Forsaken: Expanding the universe of Destiny. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, September 04, 2018, 20:36 (2080 days ago)

There's no real spoilers in this post, but if you haven't started Forsaken and really want to be completely fresh, maybe skip it until you're a few hours in.

I'm not too far in yet. Still working on the first five bounties for The Spider.

I'm already very impressed, and if Forsaken continues like this, I'll be extremely pleased.

Forsaken already feels like it has done more to expand the Destiny universe than almost anything before it, along with making the universe feel more "real." The Spider has a large part to do with this, I think. He feels like a Star Wars character or something. The inclusion of what amounts to a gangster with a hit list, and the uneasy alliance between him and us and Petra (who is still awesome), feels like what I always wanted Destiny to be. This a universe with real characters, not just our Guardians killing nameless enemies. There is a huge world out there, beyond the Last City, real people doing real things, with their own goals. The few lore cards I've opened up about Uldren and the Crows help with that too (and that's a side I wish we actually had been able to see more. The animosity between Guardians and his Crows seems like it could have been a really cool thing to explore in game).

I don't know exactly what it is, what makes it feel so good, but in the few short hours I've spent with Forsaken, I've been enthralled with the world they're building, and that's the first time I've really been able to say that in a long time.

funkmon like

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 03:12 (2080 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Guns good. Grind good. Bad guys good.

I can't wait to absolutely waste Saturday collecting materials while listening to the Michigan game and eventually falling asleep on my living room floor.

Forsaken: Expanding the universe of Destiny.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 06:12 (2080 days ago) @ cheapLEY

i wasn't so pleased with spider. My playtime is limited, and I just wanted to play through the story. But after a couple of missions, i now have to grind materials in order to buy bounties to hunt down enemies in the EDZ before i can progress further.

I spent 45 mins last night in Trostland waiting for one of these SOBs to spawn. If i need to earn his trust, make me do an epic mission, quest or adventure with clear objectives (kinda like retrieving the eye of the gate lord in D1). Don't make me wander around patrol space

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 06:28 (2080 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Really? I wasn’t aware it worked like that. I spawned in and the guy I needed was just hanging out in front of the church.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 06:36 (2080 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Really? I wasn’t aware it worked like that. I spawned in and the guy I needed was just hanging out in front of the church.

It took me a little while to go in and out of the space but he eventually spawned. Trostland was the bounty that took me the longest for that reason.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 06:54 (2080 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Mine showed up pretty quickly, but I could see how it could be a problem. I wonder, if it spawns when you're behind the church and someone else kills it before you get there, does it not count for you if you didn't land shots on it? Perhaps that's what's happened for some of the folks who had to wait an extra long time?

Thankfully, all the others I've done so far were in lost sectors as the boss, so they spawned consistently.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 07:37 (2080 days ago) @ cheapLEY

For me, it was a named servitor, and it took forever for him to spawn. He finally showed up while i was soloing a Heroic Public event. I thought maybe that the public event was the trigger, but then when i killed him, it dropped the High Value Target chest, so I guess it's just a random spawn.

He spawned out of the building to the left of the church, where there's usually a fallen captain High Value target.

Wow, I've been assuming HVT spawns during PE was a given

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 09:31 (2080 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

For me, it was a named servitor, and it took forever for him to spawn. He finally showed up while i was soloing a Heroic Public event. I thought maybe that the public event was the trigger, but then when i killed him, it dropped the High Value Target chest, so I guess it's just a random spawn.

He spawned out of the building to the left of the church, where there's usually a fallen captain High Value target.

I swear every time a cabal excavation starts on Io that a cloaked minotaur HVT spawns towards the end. For the servitor in Trostland I only went there when there was a public event because I thought that's how these would spawn and that's how I got it.

Wow, I've been assuming HVT spawns during PE was a given

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 10:21 (2080 days ago) @ kidtsunami

That Minotaur is part of the Flashpoint. Most destinations get bonus bosses on PEs during their FP.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 07:45 (2080 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

i wasn't so pleased with spider. My playtime is limited, and I just wanted to play through the story. But after a couple of missions, i now have to grind materials in order to buy bounties to hunt down enemies in the EDZ before i can progress further.

Spider offers six bounties that don't cost materials (which I learned too late have a stack limit of 10) and can be done in the Tangled Shore. I knocked these out pretty quickly to move on with the story, but bought the "Kill Wanted: X" bounties to knock out later (and to use those materials so I could collect more).

I spent 45 mins last night in Trostland waiting for one of these SOBs to spawn. If i need to earn his trust, make me do an epic mission, quest or adventure with clear objectives (kinda like retrieving the eye of the gate lord in D1). Don't make me wander around patrol space

This one was pretty annoying. I probably spent twenty minutes dropping in, making a few laps around the church in my sparrow, then going to orbit and repeating the process before I finally saw that stupid Servitor.

-Disciple

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 07:47 (2080 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Spider offers six bounties that don't cost materials (which I learned too late have a stack limit of 10) and can be done in the Tangled Shore. I knocked these out pretty quickly to move on with the story, but bought the "Kill Wanted: X" bounties to knock out later (and to use those materials so I could collect more).

I you sure about that? Because when I played, I checked all of the bounties and the cheapest bounties cost 2 ghost shards a piece. It really wasn't that hard to get them, but I never saw any that were free.

They are Adventures

by TheeChaos @, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 07:49 (2080 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

The 6 Bounties required to progress the story are the Adventures in the Tangled Shore. You just have to activate and complete each Adventure to complete it. They range from 390-440 Light I believe.

They are Adventures

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 07:59 (2080 days ago) @ TheeChaos

The 6 Bounties required to progress the story are the Adventures in the Tangled Shore. You just have to activate and complete each Adventure to complete it. They range from 390-440 Light I believe.

The only adventures I know of in the tangled shore are the barons. We are talking about the bounties (PoE escapees) you have to do to get Spider's trust that happens before you start taking out the barons.

They are Adventures

by TheeChaos @, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 08:14 (2080 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

The only adventures I know of in the tangled shore are the barons. We are talking about the bounties (PoE escapees) you have to do to get Spider's trust that happens before you start taking out the barons.

OH! I understand. I did NOT have to do any WANTED Bounties to start hunting the Barons IIRC there are 2 types of Bounties.

The WANTED Bounties at the top of the Spiders List that cost the ghost fragments. You found these.

Below the WANTED Bounties are sets of regular Bounties (Create orbs of light, kill enemies, etc). These are the ones needed to gain his trust.

^ This

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 08:16 (2080 days ago) @ TheeChaos

- No text -

They are Adventures

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 08:23 (2080 days ago) @ TheeChaos

OH! I understand. I did NOT have to do any WANTED Bounties to start hunting the Barons IIRC there are 2 types of Bounties.

The WANTED Bounties at the top of the Spiders List that cost the ghost fragments. You found these.

Below the WANTED Bounties are sets of regular Bounties (Create orbs of light, kill enemies, etc). These are the ones needed to gain his trust.

Really? Are you sure they aren't both? Because that would explain why I was at 80% when I started the WANTED bounties and after finishing them I was done.

Any bounty works.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 08:39 (2080 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I didn’t even notice the “normal bounties,” so I did five Wanted bounties to gain his trust. Any bounty from him works.

I just grabbed the Wanted bounties, because I assumed that’s what was required. He literally talks about cleaning up after the prison break, so it felt pretty obvious. I just didn’t notice that the normal bounties below were different.

Any bounty works.

by TheeChaos @, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 09:18 (2080 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I didn’t even notice the “normal bounties,” so I did five Wanted bounties to gain his trust. Any bounty from him works.

I just grabbed the Wanted bounties, because I assumed that’s what was required. He literally talks about cleaning up after the prison break, so it felt pretty obvious. I just didn’t notice that the normal bounties below were different.

Good info! You are totally right that it makes sense with the dialogue given at the time, but i just checked the Milestone and figured I would snag them easy bounties. Glad to see both work though, history might tell us that they wouldn't.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 08:01 (2080 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I you sure about that? Because when I played, I checked all of the bounties and the cheapest bounties cost 2 ghost shards a piece. It really wasn't that hard to get them, but I never saw any that were free.

They might have cost glimmer or any of the mats I already had a ton of, but they didn't cost Ghost Fragments. It was stuff like "Kill # Fallen in [part of Tangled Shore where Spider's Hideout is]," "Get 20 Super Kills," and "Kill # Hive in the Jetsum of Saturn." I've only collected a total of 10 fragments and bought three bounties that cost 3 fragments and one that cost 1 fragment. I've only completed two of the "Kill Wanted: X" bounties, but have moved on to the next part of the story.

-Disciple

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 08:03 (2080 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

They might have cost glimmer or any of the mats I already had a ton of, but they didn't cost Ghost Fragments. It was stuff like "Kill # Fallen in [part of Tangled Shore where Spider's Hideout is]," "Get 20 Super Kills," and "Kill # Hive in the Jetsum of Saturn." I've only collected a total of 10 fragments and bought three bounties that cost 3 fragments and one that cost 1 fragment. I've only completed two of the "Kill Wanted: X" bounties, but have moved on to the next part of the story.

-Disciple

Oh, those bounties. I thought you were talking about the "WANTED: bounties" where you have to kill the Prison of Elder escapees. Yeah, those bounties are free :D

I was beginning to question my memory

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 08:17 (2080 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Oh, those bounties. I thought you were talking about the "WANTED: bounties" where you have to kill the Prison of Elder escapees. Yeah, those bounties are free :D

Glad to hear I'm not losing my mind :p

-Disciple

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 08:17 (2080 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

-Disciple

Yes, and those are the ones that you need to complete to progress the story (Blacktiger ran into similar confusion last night... it wasn’t made as clear as it could have been in-game).

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 08:26 (2080 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

-Disciple

Yes, and those are the ones that you need to complete to progress the story (Blacktiger ran into similar confusion last night... it wasn’t made as clear as it could have been in-game).

I assume the Wanted bounties will still work to meet Spider's requirements though, right? It's a lot more work, but if I wanted to go into hardcore roleplaying mode with one of my other Guardians and kill five escapees to show Spider I'm super-serious, it should still work since the requirement doesn't specify a type of bounty.

-Disciple

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 08:40 (2080 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Yes, the Wanted bounties also work. That’s how I progressed to the next step.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 08:48 (2080 days ago) @ cheapLEY

dang, wish i knew that any bounty would work. I could have sworn that he specifically told me to go collect ghost fragments and then hunt down escapees. So that's what i did. If i'd know that the others would've worked, i would've done those. I figured they were just typical vendor bounties.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 08:49 (2080 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

You’re not wrong. The way it’s presented in game does make it feel like you are required to do Wanted bounties.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 08:54 (2080 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You’re not wrong. The way it’s presented in game does make it feel like you are required to do Wanted bounties.

I bet it's a bug :D

by EffortlessFury @, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 13:10 (2080 days ago) @ cheapLEY

While I won't tell you that you were wrong for being confused, I will note that when I personally got to the bounty page I had initial confusion but was able to ascertain within seconds that the free bounties were the ones to advance the story.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 14:07 (2080 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Sure, I won’t debate that I’m just dumb.

But the game literally gives you the tutorial about finding Ghost parts to turn in at that time, so let’s not pretend like it’s clear either.

In fact, MacAddict is actually right—it would not surprise me at all that the Wanted bounties are actually the intended way to progress and the fact that the free ones work is unintentional. Everything about the way that’s all presented points to doing Wanted bounties. Someone said it, and now I can’t remember, but the normal bounties might even be greyed out the first time you open that menu.

I don’t really mind, I’m not actually griping. Getting the ghost parts and doing five Wanted bounties took me an hour, and it was fun to do. Seems like a pretty natural way to handle that part of the game to me. Take out some minor dudes before you get to hit the Barons.

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 15:17 (2080 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Spider literally tells you he will help you if you help him and it is strongly implied that you have to track down some WANTED guys. When you are done talking to him, you have the option to buy WANTED bounties but have no ghost parts. You can not get the regular bounties because it says "Talk to Petra".

However, if you go talk to her and come back, you can get the normal bounties. I believe the text of the quest step only mentions bounties and doesn't specify WANTED bounties.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 16:09 (2080 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Yep. We’re arguing the same thing.

The game is fine, that whole section is fine either way. It’s just not clear.

You don't have to do WANTED bounties

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 09:10 (2080 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

(People have posted this below, but I wanted a clearer top-level subject)

You don't need to actually do any WANTED bounties to progress in the story. You can do the normal bounties for Tangled Shore that only cost glimmer, and I was able to knock out very quickly.

This was a little confusing to me too. You talk to Spider in story, then talk to him in game, and the normal bounties are grayed out with text that says something like "talk to Petra." Then you talk to Petra, then talk to Spider again, and the normal bounties are available.

In any case . . .

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 08:48 (2080 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I get where you’re coming from but I disagree. I love that sort of stuff, and I wish Destiny had more of it. It’s a good way to keep old spaces relevant, and makes the world feel alive and real. It’s the roaming packs of wolves taken to the next step and I think it’s great.

I’m any case, those, i was speaking specifically to his character and the way that stuff is all presented. I just think we need more named, interesting characters with motivations. We’re in his lair, and he’s a crime boss—it makes sense that he’s always there, giving us bounties and orders basically. All the other vendors feel lifeless by comparison, just because their motivations for being where they are don’t really feel great. It feels weird for them to always just be standing in the same spot, and that’s not true for the Spider. It feels natural.

But more than that, his motivations feel real. He feels more like a real character in a good way, and not just menu flair like the rest of the vendors. It’s hard to articulate what I mean, I guess.

I just like seeing this sort of grittier side of the Destiny universe, and the knowledge that there are different factions out there with their own reasons for being, and it’s not necessarily just Guardians vs. the Universe.

Failsafe has a perfectly valid reason to be stationary.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 09:09 (2080 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

lol That’s fair enough.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 10:17 (2080 days ago) @ Harmanimus

- No text -

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 06:31 (2080 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think it's the named characters, and the exposition that gets worked in with the Spider's dialogue. Knowing that there are characters with their own motivations (Uldren/The Spider/Petra) that are at cross-purposes, and seeing those things work against each other. We have some context, and we have things in motion that we can follow. All good progress.

In some places though, the writing feels weird. Maybe I'm not far enough in, but Ikora feels pretty off-brand at times.

I'm a fan of the bow so far. And the new enemies. And new effects. Frankly there's still a lot to take in.

Agreed

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 07:16 (2080 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I am loving this patch. I couldn't put it down. There are some parts that aren't as good, and some cliche story elements. But overall it is good, and I feel like I should care.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread