You can win Gambit without a fireteam, friend. Trust. (Destiny)

by EffortlessFury @, Wednesday, September 19, 2018, 21:13 (2065 days ago)

u/towerintruder6 on Reddit wrote a handy little guide to running Gambit solo; the neat part is that it is written as a character piece from the POV of a certain new Activity Leader. Really, really well done.

You can win Gambit without a fireteam, friend. Trust.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, September 20, 2018, 06:10 (2065 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Incredibly well done! Thanks for sharing!

Glad I didn’t skip this post

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 06:26 (2063 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

u/towerintruder6 on Reddit wrote a handy little guide to running Gambit solo; the neat part is that it is written as a character piece from the POV of a certain new Activity Leader. Really, really well done.

Super well done!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 09:34 (2063 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Super well done!

Don't worry about invading. You're gonna be plenty occupied keeping your mote monkeys fat and happy. Someone else will jump into that portal, don't worry.

I dunno about this. Randos jump in the portal 90% of the time immediately when it opens, even if the opposing team has no unbanked motes or the primeval has full health. Given that invasions are pretty much the biggest factor in deciding who wins and who doesn't, do you really want to trust it to a rando?

*No unbanked motes. Your ally has invaded! 5 seconds later: Your invader is down* uggggg

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 09:55 (2063 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I dunno about this. Randos jump in the portal 90% of the time immediately when it opens, even if the opposing team has no unbanked motes or the primeval has full health.

Preventing players from dealing primeval damage in the first place is still a good thing. If you only spend 30 seconds keeping the entire enemy team focused on you instead of what they need to be doing to win, you’re still accomplishing something.

Waiting for enemies to deal enough damage for invading to be “worth it” is silly, when you can invade and keep them focused on you instead of hitting the boss.

+1000

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 10:30 (2063 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I dunno about this. Randos jump in the portal 90% of the time immediately when it opens, even if the opposing team has no unbanked motes or the primeval has full health.

Preventing players from dealing primeval damage in the first place is still a good thing. If you only spend 30 seconds keeping the entire enemy team focused on you instead of what they need to be doing to win, you’re still accomplishing something.

Waiting for enemies to deal enough damage for invading to be “worth it” is silly, when you can invade and keep them focused on you instead of hitting the boss.

It’s not just the boss that you have to think about. There’s all the enemies around the boss too; the wizards in particular. Clearing them out provides a damage boost against the Primevil, which means burning down the boss is often the fastest part of the encounter.

So if your team just sits and waits to invade, the other team can focus on clearing ads and killing wizards, then turn to the boss and melt it so fast that you might only have time for 1 invasion. And if that invasion doesn’t go well, your team is toast.

I invade as soon as possible, every single time (assuming I have heavy ammo). I’ve managed to help my team pull off some incredible turnarounds at the very end by relentlessly harassing the enemy team as soon as they summon their Primevil. 9 times out of 10, it ends up being a significant help to my team. Even if the enemy team runs and hides so I can’t kill them, that’s 30 seconds that they’re sitting in a corner, not getting anything done. Meanwhile my teammates are making progress and gaining ground.

So yeah, if your team has someone who is good at invading, then always invade ASAP every time :)

+1000

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 10:43 (2063 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That’s what we were doing last night. INSANEdrive invaded every time he could, as soon as he could, and we absolutely destroyed. He had a lot of great plays, healing up the Primeval and killing dudes with 15 motes. But his general harassment was just as effective. The last game we played, we killed out Primeval in both rounds before the other team was even at 50 motes deposited. That largely came from a campaign of general harassment, keeping them from being able to kill adds to get motes in the first place, not necessarily just killing players that were carrying a bunch of motes.

Ultimately, waiting for the enemy team to be in a position we’re you can make a really clutch play is much more dangerous and less effective than consistent general harassment. If you wait too long, you only get one shot, so you better not screw it up.

+1000

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 11:04 (2063 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That’s what we were doing last night. INSANEdrive invaded every time he could, as soon as he could, and we absolutely destroyed. He had a lot of great plays, healing up the Primeval and killing dudes with 15 motes. But his general harassment was just as effective. The last game we played, we killed out Primeval in both rounds before the other team was even at 50 motes deposited. That largely came from a campaign of general harassment, keeping them from being able to kill adds to get motes in the first place, not necessarily just killing players that were carrying a bunch of motes.

Ultimately, waiting for the enemy team to be in a position we’re you can make a really clutch play is much more dangerous and less effective than consistent general harassment. If you wait too long, you only get one shot, so you better not screw it up.

I've been recording a bunch of fun Gambit Invasion moments over the past few days... I'll have to trim them down and post them soon.

One moment last night that put a big smile on my face; I invaded the enemy team, and saw one player was holding 15 motes. He was in the distance, making a dash for the Bank. His teammate diligently rushed at me, hoping to buy some time for his mote-carrying friend to make the deposit. Unfortunately for both of them, their paths crossed over each other in my line of sight for a split second, and BAM. 1 sleeper shot took them both out :)

+1000

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 11:07 (2063 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Unfortunately for both of them, their paths crossed over each other in my line of sight for a split second, and BAM. 1 sleeper shot took them both out :)

Sleeper scrub.

Scouts are really good for invading, especially for folks like you that like to harass. You can peek in and out and get good sight lines so only one person can see you, and keep moving.

+1000

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 11:09 (2063 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Unfortunately for both of them, their paths crossed over each other in my line of sight for a split second, and BAM. 1 sleeper shot took them both out :)

Sleeper scrub.

Scouts are really good for invading, especially for folks like you that like to harass. You can peek in and out and get good sight lines so only one person can see you, and keep moving.

hah... I have no problem using sleeper when all 4 of my opponents are also using sleeper ;)

+1000

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 13:24 (2063 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Sleeper scrub.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/introducingthe-scrub

Love this :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 13:52 (2063 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Sleeper scrub.

“The call of the scrub” is my new favourite line :)

I’m reminded of something my high school basketball coach once said during practice. We’d split into 2 groups to play a skirmish game against each other. My team ran a play and scored. On our next possession, our point guard called a different play, and the coach immediately blew the whistle.

“Why did you call a different play?”

The point guard replied:

“We’ll we’d already used the other play once, so I thought we should mix it up.”

Coach:

“Why? The other one worked, right?”

“Yeah, but I don’t want to keep calling the same play.”

“Why not? It worked, right? The whole point of this game is to score. If you run a play and they can’t stop it, why would you even think about trying something different? If you do something and it works, then you do that exact thing over and over and over until it doesn’t work anymore.
Then, you try something different.”

So until it stops working, my opponents are gonna eat Sleeper all day long ;p

+1001

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 14:05 (2063 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

+1000

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 14:27 (2063 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Sleeper scrub.

Where do you think I learned that term? :-p

+1000

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 15:07 (2063 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Sleeper scrub.

lol

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 15:56 (2063 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Sleeper scrub.

Sounds about right. :)

Cody, if you know where the term comes from, why did you use it to describe EXACTLY the kind of behavior a scrub DOESN'T do?

lol

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 16:08 (2063 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Sleeper scrub.

Cody, if you know where the term comes from, why did you use it to describe EXACTLY the kind of behavior a scrub DOESN'T do?

Because he’s a scrub ;)

lol

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 18:13 (2062 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Sleeper scrub.

I guess the sarcasm wasn’t implicit :-p

+1000

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 24, 2018, 09:27 (2061 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So yeah, if your team has someone who is good at invading, then always invade ASAP every time :)

That makes sense with regards to the Primeval, but no sense before. I mean, if you want to keep people from banking motes that is what blockers are for… dropping a blocker then invading when they have unbanked motes seems much much better than invading right away when they have none. If you want to just delay them, drop an Ogre or two… Even four small blockers at once is kind of a pain to deal with.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread