Whisper quest, post-patch (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, September 01, 2018, 12:53 (2084 days ago)

I ran the whisper of the Worm mission a couple times last night with an LFG group... we were doing Heroic runs, so everyone involved already knew there way through and we had a pretty good plan in place. I wasn't expecting much of a challenge, but I was sorely mistaken. Turns out that with the new ammo economy, Power ammo is tough to come by during the Whisper mission. To be more precise, after 2 complete runs through the mission, I hadn't seen a single brick of purple ammo. This makes the entire mission far more difficult, but especially the final boss room.

I thought I'd pass along a couple quick tips for anyone who might be looking to run the mission this weekend.

a) Loading straight into the Heroic mission from orbit causes you to start the mission with very little Power ammo (I only had 6 rounds in my Whisper, for example). However, you can get around this by flying down into a patrol zone, stocking up on Power ammo, then opening the director and launching the Whisper mission without going back to orbit. I just looked for an incoming Public Event flag to refill everything, then launched the mission.

b) By the time my group made it to the boss room, we had almost no power ammo left. Our plan was to use our power ammo early, in order to burn through the early combat rooms as quickly as possible, leaving us lots of time for the bosses. When we reached the bosses, we used what little Power ammo we had left, then switched to Polaris Lance (well 2 of us did... the 3rd used whatever scout rifle he had with him. But I would absolutely recommend Polaris Lance due to its ammo-replenishing and burning perks). From there, we used the same campy/long range strategy as we'd normally use, just using scout rifles instead of snipers. It worked out just fine. Definitely a bit slower than using Whispers to melt the bosses, but we still had plenty of time to spare. To give some specifics, we reached the boss room with about 9 minutes left, and finished the mission with about 2.5 minutes remaining.

Hope that's helpful for anyone looking to run this mission this weekend. I'll be around to help out as well, if anyone needs a teammate.

+1

by Robot Chickens, Saturday, September 01, 2018, 13:19 (2084 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Beorn and I never saw heavy drop either and it made the whole thing a ton more challenging.

Raids as well

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, September 04, 2018, 05:43 (2081 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

We tried the prestige mode Raid Friday. We were fairing well, but we kept running into Power Ammo issues when it came to Dog phase. Alot of wipes just to shoot for Power Ammo.

Maybe now they can put Synths back in

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, September 04, 2018, 09:52 (2081 days ago) @ TheeChaos

- No text -

+1

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, September 04, 2018, 12:26 (2081 days ago) @ Harmanimus

It would be nice for sure in the current state. My guess is the DPS we gained from having Snipers/Shotguns/Fusion Rifles back in Secondary SHOULD have offset the need for as much Power Ammo. Just doesn't play out that way.

Whisper Ammo Question

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, September 04, 2018, 07:15 (2081 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

b) By the time my group made it to the boss room, we had almost no power ammo left. Our plan was to use our power ammo early, in order to burn through the early combat rooms as quickly as possible, leaving us lots of time for the bosses. When we reached the bosses, we used what little Power ammo we had left, then switched to Polaris Lance (well 2 of us did... the 3rd used whatever scout rifle he had with him. But I would absolutely recommend Polaris Lance due to its ammo-replenishing and burning perks). From there, we used the same campy/long range strategy as we'd normally use, just using scout rifles instead of snipers. It worked out just fine. Definitely a bit slower than using Whispers to melt the bosses, but we still had plenty of time to spare. To give some specifics, we reached the boss room with about 9 minutes left, and finished the mission with about 2.5 minutes remaining.

Now that we also have more access to things like shotguns, fusion rifles, and snipers (that arn't Whisper); Why would the lack of Heavy be a problem? Theoretically*, one should be able to offset a lack of heavy with some formerly "Heavy" weapons, yes?

*Well there's yer problem!

Whisper Ammo Question

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, September 04, 2018, 07:52 (2081 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Now that we also have more access to things like shotguns, fusion rifles, and snipers (that arn't Whisper); Why would the lack of Heavy be a problem? Theoretically*, one should be able to offset a lack of heavy with some formerly "Heavy" weapons, yes?

*Well there's yer problem!

You’re absolutely right that the lack of heavy ammo can be offset by using special weapons, but the issue is that the Whisper Sniper Rifle specifically makes a world of difference in terms of clearing all the combat rooms, but especially the bosses. Particularly on the Heroic version of the mission, where surviving any of the combat encounters can be brutally tough.

Ultimately, 5 or 6 rockets over the course of the entire mission barely makes a dent, especially compared to what you could accomplish with a Whisper and a steady trickle of purple ammo drops.

Whisper Ammo Question

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, September 04, 2018, 13:10 (2081 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Ultimately, 5 or 6 rockets over the course of the entire mission barely makes a dent, especially compared to what you could accomplish with a Whisper and a steady trickle of purple ammo drops.

We should do a practice run with Borealis. Highest DPS for an Energy sniper by a long mile, and it should get plenty of ammo in a run (just pop the Wizard shields in the previous room, and reload with Rally/Lunafaction).

It's also available on XBox now!

For Whisper: level increases should eclipse heavy drought

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, September 04, 2018, 13:41 (2081 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

I now have multiple pieces of armor with Heavy boosts

by Claude Errera @, Friday, September 07, 2018, 18:53 (2078 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Not sure if they'll work the same in the Whisper quest as they did in, say, the Blood Cleaver hunt... but it's worth a shot.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, September 07, 2018, 19:20 (2078 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I don't know about in the Whisper quest, but that perks works incredibly well so far in general play. I never feel like I'm struggling to find heavy ammo.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, September 08, 2018, 06:33 (2077 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Not sure if they'll work the same in the Whisper quest as they did in, say, the Blood Cleaver hunt... but it's worth a shot.

Good thought... I’ll have to give that a try.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread