Strikes (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 09:23 (2063 days ago)

I got a few of the new strikes yesterday, and had some thoughts.

I haven't done Warden of Nothing yet.

Broodhold is okay. Nothing too memorable.

The Corrupted is fun, and the boss can get super bonkers with his powers and the sheer number of enemies. Rad. But for fucks sake it's one of those 'play the story mission again' strikes. Really? Because when you look at the Corrupted you can see what Bungie can do.

The corrupted! This strike was absolutely awesome. Massive, with so much cool stuff like the debris you have to dodge. Cool fights like the two ogres between realms, the elevator, and probably the most awesome set piece in Destiny with the boss fight. It was super fun the first time. BUT. The strike is long. Every time I have played it, people drop out right at the start… I guess they want quick loot. After some time you usually get people joining in, but it can take a while.

Strikes

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 09:30 (2063 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The corrupted! This strike was absolutely awesome. Massive, with so much cool stuff like the debris you have to dodge. Cool fights like the two ogres between realms, the elevator, and probably the most awesome set piece in Destiny with the boss fight. It was super fun the first time. BUT. The strike is long. Every time I have played it, people drop out right at the start… I guess they want quick loot. After some time you usually get people joining in, but it can take a while.

I love that strike. It’s basically like the design team played the Titanfall 2 campaign and said “I bet we can do some of that!”. And they did. And it’s great :)

Strikes

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 09:49 (2063 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Every time I have played it, people drop out right at the start… I guess they want quick loot. After some time you usually get people joining in, but it can take a while.

Yeah, it’s unfortunate. Seems like the majority of the Destiny community plays the game like idiots chasing a shiny. I mean, whatever, play how you want. I just don’t get it. People running through strikes at full tilt, ignoring enemies just to get it done faster.

But when you make a loot game, this goes hand in hand with that. Loot becomes the thing in people’s mind, the sole focus. It just sucks. ):

Strikes

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 10:04 (2063 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It'd be cool if there was a big bonus for defeating "all the enemies" on a Strike. (It's have to be some set number with some limits on the amount of kills you could get in one location to prevent farming of respawning enemies)

Strikes

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 10:27 (2063 days ago) @ Ragashingo

That’s why I like stuff like the Insight Terminus strike, where you have to unlock the door. Just little extra mechanics that force people to actually play.

Strikes

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 10:39 (2063 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Every time I have played it, people drop out right at the start… I guess they want quick loot. After some time you usually get people joining in, but it can take a while.

Yeah, it’s unfortunate. Seems like the majority of the Destiny community plays the game like idiots chasing a shiny. I mean, whatever, play how you want. I just don’t get it. People running through strikes at full tilt, ignoring enemies just to get it done faster.

But when you make a loot game, this goes hand in hand with that. Loot becomes the thing in people’s mind, the sole focus. It just sucks. ):

The Corrupted's final boss battle is SO MUCH EASIER if you take care of some of the adds. I played with a pair that tried to simply burn her down, and we kept getting wiped out from behind by adds, until I decided to ignore my teammates and focus on just clearing that center platform. Suddenly they were able to do boss damage! Amazing!

(At first, I was trying to be helpful, and be there to help charge up the orbs with them... but 1) you don't need 3 people for that, and 2) they weren't even bothering with the charge-up period, just grabbing the orb and throwing it.)

Strikes

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 11:00 (2063 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Also, the enemies in general aren’t that fun to fight since they don’t have Halo level AI. Between that and chasing loot, people just run to the end. That’s one of the things I like about the corrupted strike. There are lots of encounters where the playspace makes the encounter fun despite the AI.

Warden of Nothing pushed ALL of the right buttons

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, September 22, 2018, 21:00 (2063 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I couldn't believe it was actually happening as I was playing. Absolutely fantastic.

But yes, Corrupted is also one hell of a strike.

Warden of Nothing pushed ALL of the right buttons

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 21:28 (2063 days ago) @ ZackDark

I couldn't believe it was actually happening as I was playing. Absolutely fantastic.

It is exactly what you could want in a strike, and then some:

-Stuff you ain't seen before.
-Familiar environments with a twist.
-Minor but interesting enemies or scenarios to solve.
-Unique boss with interesting mechanics.
-Full use of the sandbox (in this instance, Sparrows/Pikes).
-All bookended with interesting dialogue and a clear motive.

But yes, Corrupted is also one hell of a strike.

And it shares a lot of the same points I made above.

Bungie is stepping up their Strike game, and I'm loving it. Even Broodhold, as straightforward as it is, has a neat boss with unique mechanics, and it's fun to cut our way through to her with only one "stop and do things here for a bit" segment.

+1 D2Y2 Strikes are awesome.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Sunday, September 23, 2018, 06:47 (2062 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Strikes

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, September 24, 2018, 07:29 (2061 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Agreed, the new strikes I've played have been super fun. Warden of Nothing is cool mechanically, there's stuff in there that's unique to the strike for sure, and it also hits some great nostalgia buttons for D1 players.

And yeah, strike speedrunners ruin everything. I totally get WHY they're doing it, of course, but it really rubs me the wrong way how they just decide that it's ok to make other people's experiences worse without asking. Which IS what happens when they just sprint past everything. Anyone on their team who might want to actually PLAY the game is presented with either half-cleared encounters, de-spawning enemies, or in the worst cases, gets teleported ahead. Occasionally, if they're being REALLY egregious about it, like dying when they reach a restricted respawn zone just to force the rest of the team ahead, I just don't help them in the final boss room. I run around, maybe shoot the air a bit, but mostly just dance. Whatever I can do to make it take longer, just out of spite.

Strikes

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, September 24, 2018, 09:29 (2061 days ago) @ stabbim

Occasionally, if they're being REALLY egregious about it, like dying when they reach a restricted respawn zone just to force the rest of the team ahead, I just don't help them in the final boss room. I run around, maybe shoot the air a bit, but mostly just dance. Whatever I can do to make it take longer, just out of spite.

At that point, if you know they are just going to speed run it, why not just leave and re-queue?

Strikes

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, September 24, 2018, 09:51 (2061 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

A couple of reasons. First, while I'm not interested in speedrunning, I'm also not interested in wasting my time. I'm not going to spend half a strike's worth of time only to leave without completing it. I'll separate from them and find a new group AFTER I've had my chance at the loot chest. Second, there's no guarantee that the next group will be any better.

Strikes

by Harmanimus @, Monday, September 24, 2018, 11:13 (2061 days ago) @ stabbim

. . . Whatever I can do to make it take longer, just out of spite.

This sounds exactly like me. I continue to play through the Strike as regular. I will also wipe the boss if he opportunity arises. Especially now because almost every enemy I can shoot is a chance at a Prime Engram which is if more value than a Strike Chest, before even counting glimmer (much more of a commodity now) and experience toward my EV rewards.

Strikes

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, September 24, 2018, 11:27 (2061 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I guess that might have been part of the idea with prime engrams, to get people to engage more with the enemies. Not sure the strike blueberries got the memo.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread