Marty posts long video of Steve Vai in studio for Halo 2: (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, August 25, 2018, 21:37 (2091 days ago)
edited by cheapLEY, Saturday, August 25, 2018, 21:41

This is awesome. I hope he keeps posting any stuff like this he has around.

I'd love to know more about the Incubus stuff that's in the game and on that soundtrack.

Marty posts long video of Steve Vai in studio for Halo 2:

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Sunday, August 26, 2018, 15:58 (2090 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'd love to know more about the Incubus stuff that's in the game and on that soundtrack.

This is so freakin' cool!

Thanks for sharing it with the fans, Marty!

So good!

by ncsuDuncan @, Monday, August 27, 2018, 11:44 (2089 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I doubt there's anything as cool as this Steve Vai video, but as an Incubus fan I'd still love seeing any footage related to their collaboration on the soundtrack.

That, and John Mayer playing the guitar parts in Epilogue. :)

8:45 onward is just... Magical.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, August 27, 2018, 15:07 (2089 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The Golem 2 soundtrack is going to be rad.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, August 27, 2018, 15:59 (2089 days ago) @ CyberKN

That is such an incredible piece of music. I can’t hear it without fighting the urge to leap out of my chair with enthusiasm. And Steve Vai, man... I’ve never been much of a “fan” of his music, but there’s no denying his talent when you see a video like this. I don’t mean his technical chops (which are INSANE), but his ability to slip right into the vibe and tone of whatever music he’s hearing, and add to it in a meaningful way WITHOUT stepping all over it. Great musical instincts.

I’m embarrassed to say I spent a solid minute asking myself “wait, did Golem already come out? How did I miss it?!”. I got the joke eventually, lol

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, August 27, 2018, 16:47 (2089 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That is such an incredible piece of music. I can’t hear it without fighting the urge to leap out of my chair with enthusiasm. And Steve Vai, man... I’ve never been much of a “fan” of his music, but there’s no denying his talent when you see a video like this. I don’t mean his technical chops (which are INSANE), but his ability to slip right into the vibe and tone of whatever music he’s hearing, and add to it in a meaningful way WITHOUT stepping all over it. Great musical instincts.

I know! That was the craziest part of this video for me; He starts playing a few improvised riffs with the OG theme in the background, and it sounds EXACTLY like what I remember the final product being- like it was sampled from this video.

I’m embarrassed to say I spent a solid minute asking myself “wait, did Golem already come out? How did I miss it?!”. I got the joke eventually, lol

Marty! When's Golem coming out?!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, August 27, 2018, 17:14 (2089 days ago) @ CyberKN

I know! That was the craziest part of this video for me; He starts playing a few improvised riffs with the OG theme in the background, and it sounds EXACTLY like what I remember the final product being- like it was sampled from this video.

I can’t say for certain, but I’m pretty sure portions of that first take actually we’re used in the final mix. There’s a good chance they were recording his guitar the entire time, and stitched together the final “take” using various bits and pieces of the session. So cool to watch it happen :)

by Robot Chickens, Monday, August 27, 2018, 18:26 (2089 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I can’t say for certain, but I’m pretty sure portions of that first take actually we’re used in the final mix. There’s a good chance they were recording his guitar the entire time, and stitched together the final “take” using various bits and pieces of the session. So cool to watch it happen :)

This was my sense from the video. I could hear pieces throughout, but that opening from the first take over the intro is exactly as it appears on the track.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, August 27, 2018, 21:09 (2089 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, August 27, 2018, 21:20 (2089 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

This is why I am dissapointed whenever someone says games / film is a visual medium. Sound is half the experience. Look how that one riff took you back. I was transported to when I first fired up the game at midnight and played co-op till 830am. Still made my 9am class!

But there were all sorts of tangential non specific feelings I can’t put to words. Powerful after all this time.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, August 27, 2018, 21:13 (2089 days ago) @ CyberKN
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, August 27, 2018, 21:17

We need a Golem 1 first dude :-p

By the time we see 1, VR might evolve into head jacking Matrix style!

what might have been...

by MartyTheElder, Monday, August 27, 2018, 22:17 (2089 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Just for you folks.

Worked late tonight on Golem with Jaime.

Soon.

I still remember the “bug” sent to me (through Harold Ryan) that read -
Problem: Halo2 music - too much whammy
Solution: Turn down the whammy

I sent it back: Won’t fix (fire that tester)

I also told Harold “Never send me another aesthetic bug.”

True story

<3

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, August 27, 2018, 23:21 (2089 days ago) @ MartyTheElder

- No text -

what might have been...

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 07:32 (2088 days ago) @ MartyTheElder

Just for you folks.

Worked late tonight on Golem with Jaime.

Soon.

Nice! Looking forward to it. See you at the PAX panel on Saturday.

I still remember the “bug” sent to me (through Harold Ryan) that read -
Problem: Halo2 music - too much whammy
Solution: Turn down the whammy

I sent it back: Won’t fix (fire that tester)

I also told Harold “Never send me another aesthetic bug.”

True story

Heh, that's great.

Best anecdote ever.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 07:36 (2088 days ago) @ MartyTheElder

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread