THAB 10-04-2018 (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 04, 2018, 15:45 (2056 days ago)

The Weekly Update has been posted., and it starts with a few paragraphs about all the things to chase: gear rolls, Triumphs, titles, power level, etc.

We have some more tricks up our sleeves to keep your Guardian lifestyle rich and exciting, and those conversations will begin soon. In the meantime, there are still some questions we’d like to answer about how the day-to-day experience will be changing with the next round of updates.

The Malfeasance quest is addressed. Short version is that they're increasing the chance for that Primeval to spawn. During week three, the most-cursed version of the Dreaming City, it will have an "almost" equal chance to spawn as any other Primeval (again the with being vague--what's "almost" mean? 90%? 75%?). It will be less on any other week, but they are increasing the chances during those weeks from what it currently is.

As a result, subsequent kills of that Primeval will no longer result in a guaranteed drop of the ship or sparrow.

They are bringing back quitter penalties (although increasing the number of games you must leave to incur such penalties). No mention of people quitting to screw the other team out of the Malfeasance boss kill.

They are changing heavy ammo economy in Gambit. Notably, Sleeper only gets 2 shots from a heavy brick now, rather than four. Swords get more than they used to.

There is an update scheduled for October 16:

-Hover over Lost Sectors to see the name of that Lost Sector (once it has been discovered)
-Track up to three pursuits
-Added three heavy weapons to the World Legendary pool, so Edge Transit has some alternatives
-Increasing Scout Rifle damage in PvE
-Transmat effects added to Collections
-A few other things

Another update on October 30:

-Adjusting Exotic rewards to help reduce the number of duplicate drops
-The chance for a Nightfall Unique Reward to drop will increase each time a Nightfall is completed without a unique drop
-Adding Masterwork Cores as rewards for specific Spider “Wanted” bounties and general Scrapper bounties
-Reducing the time for single-shader deletion from your inventory
-some other stuff

The Last Wish Raid will not have a Prestige mode. The raid is just the raid.

Festival of the Lost starts on October 16. Ends with a quest to solve a murder, apparently.

Player Support Report and Movie of the Week cap it off, as usual.

Raid Spoilers Edition.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, October 04, 2018, 16:31 (2056 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Remember when people went ballistic about seeing the crusher machine boss in the Rise of Iron trailer? Well surprise there's the fully rendered, in-game face of the final Raid boss! As the cover art of this weekly update!

Discuss. <evil grin>

Raid Spoilers Edition.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 04, 2018, 16:44 (2056 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Discuss. <evil grin>

Everyone already saw it during the cutscene entering the Dreaming City after the first group beat the raid. Hard to see how it matters anymore at this point.

Raid Spoilers Edition.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Thursday, October 04, 2018, 16:50 (2056 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Discuss. <evil grin>

Everyone already saw it during the cutscene entering the Dreaming City after the first group beat the raid. Hard to see how it matters anymore at this point.

Unless this is a cinematic that pops up sometime after helping Petra talk to the Queen (because that's legit all I've done in the Dreaming City), or it just doesn't play at all anymore, I've never seen it.

Not that I care either way. Just saying.

Yeah, it's the first time you fly in after that

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, October 05, 2018, 07:30 (2056 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

- No text -

THAB 10-04-2018

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, October 04, 2018, 16:48 (2056 days ago) @ cheapLEY

They are bringing back quitter penalties (although increasing the number of games you must leave to incur such penalties). No mention of people quitting to screw the other team out of the Malfeasance boss kill.

This is something I've never understood. Why can't the game just lock the quitter out of whatever activity they left (or maybe even lock them out of any activity with matchmaking) for the average length of time it takes to complete that activity. Throw a fit and rage quit because your team is getting steamrolled in Crucible? Take 12 minutes to cool off, but you don't get to start a new game while your old team suffers. Have an exploding diaper emergency in the middle of your strike? Life happens. You're locked out for 15 minutes, but that will probably be over by the time you're back anyway.

Festival of the Lost starts on October 16. Ends with a quest to solve a murder, apparently.

Uldren, in the prison, with the Ace of Spades.

-Disciple

THAB 10-04-2018

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 04, 2018, 17:06 (2056 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

This is something I've never understood. Why can't the game just lock the quitter out of whatever activity they left (or maybe even lock them out of any activity with matchmaking) for the average length of time it takes to complete that activity. Throw a fit and rage quit because your team is getting steamrolled in Crucible? Take 12 minutes to cool off, but you don't get to start a new game while your old team suffers. Have an exploding diaper emergency in the middle of your strike? Life happens. You're locked out for 15 minutes, but that will probably be over by the time you're back anyway.

I think that the problem has historically been that they’ve had trouble separating “quitting” from network failures or other random disconnects. They don’t want to be too strict on quitter penalties because they’ll also be applied to people who are booted through no fault of their own.

Uldren, in the prison, with the Ace of Spades.

-Disciple

LOL

THAB 10-04-2018

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, October 04, 2018, 21:18 (2056 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think that the problem has historically been that they’ve had trouble separating “quitting” from network failures or other random disconnects. They don’t want to be too strict on quitter penalties because they’ll also be applied to people who are booted through no fault of their own.

I don't know how they wouldn't be able to see that a player went through the steps necessary to manually leave an activity. In fact, I'm pretty sure that when you're in a guided raid, the system warns you about a quitting penalty if you start to leave. I think at some point Bungie even specifically said they could tell the difference between quitting and network issues, but I could very well be confusing that with them talking about cheating via network manipulation vs legit network issues. They even have that thing that tries to automatically drop you back into strikes or raids when you disconnect that doesn't happen when you quit and start a new game, so it seems it's at least pretty good at knowing when you disconnect and when you quit.

That said, if there is still a good chance of some false positives when identifying quitters, I'd definitely rather deal with a few whiny-baby a-holes leaving my team short-handed than accidentally punish people with crappy network issues.

-Disciple

THAB 10-04-2018

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, October 05, 2018, 07:33 (2056 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think the penalty suggested is a good compromise, though. Network instability? Better to wait a few minutes than jump right back in anyways.

What do you know of network instability Zack?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, October 05, 2018, 07:51 (2056 days ago) @ ZackDark

[image]

Zack invented network instability.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, October 05, 2018, 10:16 (2056 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

I was born in it, molded by it.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, October 06, 2018, 08:23 (2055 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I didn't see a coherent data packet until I was already a man.

Remaining Player(s) > Quitter/Drop-Out

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, October 05, 2018, 12:15 (2055 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Disclaimer: I wrote this last night while steamed. Reading it over, as animated as it is, I think I bring up a decent point. I'm not sure about the solution I give, but the problem is worth consideration.

I'm also piggybacking off this post and putting down my thoughts towards the rest of the information in the "THAB" as well. Thank you.

---------------------------------------------------

Gambit

Quitter Protection: We are currently developing a change to Gambit matchmaking that will help with the extended load times some players have been experiencing. When this change is released, we will be re-enabling quitter penalties for the Gambit playlist. However, we have increased the number of games players can leave before they are restricted from the playlist. We are making this change to help mitigate some situations where bad internet connectivity results in a restriction.

[image]

Alllllll-righty ya'll. I'm tired of this myopic NEVER WORKS "solution", that isn't. Why? BECAUSE THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T [QUIT GAMES/USE A POTATO FOR INTERNET ACCESS] ARE STILL HOLDING THE BAG! Dis-freek'n-claimer: I've had one of the shittiest Gambit games today that was the iceing on top of the flippen' PvP quit-cake, and I'm still riding on that experience abit. Just a touch.

I'M FINE! ALL IS SWELL! SEE, LOOK HOW happy I AM!

SO!... Look, when a player drops out, it can suck. 5 Vs 6... eh... it's a bothersome pin prick. 3 V 4... ok... that stings abit, but hey, shit happens. YET, WHEN HALF THE TEAM IS GONE....*sigh*... when half the team is gone, more often then not they take the game with them. Not only does it trend to be REALLY demoralizing, it just sucks the fun out of the whole "Team" thing. Now this can very on an number of factors, but I think we can all agree that this sucks for those still in the game of that team.

It's a Freek'n catch 22. I don't want to quit the game, but I SHOULD! I've seen again and again what happens to games when there is a large number/batch of quits. Yet I don't want to incur the wrath of the Quit Hammer. In other words, the quitters aren't effected by it or don't care, hence the quit, and those who don't quit DO CARE! ANYONE SEE THE PROBLEM HERE!?!?

Here's your solution - END THE FUCKING MATCH! The Match is already forfeit. You've already got the backbone here Bungle; Mercy that shit. Sprinkle some glimmer consolation prize, and try again. Why? Because 1 V 4 Gambit & Competitive Games SUCK!

[image]

Anyway...

The Gambit team is closely monitoring community feedback and looking at game data. In future updates, you should expect changes to Gambit bounties, how frequently you earn rewards, and other changes to the mode that will give teams in the lead a greater advantage. We’ll be back in future weeks to shed more light on the future of Gambit as it continues to evolve.

Greater advantage, eh? So... in other words I can look forward to more people going "Ahhh We lost..." *Quit*. Sounds fun. ... Yeah. We'll see. The point is when I'm playing Gambit, unless there is an obvious team advantage, be it the skill of the other team, or the size of my own, I generally am aware that it's still possible to win the round. It's a Tortoise and the Hare balance. For me, that's been where the fun has been in Gambit. So... now I'm curious of what they have in mind and... and we'll see.

Update Calendar

Instead of quoting all of it, I'll just say I look forward to the 16th and 30th respectively for the little QoL Updates we'll get... except...

Rebalancing functionality of Distribution/Dynamo perks, requiring players to be near opponents for Super energy benefits

What does this mean, exactly?

Update Calendar

Toil and Trouble
With the launch of Season of the Outlaw, we’ve updated how players gain ranks and earn loot from Commander Zavala. Players who visit him may notice that he has a new reward system called Nightfall ranks.

Nightfall ranks represent a player’s progression through all of Destiny 2’s Nightfall strikes and are incremented every time a player completes a different Nightfall strike with a bonus threshold beyond 100,000 points. For each Nightfall where players surpass its bonus threshold, their Nightfall rank will increment upward by one whole point. For players to achieve the maximum Nightfall rank of 14 and make Zavala’s tier-10 Masterwork Toil and Trouble available for purchase, players will need to surpass the 100,000 point bonus threshold in all 14 Nightfall strikes.

In addition to Nightfall ranks, Commander Zavala also oversees the Vanguard ranks. This system functions much the same to prior seasons, and only requires players to earn Vanguard packages by turning in reputation tokens earned by completing strikes and Vanguard Bounties.

I... was unaware of this, and I think this is cool. Once we get high enough in light, I'd like to try and do this just to see if we can. :)

Flawless Footage

._. Wow.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 05, 2018, 12:57 (2055 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

If I had my way:

-You get one quit per week for free. Things happen. I get it. Just join in someone else ASAP.
-After that you lose infamy, and if you quit enough you get a week ban from the playlist.
-If someone who is not on your fireteam or party chat quits, then losing will not reset your streak. This encourages people to continue since the game is 'free'. The fireteam / party requirement is so you can't co-ordinate to quit if you are losing.
-If you join a game, it should not reset your streak if you lose (I think they did this already?)

There you go.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, October 05, 2018, 13:37 (2055 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If I had my way:

-You get one quit per week for free. Things happen. I get it. Just join in someone else ASAP.
-After that you lose infamy, and if you quit enough you get a week ban from the playlist.
-If someone who is not on your fireteam or party chat quits, then losing will not reset your streak. This encourages people to continue since the game is 'free'. The fireteam / party requirement is so you can't co-ordinate to quit if you are losing.

Ultimately this is the same as what Bungie has done; "Punish" the quitter, at the cost of the Player. There is too much focus on those who quit. Focus on those who are left who don't want to.

I've been thinking that ... I don't know... % percent buff to health & quarter of that % on damage per dropped player, per number of players against the max team count Vs the number of players on the other team. Make it so that the pure numbers disadvantage is evened out. Some Pure math-a-magic to make it so that 1 V 4 doesn't feel utterly hopeless. A mercy over shield, if you will. Glowing and everything.

MATH!

-If you join a game, it should not reset your streak if you lose (I think they did this already?)

There you go.

Yep.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 05, 2018, 13:53 (2055 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I've been thinking that ... I don't know... % percent buff to health & quarter of that % on damage per dropped player, per number of players against the max team count Vs the number of players on the other team. Make it so that the pure numbers disadvantage is evened out. Some Pure math-a-magic to make it so that 1 V 4 doesn't feel utterly hopeless. A mercy over shield, if you will. Glowing and everything.

I think a better and less intrusive solution is to have join in progress be aggressive in filling in teams, and give you some super energy when you join a game in progress.

Join in progress sucks.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, October 05, 2018, 15:26 (2055 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Instead of letting the terrible experience be capped at the folks already in the game, let’s spread that around by placing someone else into a match they’re all but guaranteed to lose.

Join in progress sucks.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, October 05, 2018, 22:09 (2055 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Instead of letting the terrible experience be capped at the folks already in the game, let’s spread that around by placing someone else into a match they’re all but guaranteed to lose.

As much as I hate getting dumped into the losing side of a match, the other half of Cody's suggestion would make the experience far less frustrating. Few things irritate me more than getting dropped in and immediately spawn-killed by someone's super, then respawn only to be spawn-killed by someone else's super. If the game could start me off with at least as much super energy as I would have gotten from just running around the map for the entire game, this would suck a lot less.

Thinking about that now, though, that means that the other team could see themselves get annihilated by a full team of supers, watch someone lag out (or manually quit if they're farming super-kills for a bounty), then have join-in-progress throw them another teammate with a full or nearly-full super. That wouldn't exactly be fair either.

It's just a crappy situation all around. Better to try and prevent people from quitting in the first place than try and find a band-aid to slap on when they do.

-Disciple

Join in progress sucks.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, October 05, 2018, 22:47 (2055 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Oh, you're not wrong. It's a problem with no easy solution.

I'd honestly just prefer them to figure out a way to know that my teammates quit, then allow me to do the same thing without penalty. Some people have the pride or just straight bullheadedness to feel the need to stick around in that scenario and tough it out. I don't. I have shit to do, spending five or ten minutes getting destroyed because my team quit out isn't one of them. It'd be great if Bungie could let me bail at that point without losing a streak, but let's be real, I'm going to break the streak either way, so I might as well just bail and start another game that much sooner.

Join in progress sucks.

by Harmanimus @, Monday, October 08, 2018, 14:05 (2052 days ago) @ cheapLEY

JIP players get guaranteed MW cores and a Legendary drop. There you go. JIP is fixed.

Also, yes. Given them super energy equivalent to the time the match has been active just as if the player had been idle.

Contrary opinion ...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, October 09, 2018, 06:21 (2052 days ago) @ cheapLEY

that is unique to me, I'm sure. Because Crucible isn't something I'm usually chomping at the bit to play, I'm at least partly motivated by rewards and progress. I enjoy Crucible (and Gambit even more), but it's kind of like the spinach of Destiny. I like spinach, but raids are my dessert. Winning or losing is mostly a secondary objective--I'm not worried about my ranking or K/D so much.

Dropping in just as we're losing a game means I can more quickly get back to other activities I enjoy a little more. I don't mind it. I'm managing two platforms--I want to level up as efficiently as possible so I can enjoy endgame activities with as many friends as possible.

No word on Chaos Reach bug?

by TheeChaos @, Friday, October 05, 2018, 10:48 (2056 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Dylan acknowledged it here:

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, October 05, 2018, 12:37 (2055 days ago) @ TheeChaos

by TheeChaos @, Friday, October 05, 2018, 13:00 (2055 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Well good they said something about it?

Its the perk that makes that class most interesting IMO. And doesn't work. So maybe we are looking at a November fix. I thought all the new systems were supposed to make changes happen quicker? Are the fixes not ready and they are just hopes? I'm sure if there were a nasty bug about everyone getting awesome drops that would be fixed quickly.

Just sort of venting I guess. We were reminded that changes would happen quickly. Why do we have to wait weeks for a big batch of bug fixes? If they have a tested fix, why make people wait a month? I'm honestly looking for legit answers. I understand testing takes time/etc but if its already on the "Patch notes" why do we have to wait 2 weeks. Extensive testing?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 05, 2018, 13:07 (2055 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Just sort of venting I guess. We were reminded that changes would happen quickly. Why do we have to wait weeks for a big batch of bug fixes? If they have a tested fix, why make people wait a month? I'm honestly looking for legit answers. I understand testing takes time/etc but if its already on the "Patch notes" why do we have to wait 2 weeks. Extensive testing?

Every patch already breaks something else. Do you want a fast fix in which MORE stuff gets broken in collateral damage?

by TheeChaos @, Friday, October 05, 2018, 13:13 (2055 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Every patch already breaks something else. Do you want a fast fix in which MORE stuff gets broken in collateral damage?

Doesn't that happen anyway? At least trickling them out 1 or 2 at a time you have a better idea of where to search for should any related issues come up. Throwing about 15+ in one package seems more risky on that train of thought.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 05, 2018, 13:33 (2055 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Doesn't that happen anyway? At least trickling them out 1 or 2 at a time you have a better idea of where to search for should any related issues come up. Throwing about 15+ in one package seems more risky on that train of thought.

I just want them to fix the biggest bug in forsaken:

The leveling system.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, October 05, 2018, 13:35 (2055 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Its the perk that makes that class most interesting IMO. And doesn't work. So maybe we are looking at a November fix. I thought all the new systems were supposed to make changes happen quicker? Are the fixes not ready and they are just hopes? I'm sure if there were a nasty bug about everyone getting awesome drops that would be fixed quickly.

Not sure if I'm misreading his response, or you are... but it sounded to me like the bug has been identified, but not fixed yet. Yes, they can roll out changes more quickly - but they still have to CODE the changes, and it sounded (to me, anyway) like they haven't figured this one out yet.

I agree.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, October 05, 2018, 13:41 (2055 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Not sure if I'm misreading his response, or you are... but it sounded to me like the bug has been identified, but not fixed yet. Yes, they can roll out changes more quickly - but they still have to CODE the changes, and it sounded (to me, anyway) like they haven't figured this one out yet.

The phrase "This is a fairly nasty bug that the team is looking into", tells me it's not simple. It's probably coupled to a number of systems in game that if not done careful, will yield a hydras worth of new bugs.

I agree.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Saturday, October 06, 2018, 12:30 (2054 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

The phrase "This is a fairly nasty bug that the team is looking into", tells me it's not simple. It's probably coupled to a number of systems in game that if not done careful, will yield a hydras worth of new bugs.

Considering the amount of different systems that go into every frame of this game, I'm not surprised. Thinking about that heavy ammo bug from awhile back gives me the chills.

What's amazing about bugs, is that sometime, the bug you've written is propping up some other broken code without you realizing it. Fixing the observed bug may expose a much more nasty variant underneath in what seems like a relatively unrelated system.

by TheeChaos @, Friday, October 05, 2018, 20:47 (2055 days ago) @ Claude Errera

My response was just about changes/fixes in whole. Not just this one bug. You are right this one has only been identified. but the others they have fixes for with a deployment date. I should have specified which ones I was talking about in the second part.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, October 05, 2018, 13:58 (2055 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Huh, interesting. I knew it sucked, but I didn't know it was an actual bug.

I guess, to elaborate, because I'm not sure my experience matches up with others: when I first unlocked that tree, I WAS able to get SOME energy back, but only with the absolute briefest possible use. Meaning if I clicked the super buttons, and then hit them again just as quickly as I possible could - so, the shortest super usage that my fingers are capable of - I would get a small amount back. Not much, I'd say maybe 10-15%, just going on memory. Any longer than that, and I got nothing.

I only mention this because the first few comments I read on the Reddit thread made it sound like it literally never gives ANY amount back, and if that had been my experience I probably would have known it was bugged. But my experience was that it technically could happen, it just wasn't anywhere near as effective as I would have hoped.

That being said, I'm glad it's considered a bug, because the current functionality sucks. So much so that I never bothered completing that tree.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, October 06, 2018, 08:32 (2055 days ago) @ stabbim

That being said, I'm glad it's considered a bug, because the current functionality sucks. So much so that I never bothered completing that tree.

I mean, the super and arc traces are absolutely amazing even with the bug. You should definitely give it a go.

Pro tip: get a Harmony buff while in the Blind Well when using Chaos Reach. Shit is crazy when you do.

THAB 10-04-2018 | Thousand Voices Bug

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, October 06, 2018, 18:22 (2054 days ago) @ cheapLEY

We are developing a fix for an issue where One Thousand Voices may cause loud screeching audio when fired while strafing or jumping

For prosperity... or whatever, here is that bug in action.

TURN. DOWN. YOUR VOLUME. LOWER. THEN. YOU. THINK. YOU. NEED.

The sound happens in two bursts, starting at 9 Seconds in, ending fully 20 seconds in.

You've been warned.

Can I just say, even though this is a bug, how perfect of a bug this is.

Thousand Voices indeed.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread