was also said to somehow not be dead. For lore purposes I highly doubt Xol is completely dead. But for in-game purposes, I also highly doubt we’ll hear from Xol again...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 10, 2018, 10:42 (2188 days ago) @ bluerunner

This would be awesome. And to open up the raid your fireteam has to go into the sand and walk with rhythm.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, May 10, 2018, 10:57 (2188 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This would be awesome. And to open up the raid your fireteam has to go into the sand and walk with rhythm.

Giant worm on a desert planet. So much lost opportunity for some nods to Dune. I wish I could have some stillsuit hunter armor at least.

[image]

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 10, 2018, 11:27 (2188 days ago) @ bluerunner

Giant worm on a desert planet. So much lost opportunity for some nods to Dune. I wish I could have some stillsuit hunter armor at least.

The Dune Universe is so fucking cool. I wondered why nobody had made a Destiny style game out of it… but then I realized it's so fucking cool there'd be no way to do it right.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, May 10, 2018, 17:03 (2188 days ago) @ bluerunner

[image]

That reminds me, even Halo 5 had a giant worm cameo on one of it's MP maps... can't remember the name, but I remember playing it with Loftus. It was pretty cool, for what it was.

Like the megaladon in Battle Field.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, May 11, 2018, 09:32 (2187 days ago) @ Revenant1988

That reminds me, even Halo 5 had a giant worm cameo on one of it's MP maps... can't remember the name, but I remember playing it with Loftus. It was pretty cool, for what it was.

The Rig.
Activating the whole thing took a few steps (which was neat), and made the entire map slightly more terrifying as a result. I commend 343 for getting that right, at least.

[image]
For those who skipped the game, that thing that the worm is eating is a giant drilling rig, identical to the one that you're on... way out in the open desert.

Like the megaladon in Battle Field.

Or the thing that swims by when you're inside the Arcology.

Or the giant squid in Assassin's Creed (Revelations?).

I love games that stick a giant thing that could theoretically eat you without you standing a chance (yeah, I've heard of Subnautica).

*WITHOUT rhythm

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 10, 2018, 12:14 (2188 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

But then you WOULDN’T attract the worm…

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 10, 2018, 13:18 (2188 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

But then you WOULDN’T attract the worm…

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 10, 2018, 18:30 (2187 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Boom, free Raid loot by stealthing it

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, May 09, 2018, 06:04 (2189 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I'm only a few missions in but:

Played with headphones and the sounds are amazing. I love the sound of the Hive, especially when you head pop them.

The boss battle vs Nokris was a blast. Challenging but not frustrating.

I did find the first Valkyrie section to be super frustrating. Is that weapon super powerful or worthless, I couldn't tell. Sometimes it would decimate an entire group sometimes it did nothing at all.

Has anyone figure out how to trigger the heroic event for the warsat defense?

I've noticed a few little hologram icons inside Clovis Bray, when you shoot them it says "Immune", what's that about?

The updates to Eververse are pretty good, imo.

Was disappointed to see that the armors I'm unlocking are still Errant Knight and Road Complex.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, May 09, 2018, 06:16 (2189 days ago) @ ManKitten

You need to match damage types with the little holograms. They appear to come in Kinetic, Arc, Void, Solar, and Valkyrie.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, May 09, 2018, 07:32 (2189 days ago) @ ManKitten

Heroic warsats: There are 3 shriekers that spawn around the warsat. Every once in a while wizards will appear. Kill the wizards and shoot the shrieker that opens up. You have to get all 3.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, May 09, 2018, 07:41 (2189 days ago) @ bluerunner

Heroic warsats: There are 3 shriekers that spawn around the warsat. Every once in a while wizards will appear. Kill the wizards and shoot the shrieker that opens up. You have to get all 3.

It seems like this has been done. From what I've noticed, the wizards show up to cast darkness around the Warsat. Once you kill the Wizards, the fog lifts and one of the Shriekers opens up. The only detail I don't remember paying attention to is the number of Shriekers that get taken out. It seemed like on the third round, there were multiple wizards that showed up and confusion abounded.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, May 09, 2018, 08:09 (2189 days ago) @ ManKitten

It seems like this has been done. From what I've noticed, the wizards show up to cast darkness around the Warsat. Once you kill the Wizards, the fog lifts and one of the Shriekers opens up. The only detail I don't remember paying attention to is the number of Shriekers that get taken out. It seemed like on the third round, there were multiple wizards that showed up and confusion abounded.

I feel like we did this every time naturally?

Side note: Has anyone noticed that one of the shriekers looks slightly different than the normal one? I need to take pictures to double check, but I always do a double take when I see it.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, May 09, 2018, 08:15 (2189 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Side note: Has anyone noticed that one of the shriekers looks slightly different than the normal one? I need to take pictures to double check, but I always do a double take when I see it.

The Shriekers get shrouded in a cloud. Other than that I haven’t noticed any look different but I’ve only done the event twice.

Another hologram question

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Saturday, May 12, 2018, 11:05 (2186 days ago) @ ManKitten

Ive been finding the cache holograms and shooting them out but i found one i cant figure out. Its near the southern landing spot tucked under eath the road support. Its red, sparking and making a fizz sound. Ive shot with solar weapon and golden gun but its always immune. Any ideas?

Another hologram question

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, May 12, 2018, 11:22 (2186 days ago) @ ManKitten

Gotta use the Valkyrie

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 09, 2018, 08:16 (2189 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I disagree with your first point. I’ll make a story post and explain why.

Story: D
Game: B

Exotic weapon changes

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, May 09, 2018, 08:39 (2189 days ago) @ Ragashingo

The first time I shot a group of thrall with my Sunshot...

DARCI is pretty much a very high powered scout rifle now. I love it. I'm hoping someone calculates its DPS potential now.

Rat King is much better. Full auto really helps it feel more powerful. I ran one of the quest missions that was all indoors with it and Quickfang. Drop an enemy, reload, and I have plenty of time while invisible to circle around the rest and ambush them with my sword. Perfect weapon for a stealth build on a hunter.

Prospector getting sticky grenades makes it a fun weapon for public events or anywhere enemies advance in groups. Plop a bunch of grenades all around and watch the minefield go off when the Cabal drop from thier ships. I probably won't use it in high level stuff, but it is fun for patrol.

Those were the only ones I spent any time with last night. I like that they feel more exotic and powerful. I feel more like I can build loadouts around the exotics rather than they being just a legendary feeling weapon that locks up a slot.

Exotic weapon changes

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 09, 2018, 08:53 (2189 days ago) @ bluerunner

Telesto absolutely wrecks in PvP. I got a few kills in competitive last night that put my old Purifier VIII to shame.

Also Skyburners is like crazy good now in PvE. Those hip fire explosive shots absolutely wreck groups of weak enemies.

The increased ammo really helps Crimson, but I would use it over my other hand cannons really.

Exotic weapon changes

by Le Comte, New York, NY, Wednesday, May 09, 2018, 09:57 (2189 days ago) @ bluerunner

Bungie weren't joking about the new-and-improved Graviton Lance. The thing melts adds like they were made if cotton candy, and ooooooh, the sound. It's gone directly from useless to my Energy slot main.

Exotic weapon changes

by Le Comte, New York, NY, Wednesday, May 09, 2018, 09:59 (2189 days ago) @ Le Comte

Oh, and it's not an exotic thing, but LFRs are monsters in PvE post this round of sandbox tweaks.

Exotic weapon changes

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 09, 2018, 14:18 (2189 days ago) @ Le Comte

Bungie weren't joking about the new-and-improved Graviton Lance. The thing melts adds like they were made if cotton candy, and ooooooh, the sound. It's gone directly from useless to my Energy slot main.

It's sick in PvP as well.

Exotic weapon changes

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, May 09, 2018, 10:37 (2189 days ago) @ bluerunner

Ditto on Sunshot. The explosions are noticeably more powerful now.

Graviton Lance is... wow. It sounds different, but still good. The actual shooting part feels great (though it's almost a scout rifle in practice), the explosions are super useful now. Bravo.

Skyburner's Oath, as Cody said, is super good now. I always thought it was good, but it's even better. To clarify a couple things that I and others were wondering prior to release:

• Yes, it still has the slower high-damage shots when zoomed in.
  • Yes, the zoomed-in shots are also explosive.
  • Yes, it still penetrates Phalanx shields.

So it has everything that made it useful before. There's just more to it now.

I used Telesto a bit and was surprised at how useful it actually was. I dunno if they changed it, I just didn't tend to use it much previously because I was always out of room in my heavy slots so it just didn't make it into my usual rotation. I have more room now (thanks to the quest items moving into their own area), so I brought it along. The reload effect is more useful than I had anticipated, and it works very well as a trip mine - which is nice for those new knights carrying shields.

Hard Light still feels essentially the same in normal usage, but being able to swap damage type on the fly will be nice. Speaking of which, did I read the patch notes correctly that matching damage type to shields DOES actually do a bit more damage now? As opposed to before, when any energy damage was the same, and matching the damage type only got you the explosion when their shield broke.

That's all I've had time to try so far.

Wormhusk Crown

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 09, 2018, 14:21 (2189 days ago) @ stabbim

The Workmhusk crown is my go to for competitive PvP.

It's a Hunter helmet that gives you life back, and immediately starts health regen on dodge. It's really really good. I lost count of how many times after a firefight or in the middle of one where an opponent assumed my health was low and engaged only to die. Nope. I regained it all back!

If you take a few shots, you can dodge to go back up to full like nothing happened.

Mars rules!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, May 10, 2018, 19:51 (2187 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Hellas Basin might be my new favorite Destination in Destiny.

The Dreadnaught was cool with its secrets, but it was a pain to get around, and the dark got really tiresome.

Mars has a fantastic aesthetic. I liked Mars in the original Destiny a whole bunch--that barren red desert is just striking, especially with the future city buildings as a stark contrast. They cranked that up a notch with both the ice and the buildings. The Warmind aesthetic has always been some of my favorite stuff, and it definitely doesn't disappoint here. I love the server room, and of course the Warmind core. Seeing Rasputin shoot off new Warsats every so often is really neat.

And that skybox . . . I'm a sucker for starry scenes, and this one is beautiful.

The locations are fun to move around and fight in, there's a decent variety of public events and enemies roaming about. There's enough little things to find with the Data Caches (I hope this is a trend that continues going forward--I miss hunting for dead Ghosts).

All in all, I'm really enjoying this expansion. It's honestly better than I anticipated after Curse of Osiris (and I thought that was mostly fine).

Can't wait to see the raid lair!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread