So . . . weapon slot changes. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 19:36 (2088 days ago)

I love it.

Running the IKELOS shotgun and Whisper of the Worm feels like cheating. Just having a shotgun back in the secondary slot feels so right.

Forsaken is going to have to really bring it with the weapons for me to give up the IKELOS shotgun.

So . . . weapon slot changes.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 19:55 (2088 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I am curious to know how fusion rifles are gonna work in PvP now…

by squidnh3, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 20:45 (2088 days ago) @ Cody Miller

They work well, but so does everything else. It's a whole new world, I saw tons of different load outs tonight, even in competitive. Lots of different classes and subclasses too. Personally I was running Mida+Zenith shotgun, but I also had some success with handcannon+sniper. Golden gun is also back.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 20:14 (2088 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It's obviously super early at this point, but so far I'm equal parts thrilled about it and also somewhat confused.

I absolutely love this system in terms of how it changes moment to moment gameplay. I was running around Mars using the Winter Wolf, EP Shotgun and Sleeper at the same time, and it was a blast. I finally felt like I was getting close to my D1 guardian in terms of power, effectiveness, and flexibility. I ran strikes for a while using Whisper and some random Grenade Launcher. Super fun, and such a different experience than I've been able to have up till now in D2.

On the flip side, I find the implementation of this system thoroughly confusing. Between the different slots, ammo types, and weapon archetypes, I'm having a really tough time getting my intuitions to adjust. Why does Perfect Paradox use Primary ammo even though its a shotgun? I know it now sits in the primary weapon slot, but ammo type and weapon slot are no longer tied to each other (for example, there are plenty of weapons that sit in the secondary slot, but use Primary ammo). It also doesn't seem to be based on the lack of elemental damage, as that isn't tied to ammo type either (Graviton Lance does void damage, but uses primary ammo, and sits in the secondary weapon slot).

The more I try to figure out the reasoning behind this system, the more it starts to look to me like Bungie may have made all of these decisions on a weapon-by-weapon basis. There are definitely some general rules. I haven't found any Kinetic weapons that use special ammo or heavy, for example. But then there also seem to be exceptions, where they've just chosen the slot and ammo type that seems to make the most sense for that gun. Total conjecture on my part, obviously.

So yeah... I'm puzzled and a little overwhelmed by trying to navigate the new system. But when it comes to actually using these combinations of weapons together, I totally love it.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 20:23 (2088 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That's weird. I thought shotguns were all using special ammo. I haven't played around with it too much, though. Maybe it's a bug? Maybe it's intentional, I don't know.

It'd be a little unfortunate if there's not clear rules, but the gun card also prominently displays the ammo type it uses, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

My biggest adjustment is in remember to not hold "Y" to switch to my shotgun. I kept pulling out Whisper when I wanted my shotgun.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 20:27 (2088 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That's weird. I thought shotguns were all using special ammo. I haven't played around with it too much, though. Maybe it's a bug? Maybe it's intentional, I don't know.

It'd be a little unfortunate if there's not clear rules, but the gun card also prominently displays the ammo type it uses, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Yeah as confused as I get while staring at it, I also can’t really come up with a reason why it matters. It’s like “here’s a gun, here’s the slot it goes in, here’s the amp it uses. End of story.”

My biggest adjustment is in remember to not hold "Y" to switch to my shotgun. I kept pulling out Whisper when I wanted my shotgun.

Me too, lol. I made things worse by using Sleeper with the EP shotgun. They look similar enough that half the time I was firing before I noticed I’d equipped the wrong one!

Perfect Paradox uses Special Ammo

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 22:45 (2087 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

On the flip side, I find the implementation of this system thoroughly confusing. Between the different slots, ammo types, and weapon archetypes, I'm having a really tough time getting my intuitions to adjust. Why does Perfect Paradox use Primary ammo even though its a shotgun?

It doesn't. It uses Special ammo. I even tested it, white bricks do not fill it with ammo.

[image]

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, August 29, 2018, 05:27 (2087 days ago) @ Xenos

On the flip side, I find the implementation of this system thoroughly confusing. Between the different slots, ammo types, and weapon archetypes, I'm having a really tough time getting my intuitions to adjust. Why does Perfect Paradox use Primary ammo even though its a shotgun?

It doesn't. It uses Special ammo. I even tested it, white bricks do not fill it with ammo.

[image]

Huh, my bad. Thanks for the correction :)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, August 29, 2018, 09:35 (2087 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

[image]

Huh, my bad. Thanks for the correction :)

I'll take the blame for giving you that wrong idea.

HOWEVER; Fighting Lion does use Primary ammo, so it's still safely a funky outlier from other weapons of its type.

I'll echo what's been said elsewhere in this thread, though. Heavies begin to feel like a huge liability when deliberately trying to snag the drop, and you don't get much ammo from them. Maybe I'll feel differently when HMG's drop, but purples don't really feel worth it anymore.

That said, I love the game at mid-and-close ranges now. Lots of fusion and shotguns at play. I did notice a distinct lack of scout rifle standoff battles, and autorifles were nonexistent. I see where bows will fit in nicely, but in general I'm still really not sure I'm feeling the way the flow of PvP combat has changed.

by TheeChaos @, Wednesday, August 29, 2018, 06:08 (2087 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It's obviously super early at this point, but so far I'm equal parts thrilled about it and also somewhat confused.

I finally felt like I was getting close to my D1 guardian in terms of power, effectiveness, and flexibility. I ran strikes for a while using Whisper and some random Grenade Launcher. Super fun, and such a different experience than I've been able to have up till now in D2.

This gives me hope. I may have to hop on tonight..

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 22:48 (2087 days ago) @ cheapLEY

In Crucible... I did well, but wasn't at all thrilled about it. For the first few matches about all I said over chat was "Oh look! I have a heavy!" as I melted people with Telesto over and over again. Later into the night people started figuring it out and I occasionally got melted or shotgunned. But that's about it. Primary battles were almost not a thing. Even melee is almost gone. As more and more people figure it out, Destiny 2's Crucible will be about special weapons and only special weapons. And that sucks.

The new weapon slots also had a couple of big negatives:

1. My standard Crucible load out of a medium to long range Pulse or Scout rifle + a Sidearm + Fusion Rifle is now impossible as far as I can tell. All Fusion Rifles take the slot of my Sidearm. So... I'm not thrilled about that.

2. I really really feel like the Power Weapon slot is almost a useless after thought now. I mean... why should I bother even glancing at the Heavy Ammo when I already have a Telesto and most enemies will drop me more ammo just by using my Telesto on them? Rockets are nowhere near as good as they were in the D1 days. Swords are a big risk now that everyone has either a Fusion Rifle or Shotgun pointed my way... and I can't snipe worth a damn. Before this update, hearing Shaxx laugh as I got heavy ammo was inspiring. Now... it's just a bad joke.

All in all, I liked Destiny 2's primary focused Crucible. But now that's gone. I can still compete but I will probably be playing PvP a whole lot less once everyone figures out that Special Weapons alone are the new meta.

Crucible feels like a shit show/mosh pit now.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, August 29, 2018, 07:27 (2087 days ago) @ Ragashingo

In Crucible... I did well, but wasn't at all thrilled about it. For the first few matches about all I said over chat was "Oh look! I have a heavy!" as I melted people with Telesto over and over again. Later into the night people started figuring it out and I occasionally got melted or shotgunned. But that's about it. Primary battles were almost not a thing. Even melee is almost gone. As more and more people figure it out, Destiny 2's Crucible will be about special weapons and only special weapons. And that sucks.

The new weapon slots also had a couple of big negatives:

1. My standard Crucible load out of a medium to long range Pulse or Scout rifle + a Sidearm + Fusion Rifle is now impossible as far as I can tell. All Fusion Rifles take the slot of my Sidearm. So... I'm not thrilled about that.

2. I really really feel like the Power Weapon slot is almost a useless after thought now. I mean... why should I bother even glancing at the Heavy Ammo when I already have a Telesto and most enemies will drop me more ammo just by using my Telesto on them? Rockets are nowhere near as good as they were in the D1 days. Swords are a big risk now that everyone has either a Fusion Rifle or Shotgun pointed my way... and I can't snipe worth a damn. Before this update, hearing Shaxx laugh as I got heavy ammo was inspiring. Now... it's just a bad joke.

All in all, I liked Destiny 2's primary focused Crucible. But now that's gone. I can still compete but I will probably be playing PvP a whole lot less once everyone figures out that Special Weapons alone are the new meta.

I agree. It was very very very very rare in Destiny 1 for me to play PVP and boy oh boy if this was what it was like I chose wisely. Regardless the mode, Shotguns & Fusion Rifles. Nothing is Crispy & everything is Dead. I'm really hoping the other half(?) of Forsaken fixes this, as I do want to try and get SOMETHING from Redrix.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, August 29, 2018, 11:03 (2087 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Titan Bubbles seemed overpowered last night, with all the fully-loaded shotguns hiding inside them.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, August 29, 2018, 10:55 (2087 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Forsaken is going to have to really bring it with the weapons for me to give up the IKELOS shotgun.

Forsaken is going to have to give me the IKELOS shotgun before it can make me give it up.

New DLC, who dis?

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, August 29, 2018, 11:00 (2087 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Really drastic shift in meta

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Thursday, August 30, 2018, 12:17 (2086 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I find it to be too jarring a shift in the meta. The meta was a much more passive, pulse rifle-y meta, where you didn't have to worry a lot about getting destroyed from any angle. Now everyone has ammo with the most powerful guns all the time. It's hyper aggressive.

I played a couple hours yesterday and found the only way to be successful was to shotgun and be aggressive. It's definitely not my preferred play style. I can kind of do it, but I don't enjoy it as I do it. Maybe that's weird, but it's how I feel.

I liked the idea of the slots changing because I want to snipe more, it's what I enjoy, but it's really hard to run snipers when across the board people are moving faster and playing more aggressively.

There are at least 2 other factors that I think will make this a shotgun meta, 1) the flow of getting a kill and then getting the ammo is very rewarding. When I would snipe someone, I was too far away to get the ammo frequently. It wasn't rewarding. Think it would be cooler if you were rewarded with ammo into your reserves for a kill rather than had to pick it up, and 2) Range is pretty long on some of those shotguns, too. I was getting slide-shotgunned from 15-20m away it felt like last night. This might make maxing out mobility on a hunter a viable crucible option, as you'll just be able to go too fast for a lot of opponents.

A rare BeardFade appears in the wild...

by Oholiab @, Thursday, August 30, 2018, 13:07 (2086 days ago) @ BeardFade

You’ve been missed!

Sad to say...

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Thursday, August 30, 2018, 21:32 (2086 days ago) @ Oholiab

After playing an hour tonight, I might be done again. The patch before this one was a meta I could enjoy the game a bit. I took my KA/D from 1.88 to 2.16 by diligently playing smarter and figuring out how to play as a hunter and make it work for me. I've played a handful of hours and already I'm down to 2.13. Haven't had a game over 2.0 yet, and feels like the match making got significantly worse, too. I'm pretty bummed to be honest.

Note.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, August 30, 2018, 22:14 (2086 days ago) @ BeardFade

After playing an hour tonight, I might be done again. The patch before this one was a meta I could enjoy the game a bit. I took my KA/D from 1.88 to 2.16 by diligently playing smarter and figuring out how to play as a hunter and make it work for me. I've played a handful of hours and already I'm down to 2.13. Haven't had a game over 2.0 yet, and feels like the match making got significantly worse, too. I'm pretty bummed to be honest.

Don't base everything on this week alone. Things are broken and incomplete.

[image]

TO Quote the THAB 8.30.18:

Pardon Our Dust
Since the Year 2 deployment on Tuesday, we’ve seen reports that matchmaking time in the Crucible may be taking longer than usual. While no deliberate changes to matchmaking were deployed in Update 2.0, we have been investigating this issue.

We are planning to deploy a fix that we hope will increase the speed of matchmaking queues. As our investigation continues, please stay tuned to @BungieHelp for updates on our progress.

Upon the launch of Forsaken, skill matching will work in the same manner it has in recent weeks (i.e., no skill-based matchmaking). In the near future, we will preview any planned improvements to matchmaking in Crucible Labs first, so we can tune that experience collaboratively. As always, our commitment remains to communicate all changes to the competitive ecosystem in advance right here on bungie.net.

Thanks for playing!

There is also the new weapons, exotics, and game modes/types to consider. Choose as you will, but honestly, this new meta hasn't even officially started yet.

I'm not buying the DLCs

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Friday, August 31, 2018, 14:20 (2085 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

So there's no new things for me to consider really. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Or a Sniper with Shoot-to-Loot.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, August 30, 2018, 13:11 (2086 days ago) @ BeardFade

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread