Constantly losing connection. Is it just me? (Destiny)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Sunday, September 09, 2018, 13:38 (2059 days ago)

I've been having weird network issues the past week. Replaced my modem, still having issues. Called my ISP they can't see any issues...but someone is coming Monday to look at things.

I can play Destiny for about 10 minutes before I get booted. To the point where, I've not finished a game of gambit in 3 days. I'm now suspended from Gambit from "quitting" so much. Same thing has happened in Crucible...I've stopped playing.

My nephew was just playing Fortnite on my xbox with no connection issues. We then boot up Destiny, and get booted 10 minutes into Gambit.

What's the deal? Is it on my end? Is it a Destiny issue? Is anyone else having this?

Constantly losing connection. Is it just me?

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, September 09, 2018, 13:43 (2059 days ago) @ ManKitten

I'm not personally having issues, but there are lots of reports of similar things on the subreddit, especially in regards to connecting to Gambit.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, September 09, 2018, 14:14 (2059 days ago) @ ManKitten

I haven’t had any issues myself. Sorry to hear about it. That’s super frustrating :(

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Sunday, September 09, 2018, 17:37 (2059 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I haven’t had any issues myself. Sorry to hear about it. That’s super frustrating :(

It's annoying but if others are having this issues, it at least helps me pin down the problem. (Just wish I could have figured it out before buying a new modem on Amazon, that was stupid.)

Hopefully the upcoming hotfix will correct all this.

Lots of issues on PS4 for some

by TheeChaos @, Monday, September 10, 2018, 07:04 (2058 days ago) @ ManKitten

I have not had issues myself, but Several people I have been playing with have had issues around Gambit. Disconnecting right after or before games. One person got a Suspension, but should only been 30 minutes. Still a pain.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, September 10, 2018, 07:09 (2058 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I have not had issues myself, but Several people I have been playing with have had issues around Gambit. Disconnecting right after or before games. One person got a Suspension, but should only been 30 minutes. Still a pain.

I was getting kicked from the Fireteam after every single Gambit match the other night.
Wonder what the deal is with that specific gametype having a host of different issues.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 12:12 (2057 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Well my ISP has come out and "fixed" it. And by "fix" I mean, they turned off the free cable they didn't realize I was getting. Damn it.

But I'm still losing connection. I guess I'm going to replace my router now.

FWIW-Try this?

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 12:53 (2057 days ago) @ ManKitten

I used to have a TON of issues before I moved out and was able to control my network.

One fix that alleviated several of my issues was changing my DNS to Google's. Also this speed up download speeds!

You can do Auto settings for the rest of it on your PS4, just change your DNS settings to:

Primary: 8.8.8.8
Secondary: 8.8.4.4

It may not make a difference, but maybe it can help someone.

FWIW-Try this?

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 13:49 (2057 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I used to have a TON of issues before I moved out and was able to control my network.

One fix that alleviated several of my issues was changing my DNS to Google's. Also this speed up download speeds!

You can do Auto settings for the rest of it on your PS4, just change your DNS settings to:

Thank you for the helpful tips, alas, I'm on xbox. And my connection issues are effecting all devices in my house. I'm having to use process of elimination to find the problem and replacing my router is the last thing to do. If this doesn't fix it, I'll have to start fighting with my ISP.

FWIW-Try this?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 14:22 (2057 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Also this speed up download speeds!

Eh..... generally, no. DNS only functions as a directory service, looking up human-readable names like "destiny.bungie.org" and translating them to IP addresses like "192.155.240.34," which is what the computer then actually uses to connect to the server. After that lookup is done, DNS has NO role in the subsequent connection - it only tells the machine what endpoint to connect to. The only way you'd get faster download speeds using one DNS service vs. another is if one of them was giving you a different answer on that initial lookup. That CAN happen if:

a) a very recent IP address change has occurred ont he server you're looking for, and one of them still has the old info cached
b) one or more of them has been manually configured to give a specific answer, rather than dynamically looking it up (which is the "normal" behavior)
c) DNS-based load balancing is in use (where the same service is available from multiple servers, and DNS is intentionally set up to rotate people looking for it between several possible hosts).

C is actually pretty common for large-scale services, but I wouldn't expect changing your DNS server to cause you to get a better host assigned consistently.

All that being said, Google's DNS service IS good, and I absolutely do recommend using it. I have seen ISP DNS servers have all kinds of bizarre problems which cause users to be totally down, unable to connect to some services but not others, etc. But Google's DNS servers almost never have any downtime, and their response times are, weirdly, often faster than your local ISP's, which means just a few milliseconds less delay between when something first starts trying to connect, and when it actually does connect. That results in things just... feeling slightly snappier, in general.

Yeah, even if it doesn't help your XBL issues, it's still worth doing. Personally, I'd try to do it at the router if you know how to access it - that way everything on the network will end up using Google.

FWIW-Try this?

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 15:22 (2057 days ago) @ stabbim

Also this speed up download speeds!

Eh..... generally, no. DNS only functions as a directory service, looking up human-readable names like "destiny.bungie.org" and translating them to IP addresses like "192.155.240.34," which is what the computer then actually uses to connect to the server. After that lookup is done, DNS has NO role in the subsequent connection - it only tells the machine what endpoint to connect to. The only way you'd get faster download speeds using one DNS service vs. another is if one of them was giving you a different answer on that initial lookup. That CAN happen if:

a) a very recent IP address change has occurred ont he server you're looking for, and one of them still has the old info cached
b) one or more of them has been manually configured to give a specific answer, rather than dynamically looking it up (which is the "normal" behavior)
c) DNS-based load balancing is in use (where the same service is available from multiple servers, and DNS is intentionally set up to rotate people looking for it between several possible hosts).

C is actually pretty common for large-scale services, but I wouldn't expect changing your DNS server to cause you to get a better host assigned consistently.

All that being said, Google's DNS service IS good, and I absolutely do recommend using it. I have seen ISP DNS servers have all kinds of bizarre problems which cause users to be totally down, unable to connect to some services but not others, etc. But Google's DNS servers almost never have any downtime, and their response times are, weirdly, often faster than your local ISP's, which means just a few milliseconds less delay between when something first starts trying to connect, and when it actually does connect. That results in things just... feeling slightly snappier, in general.

Yeah, even if it doesn't help your XBL issues, it's still worth doing. Personally, I'd try to do it at the router if you know how to access it - that way everything on the network will end up using Google.

Thanks for the explanation!

I have a good understanding of DNS and you are exactly correct that it doesn't directly affect the connection/speed. However, My ISP's DNS always yielded slower connection tests/downloads speeds than when I was using Googles DNS, and I have not looked back. I don't really have issues on my other devices, as PSN/PS4s just have dreadfully slow download speeds regardless of your supported speeds.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread