Public Test Region coming to Destiny 2 (Roadmap update) (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 15:02 (2182 days ago)
edited by Korny, Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 15:20

Per Bungie

Want a place to test out experimental tweaks and provide feedback? The Crucible Labs aim to scratch that itch. Nice to see Bungie implementing that feature.

Also, Exotic armor changes? If they're as good as the exotic weapon tweaks, then we've got some good stuff to look forward to!

If Bnet is down, here's the content of the update:

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 15:16 (2181 days ago) @ Korny

Game Director Christopher Barrett:
Now that Warmind has officially launched, we're ready to add some additional details to the upcoming roadmap. There are a lot of eagerly awaited updates that are scheduled to arrive in September, and we’ll tell you more about those in the coming months, including our plans for year two of Destiny 2. But this summer won’t just be spent playing the waiting game. We'll be delivering the Prestige modes you’ve been waiting for, bringing back Bounties, providing quality of life fixes, and more. In addition, we're launching a new seasonal event called ‘Solstice of Heroes’ where Guardians will celebrate their accomplishments and, of course, earn sweet new rewards.

[image]

Design Lead Derek Carroll:
I can already hear you asking “What is Crucible Labs?” and I’m glad you want to know more. Update 1.2.1 will include a new feature intended to give you a peek behind the scenes and a louder voice in our creative process. Crucible Labs will give every player of Destiny 2 access to experimental PvP content. We’ll then have a chance to solicit your feedback to guide our final iterations. You'll learn more about Labs before launch. For today, with it making an appearance on the Roadmap, I wanted to give you a preview of our goals. More to come on this soon.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 22:19 (2181 days ago) @ CyberKN

How about they deliver a progression system that isn’t bullshit and a raid you don’t need to grind to do?

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 06:58 (2181 days ago) @ Cody Miller

How about they deliver a progression system that isn’t bullshit and a raid you don’t need to grind to do?

They did that Cody. A large and vocal portion of the community didn’t like it.

Sorry bud; You lost that battle.

Speed doin the Lord's work today.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 07:32 (2181 days ago) @ Speedracer513

- No text -

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 07:44 (2181 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I think if the launch of the Lair had been pushed to May 18, a lot of "grinding grief" would have been avoided from those of us who appreciated the lack of grind. Personally, I haven't found the 340-360 too bad though.

Still, given another week they could have even offered additional Powerful engrams on certain activities each week to incentivize varied play that will still make you more powerful without the "rush".

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 08:25 (2181 days ago) @ breitzen

This is by far my biggest gripe. Releasing the raid so quickly only caters to the hardcore grinders and streamers. If they held it back for 3 weeks, they would open it up to a lot more people being able to do it blind. The pressure to grind levels quickly in order to be able to raid before spoilers are everywhere is wearing me down. I'm starting to get to the point that I will quit caring because every expansion is the same stress over and over.

Adopt the Doctrine of Ignorance.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 08:56 (2181 days ago) @ bluerunner

I recently had an epiphany while playing: Destiny is in such a state that the less I'm invested, the more fun I have. I come to it completely uninformed and it makes everything a surprise. Learning what the changes are from engaging with my fellow DBOers ingame has been much more enjoyable than digging through reddit posts or watching videos of someone else's gameplay on Youtube.

I think this is testament to both the decisions made on implementing aspects of D2; but also the state of the culture. YMMV, but it's been a beneficial shift in perspective for me.

~M

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, May 17, 2018, 09:00 (2181 days ago) @ Malagate

I recently had an epiphany while playing: Destiny is in such a state that the less I'm invested, the more fun I have. I come to it completely uninformed and it makes everything a surprise. Learning what the changes are from engaging with my fellow DBOers ingame has been much more enjoyable than digging through reddit posts or watching videos of someone else's gameplay on Youtube.

I think this is testament to both the decisions made on implementing aspects of D2; but also the state of the culture. YMMV, but it's been a beneficial shift in perspective for me.

~M

Heh, maybe this is why I still have fun piddling around in Destiny. I never have any idea what's going on. So what everyone else is calling grinding, it's just my daily routine.

That's fine...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 10:18 (2181 days ago) @ Malagate

~M

and all well and good if you don't care about doing the raid blind, which is the one Destiny activity I value over all others. I would gladly wait a month to do the raid if I knew I had five other people committed to stay blind for that long and then have the schedule flexibility to devote a weekend to it. I don't feel like I have that luxury (it seems the weekend flexibility two weeks in is too hard), so I feel the need to form my blind team while it's still feasible to do so.

YMMV, and I'll say bully for you. It must be nice.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 20, 2018, 22:27 (2177 days ago) @ Malagate

Yes exactly! So… wouldn't that mean the investment system getting out of the way and letting you have fun? I've been saying this for 9 years now: investment systems are anti-fun by their very design.

The easiest and most realistic implementation of this is a simple light level selector on the activity, ranging from very easy to very hard. Almost like the difficulty selector they had in the Alpha. You can work your way up any way you see fit.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, May 21, 2018, 08:04 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes exactly! So… wouldn't that mean the investment system getting out of the way and letting you have fun? I've been saying this for 9 years now: investment systems are anti-fun by their very design.

I disagree. You have the option not to subscribe to that aspect. I think investment systems can be done right; they're a way to keep the experience dynamic even after one has invested significant time already. And Bungie is clearly still figuring out how they want theirs tuned to fit within the Destiny experience.

I think the real issue is that players overfocus on the investment system rather than just playing to have fun. Increasing LL doesn't change gameplay. Sure, you'll be able to run Heroics and Nightfalls, because your damage values change, but that's immaterial. Combat itself over time isn't dynamic. The shift in meta according to Bungie's whims (which are informed by data collection) are the only source of variation beyond a certain point.

In a game all about winnowing down humanity's best to find a small cadre of ultimate soldiers; one would think new and amazing powers would open up to higher-level players. Or, at the very least, the nature of combat for higher-level players would focus on different things.

The easiest and most realistic implementation of this is a simple light level selector on the activity, ranging from very easy to very hard. Almost like the difficulty selector they had in the Alpha. You can work your way up any way you see fit.

And I can see the argument for that, but that isn't what is. And, as I've responded to you elsewhere; this would require more rounds of testing and tuning, which would add time to their release schedule at minimum. I'm guessing they won't feel like the benefit balances the investment of resources there.

~M

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 21, 2018, 08:18 (2177 days ago) @ Malagate

I disagree. You have the option not to subscribe to that aspect.

False. The game demands you engage with it. I need to progress from 350 to around 370 if I want to do the raid. Explain to me how to do that without engaging in the investment system in which the only way to advance is to do boring things (besides maybe run the old raids)?

I think investment systems can be done right;

It's not done right here in my opinion. Nor is it done right in many other modern games.

I think the real issue is that players overfocus on the investment system rather than just playing to have fun.

Because they tie the things that are fun to engaging with the investment system. I do not get this. Everybody on reddit loved Destiny's position in the rise of iron era, and there was no grind to the raids. That's an era everyone wants to go back to. So…

In a game all about winnowing down humanity's best to find a small cadre of ultimate soldiers; one would think new and amazing powers would open up to higher-level players. Or, at the very least, the nature of combat for higher-level players would focus on different things.

This is why the progression system should open up over a longer period of time, over a wider variety of activities, and then have end game content that requires absolute mastery of the skills you've learned. You gain experience and can keep customizing your avatar in Deus Ex all the way up to the final area, which is a mega death murder trap in which you must exploit all the skills you've chosen in order to survive.

And I can see the argument for that, but that isn't what is. And, as I've responded to you elsewhere; this would require more rounds of testing and tuning, which would add time to their release schedule at minimum.

Fine. I would be more than happy with large releases every year as opposed to small ones 3 times a year.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, May 21, 2018, 08:45 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I disagree. You have the option not to subscribe to that aspect.

False. The game demands you engage with it. I need to progress from 350 to around 370 if I want to do the raid. Explain to me how to do that without engaging in the investment system in which the only way to advance is to do boring things (besides maybe run the old raids)?

LOL, so here we have another example of someone posing a conflicting viewpoint and you arguing your opinion as fact. Cody, I disagree with you because that's exactly how I play. I have the option because I choose not to care. You're being a slave to the system the game has laid out and then whining that you're not having fun when you're the one that railed against this all along. The game does not at all demand I engage with it. I do so on my own terms.

Ascribing a "boring/not-boring" qualifier for things is entirely subjective. You engage how you choose to engage, nobody is forcing you to do anything. If you're actually frustrated because you can't engage the way you want, then say that. But stop acting like the way you want to do things is the only way; and if Bungie decides to develop in a different direction, they're somehow doing it wrong. There's plenty of ways in which I think they can improve the Destiny experience, and their success in their target market is fully on them.

It's not done right here in my opinion. Nor is it done right in many other modern games.

You might be shocked to learn that I agree with you here; because you've hardly been listening to anything I've said.

I think the real issue is that players overfocus on the investment system rather than just playing to have fun.

Because they tie the things that are fun to engaging with the investment system. I do not get this. Everybody on reddit loved Destiny's position in the rise of iron era, and there was no grind to the raids. That's an era everyone wants to go back to. So…

Again very subjective. And I disagree. The only thing I miss from RoI are the Iron Lord medallions we could earn that would change gameplay. It was a layer of nuance added for players who'd already experienced all prior aspects of the game. They were a great touch.

This is why the progression system should open up over a longer period of time, over a wider variety of activities, and then have end game content that requires absolute mastery of the skills you've learned. You gain experience and can keep customizing your avatar in Deus Ex all the way up to the final area, which is a mega death murder trap in which you must exploit all the skills you've chosen in order to survive.

I don't disagree here. Escalation Protocol fits some of that for me. I still have yet to reach the end, or drop into an area where a larger group has coordinated enough to succeed, but I'm sure I will eventually. But some Non-Raid endgame activity that demands a lot from players in a similar fashion is something Destiny would certainly benefit from.

And I can see the argument for that, but that isn't what is. And, as I've responded to you elsewhere; this would require more rounds of testing and tuning, which would add time to their release schedule at minimum.

Fine. I would be more than happy with large releases every year as opposed to small ones 3 times a year.

As would I. But in either case, Destiny still needs a more frequent and consistent drip of free content that builds out lore and adds life and strings of connective tissue to the world. Give me three or four kids running through the tower kicking a soccer ball, FFS. Or hassling vendors, etc.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 08:56 (2181 days ago) @ bluerunner

This is by far my biggest gripe. Releasing the raid so quickly only caters to the hardcore grinders and streamers. If they held it back for 3 weeks, they would open it up to a lot more people being able to do it blind. The pressure to grind levels quickly in order to be able to raid before spoilers are everywhere is wearing me down. I'm starting to get to the point that I will quit caring because every expansion is the same stress over and over.

Although I would have liked it pushed back, this is all based on the idea that we feel like we are required to play the raid as soon as it comes out. Everyone wants to play the raid as soon as it comes out. However, that means that Bungie has to decided when is the best average time to release it. That puts it on Bungie to make the right choice. In reality we as gamers need to realize it's on us to play it when we are ready and not just play it immediately when we aren't prepared for it.

I say this because it would be unfair for the people who are ready in two weeks or even 1 week to not be able to play it immediately because the majority can't "grind" fast enough to play it.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 13:35 (2181 days ago) @ bluerunner

Or fucking release a 350 version at the same time as the 370 version. Normal and hard. It it that difficult?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 17:48 (2180 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Dude, I just spent an hour playing Crucible by myself (which I don't hate, but definitely didn't enjoy) for the powerful engram.

I got a pair of boots that are one power level UNDER my currently equipped boots.

It's really hard not to hate this fucking game sometimes.

by squidnh3, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 21:34 (2180 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Dude, I just spent an hour playing Crucible by myself (which I don't hate, but definitely didn't enjoy) for the powerful engram.

I got a pair of boots that are one power level UNDER my currently equipped boots.

They probably didn't have a +5 mid equipped. So it would have raised your boots by 4.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, May 18, 2018, 00:23 (2180 days ago) @ squidnh3

They probably didn't have a +5 mid equipped. So it would have raised your boots by 4.

Yup. Legendary loot from Powerful Engrams won't be modded, and it totally would boost Cheap's boots up by four. Hope you didn't shard it in a fit of rage, Cheap!

by cheapLEY @, Friday, May 18, 2018, 05:04 (2180 days ago) @ Korny
edited by cheapLEY, Friday, May 18, 2018, 05:51

My current boots don’t have a +5 equipped either, I don’t think. I got those earlier in the night from a powerful engram from the Mars Flashpoint.

And no, I didn’t shard them. I did turn the game off basically immediately though.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, May 18, 2018, 08:46 (2180 days ago) @ cheapLEY

My current boots don’t have a +5 equipped either, I don’t think. I got those earlier in the night from a powerful engram from the Mars Flashpoint.

And no, I didn’t shard them. I did turn the game off basically immediately though.

So the boots that you did get are still higher than your highest average... I don’t see the problem even if they do end up being a point below the ones you just got from the same exact method. Do you literally only have one set of legs for your character? No exotics?

I’m all for calling Bungie out for disappointing rewards, but...

Gaming should not equal stress

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, May 18, 2018, 07:34 (2180 days ago) @ bluerunner

The pressure to grind levels quickly in order to be able to raid before spoilers are everywhere is wearing me down. I'm starting to get to the point that I will quit caring because every expansion is the same stress over and over.

I still haven't done ANY raid lair because of these exact negatives. I decided it wasn't worth the negative impact on my life to be ready in time to raid blind. Unfortunately, by the time I was of a sufficient level most of the people who raid at a time that works for me were done raiding.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 08:43 (2181 days ago) @ breitzen

I think if the launch of the Lair had been pushed to May 18, a lot of "grinding grief" would have been avoided from those of us who appreciated the lack of grind. Personally, I haven't found the 340-360 too bad though.

Still, given another week they could have even offered additional Powerful engrams on certain activities each week to incentivize varied play that will still make you more powerful without the "rush".

Yeah, for the reasonable among us, pushing back the launch of the raid lair by a week (or even two or three) to get another round of milestones would arguably be a very positive relief to the "grinding grief".

BUT, in Cody's case, he thinks that having to do any activity other than a single run through of the campaign missions in order to be ready to raid means that it is a BS progression system and super grindy. So pushing back the raid lair launch wouldn't have mattered. He doesn't want to have to do any extra playing.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 13:40 (2181 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Yeah, for the reasonable among us, pushing back the launch of the raid lair by a week (or even two or three) to get another round of milestones would arguably be a very positive relief to the "grinding grief".

BUT, in Cody's case, he thinks that having to do any activity other than a single run through of the campaign missions in order to be ready to raid means that it is a BS progression system and super grindy. So pushing back the raid lair launch wouldn't have mattered. He doesn't want to have to do any extra playing.

Correct. There should be a path to the raid that you can reach by only playing new content and not replaying anything. I don’t know why they don’t release a 350 and a 370 version at launch. The hardcore can do the 370. The rest can do the 350 and not have to grind. The best part of the game was locked behind bullshit. Then they fixed that and it was great. Now they locked it behind bullshit again.

There should be a light level version of the raid which can be reached without grinding. There should also be a higher light level version for the hardcore. Not a hard concept.

Grinding to play VoG was worth it because it was such a unique experience. Now the language of raids is known, so I can no longer tolerate grinding to do it. But I also will only try it blind. If I can’t do that, I just won’t do it and that’s it.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 17, 2018, 13:48 (2181 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Grinding to play VoG was worth it because it was such a unique experience. Now the language of raids is known, so I can no longer tolerate grinding to do it. But I also will only try it blind. If I can’t do that, I just won’t do it and that’s it.

How would you know if VoG was unique or not before playing it? How did you justify it to yourself back then that simply doesn't apply anymore?

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, May 18, 2018, 08:55 (2180 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Correct. There should be a path to the raid that you can reach by only playing new content and not replaying anything. I don’t know why they don’t release a 350 and a 370 version at launch. The hardcore can do the 370. The rest can do the 350 and not have to grind. The best part of the game was locked behind bullshit. Then they fixed that and it was great. Now they locked it behind bullshit again.

Ridiculous.

Why wouldn't this just be considered a final level to the campaign then?

There's clearly been a substantial amount of effort put in to make Destiny more accessible; much to the chagrin of the "hardcore". You of all people arguing for a low bar to Raid because you don't feel it's worth it anymore when it was worth it before is majorly moving the goal posts.

Funny how you're STILL arguing the same way you always have; albeit somehow moreso.

There should be a light level version of the raid which can be reached without grinding. There should also be a higher light level version for the hardcore. Not a hard concept.

Except that all meta balancing and tweaks would then have to be run at both levels to ensure one can't be cheesed over the other. This would push back release, at a minimum.

Such a loss, really. Shame they can't thread that needle for you, while you wave it around.

~M

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 13:33 (2181 days ago) @ Speedracer513

And they seriously might have lost me. If I can’t do this raid blind, I’m not doing it at all.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 14:38 (2181 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And they seriously might have lost me. If I can’t do this raid blind, I’m not doing it at all.

I'm willing to stay blind if we push it back a week or two, but I'm not sure we'll have anyone else willing to do so.

I'm only at 345 or so. I'm going to hit as many weeklies as I can, but I still don't think I'll be much passed 350.

Everyone is celebrating how "hard" the raid is, but they made it hard in literally the laziest possible way.

I don't even care that much about having to grind to get leveled up. I'm loving Warmind, and I'll get there eventually. It's the struggle to stay blind until I get to that point that sucks.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, May 18, 2018, 08:40 (2180 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don't even care that much about having to grind to get leveled up. I'm loving Warmind, and I'll get there eventually. It's the struggle to stay blind until I get to that point that sucks.

This isn't, and can't be, any fault of Bungie's. It definitely sucks, but it's the same with any media. It's the culture (and nature) of media consumption these days. Remember, pre-D1 launch, when the arguments were being made by Bungie staff that spoilers help the enjoyment of the audience in the end?

It's all a matter of perspective.

You either rush to the theater to see the new movie before the masses, or you stick your fingers in your ears and LALALA until your butt is in the seat watching it. I'm certainly in favor of delaying a new Raid or Lair until 3 weeks or so after the DLC release, but the only way to avoid spoilers and streamers giving it all away is to be on that edge, diving in blind the day of.

M

by cheapLEY @, Friday, May 18, 2018, 09:15 (2180 days ago) @ Malagate

It is the fault of Bungie’s. They are the ones who determine the light level of the raid, and when to make the raid available. They know full well that was unlikely if not downright impossible for anyone to be at the appropriate level for the raid when it was first available.

One could argue that maybe that’s their intended goal, but I’d counter with that’s a horseshit design goal. Cody’s right on this one. Raid accessibility has been an issue from day one, and it was fixed for the first two raids in D2. Why the hell did they go backwards?

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, May 18, 2018, 09:24 (2180 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It is the fault of Bungie’s. They are the ones who determine the light level of the raid, and when to make the raid available. They know full well that was unlikely if not downright impossible for anyone to be at the appropriate level for the raid when it was first available.

Sure, yes, the LL of the Raid and date of availability are up to them. Those are decisions under their control.

I'm sure they expected some to grindy-grindy-grind to be ready on Day 1; because for some full-time streamers, it means their livelihood. Or bragging rights. I suppose it depends on how badly you need or want to be part of that zeitgeist.

One could argue that maybe that’s their intended goal, but I’d counter with that’s a horseshit design goal.

Based on your perspective, sure. But how much does it really impact you? Is the raid not available to you? Are you not part of a community that's willing to run it with you? Is someone else going to eat all the chicken before you get there?

Grind until you're ready. Don't watch Raid strat vids. Keep tight with your people. I don't see anything stopping you from enjoying what's there.

M

by cheapLEY @, Friday, May 18, 2018, 10:22 (2180 days ago) @ Malagate
edited by cheapLEY, Friday, May 18, 2018, 10:35

I'm sure they expected some to grindy-grindy-grind to be ready on Day 1; because for some full-time streamers, it means their livelihood. Or bragging rights. I suppose it depends on how badly you need or want to be part of that zeitgeist.

It’s not even about that. It’s about finding 5 other people willing to wait. We already had one of our group asking to push it up a week because they didn’t want to wait. The chances of everyone holding out drop every single week it doesn’t happen. I’ll never not see this as a bad design decision on Bungie’s part. There so many easy ways to make this a non-issue, but instead they decided to take a huge step backwards from the way raids have been since The Taken King. I don’t get it.

I’m not as upset as it seems. I’m just bummed. Raiding blind is easily the best thing in Destiny. I like the game as a whole, but it’s not even close. But Bungie has made that difficult to accomplish.

I understand that I’m in the minority. Most of the community asked for this (I’ll never understand why), and that’s fine. It just feels like a giant step backwards to me, and it makes going in blind much more difficult than it has to be.

As it is, I’m probably going to write this one off. I’ll be ready when I’m ready and I’ll just have to deal with not being able to do it with a full blind group.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, May 18, 2018, 10:35 (2180 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I hear you. I don't share your perspective but I hear you. FWIW, I'm still blind on this (so far), so you can count me in whenever you decide to make the attempt. Hopefully I'll still be blind at that point, but I can't promise.

~M

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 20, 2018, 22:19 (2177 days ago) @ Malagate
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, May 20, 2018, 22:22

Grind until you're ready.

I don't want to have to grind anymore. That's the point. You could do the raids in Dark Below (maybe), Taken King, Rise of Iron, Destiny 2, and Curse of Osiris with no grind whatsoever. Now you can't. It's a giant step backwards in my opinion, and they are losing me.

Rose-tinted glasses? More like crimson-red-tinted

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, May 20, 2018, 23:12 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, May 20, 2018, 23:55 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's a giant step backwards in my opinion, and they are losing me.

Between you coming back after quitting Destiny forever, and buying D2 even though it had Microtransactions in it (and which were pervasive and detrimental to the experience)... I'm pretty sure you're not going anywhere, man. Why do you always bring it up like a manipulative girlfriend?

I think it's fairly simple.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, May 21, 2018, 07:49 (2177 days ago) @ Korny

He wants to feel rewarded for his flavor and degree of investment, and that's not being met. I can sympathize. Speaking for myself I'm heartbroken at the retcons and the overall state of the canon; but that doesn't keep me from enjoying everything else.

But I think it's fairly common among the fandom these days. Destiny doesn't reward players in the same way that Halo did, and I think one of the main reasons for that is that Destiny is designed to reward investment over time (and has a shifting meta, which keeps things dynamic); whereas Halo was a complete experience that didn't require various forms of investment to allow the player to experience all it had to offer.

Apples and oranges, to be sure. But as you've pointed out, he's still here. I'm convinced it's a shift in perspective that's needed.

~M

I think it's fairly simple.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 21, 2018, 08:01 (2177 days ago) @ Malagate

He wants to feel rewarded for his flavor and degree of investment, and that's not being met. I can sympathize. Speaking for myself I'm heartbroken at the retcons and the overall state of the canon; but that doesn't keep me from enjoying everything else.

But I think it's fairly common among the fandom these days. Destiny doesn't reward players in the same way that Halo did, and I think one of the main reasons for that is that Destiny is designed to reward investment over time (and has a shifting meta, which keeps things dynamic); whereas Halo was a complete experience that didn't require various forms of investment to allow the player to experience all it had to offer.

Apples and oranges, to be sure. But as you've pointed out, he's still here. I'm convinced it's a shift in perspective that's needed.

~M

It's complicated by the fact that it is indeed a social game and better with friends. So, you kind of can't dictate the pace at which you play completely and have to take your friends into account.

But the difference between Destiny 2 and something like D&D is, while you have to co-ordinate with your friends to play D&D, you don't have to do any 'work' to be able to do it. You can just play. Destiny requires maintenance in the form of increasing your light level such that you can keep up.

*[caveat]

by Harmanimus @, Monday, May 21, 2018, 08:57 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

*depending entirely upon the specific additional rules utilized; player developmental goals; character developmental goals; DM skill, experience, and flexibility; overall group desires and motivations; level of de-gamification that has been conducted to accommodate tonal nature of the campaign; etc.

DnD is mechanically focused entirely like modern investment and loot games. The only difference is that you don’t get a DM to supercede the game in Destiny.

*[caveat]

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 21, 2018, 09:28 (2177 days ago) @ Harmanimus

DnD is mechanically focused entirely like modern investment and loot games. The only difference is that you don’t get a DM to supercede the game in Destiny.

I disagree completely.

I've said before gear and stats in D&D are just there to abstract the things you can't role play. They are incidental. D&D is based around the storytelling of the adventure. All the fun important decisions involve that. The 'mechanical' combat is the most boring part. I don't recall chasing any gear or wanting to level up ever in D&D. The things you find on the way aid in the storytelling. At least the way we play. In fact when I play, whoever is the DM never gives out exp. They just level up the players when they think it would be good.

*[caveat]

by Harmanimus @, Monday, May 21, 2018, 09:39 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Would probably be better off running FATE or a mechanics light GURPS or Storyteller System. From a game design standpoint what you are describing (other than arbitrary leveling which more recently has been provided as an in-rules alternative) is modifying the root design conceits of the game. DnD is inherently an action-resolution game and even in 5e bares the teeth of wargaming that originally bore it into existence.

The supposition that it is all in the storytelling is gutting DnD down to a 2-page PDF. Which is a fair way to play the game, but see my initial caveats that are required to separate DnD from what it is and what the rules emphasize it to be. Obviously, if no one is doing more than rolling dice at stat blocks your combat is going to hold no interest. But that’s a failure of the DM, not the mechanisms of the game detracting from the experience of combat.

*[caveat]

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 21, 2018, 09:50 (2177 days ago) @ Harmanimus
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, May 21, 2018, 09:57

The supposition that it is all in the storytelling is gutting DnD down to a 2-page PDF. Which is a fair way to play the game, but see my initial caveats that are required to separate DnD from what it is and what the rules emphasize it to be. Obviously, if no one is doing more than rolling dice at stat blocks your combat is going to hold no interest. But that’s a failure of the DM, not the mechanisms of the game detracting from the experience of combat.

I have the player's handbook obviously. There's a ton of stuff to learn and a ton of 'rules'. But those are just there to mediate the things that you can't role play. If I fire an arrow, it's just more streamlined to make a roll to see if I hit than to have the player actually fire an arrow at a target on the wall.

I play D&D precisely because our group minimizes that boring mechanical stuff. The very first time we ever played, we did a pre-made scenario called "Lost Mines of Phandelver" (We rotate DMs and each create our own now). Afterward, the DM told us that he basically had to improvise everything since we did nothing expected. We basically made a disguise and walked right into the first 'dungeon', and talked our way to the 'boss', then pushed him into a fire when he wasn't looking killing him. I don't think we entered a single round of combat.

None of the most memorable things we've done involve mechanical combat and dice rolls. It's the stories, the plans, and the misteps (SO many misteps!) that we laugh about. Actually I take it back. There was a memorable botch in a constitution roll during a drunken hookup between a party member and an Aristocrats's daughter.

Maybe that's not real D&D, but at least we can do that. Because we can make our own rules: we aren't bound by game code.

*[caveat]

by Harmanimus @, Monday, May 21, 2018, 10:21 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

To reemphasize:

level of de-gamification that has been conducted to accommodate tonal nature of the campaign

Mechanically, even for social interactions (in some pen and paper games explicitly referred to as social combat) DnD is pretty well structured as a game. And I have been in games where the most memorable events were theough roleplay. I have also been in games where a single roll in a combat was the most memorable event.

No, you aren’t bound by game code. But what you describe is both the best and worst aspect of DnD, not being bound by the game at all. Thankfully there are newer mechanisms to support quality roleplay instead of having to rely on individual DM fiat. An established group gets used to the way their folk interact. But if you do any Adventurer’s League or pikc-up games or have multiple groups you learn a lot more about the structural focus.

I’m not ragging on group storytelling. I worldbuild as a hobby. But I just consider it disingenuous to describe DnD as something it isn’t to bring down something that is of similar mold.

*[caveat]

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 21, 2018, 10:31 (2177 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I’m not ragging on group storytelling. I worldbuild as a hobby. But I just consider it disingenuous to describe DnD as something it isn’t to bring down something that is of similar mold.

I disagree that that's not what D&D was / is about. The stats were always incidental, not the main focus. Storytelling was always the goal. You just needed a framework because it had to mediate player participation over many sessions (thus leveling mechanics to simulate character improvement and mastery). At least in my opinion.

You mentioned other varieties that are less mechanically heavy. What would you recommend? I have no interest in sticking rigidly to the rules.

*[caveat]

by Harmanimus @, Monday, May 21, 2018, 11:08 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Early DnD was literal wargaming. The character and story aspects developed later. I would actually suggest it wasn’t until 3e that DnD became more about Role than Roll. Obviously it varies by group, but traditional DnD considers the story stuff incidental. (Though in context I think 5e is probably the best DnD has ever been in balancing the different draws and providing flexibility)

You mentioned other varieties that are less mechanically heavy. What would you recommend? I have no interest in sticking rigidly to the rules.

To go as light as possible but still some mechanical resolution system, I would suggest Fudge or Fate (alternately presented as FUDGE and FATE) as a jumping point. They are based around fudge dice (d6 with two +,-, and _ faces each) and tend to be statistically like. Fate is fully skill focused. They’re mechanical systems and are not settings, so you can overlay whatever fantasy setting you want.

More recently Fantasy Flight Games has put out Genesys (I am slowly building a Destiny setting/conversion out of it [emphasis on slowly]) which takes their Star Wars system (Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, and Force and Destiny) and leaves their narrative dice system in place. Drawback is proprietary dice, but usually a group can get by with one or two sets. Highly modular, additional suppliments are being released/developed. The core book has suggestions for 5 or something generic settings/tones.

Free League (Fria Ligan) has a pretty interesting way of doing rules and are pretty fluid. I am a fan of Tales from the Loop. But have heard positive hings about the different mechanical decisions in Mutant: Year Zero and Coriolis. Worth looking into, though it might require leg work if you are looking for a traditional fantasy experience.

*[caveat]

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, May 21, 2018, 11:23 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I have two main D&D type games going on right now. One is Pathfinder, which is very crunchy and numbery. The other is based on GURPS, and the way we are playing it barely has any rules at all. And know which one I prefer? The Pathfinder one. By far. Because of “the most boring parts.”

The rules and far more tightly regulated combat and leveling up greatly enhances things for me. I look forward to combat far more because I have a character I’ve been building for years to enhance and compliment the strengths and weaknesses of the group. I have spells I’ve selected for the particular in game day. I have different weapons that works differently depending on what I’m fighting. I have used my different skills to save myself and my party in various times of crisis that I most certainly remember. And all of this is not to say we don’t have any story. We have loads and loads and loads of story and chanaracter development and inter party conflict and diplomacy with friends and foes alike. But for me, the best of the best moments have been when the story and the number-y rules have worked together to generate instances of awesome. For instance:

- The time where our Barbarian dove into a river where he should have drowned but rolled well so he didn’t. He waded out surprising the surrounding towns people both because he was naked and because he had retrieved the lost silver club that he then preceded to use to finish off the werewolf who had been dogging our party for the past two days. My character helped, because I was the only other one who could damage the werewolf thanks to its thick, damage resisting to hide.

- Or the time that my character, a heavy armor sword and shield Paladin went off on his own and got surrounded by Kobolds. Instead of fighting through the group one by one, I relied on my superior armor to wade forward while deflecting 4+ attacks of opportunity per round until I gloriously and heroically reached the Kobold leader and killed him with one swipe of my sword. The others panicked and were soon cut down or ran away. I loved that scene because I used my character’s armor, and quick healing and ability to choose a target to do extra damage and take less damage from.

My GURPS game, by contrast, is very free form. Our story is pretty good, but mechanically speaking, I find it very lacking. We don’t use distance really at all so anyone can attack from anywhere. Most of our players attack no matter the combat situation because there are basically no rules so we basically cannot lose. There are no skills or feats or really much distinction between even our fighter and our doctor in terms of combat. Without “the boring parts” we barely have gameplay and we might as well just declare that we win whenever there is combat.

I think there are certainly cases where going strictly by the rules isn’t a good thing. Leveling up where it makes sense seems far better to me than counting XP, especially in games where the entire story and world are made up by us instead of being pre-made and pre-playtested. But yeah... what you find boring isn’t what I find boring. And I’d go as far as saying I would not like to play in your D&D group because of the way your players seems to treat the rules and mechanical bits.

It’s not that D&D group is wrong. But, there’s more than one way to play that people enjoy... And, that, of course, applies to Destiny as well.

*[caveat]

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 21, 2018, 11:28 (2177 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I mean, I like a good mix of things. All of what you described it great, and we do 'follow the rules' to some extent, but we just bend and break the ones that aren't fun. We don't keep exact track of distance for example. The DM will maybe say, yeah you're too far or something.

Because yeah, rolling that 20 then giving an amazing one liner to save the day is really fun.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 21, 2018, 07:56 (2177 days ago) @ Korny

It's a giant step backwards in my opinion, and they are losing me.

Between you coming back after quitting Destiny forever, and buying D2 even though it had Microtransactions in it (and which were pervasive and detrimental to the experience)... I'm pretty sure you're not going anywhere, man. Why do you always bring it up like a manipulative girlfriend?

Because it's true? I think if you look at my playtime and completed activities, you will see a decline over time.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, May 21, 2018, 07:41 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't want to have to grind anymore. That's the point. You could do the raids in Dark Below (maybe), Taken King, Rise of Iron, Destiny 2, and Curse of Osiris with no grind whatsoever. Now you can't. It's a giant step backwards in my opinion, and they are losing me.

What happened to the days when YOU, Cody Miller, found your own fun (I'm assuming it was fun for you, I guess) doing things like speed runs and finding secrets? Are you just a grumpy old entitled gamer now, that demands an experience tailored to your desires?

There are more than a few people I played D1 closely with that have drifted away from Bungie entirely since, because they leaned way too hard into the grind and felt jilted afterwards. Maybe you're one of them. I dunno. But I DO know that I'm still having fun; the buffet is still piled high with goodness; and there are still good people to enjoy it all with.

I wish people would stop focusing on the grind itself and just play. Why not try a little detachment and see if that allows you to enjoy yourself?

Because I truly believe you and I are similarly dedicated fans, but you don't seem like you're having fun most of the time.

~M

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 21, 2018, 08:08 (2177 days ago) @ Malagate

What happened to the days when YOU, Cody Miller, found your own fun (I'm assuming it was fun for you, I guess) doing things like speed runs and finding secrets? Are you just a grumpy old entitled gamer now, that demands an experience tailored to your desires?

That's the whole point of buying and playing a game… because you believe the things you think are fun and want to do are in the game… of course I am going to tailor leisure activities to my desires. That's the whole point of leisure.

I wish people would stop focusing on the grind itself and just play. Why not try a little detachment and see if that allows you to enjoy yourself?

How hard is this to understand? I am 350. I've done the campaign already. The next activity that interests me is the raid. I need to get to 370 or close to it. JUST PLAYING would mean doing boring ass milestones every week to get powerful engrams. The way Bungie wants you to progress now means doing easy, boring, stupid activities. But if I wait and get there naturally while "just having fun", I'll be the right light level way too late and have nobody to do the raid with blind. That's important to me for a great experience, and for others too. That complicates things.

This is why just telling someone to have fun playing the game is not helpful.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, May 21, 2018, 08:25 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's the whole point of buying and playing a game… because you believe the things you think are fun and want to do are in the game… of course I am going to tailor leisure activities to my desires. That's the whole point of leisure.

Nope. This is you insisting that the game cater to your whims. You consistently whine about things being one way or the other. Me? I'm disappointed in plenty of aspects of Destiny overall, but the good outweighs the bad (in no small part because of the community), and that's why I'm still here.

How hard is this to understand? I am 350. I've done the campaign already. The next activity that interests me is the raid. I need to get to 370 or close to it. JUST PLAYING would mean doing boring ass milestones every week to get powerful engrams. The way Bungie wants you to progress now means doing easy, boring, stupid activities. But if I wait and get there naturally while "just having fun", I'll be the right light level way too late and have nobody to do the raid with blind. That's important to me for a great experience, and for others too. That complicates things.

How condescending do you care about being? I don't care what LL you are. You're making a LOT of noise about exactly what you want and why, and once again the funk is pervasive. It's unfortunate that you're not having fun, and if reading my responses to you, you're only receiving "just try having fun"; then I don't know how else to help you, man. I'm recommending you shift your perspective. If you can't or don't have fun just being part of the community, helping others finish their quests, trying out goofy loadouts for kicks, or running CRU and dominating other players, then too bad I guess. There's still plenty the game has to offer. Maybe you need to take a break until the next DLC.

And this business about INSISTING that you have a full compliment of blind raiders well after the release date is flat out BOGUS. You're asking and expecting something Bungie has no control over. The only way to ensure that is a blood pact with others that want the same thing.

This is why just telling someone to have fun playing the game is not helpful.

Maybe you should reread and try processing what I'm saying differently.

~M

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 21, 2018, 09:34 (2177 days ago) @ Malagate

And this business about INSISTING that you have a full compliment of blind raiders well after the release date is flat out BOGUS. You're asking and expecting something Bungie has no control over. The only way to ensure that is a blood pact with others that want the same thing.

Bungie has complete control over this in how they set up the progression to the raid.

I am not the only one who finds the progression system a step back here. Just look around other communities.

Yes, that's it. Talk past 90% of the response.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, May 21, 2018, 09:37 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Yes, that's it. Talk past 90% of the response.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 21, 2018, 09:38 (2177 days ago) @ Malagate

We don't see eye to eye. Why bother? It'll go nowhere considering you think my call for more inclusion is somehow condescending. Literally all I'm advocating are a good variety of varying light levels on all activities.

One of us is making an effort. The other complains nonstop.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, May 21, 2018, 09:40 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"It'll go nowhere considering you think my call for more inclusion is somehow condescending."

Not at all, Cody. You're intelligent enough to understand what I mean; and now you're just being disingenuous. But paint me as the obstinate one all you want. I've only been offering you alternatives to your own frustration.

You're being condescending, period. You're hardly calling for inclusion, you're draping yourself in that defensively. This whole time you've been arguing for your specific druthers; there's not an ounce of what you've argued that hasn't been selfishly motivated.

"Literally all I'm advocating are a good variety of varying light levels on all activities."

And still you choose to ignore any arguments to the contrary that illustrate why this isn't happening.

~M

Why don't you go ahead and try the Raid?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, May 21, 2018, 08:48 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

350 against 370 is about the same power gap we had on Crota's End and you have clearly stated that the grind back then possibly wasn't as bad as now.

Nuumie, for example, was 345 on our blind run and was both killing a lot more and dying a lot less than most of us, at least on the first encounter.

by Harmanimus @, Monday, May 21, 2018, 09:04 (2177 days ago) @ ZackDark

This is such a useful comment in this context.

In my experience I’ve pretty much always been underleveled for Raiding relative to the folk I have raided with. But thankfully Raiding in Destiny has a much higher weight to player skill and dexterity than other games with similar end game content.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 21, 2018, 09:31 (2177 days ago) @ Harmanimus

This is such a useful comment in this context.

In my experience I’ve pretty much always been underleveled for Raiding relative to the folk I have raided with. But thankfully Raiding in Destiny has a much higher weight to player skill and dexterity than other games with similar end game content.

If they changed it then that's great.

Previous raids had a light level, but the monsters at the end were always 2 (or 20 after TTK) levels higher. So if you went in at the level requirement, it was hard at the end. With a system like that, going in 20 levels under the requirement would mean 'immune' would come up for the final enemies. If 370 is the level of all the enemies, then that's not so bad.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 21, 2018, 09:24 (2177 days ago) @ ZackDark

350 against 370 is about the same power gap we had on Crota's End and you have clearly stated that the grind back then possibly wasn't as bad as now.

Nuumie, for example, was 345 on our blind run and was both killing a lot more and dying a lot less than most of us, at least on the first encounter.

Hmm. Is it completable though? 30s couldn't really beat Crota. The world first had to level someone to 31, then sub him in to do the sword. I guess I want to know if we can actually complete the raid at 350? If so, then maybe it's not so bad.

MUST you complete it in one go?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, May 21, 2018, 10:34 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Hmm. Is it completable though? 30s couldn't really beat Crota. The world first had to level someone to 31, then sub him in to do the sword. I guess I want to know if we can actually complete the raid at 350? If so, then maybe it's not so bad.

I would guess probably not all the way to completion, but you'll surely level up trying to beat it, especially if you take a while (as in, multiple days) to figure it all out.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 21, 2018, 10:35 (2177 days ago) @ ZackDark

I would guess probably not all the way to completion, but you'll surely level up trying to beat it, especially if you take a while (as in, multiple days) to figure it all out.

I think there's zero chance we'd do it all in one go.

Problem solved. Have fun!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, May 21, 2018, 10:40 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Let's exchange strats once you're done

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, May 21, 2018, 10:50 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Must you actually beat the boss the first week you try it? For me the answer is no. I'd like to figure out how to beat the boss. That's the fun of a blind raid.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 21, 2018, 11:02 (2177 days ago) @ Kermit

Must you actually beat the boss the first week you try it? For me the answer is no. I'd like to figure out how to beat the boss. That's the fun of a blind raid.

Yeah exactly.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, May 21, 2018, 11:05 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah exactly.

You can figure out how to beat him without beating him. For the most part, once you see progress changing on the health bar, it doesn't matter if you can't get it all the way down. You've figured it out.

by squidnh3, Friday, May 18, 2018, 09:57 (2180 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Some people think I'm nuts, but to me being underleveled is half the fun of a blind raid. Being underleveled forces you to really learn the ins and outs of the encounter, and actually optimize your actions. I hate how easy the story missions and strikes have been, it was awesome to do heroic stikes this week and actually struggle a bit.

It's also been great to have so many people online these past 2 weeks.

half the fun?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, May 18, 2018, 11:32 (2180 days ago) @ squidnh3

- No text -

All #s approximate

by squidnh3, Friday, May 18, 2018, 11:57 (2180 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 20, 2018, 22:32 (2177 days ago) @ squidnh3

Some people think I'm nuts, but to me being underleveled is half the fun of a blind raid. Being underleveled forces you to really learn the ins and outs of the encounter, and actually optimize your actions. I hate how easy the story missions and strikes have been, it was awesome to do heroic stikes this week and actually struggle a bit.

What you are describing is difficulty. I myself prefer challenge. There's a place for both, but difficulty has long since been selectable in video games for a really good reason. And yes, there is a bit of crossover. Sometimes upping the difficulty will up the challenge as well, but not usually.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, May 21, 2018, 07:57 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What you are describing is difficulty. I myself prefer challenge. There's a place for both, but difficulty has long since been selectable in video games for a really good reason. And yes, there is a bit of crossover. Sometimes upping the difficulty will up the challenge as well, but not usually.

He is actually describing both. Something is a challenge because it is difficult. Difficulty can come from multiple things as well as the combination of things. For the raid, the combination of difficult bad guys with the difficulty of the raid mechanics makes it really difficult and thus a hard challenge.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 27, 2018, 09:51 (2171 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I'm sorry, what? Everyone loved Taken King.

Frak. Yusss.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 07:37 (2181 days ago) @ CyberKN

Design Lead Derek Carroll:
I can already hear you asking “What is Crucible Labs?” and I’m glad you want to know more. Update 1.2.1 will include a new feature intended to give you a peek behind the scenes and a louder voice in our creative process. Crucible Labs will give every player of Destiny 2 access to experimental PvP content. We’ll then have a chance to solicit your feedback to guide our final iterations. You'll learn more about Labs before launch. For today, with it making an appearance on the Roadmap, I wanted to give you a preview of our goals. More to come on this soon.

So pleasantly surprised to see this.

Although there's loads of valid flak being thrown up about current and past handling of D2 (and the LORE); the gameplay and exotics tweaks have fully got me back on the wagon, playing daily. I'm more excited about CRU Labs than probably anything in D2.

Hopefully this shortens the concept-->test-->implementation cycle; as myself and others have had concerns about for some time.

~M

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread