Redrix’s Broadsword and Luna’s Howl acquired. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 18:49 (2037 days ago)

After a heck of a lot of crucible over the past 2 weeks, I managed to complete both the Redrix and Luna quests today. Haven’t spent much time with either weapon yet, aside from a bit of patrolling the Dreaming City. My first impression is that they’re both pretty great, but I wanted to post a few thoughts about the quests themselves.

Redrix Quest

I found this quest fairly straightforward and painless. The only step I was worried about completing was the “reset your Valor rank 5 times this season” part, but thanks to the double/triple Valor week, I sailed right past that goal. Granted, I played way more crucible than I normally would, but there’s still a lot of time left in the season. So I’d say that as long as Bungie continues this tradition of the occasional Valor-boosting weeks, quests of this nature are a nice, long-term, slow burn kind of grind that most players can actually achieve if they choose to.

Luna’s Quest

This quest is a whole other animal. On paper, it’s not too bad. But the competitive playlist is bit of a dumpster-fire of constant frustration. For context, I love competitive play. Trials was one of my favourite parts of D1. I enjoy tough, sweaty matches, and I don’t mind loosing... as long as I feel like I’m playing a fair game. But the comp playlist feels brutally unfair at times. I had some stretches of good luck last week, but the past 2 days were an entirely different story (I suspect the playlist population took a nosedive once the triple-Valor boost ended). The number of times I’d get thrown into games on shorthanded teams, up against 4-stacks who were all already using Luna’s Howl... it was brutal. Also got thrown into several matches where I was the ONLY player on my team, plus a fair number of connection failures (all of which cost me glory rank, obviously).

I managed to complete the final quest step (reach 2100 glory points) ahead of several other steps, which meant I didn’t need to worry about wins while completing the remaining steps. It’s a good thing too. While earning my 100 headshot kills with hand cannons, I slipped from ~2200 glory down to 1800 glory. Prioritizing headshot hand cannon kills AND winning was just too much for me, especially going up against such incredibly stiff opposition. I can also say with confidence that in the hands of a skilled player, Luna’s Howl is unmatched. It’s a fast-firing hand cannon that can 2-shot kill once its primary perk has been activated. Going up against a whole team of those things doesn’t feel fair at all.

In the end, I’m happy that I completed the Luna’s Howl quest, and relieved that I was able to burn through it relatively quickly. I will say that as of right now, my mood is something like “I’m happy I have this cool gun, but you couldn’t pay me to set foot in the competitive playlist ever again”. I’m sure that’ll fade over time, but it does seem to me like Bungie needs to do some serious work on the playlist as well as their matchmaking. I doubt they wanted this quest to leave people hating the playlist, but that seems to be a common takeaway based on what I’ve seen on Reddit.

Anyway, that’s it for now. Just wanted to share a few thoughts while the whole grind is fresh in my mind.

I just got a Crucible gun too!

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 19:18 (2037 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by CyberKN, Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 19:23

[image]

Since my last post about hammering out some D1 Crucible, I've been trying to get this scout rifle to drop. It's been a nightmare of RNG built on top of RNG.

Y3 Trials Guns can drop from Quartermaster bounties, but it's _very_ rare, as I found out. The bounties reset weekly, and some weeks you don't even get the bounty for the gun you want. Although there was a nine-week drought for the scout rifle bounty, I still tried to get any of the Non-HC Trials guns (I didn't; this was the first). That's at least 150 kills with the relevant weapon type every week.

It finally dropped for me on Monday.

Can't wait to try it out in the raid this week :D

Sweeeet!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 19:58 (2037 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Redrix’s Broadsword and Luna’s Howl acquired.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 19:31 (2037 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I've pretty much abandoned hope for Luna's Howl. That playlist is just such a shitshow. I'm far from the best or smartest crucible player, but I look like a god compared to 75% of the absolute morons I get as teammates. I seriously feel like most of my teammates are just bad bots with the Pac-Man ghost AI, endlessly running straight into enemy bullets with no concern for anything else. Like, you know there's an enemy with a shotgun camped around the corner, you were fucking chasing him--just don't go through the damn doorway!

It's a shame, because I really have enjoyed the time I've played Competitive with a team. I just can't hack it alone, I guess, and I'm not sure I'm really up for that grind.

I totally see myself getting Redrix's Broadsword, though. That quest is pretty straightforward, and I'm 300 Valor away from my third reset. Another triple valor weekend, and I'll be there.

by squidnh3, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 06:33 (2036 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It's a shame, because I really have enjoyed the time I've played Competitive with a team. I just can't hack it alone, I guess, and I'm not sure I'm really up for that grind.

Keep posting events. I've finally got a couple weeks ahead where I'm not super busy, so I'll be making a more serious run at this.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 08:27 (2036 days ago) @ squidnh3

I’ll keep that in mind. I haven’t totally given up on the notion yet. This past weekend was definitely a wake up call for the grind it will require though.

It only took me two nights to go to nearly 1100, and it took two more nights to cut that in half. That should be encouraging maybe, that equal playtime didn’t see me lose all progress, and that if I can get some good win streaks I’ll be okay. I don’t know.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 08:52 (2036 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’ll keep that in mind. I haven’t totally given up on the notion yet. This past weekend was definitely a wake up call for the grind it will require though.

It only took me two nights to go to nearly 1100, and it took two more nights to cut that in half. That should be encouraging maybe, that equal playtime didn’t see me lose all progress, and that if I can get some good win streaks I’ll be okay. I don’t know.

Contrary to my "you couldn't pay me to go back into the competitive playlist" comment, I'm always happy to join you guys if you're looking for teammates. Please do give me a shout any time if you see me online.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 09:32 (2036 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Contrary to my "you couldn't pay me to go back into the competitive playlist" comment, I'm always happy to join you guys if you're looking for teammates. Please do give me a shout any time if you see me online.

Similarly, even though my previous stance was, "I should avoid PvP at all costs because it just makes me want to break things," I actually had a lot of fun playing Iron Banner with a full team last week--Bonus, I got my first salty message while playing IB with a disco ball mask for a festival bounty :p

I'm currently chasing festival triumphs, but once those are wrapped up (just four masks to go!), I'd be down for some comp any time there's a team. I'll definitely be avoiding going in solo, though.

-Disciple

We should try mornings

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 09:20 (2036 days ago) @ squidnh3

As people have said it's way less good teams. Also, look at my post above to Claudes. We literally can retry next season!

I also got a wepon to defeat the humens!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 20:07 (2037 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Got Horror Story right before I completed a number of powerful engrams, and my Light shot up from 552 to 561.
Great event reward, too. Took it into Crucible and it paired really well with the Fighting Lion.

Here’s hoping Bungie bats another homer with the next event.

Horror Story

by slycrel ⌂, Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 20:54 (2037 days ago) @ Korny

This weapon has been the single best thing for my light levels. I shot up from ~560 to ~580 in 3 days of heavy playing. Literally a game changer -- I feel like I can actually do whatever I'd like to now.

Horror Story

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 06:31 (2036 days ago) @ slycrel

And there are no level restrictions for it. I transferred it over to my titan that hasn't been leveled up to 50 and he could use it right away.

Nice

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 06:39 (2036 days ago) @ bluerunner

There is also a White SMG you can buy in your collections that has no level requirement. Buy it on your highest light, and then transfer over to lower characters. I think its a secondary, so you can also use Horror Story and really bump your leveling character up a bit.

SGA right here. Will do

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, October 25, 2018, 09:11 (2036 days ago) @ TheeChaos

- No text -

Another Leveling Tip/SGA

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 10:14 (2036 days ago) @ ZackDark

Once you have Horror Story and buy the Sorrow MG2, you could potentially have a 600 primary, and a 580ish secondary depending your highest characters level.

At this point, all drops will keep going up in light level in good speed from drops. But you can do this yourself cheap.

I got my titan to 575 after hitting 50 and just doing 1 weeks worth of Powerfuls on him. I did this BEFORE Horror Story, so having a 600 primary should only make it faster.

The Strategy:

Go into your collections/Armor/leveling. This is where all the green/blue armor is. You can buy a piece for 250 Glimmer and 3 Weapon Parts each. The trick is to just buy an entire set of the armor. Then go back through and buy it again and again. Don't even bother equipping it, it already knows what your highest light is. Do this until the light levels stop increasing. This will easily bring your light up and keep your slots all the same light level for cheap.

When you hit 50 and get some POWERFUL drops, keep checking back here to see if you can bring up any of your slots. If you get a high slot somewhere, you may be able to buy a blue for a slot a few light levels higher. Sure, its Nickels and Dimes, but it makes getting to 580 range a joke. I got my titan to 575 after hitting 50 and just doing 1 weeks worth of Powerfuls on him. This was without Horror Story.

I have like 300 weapon parts, it didn't cost me anything and saved me TONS of time.

I wouldn't bother infusing any of this with the masterwork economy, this is just to bring your Light level up, so that your drops go higher.

Does it have a name? Or is it called "White SMG"?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 09:41 (2036 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I don't mind that name, sometimes people call me "White SOB" so I get it.

Sorrow MG2

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 10:01 (2036 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I would never call you that.

Maybe Caucasian SOB.

Sorrow MG2

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 10:20 (2036 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I would never call you that.

Maybe Caucasian SOB.

That sounds about right. I probably deserve it and it's PC!

The Sorrow was in MGS 3 dude…

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 10:45 (2036 days ago) @ TheeChaos

- No text -

I was thinking the same thing as I typed it.

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 11:11 (2036 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 23:26 (2036 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Congrats!

I can't imagine finishing the Luna's Howl quest - but I'm 6 Crucible bounties away from Redrix's, so I should have it by Friday.

Congrats!!

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 06:12 (2036 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I am 2 bounties and some games away from my Redrix. Should be there within a week but I don't really feel rushed to get it currently. Season ends at the beginning of December.

Luna's howl was definitely a grind, but doable if you grind it out. I think WHEN I played competitive was more important that HOW I played. Playing early morning on the weekends, I was running around doing my Sniping like it was regular Quickplay. Playing at night any given night, was when I kept running into the 4-man telesto wrecking crews.

HOWEVER, Luna's Howl feels SO good. Triple tapping guardians, good handling. I threw a Targeting mod on mine for more target acquisition and it made a difference. This also pairs well with my Surpremacy Sniper Rifle as the Supremacy is a Primary, I have my Luna's Howl for the close up.

Luna's Howl is good in PVE too! The proc goes away when you miss or get a kill. So, if you are landing all your precision shots on a yellow bar Knight, you get 3 seconds (3 shots?) of insane damage. All of this will primary ammunition means you can play around with your other slots more in PVE.

Congrats!!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 08:07 (2036 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I am 2 bounties and some games away from my Redrix. Should be there within a week but I don't really feel rushed to get it currently. Season ends at the beginning of December.

Luna's howl was definitely a grind, but doable if you grind it out. I think WHEN I played competitive was more important that HOW I played. Playing early morning on the weekends, I was running around doing my Sniping like it was regular Quickplay. Playing at night any given night, was when I kept running into the 4-man telesto wrecking crews.

HOWEVER, Luna's Howl feels SO good. Triple tapping guardians, good handling. I threw a Targeting mod on mine for more target acquisition and it made a difference. This also pairs well with my Surpremacy Sniper Rifle as the Supremacy is a Primary, I have my Luna's Howl for the close up.

Luna's Howl is good in PVE too! The proc goes away when you miss or get a kill. So, if you are landing all your precision shots on a yellow bar Knight, you get 3 seconds (3 shots?) of insane damage. All of this will primary ammunition means you can play around with your other slots more in PVE.

I played a couple matches with Luna's Howl this morning, and yeah... I love it. It's great. I've never totally clicked with a Hand Cannon in D2. Even Trust, Ace of Spades, Better Devils. I struggle to consistently land my shots with all of them. They either have too much kick, or in the case of Trust, there's something about the rate of fire that I can't get in sync with. I'm either pulling the trigger too fast or too slow (totally my fault, not the gun's).

But with Luna's Howl I'm nailing 3-shot kills, no problem. I haven't pulled of a 2 shot yet, but even as 3-shot, the time to kill is super quick. Plus I just put an extended mag mod on it, so it now holds 13 shots in the clip (up from 10). That should give me even more room to benefit from the Magnificent Howl perk.

I also think it is a potentially devastating PvE weapon. I typically use the IKELOS shotgun in my secondary slot, and rely on that for quick burst of DPS against powerful targets. Now, I'm not going to say that Luna's Howl can hold a candle to the IKELOS SG in terms of DPS, but I suspect it will do way more DPS than any other primary weapon, plus it doesn't require you to get close to your target, so that's a point in its favor. I could see some interesting loadouts involving a Sniper primary, Luna secondary, and sword/shotgun Power weapon. Gonna have to play around with that.

Congrats!!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 26, 2018, 13:00 (2035 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I struggle to consistently land my shots with all of them. They either have too much kick, or in the case of Trust, there's something about the rate of fire that I can't get in sync with. I'm either pulling the trigger too fast or too slow (totally my fault, not the gun's).

Trust clicked for me while trying to get the hand cannon / solar kills for the Luna's Howl quest. Just shoot as fast as you can and don't think too hard about precision damage. It turns out to be pretty beastly. It might be the hand cannon for you: just aim for the chest and you will do really well.

Congrats!!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 14:17 (2034 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I struggle to consistently land my shots with all of them. They either have too much kick, or in the case of Trust, there's something about the rate of fire that I can't get in sync with. I'm either pulling the trigger too fast or too slow (totally my fault, not the gun's).

Trust clicked for me while trying to get the hand cannon / solar kills for the Luna's Howl quest. Just shoot as fast as you can and don't think too hard about precision damage. It turns out to be pretty beastly. It might be the hand cannon for you: just aim for the chest and you will do really well.

I used it a lot during the Luna quest. I do like it. I completed most of the 150 hand cannon kills with it. But when I got to the "100 headshot kills with a hand cannon" step, I was really struggling with it. My Trust has the "explosive Payload" perk on it, and while I love the perk in general, I suspect it interferes with the way headshot kills are tracked (since the killing damage would often come from the explosion and not the ballistic impact). I ended up getting most of my headshot kills with Crimson.

But now that I have Luna's Howl, I'm nailing headshots with ease. It just feel more snappy and precise than Trust for me. Although that could also come down to my specific Trust roll. I'm still hoping to get a better one.

Congrats!!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 14:21 (2034 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I used it a lot during the Luna quest. I do like it. I completed most of the 150 hand cannon kills with it. But when I got to the "100 headshot kills with a hand cannon" step, I was really struggling with it. My Trust has the "explosive Payload" perk on it, and while I love the perk in general, I suspect it interferes with the way headshot kills are tracked (since the killing damage would often come from the explosion and not the ballistic impact). I ended up getting most of my headshot kills with Crimson.

But now that I have Luna's Howl, I'm nailing headshots with ease. It just feel more snappy and precise than Trust for me. Although that could also come down to my specific Trust roll. I'm still hoping to get a better one.

Is there something comparable to Anonymous Autumn in the primary slot? Because I don’t want to feel dirty and run Luna’s Howl with Dust Rock Blues.

Congrats!!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 14:24 (2034 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Is there something comparable to Anonymous Autumn in the primary slot? Because I don’t want to feel dirty and run Luna’s Howl with Dust Rock Blues.

I really don't know. I never use Sidearms. I have a Smuggler's Word that looks great on paper. Full auto and rampage with an enhanced stability sight and a range masterwork. But I've never even equipped it.

Congrats!!

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 18:36 (2034 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Smuggler’s Word is great. I have one with Full Auto and Kill Clip. It’s as effective as my Anonymous Autumn with the same roll. I use it a lot now that I’m using that Iron Banner Pulse Rifle in the energy slot.

Congrats!!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 28, 2018, 10:09 (2033 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I really don't know. I never use Sidearms. I have a Smuggler's Word that looks great on paper. Full auto and rampage with an enhanced stability sight and a range masterwork. But I've never even equipped it.

Yeah I tried smugglers word and I don’t really like it. I’m hoping there is a 360rpm sidearm in the Kinetic slot as those are the best IMO.

Congrats!!

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, October 28, 2018, 11:24 (2033 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I’m hoping there is a 360rpm sidearm in the Kinetic slot as those are the best IMO.

Did you ever get Spoiler Alert? You could pull one of those out of collections. I don’t think there is a 360 rpm Kinetic from Forsaken. Smuggler’s Word is the only legendary kinetic sidearm in Forsaken. There is a blue kinetic sidearm that I’ve heard can be really good, but I’m not sure how many rounds per minute it is.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread