Raid Encounter #5 One-Phase *SP* (Destiny)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, October 29, 2018, 06:40 (2013 days ago)

Just... wow. Apparently you can skip climbing up by going to the same room and having appropriate weapons and abilities stacked. If you are still blind, don't watch this as there are spoilers related to what happens after you do a ton of damage.

It's not as easy to coordinate as it seems *SP*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, October 29, 2018, 07:41 (2013 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Timing is quite tight, but I do think it is the least effort. PC LFG players pretty much refuse to do it legit by now, cluster-bomb strat is a must. In fact, I have never been in a group willing to do it legit :(

PS: Sounds like 6-stack Rat King is a VERY good substitute for cluster bombs.

It's not as easy to coordinate as it seems *SP*

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, October 29, 2018, 08:31 (2013 days ago) @ ZackDark

Sounds like you could use a Community Raid Night! ;)

Raid Encounter #5 One-Phase *SP*

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Monday, October 29, 2018, 07:53 (2013 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Just... wow. Apparently you can skip climbing up by going to the same room and having appropriate weapons and abilities stacked. If you are still blind, don't watch this as there are spoilers related to what happens after you do a ton of damage.

I second the "don't watch this if you are blind" - this strat essentially skips all of the encounter's mechanics. I'd recommend getting a clear without this just to be sure you're ready for the inevitable patch from Bungie that makes this not work.

That being said, I've done this and have some suggestions:

• Everyone (except the Titan) should have a void cluster rocket over 590. It must not have tracking - tracking seems to target Riven's eyes and that'll cause a wipe. Farm Gambit until you get a suitable "Bad Omens" that you can add a Boss Spec Mod to, or bring up an old Sins of the Past or Curtain Call if you have it in void.
  • Hunters can use celestial nighthawk/golden gun to get some extra damage in while the tractor cannon is being applied
  • Save a thrall for the Warlock to melee (Guiding Flame).
  • The Titan should be quick - moving to fire tractor cannon the instant Riven appears, so they can drop down and get the Void Wall up quickly.
  • You can set up the well further back than this video; make sure everyone is firing their rockets through the void wall.
  • The void wall, well, and 5 sets of cluster rockets will absolutely kill your frame rate - be ready for that and don't let it affect your aim.
  • Equip a sniper for when you need to do that little bit of final damage after the jumps.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, October 29, 2018, 09:00 (2013 days ago) @ Chappy

I second the "don't watch this if you are blind" - this strat essentially skips all of the encounter's mechanics. I'd recommend getting a clear without this just to be sure you're ready for the inevitable patch from Bungie that makes this not work.

I wonder if Bungie will patch this or not honestly. Morgeth is easily one-phaseable and it's possible to ignore clearing the frozen players as well if you don't mind burning a couple of revives. That also skips the mechanics, but seems to be by-design?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, October 29, 2018, 09:06 (2013 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I wonder if Bungie will patch this or not honestly. Morgeth is easily one-phaseable and it's possible to ignore clearing the frozen players as well if you don't mind burning a couple of revives. That also skips the mechanics, but seems to be by-design?

I kind of hope they do fix it so people can experience the blood, sweat, and tears that our blind raid experienced while trying to do it.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 29, 2018, 09:15 (2013 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I think that’s different.

Morgeth feels almost explicitly designed to be one-phased, in that every subsequent round feels like punishment for failing to kill him by getting more difficult.

So it’s like they know it’s going to be one-phased, but it’s possible to still pull off the encounter through multiple phases if you can really pick up the slack on the next round.

I don’t think any other multi-phase encounter feels quite like that. Kalli doesn’t get harder on subsequent phases. Shuro Chi doesn’t either, arguably. The final floor is arguably more difficult, but I think mostly it’s just different an unexpected with those things extra adds in the last damage phase. But that feels like a natural progression as you climb the tower, and she can’t be one-phased anyway. The Vault doesn’t get more difficult at all, it’s literally the same thing three times as far as I can tell. I didn’t watch that video and I don’t know for sure, but I suspect Riven will be the same thing—just difficult through repetition of complex mechanics, with no real change between rounds.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, October 29, 2018, 09:47 (2013 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think that’s different.

Morgeth feels almost explicitly designed to be one-phased, in that every subsequent round feels like punishment for failing to kill him by getting more difficult.

So it’s like they know it’s going to be one-phased, but it’s possible to still pull off the encounter through multiple phases if you can really pick up the slack on the next round.

I don’t think any other multi-phase encounter feels quite like that. Kalli doesn’t get harder on subsequent phases. Shuro Chi doesn’t either, arguably. The final floor is arguably more difficult, but I think mostly it’s just different an unexpected with those things extra adds in the last damage phase. But that feels like a natural progression as you climb the tower, and she can’t be one-phased anyway. The Vault doesn’t get more difficult at all, it’s literally the same thing three times as far as I can tell. I didn’t watch that video and I don’t know for sure, but I suspect Riven will be the same thing—just difficult through repetition of complex mechanics, with no real change between rounds.

The Vault does indeed get more difficult -- Starts with one Sword Knight spawning with the first Eye of Riven Captain, then two, then three.

The Shuro Chi and and Morgeth encounters both go up in difficulty from thrall on wave one to psions on wave two to acolytes on wave three.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 29, 2018, 10:17 (2013 days ago) @ Speedracer513

The Vault has three rounds of three waves each. The waves get harder because of the Knights, but each actual round is the same. I think Shuro Chi does get more difficult as you climb the tower, but not in the same way Morgeth does. Shuro Chi just gives you different enemy combos as you climb, which doesn’t really translate one to one as more difficult. It’s just different. Morgeth gives you more to deal with, in the form of more Taken energy to have to deal with, which makes things feel more hectic in a way that I don’t think the other encounters do.

In any case, those other two encounters can’t be one-phased, so you can’t really read that escalation as punishment. Morgeth can pretty easily be one-phased, and the escalation feels like a second chance mechanic almost.

I guess I can’t say with confidence that it was explicitly designed to be one-phased with second chance rounds. But I do feel confident in saying they’re okay that it can be one-phased, because there’s zero chance they didn’t test the encounter with a team of Whispers and Sleepers and realize how easy it is.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, October 29, 2018, 10:29 (2013 days ago) @ cheapLEY

because there’s zero chance they didn’t test the encounter with a team of Whispers and Sleepers and realize how easy it is.

I think it's cute that you believe that. :P

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, October 29, 2018, 13:17 (2013 days ago) @ Chappy

the inevitable patch from Bungie that makes this not work.

I don't see how they could without completely removing our ability to damage her without shooting out the zits out of the final phase.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, October 29, 2018, 13:37 (2013 days ago) @ ZackDark

Damage gates where she goes Immune until the next room.

On the topic of the 5th Raid encounter (spoilers)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, October 29, 2018, 13:25 (2013 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I don't like this encounter. Not at all. But not due to anything mechanically wrong with it. I haven't even played it yet (yes, I know... hear me out). I'm sure that from a mechanical/teamwork/coordination point of view, its great.

Here's my problem with it. This is our first encounter with a Dragon in Destiny. A DRAGON. When I found out that we were finally going to be able to take our guardians up against a Dragon, my imagination took off will all kinds of amazing scenarios and set-pieces and images. What we actually got is... well... its not what fighting a freaking dragon in Destiny should be like.

I made some comments a while back about how I felt like the raid team was coming dangerously close to "jumping the shark". This encounter was the specific thing I was talking about, but I didn't want to say anything more because most of the DBO clan was staying blind on the whole thing. So I didn't want to get into it at the time. But now I can finally vent, lol.

The whole boss fight runs completely counter to the sort of thing I would hope for and expect, given the narrative situation we are in at that point. Why are we filtering into small rooms and calling out symbols and shooting weak points on a head or hand that pops into view from time to time, rather than battling a massive, flying creature that moves and dives and chases us around a grand, open environment? It's such a bummer to get all the way to the end of this raid and never feel like we've truly battled a dragon.

The final encounter actually reminds me a lot of the sort of thing you'd see in earlier videogames that were trying to convey struggles against foes that couldn't be properly created within the technology available at the time. Like the old Jurassic Park game on the Genesis, which boasted about featuring battles against the T-Rex, except they couldn't actually model and animate a whole T-Rex, so they just had it's head pop through the bushes at you from time to time.

Anyway, that's my very silly and self-inflicted problem with this encounter. I'll go back to my corner now :)

I actually kinda agree

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, October 29, 2018, 13:43 (2013 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Mechanically it's a fun encounter.

But it had way more potential in terms of it being a setpiece and something really unique.

+1

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, October 29, 2018, 14:24 (2013 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I have the same problem with the Vault encounter. Conceptually, opening the vault isn't a bad idea, and I'm ok with taken spawning to try to stop you from opening the vault, but if they are doing that why are they also bringing the KEY with them? That just makes no sense. I liked how the original leviathan raid gave you a reason for everything you are doing, but for this raid it's like they just didn't care enough to do that.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 29, 2018, 14:29 (2013 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So I actually just don’t like this encounter. I haven’t finished the whole thing, but I think I can see where it’s going. I have been spoiled on the final thing you have to do, which seems neat.

I’m just over the callout stuff. Calling out symbols no one else can see just isn’t that interesting. It the least interesting way to demand teamwork and communication. It’s not even that interesting or fun to problem solve. When figuring out the puzzle turns into taking a screenshot so we can agree on a way to number 12 spots in a room for callouts, or agreeing what to call one of four distinct snakes, I think a wrong turn has been taken somewhere in terms of design. It’s convoluted for the sake of being convoluted. It’s challenge by way of being tedious, and it’s just not fun.

That’s without considering that you’re right—fighting a huge dragon should be way cooler than it is. I’m

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, October 29, 2018, 15:03 (2013 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So I actually just don’t like this encounter. I haven’t finished the whole thing, but I think I can see where it’s going. I have been spoiled on the final thing you have to do, which seems neat.

I’m just over the callout stuff. Calling out symbols no one else can see just isn’t that interesting. It the least interesting way to demand teamwork and communication. It’s not even that interesting or fun to problem solve. When figuring out the puzzle turns into taking a screenshot so we can agree on a way to number 12 spots in a room for callouts, or agreeing what to call one of four distinct snakes, I think a wrong turn has been taken somewhere in terms of design. It’s convoluted for the sake of being convoluted. It’s challenge by way of being tedious, and it’s just not fun.

That’s without considering that you’re right—fighting a huge dragon should be way cooler than it is. I’m

By the end, everything was fine. We largely knew our callouts and could do them quickly and efficiently. But... yeah... having my laptop in front of me with a pair of annotated .pngs (one of the eyes, one for the in-room positions) did seem a bit much. Even though the Riven encounter was fine... I think the Argos encounters were at least as on-the-fly challenging but were also more fun because they were less tediously complex...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, October 29, 2018, 14:55 (2013 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I don't like this encounter. Not at all. But not due to anything mechanically wrong with it. I haven't even played it yet (yes, I know... hear me out). I'm sure that from a mechanical/teamwork/coordination point of view, its great.

Here's my problem with it. This is our first encounter with a Dragon in Destiny. A DRAGON. When I found out that we were finally going to be able to take our guardians up against a Dragon, my imagination took off will all kinds of amazing scenarios and set-pieces and images. What we actually got is... well... its not what fighting a freaking dragon in Destiny should be like.

I made some comments a while back about how I felt like the raid team was coming dangerously close to "jumping the shark". This encounter was the specific thing I was talking about, but I didn't want to say anything more because most of the DBO clan was staying blind on the whole thing. So I didn't want to get into it at the time. But now I can finally vent, lol.

The whole boss fight runs completely counter to the sort of thing I would hope for and expect, given the narrative situation we are in at that point. Why are we filtering into small rooms and calling out symbols and shooting weak points on a head or hand that pops into view from time to time, rather than battling a massive, flying creature that moves and dives and chases us around a grand, open environment? It's such a bummer to get all the way to the end of this raid and never feel like we've truly battled a dragon.

The final encounter actually reminds me a lot of the sort of thing you'd see in earlier videogames that were trying to convey struggles against foes that couldn't be properly created within the technology available at the time. Like the old Jurassic Park game on the Genesis, which boasted about featuring battles against the T-Rex, except they couldn't actually model and animate a whole T-Rex, so they just had it's head pop through the bushes at you from time to time.

Anyway, that's my very silly and self-inflicted problem with this encounter. I'll go back to my corner now :)

Yeah, the encounter is fun once you get the hang of it. Our group liked it a lot more than the final boss encounter of Spire, for instance. Personally, I think it was a lot better than things like the Crota fight as well, where only one or two people really did anything useful.

You didn't mention it, but the encounter also has a pretty strong standing in the Lore. Having Riven be in a vault with limited access to the outside was important to Mara Sov. Essentially, Mara locked Riven away and then encouraged and provided resources to the Guardians for their Great Ahamkara Hunt. End result being that the Awoken were in possession of the last Ahamkara.

The Raid also ties into the symbols and the wall of wishes that the Awoken used in-Lore to make wishes that Riven would fulfill. The symbols were a symbolic language that... more or less... tried to remove the ambiguity that Ahamkara like Riven would use to twist and spoil the wishes.

There is also likely stuff still coming in Forsaken and more stuff coming beyond Forsaken that makes what we do in the Raid relevant. So, from a Lore point of view, this Raid was very strong.

On the other hand:

"You're sure you want to keep on with the axe?" Efrideet asked, reloading her rifle. The voice in her comms was barely winded, even as the Iron Lord leapt to avoid a plume of white-hot fire.

"That's why she gave it to me, I'm one of the only…" A globule of flame licked past Efrideet's helmet, and she tugged at her clasp, shrugging free the now-burning cloak. "Why in the Traveler's crack did you wish to fight an actual DRAGON, old man?"

Saladin Forge grinned inside his helmet. The enormous wyrm towered above them, bleeding wounds covering its gleaming scales as it reared up for another breath. The massive axe in his hands was dented, scarred, and melted at the tip. But it still held an edge. "We are knights, Lady Efrideet. Do you not want to be a dragon slayer?"

He charged, and his words could barely be heard over the creature's cry. "We are what we survive!"

Why don't we get to have THAT kind of fun?

I'd guess part of it is indeed technical. Can Destiny support something a large and freeform as you are looking for? Maybe not. But there's also a fun/challenge factor to consider. A Raid is supposed to be about teamwork. Having a fast moving swooping enemy would almost certainly increase the difficulty of making a compelling encounter.

Out of curiosity, can you think of any grand game encounters you wish Destiny would model boss fights after? Like... what's the best of the best?

The 5th encounter, bosses, and Raids in general

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, October 29, 2018, 17:28 (2013 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Out of curiosity, can you think of any grand game encounters you wish Destiny would model boss fights after? Like... what's the best of the best?

It’s a tough question. I can think of plenty of boss encounters that I like, but that doesn’t mean they’d work for Destiny. I think a good boss fight plays to the strengths of the game.The scarab battles in Halo 3, David in The Last of Us, fighting a Thunderjaw in Horizon Zero Dawn, The Stranger in God of War (or for that matter, the Dragon in God of War... heck, every boss fight in God of War).

There’s also the distinction between a Destiny boss and a Destiny Raid boss. As you pointed out, teamwork and communication are generally the primary considerations within a Destiny raid boss encounter. However, I would argue that the balance has tipped in a way that is making many of these raid encounters less enjoyable over time. To Cheapley’s point, the prevalence of callout-dependant mechanics has taken away from the social aspect of these activities. Back in the early D1 days, the PS4 group was raiding at least 3-4 times per week, and very little of that time was spent discussing the raid itself. It was the virtual “poker night” activity. That can’t actually happen with many of the more recent raid encounters. Half the time someone starts talking in the Leviathan, they’re instantly silenced by the rest of the team so that everyone can hear callouts.

Another element that I feel has shifted for the worse is the balance between encounter complexity and role-based execution. The teamwork that came into play in VoG or Crota often cane down to “I have a void machine gun, so I’ll take the Preatorians that attack the plate, you can self-red so you go get the relic, you’ve got a bubble so guard the back steps”, etc. Then everyone jumps into action and the encounter plays out with minimal callouts. Now, many of the encounters feel like clockwork. If an experienced group is taking someone new through VoG, they can guide them through each section by assigning them relatively simple roles and tasks. “Stand here and kill ads until I give the signal, then move here and kill ads”. Or “stand on this plate until I say so”, followed by “ok, now follow me up here”, then “now go pick up that sword and run across the bridge”. You could often guide players through an encounter on the fly, because they didn’t need to understand the full workings of the encounter. In contrast, taking a new player through pretty much any raid since Kings Fall involves 15-20 minutes of exposition at the entrance of each major area while the newbie is bombarded by dozens of little rules and intricacies and the rest of the group stands around waiting. It kills any momentum, and turns each raid into a bit of a slog. That’s not to say that I don’t enjoy the newer raids, but I have noticed a direct inverse relationship between the complexity of a raid and my desire to replay it repeatedly over time.

Going back to your initial question, I think about the moments in previous raids that really stand out in my mind as quinticential Destiny experiences.I remember doing the Confluxes for the first time, and how thrilling it was to be part of a 6-man fireteam as we formed up in a line and unleashed everything we had at the column of Vex rushing up the stairs towards us. I remember the long jump into the dark. Sprinting through the abyss and fighting off the horde with our backs to the forming bridge. For all the mechanics at play, both Atheon and Crota felt like fights, not puzzles. I miss that. I want raid encounters that feel like combat with an extra layer of mechanics worked into them, rather than choreographed theatre with some combat mixed in.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 29, 2018, 21:17 (2013 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Going back to your initial question, I think about the moments in previous raids that really stand out in my mind as quinticential Destiny experiences.I remember doing the Confluxes for the first time, and how thrilling it was to be part of a 6-man fireteam as we formed up in a line and unleashed everything we had at the column of Vex rushing up the stairs towards us. I remember the long jump into the dark. Sprinting through the abyss and fighting off the horde with our backs to the forming bridge. For all the mechanics at play, both Atheon and Crota felt like fights, not puzzles. I miss that. I want raid encounters that feel like combat with an extra layer of mechanics worked into them, rather than choreographed theatre with some combat mixed in.

You nailed my thoughts almost exactly.

Shuro Chi is a great encounter because of that aspect, I think. It's like the inverse of holding off the waves of Hive as you build the bridge. It feels like this cool assault as you fight your way up the tower. The timer mechanic works so brilliantly in the Shuro Chi encounter for me, because it helps make that fight up the tower feel desperate, even if it's not really all that difficult at the end of the day. That time restriction makes it feel epic and intense in a way that it probably wouldn't otherwise.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 05:19 (2012 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You nailed my thoughts almost exactly.

Shuro Chi is a great encounter because of that aspect, I think. It's like the inverse of holding off the waves of Hive as you build the bridge. It feels like this cool assault as you fight your way up the tower. The timer mechanic works so brilliantly in the Shuro Chi encounter for me, because it helps make that fight up the tower feel desperate, even if it's not really all that difficult at the end of the day. That time restriction makes it feel epic and intense in a way that it probably wouldn't otherwise.

Yes, totally. I like that encounter a lot as well. It also allows for designated role-playing. When I ran that encounter with Kermit’s group, I didn’t fully understand the symbol/plate mechanics, and I didn’t need to. I was dealing with other things (clearing ads). I was still able to act as the backup plate guy if one of the main plate people needed to switch. They’d just tell me which plate needed covering and I’d run and do it.

Eventually, I’ll learn the intricacies of the whole encounter, and that will make me a more effective raider. But for my first run through, the limited scope of the details I personally needed to keep track of meant I was able to do my job very well.

*Riven Spoilers Below*

I spent 2.5 hours fighting Riven last night, and it only reinforced my opinion. That encounter is awful. It’s not even fun on a pure mechanical level. It’s all positioning of hidden symbols, calling out numbered targets, running from bland room to bland room. Neither the boss nor our guardians feel powerful in that fight. I still want to master it just so I can beat the whole raid, but man is it a far cry from the days when raiding was the part of the game I loved most.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, November 03, 2018, 12:14 (2008 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So over the past couple of days, I've done 2 complete Last Wish Raids with LFG groups. Both times, I asked the question "are we planning on beating Riven legit?", and the response both times was nothing but laughter from the group. Scrolling through the list of available Last Wish posts on the LFG app, almost every single post mentions "cheese" or "cluster rockets" in the description. It seems that the community at large has collectively decided "nah, we're not doing that" when it comes to the final boss' mechanics. In the case of my LFG groups, it certainly wasn't an issue of lack of skill or experience. Both groups ripped through the raid with little difficulty. It wasn't that they were afraid of the challenge. The common opinion seemed to be that the Riven fight is just too long, too fiddly, and not fun.

Obviously, these are just opinions from the people I happened to run into. But it does make me wonder about what might happen if/when Bungie eventually patches the encounter to prevent the cheese strategy. I wonder how many people will still bother to complete it? We've had cheeses in raid encounters before, but this Riven cheese is somewhat unique. Previous cheeses (Templar, Atheon, Bridge) were only arguably easier and not really any faster (I believe the bridge cheese was actually slower than doing it legit). But the Riven cheese makes the encounter far shorter than doing a proper run. We're talking bringing it from a ~15 minute run down to ~3 minutes, and that's without considering the fact that doing a "proper" run introduces way more opportunities to fail the encounter.

Right now, for people who have already completed the raid, the main motivation to complete it again seems to be for the chance to get 1000 Voices (I'm basing this off the very small number of players I've interacted with, along with some of the discussions I'm reading on reddit). Raid loot in general is something that plenty of players appear to remain excited about, but all the loot aside from 1000 Voices can be obtained from the earlier encounters. It wouldn't surprise me if we get to a point where the average LFG group just plays up to Riven and then stops (if the cheese gets patched).

I'm curious if anyone else is running into this attitude? Is there anyone else who runs with LFG groups that enjoy doing the full encounter?

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, November 03, 2018, 17:13 (2008 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I’ll be interested to see what happens.

It really feels like Bungie forgot that raids should be fun first for Riven, and focused on making it challenging. But as I said previously, it’s not really challenging in any interesting way, it’s just tedious.

It’s a shame, because I think the rest of the raid is really great.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread