Spire of Stars Raid Lair - Initial Thoughts *NO SP* (Destiny)

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 06:26 (2181 days ago)

So far so good! I'm really enjoying the idea of exploring different sections of the Leviathan via the Lairs. The aesthetic is great, familiar but still new. The encounters have been a ton of fun (we beat the 1st and think we've figured out the 2nd). They are definitely challenging, Raid worthy encounters (we played about 3 1/2 hours last night).

I can't wait to hop back into with fresh eyes/mind!

Question on drops *No SP*

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 06:30 (2181 days ago) @ breitzen

I've read elsewhere that hunters are not receiving drops after the first encounter. Can you confirm that?

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 06:48 (2181 days ago) @ bluerunner

I've read elsewhere that hunters are not receiving drops after the first encounter. Can you confirm that?

I think everyone in our group got engrams to drop, but not specific weapons/gear. Speed or Xenos?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 06:53 (2181 days ago) @ breitzen

I think everyone in our group got engrams to drop, but not specific weapons/gear. Speed or Xenos?

Yeah just two powerful engrams, one from first encounter chest and one from a hidden chest.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 06:53 (2181 days ago) @ Xenos

Yeah just two powerful engrams, one from first encounter chest and one from a hidden chest.

Same.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 07:03 (2181 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Ok, thanks. I was taking it with grain of salt, but wanted to make sure since I plan on running my hunter tonight.

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 15:22 (2181 days ago) @ bluerunner

I played the new Lair last night as well (different group from Xenos and Speed), I played a Hunter, we passed the first encounter, got loot chest and also one of the bonus chest after.
I got engrams only, no weapons or gear specific to the new encounter.

There were 2 or 3 other hunters in the group, not sure what their drops were.

Not sure if I should be worried or not.
It was just the 1st encounter (+ bonus chest that I dont think anyone got gear from) so maybe its 'normal' not to always get Raid/Lair specific gear and weapons every time from every chest

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, May 18, 2018, 11:26 (2180 days ago) @ Dame117

I played the new Lair last night as well (different group from Xenos and Speed), I played a Hunter, we passed the first encounter, got loot chest and also one of the bonus chest after.
I got engrams only, no weapons or gear specific to the new encounter.

There were 2 or 3 other hunters in the group, not sure what their drops were.

Not sure if I should be worried or not.
It was just the 1st encounter (+ bonus chest that I dont think anyone got gear from) so maybe its 'normal' not to always get Raid/Lair specific gear and weapons every time from every chest

Yeah, we both got just purple engrams (although they were "at power level") from those first drops. (But it seemed like the Titans and Warlocks also just got those powerful engrams, no gear drops). I got my first raid lair-specific gear drop [the fusion rifle] from our completing the second encounter last night.

Any advice on loadouts?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 08:06 (2181 days ago) @ breitzen

Hunter in particular, speaking for myself. I'd like to make some informed infusion decisions (while preserving my blind state :)).

Advice on load outs

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Thursday, May 17, 2018, 08:42 (2181 days ago) @ Kermit

Because of their raid-specific perks, definitely use the raid gauntlets and raid class item (with an element selected that matches your subclass). I'd recommend the raid boots as well, unless you're a nightstalker (in which case wear Orpheus Rig). Helmet and chest piece as desired, since those raid perks are less useful. Helmet or chest is a good place for an exotic.

For weapons, keep it simple when blind - go in with your favorite legendary gear that you're most comfortable with. You don't want to be fighting a gun you hate using just because it's one point higher, and you probably already have your favorites infused as high as they will go. Bring some elemental weapon mods and glimmer; you might want to change those once you see what elemental shields are in use.

As for exotics, the season 3 meta is still a work in progress. Personally I went in blind with the following exotics in my inventory just in case (of course you can only equip one).

• Sweet Business (pairs well with Actium War Rig for Titans)
  • Crimson
  • Graviton Lance
  • Skyburner's Oath
  • Sunshot
  • Tractor Cannon (paired with a void energy weapon/subclass)
  • Legend of Acrius
  • D.A.R.C.I. (masterworked for stability)

All of these are gathering attention in Season 3 as being powerful tools

Any advice on loadouts?

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 08:46 (2181 days ago) @ Kermit

Hunter in particular, speaking for myself. I'd like to make some informed infusion decisions (while preserving my blind state :)).

It really depends on your role. Raga keeps praising Crimson for its health reg, which I absolutely agree with.

I could literally make an argument for any kinetic/elemental in the game. So props to the designers there.

So far shotguns have been great.

Any advice on loadouts?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 08:52 (2181 days ago) @ Kermit

The new exotic Hunter helmet that gives health regeneration on dodge saved my ass at least three times last night. That perk is great.

Any advice on loadouts?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 09:00 (2181 days ago) @ Kermit

In a general sense skyburners oath is amazing cause of the extra damage. Though the one downfall with it is that it goes through ammo really fast and there are some encounters that could last a while so be prepared to pair it with a gun that is reliable in that department.

Any advice on loadouts?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 17, 2018, 12:17 (2181 days ago) @ Kermit

Bring whatever you're comfortable with. Light level is probably going to chew you guys up (it did me :p), but reliably doing damage and staying alive trumps missing shots and having the wrong stats every day of the week.

What seemed most effective last night for me

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, May 18, 2018, 11:43 (2180 days ago) @ Kermit

Nameless midnight (of course!)
Sunshot
Sins of the Past

I ran celestial nighthawk. Used it for yellow bars exclusively.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, May 18, 2018, 12:59 (2180 days ago) @ Kermit

Skyburner's was doing great in that second encounter. Hipfire is great when you're shooting while running for your life.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, May 21, 2018, 10:27 (2177 days ago) @ bluerunner

Skyburner's was doing great in that second encounter. Hipfire is great when you're shooting while running for your life.

Skyburners + raid gear boots(?) (the one that gives 20% elemental damage with element kill) makes it dominate if you just keep killing.

Yeah, raid armor all the way ....

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, May 21, 2018, 10:32 (2177 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

save one exotic.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread