Beyond Launch ViDoc (Your first glimpse of the Season Pass). (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 11:24 (2088 days ago)

What they've shown of the season pass is disappointing considering the hefty price of admission, but hopefully each of the three drops is meatier than it appears...
Beyond Launch

PS: The meatiest spoiler in the game...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 11:27 (2088 days ago) @ Korny

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 11:35 (2088 days ago) @ Korny

THUDA _ LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRD!*

*I'm not saying that's what it is, but... THUNDA!

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, August 29, 2018, 01:38 (2087 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Only three MGs had that sort of conduit-cabling in D1, iirc

Beyond Launch ViDoc (Your first glimpse of the Season Pass).

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 11:27 (2088 days ago) @ Korny

What they've shown of the season pass is disappointing considering the hefty price of admission, but hopefully each of the three drops is meatier than it appears...
Beyond Launch

I'm excited for the heavy machine guns.

I think the only way I could possibly be disappointed is if they don't bring back Festival of the Lost.

FoL confirmed in the roadmap. Jubilation!

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 11:50 (2088 days ago) @ Malagate

- No text -

Did you see it?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 11:34 (2088 days ago) @ Korny

[image]

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 12:04 (2088 days ago) @ Korny

How is Black Armory not pay to win?

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 12:12 (2088 days ago) @ Cody Miller

How is Black Armory not pay to win?

Seriously?!

The same way that Forsaken won't be pay to win by giving you a way to get Malfeasance or Two-Tailed Fox.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 12:15 (2088 days ago) @ Speedracer513

The same way that Forsaken won't be pay to win by giving you a way to get Malfeasance or Two-Tailed Fox.

Can you play a PvP match in Forsaken with someone who does not have the expansion?

That's the difference.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 12:18 (2088 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Can you play a PvP match in Forsaken with someone who does not have the expansion?

That's the difference.

I'm confused... do you think that you can't play a PvP match in Forsaken with someone who does not have the expansion?

Because you can.

All PvP maps and modes have always* been open to all D2 players regardless of expansion ownership status.

* Since Warmind

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 12:22 (2088 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I'm confused... do you think that you can't play a PvP match in Forsaken with someone who does not have the expansion?

Because you can.

I did not know that!

So what does it do when you encounter someone using a Forsaken weapon or subclass and you don't have Forsaken?

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 12:22 (2088 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Because you can.

I did not know that!

So what does it do when you encounter someone using a Forsaken weapon or subclass and you don't have Forsaken?

The same thing that happens now if you don't have any expansions and someone else you're matched with does.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 12:24 (2088 days ago) @ Malagate

The same thing that happens now if you don't have any expansions and someone else you're matched with does.

Which is what? That's why I asked the question. I do not know.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 14:22 (2088 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Which is what? That's why I asked the question. I do not know.

everyone has the content on their drive, just not everyone can use it.

everyone has to be running the same version of the software.

they can see you wearing and using gear that is locked for them

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 12:24 (2088 days ago) @ Malagate

Because you can.

I did not know that!

Yeah. You die. Just like you would have if they were using Graviton Lance.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 12:24 (2088 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What do you mean by “what does it do?”

Technically every player has Forsaken on their hard drive. That’s what the giant patch is. You just can’t use guns from Forsaken if you don’t buy it, presumably.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 12:26 (2088 days ago) @ Speedracer513

All PvP maps and modes have always* been open to all D2 players regardless of expansion ownership status.

* Since Warmind

This is false.
Crucible maps/modes have only been available to all D2 owners post-Warmind.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 12:27 (2088 days ago) @ Korny

All PvP maps and modes have always been open to all D2 players regardless of expansion ownership status.

This is false.

Didn't you see the little asterisk in my post? ;-)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 12:30 (2088 days ago) @ Speedracer513

All PvP maps and modes have always been open to all D2 players regardless of expansion ownership status.

This is false.

Didn't you see the little asterisk in my post? ;-)

All I see now is your misunderstanding of the word "always". ;)

Somebody get Speed a harp, cuz he's a Lyre!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 12:19 (2088 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes.

Warmind is pay to win b/c EP weapons.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 12:16 (2088 days ago) @ Speedracer513

[image]

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 12:25 (2088 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Are you under the impression that Black Armory is literally just a group of weapons that you pay money for, and then get right away once you have paid? Like the Vanguard Armory thing, except as a separate purchase rather than a pre-order bonus? Because that's the only way this post makes sense to me.

I'm pretty sure, from what little was shown anyway, that it's just a small expansion/DLC/whatever, akin to CoO or Warmind, in which the story is you discovering the Black Armory. There probably WILL be new guns, but only in the same way that there were new guns in CoO or Warmind.

New weapons for money isn't even what Pay to Win is

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 12:40 (2088 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Nevermind the fact that even in D1 you could match with people that had weapons from the expansions even if you didn't have them, the concept of pay to win is not getting new gear or weapons for money, it's getting an actual quantifiable advantage against players who didn't pay. If you play in Quickplay against someone who has the expansion when you don't their guns and armor are still balanced against your guns and armor. It's still a level playing field.

The actual examples of pay to win are stuff like the weapons you get in an expansion are actually more powerful than the previous guns. The worst pay to win games even let you buy stuff like damage buffs for money.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 12:47 (2088 days ago) @ Xenos

All makes sense.

But that goes against the selling point does it not? If the Black Armory weapons aren’t ‘better’ why pay for them? Just a silly idea in general.

I love the idea of Penumbra though: a return to where secrets were secret and it’s up to you and your friends to find them.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 12:50 (2088 days ago) @ Cody Miller

All makes sense.

But that goes against the selling point does it not? If the Black Armory weapons aren’t ‘better’ why pay for them? Just a silly idea in general.

We're not going to be paying for just the weapons, it's activities, and story events, and a new raid lair. Plus this is how Destiny has always been. New guns, no matter how powerful they say they are in game or in the marketing (marketing for pretty much every new expansion has including a phrase similar to 'powerful new rewards') are still balanced against all other guns in the game. I'm sure the Black Armory guns will probably have some new perks and some new concepts but they are at least trying to keep a balanced game so they will never be purposefully more powerful than old guns.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 13:01 (2088 days ago) @ Cody Miller

All makes sense.

I love the idea of Penumbra though: a return to where secrets were secret and it’s up to you and your friends Reddit to find them on Day 1.

FTFY

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 13:10 (2088 days ago) @ Claude Errera

All makes sense.

I love the idea of Penumbra though: a return to where secrets were secret and it’s up to you and your friends Reddit to find them on Day 1.

FTFY

I 10,000% guarantee you that Penumbra is the direct result of the talk that they had with the Streamers.
The whole thing sounds like it was made with the phrase "our viewers" being heavily repeated by the streamers...

But like all things, any trickled-out secret will be discovered and solved within a day or two, and the streamers will make ten bloated videos about it anyway before they go back to nagging about a lack of content.

PS, watch for the coming videos from PvP streamers who can no longer milk Trials runs.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 13:32 (2088 days ago) @ Claude Errera

All makes sense.

FTFY

You’re just sad that reddit finds all the secrets now and not HBO… :-p

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 14:48 (2088 days ago) @ Cody Miller

All makes sense.

FTFY

You’re just sad that reddit finds all the secrets now and not HBO… :-p

Well, duh.

DBO still gets secrets

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 17:29 (2088 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Pyromancy, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 18:21

Well there's this:
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=147370

And most importantly, this:
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=152243

And then there is this great tidbit recently:
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=154612
(Mind you, that's even after some mild mannered ribbing/disrespect)

Who has ears to hear?

What we choose to do with these secrets is another thing

Lol

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 15:03 (2088 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Which version do I preorder?

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 16:04 (2088 days ago) @ Korny

Guys, should I get the annual pass and forsaken, or just forsaken? Someone tell me what to do.

Which version do I preorder?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 17:00 (2088 days ago) @ Funkmon

Guys, should I get the annual pass and forsaken, or just forsaken? Someone tell me what to do.

Are you positive you are going to get the annual pass in the future? If so save $5 and get the bundle. Otherwise wait and pay $35 when you decide.

They didn't actually tell us anything.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 17:44 (2088 days ago) @ Korny

The Forsaken stuff sounds cool. But they didn't tell us anything about the annual pass still. Okay, we'll be chasing cool weapons in Black Armory. That's different from the rest of the game how?

As I said in our conversation the other night, I think there's lots of potential there, if they really focus on making repeatable things to do that are actually fun, but I didn't get any indication of what the annual pass will actually get me, still.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 18:07 (2088 days ago) @ cheapLEY

When have they ever done that though? In D1 we didn't hear much of anything about The Dark Below or House of Wolves until they were close. In D2 we didn't hear anything about Curse of Osiris or Warmind until they were close.

My hope is that the main difference between something like Warmind and something like Black Armory is that one had a new Destination while the other doesn't. It looks like we'll be getting new story, new weapons, new multiplayer maps, new Crucible modes, new Tower events, and new Raid Lairs with these next three DLCs. I'd be fine with that as long as the current eight Destinations see enough changes to make me want to keep playing.

What I don't want is storyless expansions that just add harder challenges that I need to build 6+ man teams to defeat. EP is not really my favorite thing in Destiny... and not even because it takes lucking into a big group who wants to beat it. More... it's either too hard and I fail to get anything, or I do join up with a big group and it is too easy and I get rewards without really even having to play.

I think the Solstice of Heroes was a better model where there were achievable goals that kept me playing variations on encounters that were a bit harder but not so much so that they started bordering on that impossibe ----> too easy divide.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 18:29 (2088 days ago) @ Ragashingo

When have they ever done that though? In D1 we didn't hear much of anything about The Dark Below or House of Wolves until they were close. In D2 we didn't hear anything about Curse of Osiris or Warmind until they were close.

The difference is one of expectations. We have four years of Destiny behind us now. We know what a Destiny expansion looks like, we have a sort of baseline of what we’ll get: new story missions, new gear, some new strikes, a new raid. Except now they’ve said “we’re doing something different this time around.” Only they haven’t told us what we’ll actually be getting. That’s fine, but it’s at least a little busted that they haven’t told us anything but also totally went ahead and let people give them forty dollars for it with no information.

I already spent the money, so I know my argument is a little hollow. I have enough faith that they’ll deliver something enjoyable, and I’m invested enough in Destiny to pony up the cash sight unseen. I’d also buy it even if everyone said it was terrible. What an I going to do, not play new Destiny content? I don’t think so!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread