Leveling, soft caps, resets. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, September 09, 2018, 10:39 (2059 days ago)

Do we know what the deal is with all this?

Reports on reddit seem to indicate that there isn't just one soft cap, but several. Doing the daily and weekly challenges will get you to 520. If you do them after that, the powerful engrams will only be +1 over your current power level. The next step will involve running Nightfalls, which gets you to 540, with the same thing happening to those powerful engrams after you hit 540. The next step will be the Dreaming City, up to 560, with the Raid and Prestige Raid rounding out 580 and 600.

Prime engrams seemingly can drop at anytime. The buff increases your chances, but you can still get more after the buff is gone, apparently.

That's all unconfirmed, based on what has happened to folks that got to 520 and their Powerful Engrams started dropping at only +1 power level.

On a related note, what's the deal with the Flashpoints? Bungie said before that they would be reset on four day rotations, but that appears to have not happened. However, I know for a fact that I have done the Flashpoint twice. I did it for a Powerful Engram before the final campaign mission, and then I did it again the following day for another drop. Does it reset when you hit the level cap for some reason? Did the Flashpoint actually reset during that time (reddit says it hasn't reset yet since Tuesday).

Excellent questions

by Oholiab @, Sunday, September 09, 2018, 22:49 (2058 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Honestly, I’m thoroughly confused by the progression system. Can someone ‘splain it in filthy casual terms?

Leveling, soft caps, resets.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, September 09, 2018, 23:51 (2058 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Korny, Monday, September 10, 2018, 00:01

On a related note, what's the deal with the Flashpoints? Bungie said before that they would be reset on four day rotations, but that appears to have not happened. However, I know for a fact that I have done the Flashpoint twice. I did it for a Powerful Engram before the final campaign mission, and then I did it again the following day for another drop. Does it reset when you hit the level cap for some reason? Did the Flashpoint actually reset during that time (reddit says it hasn't reset yet since Tuesday).

They’re bugged. Weeklies reset on Saturday by accident, but gave drops mostly capped at 500. According to Cozmo, Bungie’s going to set the reset on Tuesday like normal, but you will not get a powerful Engram from them until the next reset, so essentially no Weeklies next week, regardless of whether or not you got either Tuesday or Saturday’s rewards.

No, it doesn’t make sense why they’re scrapping the coming weeklies, especially considering that people are using unrelated exploits to boost their Light levels. But World’s First at the Raid is apparently important enough to screw over the game’s entire population.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, September 10, 2018, 00:56 (2058 days ago) @ Korny

I just came across Cosmo's positive reply to this post where someone was trying to set the record / expectations straight on why the next reset won't be a proper one.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, September 10, 2018, 07:11 (2058 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by Korny, Monday, September 10, 2018, 07:55

I just came across Cosmo's positive reply to this post where someone was trying to set the record / expectations straight on why the next reset won't be a proper one.

Two things about that. Not only do we get Cozmo’s typical “how can I communicate with as few words possible (if any at all)” post, but nothing explaining this on official channels outside of a short tweet and update to the list of “known issues”. Nothing phrased as “the issue is”, or “to be clear”, or “we can’t do anything about this because”. It’s poor communication, especially for something that’s going to affect the entire playerbase, and at a time where leveling up is at a premium.

Secondly, is it just me or did Cozmo’s “positive reply” seem like a cop-out? Maybe it’s just that he always sucks at communicating despite it being his job, but someone makes an oddly detailed post in defense of Bungie and a possible reasoning behind what’s going to happen, and Cozmo replies with a terse “yes it’s a bug”, as opposed to any official or unofficial info about their day-long investigation and results. And Bungie really has absolutely no control over the rewards for next week? Who’s flying this thing?

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 10, 2018, 08:14 (2058 days ago) @ Korny

I don’t disagree that Bungie’s communication is often bad, and especially so in this case. I think the issue is exacerbated because it seems like no one has a fucking clue when resets are even supposed to happen, much less of they actually happened yet. Whoever writes UI stuff at Bungie really needs to get in the ball (or at least figure out where the ball even is). Daily bounties sound like something that would reset daily. Invasion kills sound like kills you get while invading. There are so many dumb issues like that that just keep happening, and it feels like that shouldn’t be that hard.

But in regards to them controlling rewards: do you think they’re lying? Why would they? If they say there’s a bug that’s hard to fix, I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, September 10, 2018, 08:31 (2058 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Invasion kills sound like kills you get while invading.

Wait, are they not?

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 10, 2018, 08:55 (2058 days ago) @ stabbim

Wait, are they not?

No. You have to kill invaders, not get kills while you’re invading. Assuming we’re talking about the Ace of Spades quest.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, September 10, 2018, 09:12 (2058 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Wait, are they not?

No. You have to kill invaders, not get kills while you’re invading. Assuming we’re talking about the Ace of Spades quest.

I'm almost happy for the confusion here. Most of my 5 kills were against invaders wielding hand cannons.

-Disciple

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, September 10, 2018, 11:17 (2058 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Wait, are they not?

I'm almost happy for the confusion here. Most of my 5 kills were against invaders wielding hand cannons.

-Disciple

Me too. I got it done in 4 games. The only game I didn't get kills in was a game where the invaders knew what to do and were using supers and sleeper. I think 3 of my kills were on the same guy who just kept running straight at me with a hand cannon.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, September 10, 2018, 09:31 (2058 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Assuming we’re talking about the Ace of Spades quest.

Yeah, that's certainly what I was referring to. I'm glad I found out ahead of time, and for me personally this is a much better scenario - I don't really WANT to have to be the one invading, anyway.

The way I remember it being worded on the quest REALLY seemed like it was the other way around. I was dead certain that it meant kills AS the invader, so much so that I hadn't even thought to check until you said something.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, September 10, 2018, 09:46 (2058 days ago) @ stabbim

Assuming we’re talking about the Ace of Spades quest.

Yeah, that's certainly what I was referring to. I'm glad I found out ahead of time, and for me personally this is a much better scenario - I don't really WANT to have to be the one invading, anyway.

The way I remember it being worded on the quest REALLY seemed like it was the other way around. I was dead certain that it meant kills AS the invader, so much so that I hadn't even thought to check until you said something.

Yeah, this is why they clarified it.

https://twitter.com/BungieHelp/status/1037487825778704384

P.S. I was excited to get a kill last night. This isn't impossible, but it will probably take me a while.

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Monday, September 10, 2018, 11:36 (2058 days ago) @ Kermit

Me too! I got a lucky kill shooting into a fracas beteen my teammates and an invader. I have such horrible luck against guardians it’s going to take me a while, or some stupid guardians.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, September 10, 2018, 10:29 (2058 days ago) @ cheapLEY

But in regards to them controlling rewards: do you think they’re lying? Why would they? If they say there’s a bug that’s hard to fix, I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I’m not saying that they’re lying, but it does seem strange that an unexpected bug pops up, and they already know ahead of time exactly what’s going to happen as a result of it, and that it is going to affect everyone across the board, when it apparently caught them completely off guard.

If they have Hawthorne deliver a Weekly’s worth of powerful engrams to everyone who completes next week’s challenges, then that’ll be a good step towards supporting their claims, as well as being an example of how you should deal with your mistakes. Otherwise, there’s some withheld information and lack of communication going on that I feel is worth noting.

Methinks you just really need to eat a Snickers today.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, September 10, 2018, 10:46 (2058 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Monday, September 10, 2018, 11:39 (2058 days ago) @ Korny

As a programmer I can report that once you have an example of a problem and know where and why it is occurring you can often confidently predict its effects.

Software Engineer +1

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, September 10, 2018, 11:47 (2058 days ago) @ CougRon

I work on a live system that sends out text reminders on a schedule... pretty easy to predict once you know what is happening. Doesn't mean you can't screw up a lot of stuff by trying to fix it fast though. Or without resetting a bunch of stuff.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, September 10, 2018, 10:07 (2058 days ago) @ Korny

Two things about that. Not only do we get Cozmo’s typical “how can I communicate with as few words possible (if any at all)” post, but nothing explaining this on official channels outside of a short tweet and update to the list of “known issues”. Nothing phrased as “the issue is”, or “to be clear”, or “we can’t do anything about this because”. It’s poor communication, especially for something that’s going to affect the entire playerbase, and at a time where leveling up is at a premium.

Secondly, is it just me or did Cozmo’s “positive reply” seem like a cop-out? Maybe it’s just that he always sucks at communicating despite it being his job, but someone makes an oddly detailed post in defense of Bungie and a possible reasoning behind what’s going to happen, and Cozmo replies with a terse “yes it’s a bug”, as opposed to any official or unofficial info about their day-long investigation and results. And Bungie really has absolutely no control over the rewards for next week? Who’s flying this thing?

Oh look. It’s like they had a meeting first thing Monday morning to discuss things that happened over the weekend when most of the team is home with their families.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, September 10, 2018, 10:36 (2058 days ago) @ breitzen

Oh look. It’s like they had a meeting first thing Monday morning to discuss things that happened over the weekend when most of the team is home with their families.

Yeah, I can make a bunch of woe-is-me claims as well long after the fact.

Actions, man. Bad things happen, Bungie says “Whoops! BTW, you’re all getting screwed next week, lol!”
Cozmo chimes in “Yup, the whoopsie was indeed a bug! Will look into it!”

What are we supposed to infer from that?
Bungie needs better PR/community managers.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 10, 2018, 10:40 (2058 days ago) @ Korny

I can see both sides of this one. If you don’t know what’s actually happening, just say that. Find a way to make good rather than just apologizing for the hundredth time.

On the other hand, who gives a shit? You’ll miss out on a few engrams. Big deal.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, September 10, 2018, 10:51 (2058 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I can see both sides of this one. If you don’t know what’s actually happening, just say that. Find a way to make good rather than just apologizing for the hundredth time.

On the other hand, who gives a shit? You’ll miss out on a few engrams. Big deal.

Any other week, it wouldn’t matter, but they’re making a huge fuss about not just being world first at the Raid, but getting a reward for completing the Raid within the first 24 hours that it goes live, and since people have no choice but to go into it underleveled, a whole week’s worth of powerful engrams (two weeks if you missed out on completing the weeklies before Saturday) can be the difference between your team completing the Raid or not.

Personally, I’m not going to bother with that, so it doesn’t affect me, but right now, this is a pretty serious issue for a lot of folks, so Bungie should strive to be a bit more informative than usual, and they’ve completely botched it yet again. And that’s just one issue this week.

Looking forward to see how they make things right for their customers.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, September 10, 2018, 10:58 (2058 days ago) @ Korny

Any other week, it wouldn’t matter, but they’re making a huge fuss about not just being world first at the Raid, but getting a reward for completing the Raid within the first 24 hours that it goes live, and since people have no choice but to go into it underleveled, a whole week’s worth of powerful engrams (two weeks if you missed out on completing the weeklies before Saturday) can be the difference between your team completing the Raid or not.

This is true, but it doesn't give anyone an unfair advantage. It's still an even and fair playing field for all participants.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 10, 2018, 11:06 (2058 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

This is true, but it doesn't give anyone an unfair advantage. It's still an even and fair playing field for all participants.

Except it’s not because there are already folks with full sets of Raid armor and some weapons due to being able to glitch into the raid area and get a chest. I don’t care about World’s First, but I do think it’s a neat thing to acknowledge, and I hope the folks that glitched their way into raid gear get locked out of that race.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, September 10, 2018, 11:16 (2058 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Except it’s not because there are already folks with full sets of Raid armor and some weapons due to being able to glitch into the raid area and get a chest. I don’t care about World’s First, but I do think it’s a neat thing to acknowledge, and I hope the folks that glitched their way into raid gear get locked out of that race.

That's disappointing. At least they know who's done it.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, September 10, 2018, 11:22 (2058 days ago) @ cheapLEY

and I hope the folks that glitched their way into raid gear get locked out of that race.

I'll delete one of Raga's characters if they do anything about those people, because many of them are popular Streamers, and parts of well-known teams going for World First.
If Bungie were to punish these cheaters, there would be backlash from them and their followers, so much like Bungie did absolutely nothing about the Wardcliff exploit, you can expect them to say nothing at all about this chest other than making a sideways reference to it in coming patch notes that remove it, even though it's a cheat that grants players a significant advantage over those who don't do the exploit.

I do hope Bungie surprises me, though.

Good news for Raga's characters

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, September 10, 2018, 12:44 (2058 days ago) @ Korny

So, hashtag...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, September 10, 2018, 13:15 (2058 days ago) @ stabbim

So, hashtag...

by Harmanimus @, Monday, September 10, 2018, 14:02 (2058 days ago) @ Korny

Well, if the only trees you ever care to look at are the dead ones . . .

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, September 10, 2018, 11:38 (2058 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Honestly, I know there is no way Bungie will keep people from participating from the world's First, I just hope they take away the gear and warn against harsher punishment for obvious cheating acts.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, September 10, 2018, 11:12 (2058 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

This is true, but it doesn't give anyone an unfair advantage.

It does give a disadvantage to anyone who completed a Weekly after Friday, since the drops were capped from Saturday onward. That said, if you're trying to level up for the raid, you probably completed your weeklies ASAP.

It's still an even and fair playing field for all participants.

I mean, except for the people glitching the Raid chest and stuff to get past the softcaps (with word of 250+ light players already thanks to exploits). I wonder what, if anything, Bungie's going to do about that.

Again, though. It's not just about World First (an asinine thing that soils the attitude towards the game and resets), but on completing a challenge that Bungie designed around the idea of the game not messing up people's drops. And it has.
But who knows, we'll see what happens.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, September 10, 2018, 11:46 (2058 days ago) @ Korny

This is true, but it doesn't give anyone an unfair advantage.

It does give a disadvantage to anyone who completed a Weekly after Friday, since the drops were capped from Saturday onward. That said, if you're trying to level up for the raid, you probably completed your weeklies ASAP.

Everyone has the same advantage to get online to do the rewards as anyone else. Like I said, it doesn't give anyone an unfair advantage.

It's still an even and fair playing field for all participants.

I mean, except for the people glitching the Raid chest and stuff to get past the softcaps (with word of 250+ light players already thanks to exploits). I wonder what, if anything, Bungie's going to do about that.

I personally was just referring to the other thing, but I can still talk about this separately :D

I really hope Bungie takes harsh action against people who actively try to cheat the system. Getting into a raid before it is said to come out and getting gear from it... that's kinda black and white to me. Sure, you can argue that they were just exploring, which I fully endorse. But if you get to a section that doesn't spawn enemies and has a chest that obviously gives you raid gear... I feel like if that was me, I would delete the gear on the spot. But I don't know, that's just me and I feel like I'm an honest player.

I don't want this to condone people who are explorers or even people who glitch into locations, but do try and get into a world that is ready, but hasn't be opened yet... have some dignity people!

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 06:01 (2057 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I really hope Bungie takes harsh action against people who actively try to cheat the system. Getting into a raid before it is said to come out and getting gear from it... that's kinda black and white to me. Sure, you can argue that they were just exploring, which I fully endorse. But if you get to a section that doesn't spawn enemies and has a chest that obviously gives you raid gear... I feel like if that was me, I would delete the gear on the spot. But I don't know, that's just me and I feel like I'm an honest player.

I don't want this to condone people who are explorers or even people who glitch into locations, but do try and get into a world that is ready, but hasn't be opened yet... have some dignity people!

I honestly don't have a problem with it. Exploring out of bounds has always been a thing, especially with Bungie games. They know it's going to happen. If someone happens to find a chest, then more power to them. They didn't hack anything, or "grief" other players (ala superbouncing in PvP to snipe or hide the oddball).

Bungie can see the collections and who has what gear, they could just say "anyone with raid gear before the raid drops is disqualified from world's first." IMO, that is the worst that should/could happen.

I think at least one of your assumptions is wrong.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, September 10, 2018, 13:03 (2058 days ago) @ Korny

a whole week’s worth of powerful engrams (two weeks if you missed out on completing the weeklies before Saturday) can be the difference between your team completing the Raid or not.

So I know there's confusion about when the reset happened, and WHAT happened (both within the userbase and at Bungie), but I think you're confused about what happened AFTER the Saturday reset.

I got 2 powerful engrams on Sunday, for completing things that I hadn't completed before Saturday that supposedly reset on Saturday - Crucible and Heroic Story Missions. Both were 520 drops (at a time when I was somewhere between 515 and 516, max).

So the reset might have happened - but I STILL got powerful rewards AFTER it. (I may have missed EXTRA ones that I could have gotten before the reset, but I didn't miss the NEW ones, which your comment above suggests might happen.)

Hmm...

by Claude Errera @, Monday, September 10, 2018, 13:07 (2058 days ago) @ Claude Errera

And after reading the Bungie.net post from Player Support, it seems that even THEY are confused about what does or does not happen; the 'Weekly Challenge Reset' section of that post DIRECTLY contradicts my experience.

Heh. I know what's in my inventory, so I think there might be more going on than they understand. :)

Hmm...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, September 10, 2018, 13:15 (2058 days ago) @ Claude Errera

From what I remember, I got at least two Powerful Gear drops from the following things within the last week: Play 3x Daily Story Missions, Play a match of Crucible, Play a Strike. So... from my point of view, I believe I got two weeks worth of engrams in a single week. If that's the case, and those things are supposed to refresh weekly, I'm not really losing out on anything?

But yes, its all a bit unclear...

Hmm...

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 10, 2018, 13:31 (2058 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Kermit and I both got Powerful drops from doing the Weekly Story missions last night.

Hmm...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, September 10, 2018, 14:01 (2058 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Kermit and I both got Powerful drops from doing the Weekly Story missions last night.

I thought so, but thanks for verifying. I'm going to continue with my plan to finish off the weeklies tonight (and now I understand why I have more work than I thought I would. My progress on some of them was cleared, which is a bummer).

Hmm...

by Harmanimus @, Monday, September 10, 2018, 14:09 (2058 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I think 3x Heroic Story Missions is a “weekly” that should reset twice a week. The single Crucible Match, Strike, or Gambit Match should be “Daily” and on a rotation. I think that Flashpoint Heroic Adventures are on that, too, not sure. But if you complete those you should be able to get another that week. Otherwise if you don’t do it within 4 days you miss out on that daily.

My reset experience

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 06:05 (2057 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I keep seeing these posts about the weeklies resetting, but that had not happened to me....until last night.

I currently only have 1 character that's caught up (my other 2 haven't even finished the red war). I had completed the Flashpoint, strike, and crucible weeklies. I actually finished my Flashpoint weekly-in-progress after this supposed reset happened.

Then, late last night I hit level 50, and all of my weeklies reset.

My reset experience

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 06:33 (2057 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Thank you. I suspected something that like might have happened. I know for a fact I did the EDZ Flashpoint twice, and one was definitely prior to hitting 50.

My reset experience

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 06:48 (2057 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Thank you. I suspected something that like might have happened. I know for a fact I did the EDZ Flashpoint twice, and one was definitely prior to hitting 50.

That one might have been intentional. I remember that as soon as I hit 50 on Thursday, my Director lit up like a tree, even though we had done a lot of the side stuff (EDZ for sure).

I wonder if that's deliberate to help you hit 500, and may be tied to the bugged reset softcap.

My reset experience

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Wednesday, September 12, 2018, 02:07 (2056 days ago) @ Korny

I remember talk about a different challeng system going up when you hit 50. i assumed the ‘reset’ was it. The only difference to me was the refreshed and new challenges. Plus several vendors had quests for me

My reset experience

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, September 12, 2018, 06:41 (2056 days ago) @ CougRon

Plus several vendors had quests for me

That part definitely is the level 50 thing. I've run 3 characters to level 50 (as of this morning) and each of them got a set of quests from tower vendors when that happened. The Prime Engram thing from Rahool, the "do something with full armor set" quests, and so on.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread