Forsaken couldn’t save the PS4 clan (Destiny)

by vtf73, Friday, October 26, 2018, 20:39 (2016 days ago)

More interest garnered for a D1 throwback raid than D2 Last Wish...and it’s a shame because the new raid is great.

Forsaken couldn’t save the PS4 clan

by cheapLEY @, Friday, October 26, 2018, 21:21 (2016 days ago) @ vtf73

More interest garnered for a D1 throwback raid than D2 Last Wish...and it’s a shame because the new raid is great.

We're at Riven in our blind run. It's been fun. The Last Wish is really cool. Some really great encounters.

It's a bummer about the PS4 side of things. Forsaken itself is some of the problem for me. I don't see myself returning to PS4 anytime soon, if ever, because the level grind is just too damn long. I have one character at 580-something, one at 516, and the other I'm just playing a bunch of Crucible to get to level 50 before I do the Forsaken story.

I love Forsaken, but I don't particularly feel like doing it all again on another system. And it gets sort of frustrating going to another system and then not having all the gear I've grown to love on the other set of characters. I just don't have it in me.

There's enough gear to chase and stuff to do, that I'm not actually sure I'll get everything that I want to do accomplished by the time the next content drop hits in December already.

It's a shame, because I want to play with you all again.

Beating a dead horse at this point, but I'm really hoping we see cross saves in the next iteration of Destiny.

by vtf73, Friday, October 26, 2018, 21:29 (2016 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I couldn’t imagine playing on more than one platform, so I get it. The launch and some days following we had a large number of people on, but it dried up a lot sooner than expected, at least to me. Good luck with Riven, it’s a bitch doing it legit let alone blind.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 26, 2018, 22:54 (2016 days ago) @ vtf73

You can count me in for future raids now that I am of appropriate level.

by vtf73, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 00:40 (2016 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Will do. Hopefully there’s more than 2 of us lol

by TheeChaos @, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 07:25 (2015 days ago) @ vtf73

I wouldn't say that. Kermit just wanted to do an old raid with PS4 people since he wasn't leveled on PS4. Nothing wrong with that.

That being said, it is somewhat dead. We barely have enough for a raid team 1 time a week =/ We need to get to recruiting or doing the guided games, if thats still a thing.

by vtf73, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 09:59 (2015 days ago) @ TheeChaos

certainly nothing wrong with it. My point was you were able to fill a D1 raid but not one for D2, that’s all. Due to the lack of interest within the clan I’ve been running with randoms getting to at least the vault on 2 sometimes 3 of my characters every week using the bungle app...even beating it last night in under an hour. Just a shame the clan isn’t coming together as I hoped with Forsaken.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 10:08 (2015 days ago) @ vtf73

certainly nothing wrong with it. My point was you were able to fill a D1 raid but not one for D2, that’s all. Due to the lack of interest within the clan I’ve been running with randoms getting to at least the vault on 2 sometimes 3 of my characters every week using the bungle app...even beating it last night in under an hour. Just a shame the clan isn’t coming together as I hoped with Forsaken.

It’s a weird time, and I don’t think it’s going to get any better. Between all of the different Halloween events, new game releases, and number of Persistent-world games available, Destiny content just doesn’t quite have the same pull that it once did.

Half my friend’s list is off playing Black Ops, Fortnite, Red Dead, Spider-Man, or Overwatch. Only like ten people are ever on Destiny at any given time, and they’re often grouped up doing other things. Me, I just don’t like raiding anymore.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 13:22 (2015 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 13:26

It’s a weird time, and I don’t think it’s going to get any better. Between all of the different Halloween events, new game releases, and number of Persistent-world games available, Destiny content just doesn’t quite have the same pull that it once did.

I feel like it's just that we are all getting sick of the bullshit.

The progression system in Forsaken is just compete garbage. The fact that people don't want to do anything once you reach 600 just reveals that the things you do to progress are by and large not intrinsically enjoyable.

Not that I will completely defend Destiny 1 here, but there was some semblance that your skill and familiarity with activities contributed to your advancement. Yeah the raid was RNG, but if you got good at it you could crank it out every week for more chances at a drop. How can I get better at getting a prime engram drop? How can I get better at doing 8 bounties for Petra every week? It's stupid. Don't make me spend time to advance. Make me learn.

The whole investment system was so clearly designed to spread players around to populate all activities… instead of trusting the activities are enjoyable in and of themselves. The shared world aspect of Destiny is holding it back and mandating these awful design decisions.

Co-op RPG. This is the genre Destiny should have been. It's the genre the game world deserved.

That being said please do the raid with me guys :-p I'm ready. And a shattered throne would be cool in 2 weeks.

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 13:39 (2015 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The fact that people don't want to do anything once you reach 600 just reveals that the things you do to progress are by and large not intrinsically enjoyable.

Why do you say shit like this, Cody?

I've played hours and hours and hours of stuff with people who are 600. You talk to one or two people that feel differently, and think it's okay to write a general sentence talking about 'facts' based on those conversations - that actually makes me ANGRY.

Jesus.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 14:07 (2015 days ago) @ Claude Errera

The fact that people don't want to do anything once you reach 600 just reveals that the things you do to progress are by and large not intrinsically enjoyable.

I've played hours and hours and hours of stuff with people who are 600. You talk to one or two people that feel differently, and think it's okay to write a general sentence talking about 'facts' based on those conversations - that actually makes me ANGRY.

Jesus.

Sorry. I was talking about the milestones. THings like the flashpoint and other stuff that gives you powerful gear. Obviously a ton of stuff remains fun.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 14:08 (2015 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Jesus.

I personally haven't run into anyone who "doesn't want to do anything" once they've hit 600, so I'm not sure where that claim is coming from :-/

Since I hit 600, I no longer have that pull that makes me feel like I "must" do certain activities (to the extent that I ever felt like I "must" do something in a video game). But that's very different from "not wanting to do them". I still have lots of fun patrolling the dreaming city, or doing my Gambit and Crucible daily/weekly bounties. I'm utterly against the existence of light levels or power grind in Destiny, yet I've been pleasantly surprised by the way Forsaken has never made me feel locked out of an activity that I really wanted to do, due to being under leveled, with the exception of the Raid. And for maybe the first time in Destiny's lifespan, there's so much other great stuff to do that I didn't really miss raiding. I'm only just not starting to feel a real itch to dive into it seriously... the other content kept me thoroughly occupied more than long enough for me to pass the required light level. So while I don't inherently disagree with Cody's complaint about the leveling system, I'm forced to admit that I've found the level grind in Forsaken to be almost completely unobstructive, which is surprising considering how steep the climb is.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 14:14 (2015 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Unobstructive for you. For me it denied me the game’s best thing: blind raiding.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 14:21 (2015 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Unobstructive for you. For me it denied me the game’s best thing: blind raiding.

I get that, truly. And I sympathize with how frustrating that must be.

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 16:16 (2015 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm actually with you on that. I finally gave in and raided (first two encounters) this week, totally non-blind (the group I went in with had all done it, or was willing to be walked through it). I still had fun - but I'm not convinced it wouldn't have been a better experience blind. (I'm not convinced that it would have been, either - some of the mechanics are pretty convoluted. But I won't actually ever know, and that makes me a little sad.)

That said - there's still a TON of stuff to do that's fun, including raiding. I'm with Cruel on this; the only major change between pre-600 and post-600 for me is allowing Powerful Engram events to remain unfinished when I run out of time. (I still do most of them, because I LIKE doing most of them - but I don't feel like I have to push to do those few events I run out of time for.)

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 18:28 (2015 days ago) @ Claude Errera

some of the mechanics are pretty convoluted.

It could just be that I was with an especially good team this time around, but Last Wish has probably been the easiest blind raid I’ve done, at least in terms of figuring things out. I guess Leviathan was probably easier for the most part if I think about it. But King’s Fall felt harder, I think.

Shuro Chi was such a fun encounter blind. It was just a ridiculous endurance test, getting just a bit further climbing that tower every time.

I’m bummed you guys couldn’t do that blind. I’m eager to run the whole thing a few times again, see how it fun it is to repeat.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 14:29 (2015 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Leveling up from 380 to 598 was maybe the best “grind” so far in Destiny. It felt like no matter what I did I was rewarded with higher and higher level gear. So I could do anything I wanted and was the middle of the pack of our Raid group. It was such a difference from things like D1 where I (and most people) got stuck be cause we couldn’t get the one piece of Raid gear we needed. Or some of the later D1 expansions where you practically had to do X to get Y so you could advance your level at all.

I just wish Bungie would set the timing so everyone could take part in the activities closer to the same time. A two month gap between the play all day streamers and our DBO team who was not lacking in dedication or skill is just crazy. Imagine if Last Wish had been a 500 level activity! The whole community could have been a part of the race instead of what? Six teams?

The leveling was fine, in my opinion, it’s just the gear drops and insulting timing of the raid and those exclusive jackets that have been problematic.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Sunday, October 28, 2018, 06:37 (2014 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Leveling up from 380 to 598 was maybe the best “grind” so far in Destiny. It felt like no matter what I did I was rewarded with higher and higher level gear. So I could do anything I wanted and was the middle of the pack of our Raid group. It was such a difference from things like D1 where I (and most people) got stuck be cause we couldn’t get the one piece of Raid gear we needed. Or some of the later D1 expansions where you practically had to do X to get Y so you could advance your level at all.

I just wish Bungie would set the timing so everyone could take part in the activities closer to the same time. A two month gap between the play all day streamers and our DBO team who was not lacking in dedication or skill is just crazy. Imagine if Last Wish had been a 500 level activity! The whole community could have been a part of the race instead of what? Six teams?

That is absolutely by design.

If Bungie was to prioritize giving the maximum number of players a chance to raid blind, or to participate in the race to do a world's first, they would delay even making the raid accessible until the fat part of their playerbase-level curve hit at least the minimum requirement for the raid.

Streamers absolutely do not want this. None of them who have spent years building up an audience and spend a lot of time grinding want to end up losing out on a milestone like that to a group of players that nobody knows.

I don't necessarily think that Bungie really cares that much, either individually or collectively, about what it is that streamers want-- except insofar as that many of them (and their fans) complain loudly when the game is not meeting their expectations, and while Bungie would perhaps please more players by delaying the raid, Bungie cannot derive a significant benefit for themselves by doing so because that approval is diffuse, while streamer disapproval is not.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 28, 2018, 08:52 (2014 days ago) @ narcogen

Streamers absolutely do not want this. None of them who have spent years building up an audience and spend a lot of time grinding want to end up losing out on a milestone like that to a group of players that nobody knows.

The solution is 1/x. Difficulty to raid on the Y axis, and time to raid on the x axis.

Make raiding early very hard, but make it quickly get easier until it levels off. That way streamers can chase the world's first, but a few days later everyone can have a go without killing themselves.

by TheOmegaClown, Sunday, October 28, 2018, 19:07 (2014 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Im pretty casual these days and I've had a ton of fun with forsaken so far. Me and hound have been progressing slowly, so blind raids are behind us realistically, but I wouldn't consider the entire progression system to be garbage just because I haven't been able to participate in that single activity. If the alternative is that every drop becomes purely aesthetic because theres no leveling at all that sounds pretty boring to me.

That being said my favorite thing to do is to raid with a good group of people, if for nothing other than the banter. Group play is what keeps me online post max level. Hope to see more on so we can still pull those together! :)

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Monday, October 29, 2018, 04:56 (2013 days ago) @ TheOmegaClown

Im pretty casual these days and I've had a ton of fun with forsaken so far. Me and hound have been progressing slowly, so blind raids are behind us realistically

I've been progressing so slowly. You guys may be higher light level than me

Are you two still Blind currently? If yes, then there may be almost enough of us to have a super late Blind Raid

by TheOmegaClown, Monday, October 29, 2018, 09:48 (2013 days ago) @ Pyromancy

I've watched some vids so I have a basic understanding of the fights. So, not really blind Nymore, though I have yet to raid.

by telemachus, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 10:23 (2012 days ago) @ TheOmegaClown

I'm like legally blind here. I've seen some screen shots here and there, read some things about what the encounters are about. But I have no clue what's going on.

by TheeChaos @, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 10:29 (2015 days ago) @ vtf73

I would like to do the raid more. My biggest issue with it, and Destiny at the moment, is the drops. I hit 600 on my Hunter, and I doing anything with a "Powerful" reward drops crap. Edge transit is a given, but I need NEW STUFF. The raid is where this should shine. Instead I keep getting the chest to drop REPEATEDLY. I am up to 6 chest drops, 1 boot 1 helmet 1 arm. This would be neat if they had Raid specific perks, but they got rid of that. And since they don't drop at 600, whats the point if you aren't crazy about the gear? Some people get curated weapons first try, why am I on number 6 of the same drop? RNG likes some more than others for sure but damn. If I get 5 of the same item and only have a handful of the rest, spread it around.

Maybe after the upcoming update exotic rates will get better and that will help. For now I play what I enjoy in Destiny, the Crucible and playing with friends.

alt subject line: the PS4 clan had a fun event last night

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 21:10 (2015 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I wouldn't say that. Kermit just wanted to do an old raid with PS4 people since he wasn't leveled on PS4. Nothing wrong with that.

This^

For the record, I think the new raid is great, too, and I'd love to be able to play it with you all. And Vinny, most people playing last night couldn't play the new raid if we wanted to. We had enough interest in part because I beat the bushes asking people to play (some said no). I didn't know we'd have enough--at the time I logged on I knew only that Destroyo and Cyber were definite.

Kupkake and Destroyo can play the new raid, and I wouldn't presume they aren't interested. They were the first two people I invited and a big reason I scheduled the event. I raided with them nearly every week for years--I've raided more with those two than anyone else on any platform, and I don't want to stop.

Unfortunately, the streamers won the debate and the new raid is on the other side of a pretty significant grind. it's a shame there's only 24 hours in a day, but that's the crux of it.

I intend to play the new raid on the PS4, but it's going to take awhile to get there. In the meantime I intend to keep scheduling events because of friends I enjoy playing with. I understand your frustration because I've felt it too. If you see me on, and want to help me level up faster, I'd appreciate that!

alt subject line: the PS4 clan had a fun event last night

by TheOmegaClown, Monday, October 29, 2018, 14:37 (2013 days ago) @ Kermit

I'll help you kermit!

by slycrel ⌂, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 23:43 (2015 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I agree, it's a bit dead. I mean, nobody has even done the nightfall yet this week as a clan, according to the engrams.

Quite the ramble ahead, apparently I needed a brain dump. =)

I'm in an odd place with Forsaken. I really like it, but I can tell I'm being worn down even as I wear down the light level curve.

All of my destiny friends have moved on (or moved platforms) since before forsaken. My RL group of friends opted out, so I've mostly found myself devoid of a fireteam, let alone a raid team. And I'm a later evening MDT/MST player, meaning that mostly when I can actually do group things few are available. (I should note there is one friend who may read this that still plays sometimes. But not often. We should keep playing together here and there! :D )

So, solo it has been, for the most part.

It's been an interesting experience. Watching other groups obviously using voice in things like Gambit, Iron Banner, the Blind Well, Escalation protocol, and other places. And being the random blueberry that sometimes is very helpful and sometimes is the clueless wanderer. =)

Being solo doesn't lock you out of progression, but it's not really how the game has been designed around. Everything takes a little longer. PvP is hot and miss solo. PvE is streaky with many events being 540, 560 and 580. Activities like the nightfall are for a regular, consistent fireteam, and aren't really the same as a heroic strike.

Other than a week on vacation, I've played pretty much daily, despite being a functioning adult. I didn't look for leveling guides on the internet because IMO the game should tell me what I need to do... but it doesn't always do a very good job. Due to tips on this board I realized that there were tiers of powerful gear drops only a few weeks ago. I was struggling to get to 560 last week. side note: Horror Story was an amazing boon. I've jumped 20+ light levels this week because of it (and some extra play time I've found myself with).

https://chrisfried.github.io/secret-scrublandeux/guardian/2/4611686018434081936

I'm just now getting to a place where I can really do some of the "end game" content, and even some of that 580 stuff is hard to do solo. (Hello gambit exotic quest)

I like Gambit a lot, I've always thought that mixing PvP and PvE would be a good thing for Destiny, and it is.

I like that I'm still finding new things -- just today in the dreaming city I found a cat while ascendant and gave it an offering, no idea that was a thing. And no idea how I would know.

I like that some creepy skulls give me things in the dreaming city, though I wish I knew why and how that fit in more than just stumbling into it.

I wish I could use my ghost to open doors. The dreaming city reminds me a little of the moon in D1, with its twists and turns, and general layout. I do sometimes get frustrated with the many many doors that do not open, but add to the (sometimes obvious) illusion of space.

Until last week I never knew what to do with the oracle offering. Last week I also finally broke down and looked up how to do the ascendant challenge because I never found that on my own. It's super cool, and I've done that twice now -- last week I knew where to go and what to do because I looked it up, this week I found it on my own and competed it with no guide. I really like exploring and doing the new things organically. I don't love that the expectation is the internet at large is an addition to the game (you miss out on all sorts of helpful things via word of mouth on the net, rather than being guided in-game)

Today I stumbled into the Io taken event and went through the (now old) portal that I was never high enough light level to go in. Pretty amazing area, I made it through blind to just past the open/shut door in the cliffside before I ran out of time. (And thought of the vault, and how I hate heights, and cruel laughing at me in my head because of it. Good times) I am sad that stumbling into this doesn't open up a story mission or something so that I could try it again. I probably could, but it would have to be some luck and a dedicated evening or two.

And, now that I am nearing the 600 mark... I'm finding that destiny has become a game of inventory/bounty management, loading screens, and ticking off "daily" quests in ways that shape my playstyle away from how I'd prefer to play and instead how Bungie imagines I should play. I may or may not do the raid. I don't expect my friends to ever put in the time to get to raid light levels, even if they put in a considerable amount of time. So Forsaken has become my "alone in the crowd" game.

A little depressing when I write it all up like this. I really have enjoyed this expansion. That is tempered some by my playstyle being stretched thin in many ways. It reminds me of WoW's progression a little -- the more refined it gets, the more mathematical and predictable it becomes, with the occasional "WTF this is awesome!" moments. But you have to play the progression system, always, or you're often"wasting" your time.

I've really liked Forsaken in many ways. The end-game progression is almost a very stretched out version of TTK's progression, though much more spaced out with repeated events. It's interesting to me to look at the % of the playerbase who have hit some of the trophies, and what that might mean for content developed. It's obvious to me that forsaken is catering to the hardcore playerbase. I suspect this will continue until D3, where it will be much more casual friendly until it's own expansions.

In a nutshell, and back to the real topic, I think the hardcore component has spread out progression enough for few enough active players that it fizzled out before it could really get started. Which is a shame, because there is an awful lot of good gameplay here, mixed with the repeated events.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 28, 2018, 08:56 (2014 days ago) @ slycrel

You can always join with me when you see I'm on. You might even be farther along than I am (I'm 57x right now). But yeah, I've wanted to try a nightfall score run but everybody says it's stupid. We could do it and have the third be a guided game or something.

This would all be solved with cross platform saves or play. I guess the truth is just that Destiny is not as big or as influential as Fortnite.

A big difference between PlayStation and Xbox...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, October 28, 2018, 12:09 (2014 days ago) @ vtf73

I’ve been reading this thread, and thinking about how it relates back to my own experiences with Foresaken. I play exclusively on Xbox these days (I played D1 primarily on the PS4, and started D2 there. Switched to Xbox right around CoO).

About 90% of my Destiny playtime is spent solo. I play A LOT lately, and I stay very much on top of the latest discoveries via Reddit and YouTube. So I’ve had a pretty good “leveling up” routine going over the past 6-7 weeks. Much of this I could also do on the PS4, save for 1 big difference; the Xbox LFG app. While I spend most of my time playing solo, I do make frequent use of the LFG app, and the specific activities that LFG has allowed me to do have been a big part of my Forsaken experience. Most of my Nightfalls, including plenty of high score runs and several “lets grind for X weapon” sessions (got my Warden’s Law and Masterworked Mindbender’s Ambition that way). My first complete run through the Shatered Throne dungeon, and parts of the Wish-Ender quest. The 6-man strike to get my Malfeasance. Several Ascendant Challenges before I was able to comfortably solo them all. Some Blind Well runs back when everyone was underlevelled to the point where you NEEDED 9 players to beat tier 2.

When I add all of this up, it’s a substantial portion of the road that lead to getting my characters up to 600 faster than I thought possible. And I’ve had a lot of fun with all of these experiences.

Now, there are plenty of LFG options out there. But the thing I like about the Xbox version is that it will run in the background while I’m playing. I don’t need to be checking/interacting with a separate device and a separate UI. I search for the activity that I want to do, reply to a bunch of posts, and then go back to playing while I wait for an invitation to come through. Sometimes the invite comes instantly, sometimes it doesn’t come at all, but either way I’m not sitting staring at a website. I’m playing the game, doing other activities.

Of everything that Sony and Microsoft boast about in the “console wars”, the LFG app integration on Xbox is, for me, by far the biggest difference between the 2 platforms, and a huge feather in Microsoft’s cap. I would be very hard pressed to switch back to Destiny on PlayStation now.

Sony... get on that LFG integration!

I use LFG extensively, completely agree

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, October 28, 2018, 14:04 (2014 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I have a bizarre schedule and often take advantage of a flexible WFH job to fit in raiding when otherwise I spend time cooking or hanging out with my family.

Before XBox LFG, I did some of the D1 raids a few times but not all that often, and never on multiple characters. With D2 and XBox LFG I've done the raid and raid lairs frequently and on multiple characters. It's made it much easier to get into raiding with DBO folk as I was reaching the right LL faster and easier.

by TheOmegaClown, Sunday, October 28, 2018, 18:59 (2014 days ago) @ vtf73

Its taken me a while to level up and the raid times just never synched up with my travel schedule for work so I haven't been around like I have before. Ive got decent level now so hopefully there are still raids because I'd like to jump in and get back to shooting baddies with all of you fine folks

by CommanderCartman, Redmond, WA and Jeddah, SA, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 04:18 (2013 days ago) @ vtf73

I think it was very important to get Destiny 2 right on the first day, and clearly Bungie didn't get it very right.

I'm still shell-shocked from how bad D2 Year One was for the most part, my clan fell apart with Key members leaving the game.

It's me and like 15 other guys left when we used to be 40+ people.

by telemachus, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 10:33 (2012 days ago) @ vtf73

I see plenty of people online when I log in. My grind has been super slow, I just hit the 580's last night due to getting horror story.

I'm super guilty of two things:

1)not sending out invites to play - I'll work on this
2)falling asleep while loading into the tower and missing invites - dad gaming is hard sometimes.

As far as raiding goes, I miss it so much. But I just don't have the kind of freetime to slog for hours through a raid staying up until 2am.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread