Anyone want to try The Shattered Throne tonight? (Destiny)

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 09:30 (2058 days ago)

I've got a window between about 4:30 PM and 7:30 PM Central time to give this a go. I made it most of the way through the Labyrinth solo last night, but was killed by the final architect and didn't have time for a second attempt. Looks like I would have scored a powerful reward (and maybe a checkpoint?) if I could have taken out that last guy :(

So far it's been pretty cool! I can't wait to give this a go with a full team! Enemies in the first area are 570 and were hitting me pretty hard while I was in the 560s last night. I'd probably recommend 550+ before making the attempt.

-Disciple

Anyone want to try The Shattered Throne tonight?

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 09:46 (2058 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I've got a window between about 4:30 PM and 7:30 PM Central time to give this a go. I made it most of the way through the Labyrinth solo last night, but was killed by the final architect and didn't have time for a second attempt. Looks like I would have scored a powerful reward (and maybe a checkpoint?) if I could have taken out that last guy :(

So far it's been pretty cool! I can't wait to give this a go with a full team! Enemies in the first area are 570 and were hitting me pretty hard while I was in the 560s last night. I'd probably recommend 550+ before making the attempt.

-Disciple

Three of us went through a couple of nights ago - we got all the way through the Architects part, there's no checkpoint or powerful reward after them. The next section kicked our butts, and we gave up after a few attempts (lots and lots and LOTS of snipers). I was high light on the team, at mid-560s, with the other two about 10 levels below me.

I'm around 570 now, and wouldn't mind another run with determined teammates... I do'nt think I'm around tonight, though. :( (Mostly, I just wanted you to know you didn't miss anything by not killing that last Architect.)

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 09:55 (2058 days ago) @ Claude Errera

-Disciple

Three of us went through a couple of nights ago - we got all the way through the Architects part, there's no checkpoint or powerful reward after them. The next section kicked our butts, and we gave up after a few attempts (lots and lots and LOTS of snipers). I was high light on the team, at mid-560s, with the other two about 10 levels below me.

I'm around 570 now, and wouldn't mind another run with determined teammates... I do'nt think I'm around tonight, though. :( (Mostly, I just wanted you to know you didn't miss anything by not killing that last Architect.)

Definitely good to know!

Out of curiosity, does the next stage happen to take place under the first stage? I was running as a Nightstalker last night and saw a chest on my radar right on the point where the symbol appears after you take out the first Taken Captain. I couldn't find a way to get above or below that point without falling off the map, so I'm hoping it's something in the next phase.

-Disciple

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 10:36 (2058 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

-Disciple

Definitely good to know!

Out of curiosity, does the next stage happen to take place under the first stage? I was running as a Nightstalker last night and saw a chest on my radar right on the point where the symbol appears after you take out the first Taken Captain. I couldn't find a way to get above or below that point without falling off the map, so I'm hoping it's something in the next phase.

Oh, interesting! Yeah, it's below (a big drop down from the area with the Architects). I didn't see a chest, so maybe I'm wrong about the no powerful rewards thing?

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 10:53 (2058 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Oh, interesting! Yeah, it's below (a big drop down from the area with the Architects). I didn't see a chest, so maybe I'm wrong about the no powerful rewards thing?

If it's much of a drop at all, that's probably not what I'm seeing. The vertical range of that ability is pretty small. Must be something hidden in the first area. I'm definitely going to have to explore some more.

Man, now I've got to decide between trying to squeeze in a few games of Crucible for my final Powerful Reward of the week in the hopes of getting the one item that will let me break 571 before our blind raid tonight, or doing something I'll actually enjoy and exploring the Shattered Throne.

*cough cough* Actually, I may be feeling ill. *cough* I should probably leave early today :p

-Disciple

Update

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, September 28, 2018, 21:53 (2056 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I finally managed to clear that first section with a LOT of help from Blackt1g3r. We both had a +5 powerful reward added to our inventories when that last captain went down.

Also, I never did find the chest, but I did find something interesting above that room a few days ago.
https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/disciplen2k/video/61156097

I haven't figured out what to do with it but we did find another one later on in the room where you're jumping across rafters while dodging ogres and blights. I'm assuming maybe there's one to be found in each section? We tried several times to throw that one through a glowing, relic-sized ring at the opposite end of the room (and by "we," I mean "Blackt1g3r" who was WAY better at jumping from rafter to rafter), but it didn't seem to do anything. It's possible you have to activate one in each room on your way through, like the locked chest in Spire of Stars.

-Disciple

Update

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Saturday, September 29, 2018, 01:12 (2056 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Those are part of a quest
Spoilers
its part of the exotic quest to get the wish-ender bow. There is a statue before the end of the dungeon that you turn in the relic you got all the way when you first get entry to the dreaming city. You will be given three coins to charge. To charge them you must re-enter the dungeon and find the orbs and present them to these statues in each section that are missing orbs. When all the statues in a section have orbs you charge a coin. Once you have charged all three coins you return to the statue that gave you the coins. Return the coins to get the bow. The bow has the unique ability to destroy egg crystals that have been scattered and hidden throughout the city—one of them is right in the landing zone for the city. Each egg destroyed gives gear apparently. People think their are 40 of them

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 10:10 (2058 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'm around 570 now

How on earth?! I am 528.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 10:29 (2058 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Playing a lot. I hit 551 last night.

Do literally everything that has a Powerful Reward. When you’ve finished that, play Gambit or run strikes or EP or Blind Well for lots of powerful enemies that drop Prime Engrams.

I play more than you do.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 10:38 (2058 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A lot more.

(The top players are hitting 600 now.)

I play more than you do.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 11:21 (2058 days ago) @ Claude Errera

A lot more.

I've done every milestone with powerful gear except for the first week. I should be behind, but I didn't expect to be THAT far behind.

I play more than you do.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 11:37 (2058 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A lot more.

I've done every milestone with powerful gear except for the first week. I should be behind, but I didn't expect to be THAT far behind.

The Prime Engrams make a big difference, and you only get those by spending lots of time playing.

Once you're over 520 LL, most "Powerful" gear drops will land 1 point above your overall level. This means they sometimes land below your max level in any given slot (for example, I might have a 525 Kinetic weapon, but if my overall light is 520, most powerful kinetic drops will only be 521 which wouldn't help me level up at all).

It all depends on the source of the Powerful drop. Most of them are soft-capped at 520, meaning they'll behave as I described above (dropping 1 level above your max overall level). Some activities are soft-capped at 540 drops, others 560.

Because of this, I prioritize the activities that produce larger gains. I also am running all 3 characters, swapping max-level weapons as I go so each character is getting the highest drops possible. I find that I'll level up faster by chasing the high-level powerful drops on all 3 characters and ignoring the lower level drops completely (or going after them only if I have spare time), vs trying to do everything on one character.

But again, the Prime engrams are always a substantial boost. I'm at 565, and I just had a 572 Kinetic drop from a Prime Engram yesterday. I tend to get 2 or 3 prime engrams per night, which adds up quite a bit.

I play more than you do.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 11:39 (2058 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A lot more.

That seems unlikely - there are MANY of them, I keep finding new ones I didn't know about. (Some open after you've finished one, for example. There are more than half a dozen each week in the Dreaming City alone.)

I keep saying "I guess I've done all the powerfuls this week", then finding one I hadn't seen before.

I play more than you do.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 11:44 (2058 days ago) @ Claude Errera

A lot more.

That seems unlikely - there are MANY of them, I keep finding new ones I didn't know about. (Some open after you've finished one, for example. There are more than half a dozen each week in the Dreaming City alone.)

I keep saying "I guess I've done all the powerfuls this week", then finding one I hadn't seen before.

Good to know. I've come across a few that way as well.

But honestly, I think I might have simply met my match with this game in terms of the time I'm actually willing to invest… I've already lost the most important thing to me (Raiding blind), and while there's a ton of cool as shit stuff in this game right now, a lot of it is way above my power level.

I'm not complaining though… that's just the way it is and I've accepted it.

I play more than you do.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 11:54 (2058 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A lot more.

Good to know. I've come across a few that way as well.

But honestly, I think I might have simply met my match with this game in terms of the time I'm actually willing to invest… I've already lost the most important thing to me (Raiding blind), and while there's a ton of cool as shit stuff in this game right now, a lot of it is way above my power level.

I'm not complaining though… that's just the way it is and I've accepted it.

Why have you lost raiding blind? (I'm still blind, and don't have a raid group to play with. I won't be able to raid with you; my PS4 character is still 390, and will be for a while, but I'm still hoping to find a group that hasn't raided yet. Have you watched vids or something?)

I play more than you do.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 12:01 (2058 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Why have you lost raiding blind? (I'm still blind, and don't have a raid group to play with. I won't be able to raid with you; my PS4 character is still 390, and will be for a while, but I'm still hoping to find a group that hasn't raided yet. Have you watched vids or something?)

No, I'm still blind. But it looks like most people on PS4 have started raiding already. If there is a group still out there, then I will move mountains to get together to do this raid blind.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 11:09 (2058 days ago) @ Cody Miller

One thing I found (and I think a guide has been posted) is to do the nightfall and Dreaming City powerful engram first. They give the biggest boosts. Then do the rest to fill in the gaps on lower level pieces. I did that this week and got a bigger boost than the previous weeks.

I've been doing the opposite. (Also, dumb thing v2)

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 12:39 (2058 days ago) @ bluerunner

One thing I found (and I think a guide has been posted) is to do the nightfall and Dreaming City powerful engram first. They give the biggest boosts. Then do the rest to fill in the gaps on lower level pieces. I did that this week and got a bigger boost than the previous weeks.

I'll do the less powerful powerful rewards first to try to bring my lower light stuff up to my character's average power level. Then I'll chase the rarer more powerful powerful engrams to give one of the slots a pretty good bump in power.

When I'm chasing the smaller rewards, if I'm 560 and my +1 powerful reward happens to drop for the slot I've already got a piece of 565 gear in, it's not a huge loss, but if it drops for one of those two slots where I've been dragging a piece of 552 gear forever, then it's now a 561 and makes a decent improvement in my overall light level.

On the other hand, if I grab a +5 engram and it decrypts to that slot with a bit of 565 gear, I've completely wasted that +5 bonus, and those get more and more rare as your power level increases. But as long as I can work it so I don't cash in the +5 rewards until my highest power item is at most three points higher than my character's power level, then I'm guaranteed to get a bump in power level no matter which slot it decrypts to.

Speaking of the ridiculous hoops that we have to jump through to try and maximize leveling efficiency, Robot Chickens took the original Google Docs spreadsheet, cleaned it up and made it look WAY nicer, added a deviation stat to show the maximum difference in either direction between your gear and power level, and added additional pages showing the expected power level changes for T1 (+1) and T2 (+5) rewards. We also changed the recommendation formula to look at "push" (how much your highest level item is above your power level) instead of "drag" (how much your lowest level item is below your power level) and added some back-of-the-napkin calculations for how likely you are to benefit from each engram.

Dumb Thing V2

-Disciple

Suggestion

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 14:25 (2058 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I can never remember which of those symbols corresponds to which character type. Maybe add mouseovers with actual text?

(At the moment, I'm focusing on one character, so I can ignore the second two columns, and just use the first one, regardless of whether it matches my Titan or not. But at some point, I AM gonna be running all three, and I'm pretty sure if I haven't figured those symbols out in the past 5 years, I'm not gonna start now. :) )

Suggestion

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 14:29 (2058 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by DiscipleN2k, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 14:47

I can never remember which of those symbols corresponds to which character type. Maybe add mouseovers with actual text?

(At the moment, I'm focusing on one character, so I can ignore the second two columns, and just use the first one, regardless of whether it matches my Titan or not. But at some point, I AM gonna be running all three, and I'm pretty sure if I haven't figured those symbols out in the past 5 years, I'm not gonna start now. :) )

I actually tried doing that with both alt-text and comments, but neither pop up on mouseover and I can't even see comments without edit permissions. I was hoping to add an explanation of what some of the stats mean, too.

-Disciple

Edit: Never mind. I'm just dumb and don't understand how comments work. I think I've got it now. Will be updated in a few.

Edit2: Aaaaand, done. They still don't show up without edit permissions, but hopefully will be visible when you make a local copy for plugging in your own stats. I can't test this without using a 2nd Google account, though.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 11:25 (2058 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I accidentally skipped the first half of the dungeon last night, and ended up making it all the way to the final boss. I was with Malagate and Stabbim, neither of whom could damage the enemies. I was level 565, so I could damage them a bit, but we were in no shape to tackle the fight properly.

I do want to say that this dungeon is just spectacular. I love everything about it; the ominous tone and setting, the sense of mystery.

I'm not exactly sure why, but I'm way more excited about this dungeon than I am about doing the raid. The raids used to be my absolute favorite part of Destiny. I ran VoG repeatedly, 4-5 nights per week, for months. Same with Crota. And all these years later, I can still go back to them and have a blast. But somewhere along the way, I fell off them a bit. I certainly got burned out by Kings Fall very quickly. I thoroughly enjoyed Wrath of the Machine, but I didn't play it nearly as often as the earlier raids. And with the Leviathan... I have fun with it from time to time, but I haven't had a strong desire to go back to it on about a year now. I only ever completed Eater of Worlds once or twice, and I still haven't done Spire of Stars.

I can't quite put my finger on why my feelings about raids have shifted like this. I think that part of it comes down to my feelings about blind raiding, and the fact that I don't really like it. Since most of DBO likes to run the raids blind, and make commitments around it, I'm usually out of the raiding loop for the first month or so until the rest of the clan has finished their blind runs. And by the time that has happened, it seems that raid groups have somewhat crystallized, and going forward the raids just seem to happen on a regular basis within those groups without ever making it to the FTB (absolutely none of this is a complaint, for the record... just an observation). But that element aside, I think I'm just not as enthusiastic about how mechanic and callout-heavy the raids have become. I don't know if they are more mechanically complicated than they used to be, or if its just becoming less appealing to me over time. But even watching footage of Last Wish makes me feel kind of exhausted.

I'm rambling about all this because Shattered Throne gives me a lot of the kinds of feelings I used to get from raids. So I'm very happy and excited to have an activity like this added to the game. This, along with the 6-player version of the corrupted strike, fills a gap that I had started to fall into, and I'm glad of that.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 11:36 (2058 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm super out of the loop. What IS this shattered throne thing? Is it an ascendant challenge? I literally have no clue what you guys are talking about… :-(

And you are probably burned out on raiding because you are playing on the xbox, while the best people to raid with are on PS4 :-p

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 11:41 (2058 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm super out of the loop. What IS this shattered throne thing? Is it an ascendant challenge? I literally have no clue what you guys are talking about… :-(

It's a random area that opened a couple of days ago, accessed via the unused well space in the Confluence.

I learned about it when a Purification Ritual bounty dropped mentioning it, but others just found it by exploring.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 11:45 (2058 days ago) @ Claude Errera

It's a random area that opened a couple of days ago, accessed via the unused well space in the Confluence.

I learned about it when a Purification Ritual bounty dropped mentioning it, but others just found it by exploring.

This is what the game needs more of! That's pretty cool.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 11:57 (2058 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The Shattered Throne is a new activity... it's being called a "Dungeon", but I don't know if that's from Bungie, or if it has just taken off.

It is a long, high-level mission (590). It is almost raid-like in terms of the setting and scale, but very little in the way of complex mechanics (although the bosses have a bit more to them than the average strike boss. More akin to the Court of Oryx bosses in terms of complexity).

It can be run as a fireteam of 3, although it is fully designed to be possible to complete solo, as some players have already done. It's also tied to a new exotic weapon.

And you are probably burned out on raiding because you are playing on the xbox, while the best people to raid with are on PS4 :-p

I do miss playing with you guys :)

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 12:19 (2058 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

The Shattered Throne is a new activity... it's being called a "Dungeon", but I don't know if that's from Bungie, or if it has just taken off.

It's from Bungie:

[image]

It can be run as a fireteam of 3, although it is fully designed to be possible to complete solo, as some players have already done. It's also tied to a new exotic weapon.

According to a dev I play with, a second fireteam of 3 can join. (I'm not 100% sure of the mechanics of that.)

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, October 01, 2018, 09:19 (2054 days ago) @ Claude Errera

According to a dev I play with, a second fireteam of 3 can join. (I'm not 100% sure of the mechanics of that.)

That info was in reference to the gambit-quest version of The Corrupted strike, which can be run with 6 people (wherein you can launch into it in a fireteam of three, and then another three can join). AFAIK, the dungeon is limited to 1-3 players.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, October 01, 2018, 10:02 (2054 days ago) @ Speedracer513

That info was in reference to the gambit-quest version of The Corrupted strike, which can be run with 6 people (wherein you can launch into it in a fireteam of three, and then another three can join). AFAIK, the dungeon is limited to 1-3 players.

Wow, I totally misunderstood that. Sorry!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, October 01, 2018, 10:12 (2054 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I was a bit confused at the time as well, but I'm even more confused now. Given the way Bungie has since described the 6-player Corrupted strike as a bug. My understanding of the conversation was that it was intentional and designed with 6 players in mind, but I must have misunderstood.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, October 01, 2018, 10:17 (2054 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I was a bit confused at the time as well, but I'm even more confused now. Given the way Bungie has since described the 6-player Corrupted strike as a bug. My understanding of the conversation was that it was intentional and designed with 6 players in mind, but I must have misunderstood.

Yeah, I don't know whether it is a bug or not, but I did ask him again after you texted me the next morning Cruel, and he confirmed that he was talking about being able to do that version of The Corrupted strike with 6 people. (I, too, got the impression that it was intended to be that way and not a bug).

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 12:14 (2058 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Chaos and I two-manned the first part last night, and three-manned the rest with Destroyo. The Ogre fight was super easy with some well-timed teamwork, and I found that there are hidden chests, so even that place has neat secrets (Chaos discovered some Crystals that are immune to firearms, but maybe not to throwy balls).

We didn’t get to finish the very last part, since Destroyo pulled us to DC, then to Orbit, before leaving us to join a Raid. What a jerk.

But it’s pretty cool!

+1 =P

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 13:04 (2058 days ago) @ Korny

I watched some videos today, we were close to the end!

by squidnh3, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 13:10 (2058 days ago) @ Korny

(Chaos discovered some Crystals that are immune to firearms, but maybe not to throwy balls).

There are crystals like this all over the Dreaming City (there's one right where you land). As far as I know, no one has figured out how to damage them.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 13:15 (2058 days ago) @ squidnh3

(Chaos discovered some Crystals that are immune to firearms, but maybe not to throwy balls).

There are crystals like this all over the Dreaming City (there's one right where you land). As far as I know, no one has figured out how to damage them.

What’s interesting about those Crystals in the dungeon is that there is always a foot path to get to them. I should have swiped at them with my new Sword that I got from the first room.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 13:19 (2058 days ago) @ squidnh3

What are the chances the Wish-Ender you get from this will damage them? I’d bet quite a bit.

by Dust223, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 13:21 (2058 days ago) @ squidnh3

People have found out how to damage them you need to use Wishender the exotic bow

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread