Getting new fans into Bungie Culture is Critical. (Destiny)

by CommanderCartman, Redmond, WA and Jeddah, SA, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 04:30 (2012 days ago)

Hi all,

I emailed our friendly neighborhood community manager, DeeJ about how Bungie and the community team aren't integrating the Destiny fans into the Bungie community like they were in the Halo days.

People like old man Claude Errera (crazy to think he's as old as my mom) found their place in the community and it felt a lot more like a home than it does now.

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/10973/7_Choose-the-Mail-Sack

the last time fans mailed in questions and got developer reactions was 5 years ago.

The last time Bungie publicly reported their pentathlon was also almost 5 years ago.
https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/11435

The little things like having developers and community interact like this is what made Bungie feel awesome.

I started playing Halo when I was a child, and as Halo 3 was mid-way through it's life-span I watched clips and read the forums, always. (WE NEED THEATER IN DESTINY C'MON BUNGIE!!!!)

Everyone I play Destiny with on the daily except for one guy never played Halo and doesn't view Bungie the same way I'm sure a lot of us do.

I think it's SOOOOO important to have that sort of house/warm community bond. I definitely feel like because this forum is smaller however, it does feel a lot more like home (I've been reading here for quite a bit =) )

Anyways, just my two cents. I'm not some Bungie nostalgic guy that believes the company is dead, but I just felt like sharing my two cents on what's important.

See you gentlemen star-side,
PSN: CommanderCartmen

Getting new fans into Bungie Culture is Critical.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 06:25 (2012 days ago) @ CommanderCartman

I assume you've played Marathon?

by CommanderCartman, Redmond, WA and Jeddah, SA, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 06:30 (2012 days ago) @ narcogen

I have, but not when it was popular. I played it around 2010 to understand the past, but Halo was my jam growing up. I love Marathon, I actually enjoyed the second more than the first.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 07:21 (2012 days ago) @ CommanderCartman

I have, but not when it was popular. I played it around 2010 to understand the past, but Halo was my jam growing up. I love Marathon, I actually enjoyed the second more than the first.

No argument here. Marathon 2 is awesome.

Your opinions are objectively correct.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 23:22 (2012 days ago) @ CommanderCartman

I actually enjoyed the second more than the first.

by CommanderCartman, Redmond, WA and Jeddah, SA, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 06:35 (2012 days ago) @ narcogen

Remember.... I was born long after Bungie was founded... hell even Marathon is older than me (that gives you perspective) but I admire Marathon. Myth and Myth 2 however is still incredible and in my humble opinion aged far better than Marathon and Marathon 2: Durandal and Marathon Infinity.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 07:21 (2012 days ago) @ CommanderCartman

Remember.... I was born long after Bungie was founded... hell even Marathon is older than me (that gives you perspective) but I admire Marathon. Myth and Myth 2 however is still incredible and in my humble opinion aged far better than Marathon and Marathon 2: Durandal and Marathon Infinity.

Offtopic.. but are you the same "CommanderCartman" in the Apple discord?

by CommanderCartman, Redmond, WA and Jeddah, SA, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 08:39 (2012 days ago) @ narcogen

YES THAT WAS ME!!!

WHAT A SMALL WORLD HOLY SH** THAT IS ME!!

I WAS WATCHING THE STREAM AND FREAKING OUT!!

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 08:45 (2012 days ago) @ CommanderCartman

YES THAT WAS ME!!!

WHAT A SMALL WORLD HOLY SH** THAT IS ME!!

I WAS WATCHING THE STREAM AND FREAKING OUT!!

Yeah, pretty good stream. Nice to see the mini finally get a decent update.

The mini got an update!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 09:49 (2012 days ago) @ narcogen

[Opens new tab right away]

The mini got an update!

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 10:23 (2012 days ago) @ Kermit

[Opens new tab right away]

Yup! If I wasn't still holding on to a cheese grater I'd be quite tempted.

Been looking forward to this for quite some time...

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 10:24 (2012 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Been looking forward to this for quite some time...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 19:00 (2012 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I've not been a fan of their direction for a while, but damn, they've got like five products I want right now.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 11:57 (2005 days ago) @ CommanderCartman
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 12:02

Remember.... I was born long after Bungie was founded... hell even Marathon is older than me (that gives you perspective)

I feel like those of us who would understand the horror of the phrase "Please insert the final segment of the archive" when trying to install Marathon, are dying out.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 08:10 (2012 days ago) @ CommanderCartman
edited by ManKitten, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 08:13

I think it's just a different time. Social and internet culture was different in the Bungie/Halo days. Reddit wasn't really a "thing" yet so fans that wanted to interact had the Bungie forums or sites like HBO. There was a lot of back and forth respect shared. Now people just get online and piss & moan about everything. Why would Bungie want to interact with that?

The coolest fan interaction I've experienced was after they introduced theater mode they held a wallpaper contest. I don't remember who reached out to me afterwards but apparently I was one of the few that designed a wallpaper for his monitor layout and with proper margins. And my arrogance made him laugh, so he sent me a picture of my wallpaper on his computer. (I didn't win the contest [Recon Armor] but I still have this picture and story, and anyone can haz recon now.)

[image]

For this reason, I insist that all cat related imaging in Bungie games is made specifically for me. (O_O)

And one time Frankie joined a custom game I was playing around in by myself. He said nothing and left within 30 seconds.

My point though, I think the community has changed more than Bungie has.

by CommanderCartman, Redmond, WA and Jeddah, SA, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 08:42 (2012 days ago) @ ManKitten

I think things have changed a lot, it's gotten far larger and also fragmented. The player base is split into three isolated places right, and I really do feel that especially now. I like DBO though, feels small and I like that

Redditors nerfed the bungie-org star

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 10:17 (2012 days ago) @ ManKitten

I saw you on the internet in ninety-nine
Clicking thru discussions one post at a time
Even dial-up didn't stop your online shrine
oh a oh

They took the credit for your next community
Directed by upvotes on new technology
And now I understand the problems you can see
oh a oh

I met your clanmates
oh a oh

What did you tell them?

Shitposts came and broke your heart
oh, a, a, a, oh

And now we meet on an abandoned BB code
We read the story page and it seems so long ago
And you remember how Cody used to go...
oh a oh

"It wasn't canon"

In my posts and in my heart, we can't go back we've gone too far
oh, a, a, a, oh
oh, a, a, a, oh

Shitposts came and broke your heart
Things online now are too bizarre

by CommanderCartman, Redmond, WA and Jeddah, SA, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 10:50 (2012 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I don't like Destiny Reddit very much

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 11:01 (2012 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

This is truly great. Good job!

(I also forgot to mention that my first post on HBO was 14 years ago yesterday. I'm just as clueless now as I was then.)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 09:18 (2011 days ago) @ ManKitten

This is truly great. Good job!

(I also forgot to mention that my first post on HBO was 14 years ago yesterday. I'm just as clueless now as I was then.)

Congrats! You made me look for my first HBO post (which was [gulp!] a month and a half into the new millennium). I was clueless, too, but isn't it amazing that connections to a community can last so long?

by CommanderCartman, Redmond, WA and Jeddah, SA, Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 12:11 (2011 days ago) @ Kermit

Crazy to think I was in some freezer a month and in a half into the millennium. Crazy shit. Yet here I am talking

Parent should be post of the year for DBO

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 11:10 (2012 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

This needs to be recorded.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 11:41 (2012 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

IMPORTANT! RESPONSE FROM DEEJ!

by CommanderCartman, Redmond, WA and Jeddah, SA, Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 00:33 (2012 days ago) @ Claude Errera

hey all i just used caps to get your attention I hope it works,

DeeJ replied to my email but I was studying for my International Baccalaureate Environmental Systems and Society exam so I didn't respond until later.

Here is what he wrote;
Thank you for the thoughts here. I agree that we can always go better.

I don’t think the Destiny community wants to see us take a day off and play games, but there many other ways than Pentathlon for us to humanize the people who make our games. The Halo era was a simpler time. Destiny requires more service than swagger.

I have a stronger team to work with now. I’ll let them know what you think!

David Dague

[Known Alias: DeeJ]

Communications Director

BUNGIE

I honestly disagree with him, I think watching devs geek out on stuff that they love just as much as ourselves makes a bond.

I know a few people at Bungie, and it feels like some sterile hospital from the Bungie Forums even though internally it's pretty laid back and I had a lot of fun there last year when I spent the day there.

Let gamers in on the Bungie Culture, tell them fabled stories of fun times in development, let gamers and developers geek out TOGETHER!, tell them about events that happen, empowering fans and humanizing game developers is SO important!!!

Disagree.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 03:18 (2011 days ago) @ CommanderCartman

Let gamers in on the Bungie Culture, tell them fabled stories of fun times in development, let gamers and developers geek out TOGETHER!, tell them about events that happen, empowering fans and humanizing game developers is SO important!!!

You know, I don't know if it is.

It's important for us. We die hards are always a small segment of the population, and there's no doubt that things like pentathlon reporting and Mig's Bungie Sightings allowed us to be hardcore geeks and follow the developers, but with Facebook and Twitter and Xbox Live, it isn't needed anymore.

Unfortunately, due to the largely individualized nature of that stuff, that means that the superfans don't get to congregate as much, and when they do, there is no big hub.

I would argue that it's not needed, though. Many games and gaming companies have absolute butt tier communities and are very successful. Just as many have had major problems due to dummy developers and spokesmen shooting their mouths off. So, yes, I continue to buy Bungie games based on community, but how many can they count on for that? Maybe a few thousand. Those are good numbers, but how many would they lose from internet outrage merchants over on Reddit or the moron gaming writers talking about how far up their own ass they are by reporting on such a thing as the Pentathlon? Probably more than a few thousand, as the hearsay will get around and people will be hesitant to try their games.

They're running damage control all the time now, and, while that hurts us, the die hards, it probably serves their company well in the long run.

As deeJ said, times are changing. The game doesn't need a Frogblast (or indeed a Rockslider) trying to figure out new ways to break it. It doesn't need a core group of superfans always playing and extolling its virtues.

The game is designed to be infinitely playable. It has rewards. It is online only. It's necessarily limited. Few of the things that kept us coming back to Halo are in Destiny, and Destiny very much has new and unfathomably more effective methods of player retention than a core group of big fans.

In other words, they don't need us: they have the grind.

You're not wrong

by CommanderCartman, Redmond, WA and Jeddah, SA, Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 04:44 (2011 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Bravo!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 11:48 (2012 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

I lold.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 23:26 (2012 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

Hey, ManKitten...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 16:17 (2012 days ago) @ ManKitten

Got your Ennead emblem yet?

Hey, ManKitten...

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 06:00 (2011 days ago) @ Korny

Got your Ennead emblem yet?

oooOOOoohh do need! I still need a cat ghost too. I've not had much time to play the last week or so, I'm falling behind!

Thanks for the heads up :)

There's a cat ghost for sale this week :)

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 10:54 (2011 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

There's a cat ghost for sale this week :)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 11:26 (2011 days ago) @ marmot 1333

[image]

LL Cool M

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, November 01, 2018, 05:53 (2010 days ago) @ Korny

Seems my new ghost is getting attention with the ladies.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/mankitten/video/62922468

Lol

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 01, 2018, 07:28 (2010 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

Hey, ManKitten...

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 12:42 (2005 days ago) @ Korny

Kitty Cat Emblem acquired.

Time to move on to the next cat related item...whatever it may be.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 21:42 (2012 days ago) @ CommanderCartman
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 21:50

We are on our own largely. I don't think you realize the leash around everybody at Bungie now.

When I reached out to Bungie for my book, they didn't just tell me no thanks. They literally said this:

We wouldn't want anyone making any unauthorized statements.

So draconian sounding. This was after making it clear I would have no problem talking to people with a PR person in the room, with the questions and topics of interest given out ahead of time. Of course, this just means the people there who have spoken to me have done so in a completely unauthorized manner.

This isn't just a special case. Many people have told me that the culture at Bungie has shifted. I believe it. Every community interaction is monitored and calculated. There's too much at stake. One slip up telling people they'll throw money at the screen, and the media is all over your shit.

Microsoft 'tolerated' Bungie because they thought they needed them for Halo. Activision has no such hang up. Eric Hirshberg used to be in advertising (he did the famous Who Killed Laura Palmer campaign for Twin Peaks), and there was absolutely tension about how to reach fans for maximum effectiveness. Notice how Bungie never posts here anymore.

Also fun fact: I had a letter to the webmaster published. It's on Archive.org somewhere. Search for 'carefree innocence'.

To add to this...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 22:27 (2012 days ago) @ Cody Miller

We are on our own largely. I don't think you realize the leash around everybody at Bungie now.

When I reached out to Bungie for my book, they didn't just tell me no thanks. They literally said this:

We wouldn't want anyone making any unauthorized statements.

So draconian sounding. This was after making it clear I would have no problem talking to people with a PR person in the room, with the questions and topics of interest given out ahead of time. Of course, this just means the people there who have spoken to me have done so in a completely unauthorized manner.

This isn't just a special case. Many people have told me that the culture at Bungie has shifted. I believe it. Every community interaction is monitored and calculated. There's too much at stake. One slip up telling people they'll throw money at the screen, and the media is all over your shit.

Microsoft 'tolerated' Bungie because they thought they needed them for Halo. Activision has no such hang up. Eric Hirshberg used to be in advertising (he did the famous Who Killed Laura Palmer campaign for Twin Peaks), and there was absolutely tension about how to reach fans for maximum effectiveness. Notice how Bungie never posts here anymore.

Also fun fact: I had a letter to the webmaster published. It's on Archive.org somewhere. Search for 'carefree innocence'.

The above TL;DR is... Shareholders! - F you, I've got mine! Bungie is contractually "part" of Activation, a publicly traded company. Ok-Ok! Not the right words... but the jest is there. It's all connected and it's farly safe to say that no one wants to scare the money. On top of the... the internet of now is not the internet of then. Clearly.

There is nothing more Game Devs would LOVE to do then geek out about what they love, with out question. It's just... the environment often doesn't allow it. The internet has an amplifying effect that can turn anything into a hair trigger. It's a shame. Seeing posts like this, have always been a cool thing.

It's just a shame it's all been made to this.

Wait..Isn't Jason Jones the majority shareholder of Bungie?

by CommanderCartman, Redmond, WA and Jeddah, SA, Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 00:53 (2012 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I could've sworn that Jones is the majority share-holder of Bungie and and has by far the most power within the company.

Oh wait, oh wait, I think I'm dumb, what, I'm so stupid, I thought I read Bungie for a sec never mind.

I guess that Bungie does have to bend their back over in favor of their corporate overlords.

CodyMiller wait what book?

by CommanderCartman, Redmond, WA and Jeddah, SA, Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 00:46 (2012 days ago) @ Cody Miller

title

He's writing a book that may eventually be published

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 03:23 (2011 days ago) @ CommanderCartman

He's writing some kind of book about Bungie. I'm very interested in reading it whenever it's done, but it's taking a while.

It's a bit KORHAL at this point, but Cody has always put his money where his mouth is on this type of thing. And even KORHAL eventually produced the goods, so don't worry.

I wanna read that book one day!

by CommanderCartman, Redmond, WA and Jeddah, SA, Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 04:45 (2011 days ago) @ Funkmon

It sounds to be very very cool, I like the idea.

I wanna read it one day Cody. I'll be a buyer!

So what you're saying is....brothervance.jpg

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 07:02 (2011 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

He's writing a book that may eventually be published

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 20:35 (2011 days ago) @ Funkmon

He's writing some kind of book about Bungie. I'm very interested in reading it whenever it's done, but it's taking a while.

Once again, it takes a very long time to research this kind of thing. Masters of Doom took six years for example. I've been at it for 2 while having a real job at the same time.

Someone can say something, which opens up a whole rabbit hole of investigation and research.

Those were simpler times

by aftercompletion, Friday, November 02, 2018, 15:38 (2009 days ago) @ CommanderCartman

Pleased to report that Pentathlon is still very much a thing here. Best way to get nuggets about things like Pentathlon (these days) is to follow developers on Twitter.

Contrary to what you may have heard, not every community interaction is monitored and calculated.

Yes they were.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, November 02, 2018, 17:20 (2009 days ago) @ aftercompletion

Always are I suppose.

Thank you.

Those were simpler times

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 05, 2018, 10:49 (2006 days ago) @ aftercompletion

Pleased to report that Pentathlon is still very much a thing here. Best way to get nuggets about things like Pentathlon (these days) is to follow developers on Twitter.

Or Bungie could choose to share these things with me to put into the book. That way they will be codified forever instead of lost in the twittersphere :-p

Look at Blizzcon

by cheapLEY @, Monday, November 05, 2018, 07:37 (2006 days ago) @ CommanderCartman

It’s a perfect example of why game devs aren’t more open. Blizzard had the audacity to announce a mobile game and a bunch of idiot babies collectively shit their pants about it in outrage.

Why would anyone willingly engage with that?

Look at Blizzcon

by marmot 1333 @, Monday, November 05, 2018, 09:36 (2006 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I've only read about it a little bit, but it is a staggering example of an entitlement mentality. Why is this so predominant in videogame fandom?

Look at Blizzcon

by Harmanimus @, Monday, November 05, 2018, 10:00 (2006 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Not to get too socio-political, but a lot of it is related to thr gender and “social standing” of people who were able to play video games. The entitlement in communities is usually directly related to the toxicity toward people who aren’t the core entitled demographic. Even if women make up about half of all game players there is still toxicity because they are not that core entitled group.

Usually the entitled group is made up of “that guys” and are self professed fans of things. This walks hand-in-hand with gatekeeping because if you are not like them you must not be a real fan. So the moment you make an accessible product not catering to their desires then you done goofed and the vitriol will spill. You get that in movies and comics and tabletop communities a lot, too. It is all bad.

Look at Blizzcon

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 05, 2018, 10:43 (2006 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Usually the entitled group is made up of “that guys” and are self professed fans of things. This walks hand-in-hand with gatekeeping because if you are not like them you must not be a real fan. So the moment you make an accessible product not catering to their desires then you done goofed and the vitriol will spill.

This was my biggest failing years ago, focusing on 'hardcore' games that offered challenge and depth and decrying everything else. The truth is that casual games are fine, and challenge is absolutely not the only way to create an immersive experience. People who play casual games are real 'gamers' or whatever you want to say. It was wrong and I was wrong.

The issue now is of the game design itself becoming abusive, exploitative, or jumping on trends with no real regard for how those trends impact quality. Let's face it, mobile games by their very nature have so many fundamental problems, at least I would argue. So choosing to make an AAA game for mobile is in my opinion a colossal waste creatively. So I can understand the disappointment, because those resources could have made a better game.

Look at Blizzcon

by Harmanimus @, Monday, November 05, 2018, 10:50 (2006 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But was that “other game” the game they wanted to make? Just because many developers are [explitives] regarding their development and the exploitation of the customer base does not mean that all mobile games and developers do so. A lot of mobile monetization models are questionable. But that doesn’t mean the platform isn’t viable for more major experiences.

There's way more to it than that

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, November 05, 2018, 13:40 (2006 days ago) @ Harmanimus
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Monday, November 05, 2018, 13:47

Not to get too socio-political, but a lot of it is related to thr gender and “social standing” of people who were able to play video games. The entitlement in communities is usually directly related to the toxicity toward people who aren’t the core entitled demographic. Even if women make up about half of all game players there is still toxicity because they are not that core entitled group.

Usually the entitled group is made up of “that guys” and are self professed fans of things. This walks hand-in-hand with gatekeeping because if you are not like them you must not be a real fan. So the moment you make an accessible product not catering to their desires then you done goofed and the vitriol will spill. You get that in movies and comics and tabletop communities a lot, too. It is all bad.

This is the exact kind of explanation that you get when you begin with an ideological presupposition, then work backwards to fit everything into it. Is "entitlement" part of the issue? Absolutely, in some cases, to varying degrees. But there are a load of things going on here.

First and foremost, we're dealing with the internet, and the negative effects that anonymity has on social interactions. Largely speaking, most people are jerks on the internet some of the time, regardless of who they are or who they are talking to. This is a HUGE part of the equation, and more often than not, interactions that get labeled as "sexist" or "racist" or any "ist" are fundamentally just people who want to be mean because they feel they can get away with it. They jump to the most obvious avenue of attack that presents itself to them. If I'm a woman, they'll say something degrading to women. If I'm gay, they'll say something homophobic. If I'm of a specific race, they'll insult my race, or my height, or weight, or age... it's not that they are ideologically against any 1 group, it's that they'll attack any and every group because they are trying to be mean.

This behavior is obviously bad and toxic and destructive. And it often presents itself on face-value as sexist or racist or homophobic, language etc. But going after it as such is usually missing the root cause.

The next big issue is that when people like something, they're generally against having the thing that they like changed. A lot of the supposed "entitlement" drama that I see around nerd culture just comes down to nerds being nerds, combined with the "people on the internet are jerks" rule I mentioned above.

Remember when Hugh Jackman was first cast as Wolverine? X-Men fans flipped out, because Jackman is 6'2" and Wolverine is supposed to be 5'3". To those fans, casting Jackman was a sign that the filmmakers weren't familiar enough with the characters to be trusted to get anything right. Now, those fans were clearly wrong, but not for any of the malicious or discriminatory reasons that get thrown around today. I would be the first person to point out that Hugh Jackman's height isn't intrinsically critical to his ability to portray the character. Just as I would also point out that someone with dark skin can do a fantastic job portraying Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter play. But, I'm not going to jump to the knee-jerk assumption that everyone who does protest is doing so because they are racist, just as I wouldn't assume that X-men fans complaining about Jackman's height really just hate tall people. I would assume that the vast majority of them just have a picture in their head of what a character looks like, and that picture is 1 part of the puzzle that makes up the thing that they love, and they worry when those pieces get changed. The argument to make in the face of that attitude is "think harder about the specific piece that you're worried about, and whether or not it actually matters".

Ultimately, I think the issue of "change" is where the majority of the tension comes from in these situations. The majority of fans of any game/book/movie love to have new fans join them in celebrating the thing that they love together. What they don't want is to have the thing that they love changed in order to attract new fans. And this trend is often misdiagnosed, then made worse by the fact that a significant portion of the people expressing their concerns do so poorly, or rudely, or aggressively, because they're being jerks on the internet. And that is precisely where the "gatekeeping" phenomenon comes in. Marvel comics over the past several years is a great example. Marvel looked at their readership and thought "it sure would be great if more women bought our comics... let's do something about that." Totally valid observation, and a great goal. But rather than creating new content to achieve that goal, they took a bunch of their existing franchises and characters and changed them (swapping sex or race or both). Fans complained because their favorite characters and books were suddenly being transformed, and then the whole argument between the self-described "real fans" and everyone else takes off. This is utterly predictable and understandable, and not due to widespread discrimination among comic-book fans. That's just what happens when you take something that people love and change it.

Bob Dylan fans got angry at him when he started playing electric guitar. Buffy fans complained about Season 4 because they weren't meeting in the Library anymore. Dr Who fans flip out every time a new Dr Who appears. And Blizzard fans freak out when Blizzard announces a game that doesn't fit the mold of what fans expect and love from Blizzard. Is it good behavior? Absolutely not. But to try and address the problem by splitting people along the lines of gender or "social standing" is utterly missing the point, and usually just makes things worse. The whole world is collectively learning how to handle online communication. Places like Twitter are suddenly being treated as the place to gauge the pulse of public opinion and morality. I hope that as time moves forward, more and more people will grow up learning to conduct themselves with as much care in their online interactions as they do with their personal interactions. Or perhaps more people will begin to realize that life is better without Twitter or facebook, and then their won't be anyone left to feed the trolls :)

There's way more to it than that

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 05, 2018, 14:11 (2006 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

This is the exact kind of explanation that you get when you begin with an ideological presupposition, then work backwards to fit everything into it. Is "entitlement" part of the issue? Absolutely, in some cases, to varying degrees. But there are a load of things going on here.

First and foremost, we're dealing with the internet, and the negative effects that anonymity has on social interactions. Largely speaking, most people are jerks on the internet some of the time, regardless of who they are or who they are talking to. This is a HUGE part of the equation, and more often than not, interactions that get labeled as "sexist" or "racist" or any "ist" are fundamentally just people who want to be mean because they feel they can get away with it. They jump to the most obvious avenue of attack that presents itself to them. If I'm a woman, they'll say something degrading to women. If I'm gay, they'll say something homophobic. If I'm of a specific race, they'll insult my race, or my height, or weight, or age... it's not that they are ideologically against any 1 group, it's that they'll attack any and every group because they are trying to be mean.

This behavior is obviously bad and toxic and destructive. And it often presents itself on face-value as sexist or racist or homophobic, language etc. But going after it as such is usually missing the root cause.

The next big issue is that when people like something, they're generally against having the thing that they like changed. A lot of the supposed "entitlement" drama that I see around nerd culture just comes down to nerds being nerds, combined with the "people on the internet are jerks" rule I mentioned above.

Remember when Hugh Jackman was first cast as Wolverine? X-Men fans flipped out, because Jackman is 6'2" and Wolverine is supposed to be 5'3". To those fans, casting Jackman was a sign that the filmmakers weren't familiar enough with the characters to be trusted to get anything right. Now, those fans were clearly wrong, but not for any of the malicious or discriminatory reasons that get thrown around today. I would be the first person to point out that Hugh Jackman's height isn't intrinsically critical to his ability to portray the character. Just as I would also point out that someone with dark skin can do a fantastic job portraying Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter play. But, I'm not going to jump to the knee-jerk assumption that everyone who does protest is doing so because they are racist, just as I wouldn't assume that X-men fans complaining about Jackman's height really just hate tall people. I would assume that the vast majority of them just have a picture in their head of what a character looks like, and that picture is 1 part of the puzzle that makes up the thing that they love, and they worry when those pieces get changed. The argument to make in the face of that attitude is "think harder about the specific piece that you're worried about, and whether or not it actually matters".

Ultimately, I think the issue of "change" is where the majority of the tension comes from in these situations. The majority of fans of any game/book/movie love to have new fans join them in celebrating the thing that they love together. What they don't want is to have the thing that they love changed in order to attract new fans. And this trend is often misdiagnosed, then made worse by the fact that a significant portion of the people expressing their concerns do so poorly, or rudely, or aggressively, because they're being jerks on the internet. And that is precisely where the "gatekeeping" phenomenon comes in. Marvel comics over the past several years is a great example. Marvel looked at their readership and thought "it sure would be great if more women bought our comics... let's do something about that." Totally valid observation, and a great goal. But rather than creating new content to achieve that goal, they took a bunch of their existing franchises and characters and changed them (swapping sex or race or both). Fans complained because their favorite characters and books were suddenly being transformed, and then the whole argument between the self-described "real fans" and everyone else takes off. This is utterly predictable and understandable, and not due to widespread discrimination among comic-book fans. That's just what happens when you take something that people love and change it.

Bob Dylan fans got angry at him when he started playing electric guitar. Buffy fans complained about Season 4 because they weren't meeting in the Library anymore. Dr Who fans flip out every time a new Dr Who appears. And Blizzard fans freak out when Blizzard announces a game that doesn't fit the mold of what fans expect and love from Blizzard. Is it good behavior? Absolutely not. But to try and address the problem by splitting people along the lines of gender or "social standing" is utterly missing the point, and usually just makes things worse. The whole world is collectively learning how to handle online communication. Places like Twitter are suddenly being treated as the place to gauge the pulse of public opinion and morality. I hope that as time moves forward, more and more people will grow up learning to conduct themselves with as much care in their online interactions as they do with their personal interactions. Or perhaps more people will begin to realize that life is better without Twitter or facebook, and then their won't be anyone left to feed the trolls :)

[image]

Today is my tenth Facebook anniversary. It's been a mostly negative experience, sad to say. I miss knowing people in three (and more) dimensions.

This misses the point. I’ll have to come back to it later.

by Harmanimus @, Monday, November 05, 2018, 14:19 (2006 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

Whaaaaat

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 12:38 (2005 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Whoa man, #ComicsGate is not just "Fans complained", it's been targeted harassment and campaigns to get people fired when they defend themselves against said bigoted harassment.

You're really minimizing some insidious behavior here.

Whaaaaat

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 13:02 (2005 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Whoa man, #ComicsGate is not just "Fans complained", it's been targeted harassment and campaigns to get people fired when they defend themselves against said bigoted harassment.

That is definitely a portion of the situation. It’s terrible. I’m not minimizing any of that. But the numbers of people participating in that behaviour are only a small minority of the fan base who has been generally unhappy with the direction that Marvel has taken. It’s not accurate to paint the entire fan base with the same brush as a minority of people who are behaving terribly.

Whaaaaat

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 13:25 (2005 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

If the only voice that is heard is vitriol that is the only voice of the fan base.

Whaaaaat

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 13:49 (2005 days ago) @ Harmanimus

If the only voice that is heard is vitriol that is the only voice of the fan base.

I have yet to encounter a case of nerd-culture drama where the only voice is vitriolic. What usually happens is a whole bunch of people complain for a bunch of reasons that range from reasonable critiques all the way to pure insanity, the people who go way to far get all the attention, and then those making reasonable critiques get lumped in with the whackos until they’re too sick of the whole thing to care anymore and they move on to something else.

There’s another issue here, which comes down to how people choose to interpret the outbursts of rage that come from online communities. I’ve worked closely with several community managers for large IPs (Xbox, Xbox Canada, Halo, just to make a few). One of the most important lessons I’ve learned is that just because someone is behaving horribly online, it doesn’t mean they don’t have a point. Sometimes, there really is nothing of substance behind them. But more often than not, if you look beyond the keyboard-rage and dig into the reasons why that person is acting out, you’ll find that they actually have some sort of valid point. That doesn’t excuse or justify their horrible behaviour. Sometimes people just need to be ignored. But I’ve found that the most of the times when I’ve had to deal with people who are lashing out online, I’ve been able to reach past all the faux-outrage and connect with the real human being. And when that happens, both sides learn and come out better for it.

Whaaaaat

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 16:10 (2005 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That’s nice and all. From a direct community interaction that is helpful. But the important issue isn’t the people being vitriolic, merit to the cause or not. It requires a competing voice to overcome the vitriol. Not all communities survive to accomplish that. And certain demographics do fight the attempt to correct their course to one of reason.

But that competing voice still has to be loud enough for those outside that community to be heard or it doesn’t matter as the greater scope impact will be negative. I don’t necessarily think we are in disagreement, but I come from a place where I cannot coddle folks who shouldn’t be coddled.

Whaaaaat

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 13:43 (2005 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That is definitely a portion of the situation. It’s terrible. I’m not minimizing any of that. But the numbers of people participating in that behaviour are only a small minority of the fan base who has been generally unhappy with the direction that Marvel has taken. It’s not accurate to paint the entire fan base with the same brush as a minority of people who are behaving terribly.

The volume of people not engaging in that behavior doesn't make the behavior go away. It provides people like you cover to say "it's a small minority". When someone sends a death threat or joins a call to fire Chuck Wendig they take all those voices not engaging in the ugly behavior and feel emboldened because they're on the same side whether those voices like it or not.

The people who have been under represented by mainstream entertainment for years have just as much reason to be upset, if not more so. But I don't see a hashtag co-opted by a hate campaign from them...

Whaaaaat

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 13:57 (2005 days ago) @ kidtsunami

The volume of people not engaging in that behavior doesn't make the behavior go away. It provides people like you cover to say "it's a small minority". When someone sends a death threat or joins a call to fire Chuck Wendig they take all those voices not engaging in the ugly behavior and feel emboldened because they're on the same side whether those voices like it or not.

The people who have been under represented by mainstream entertainment for years have just as much reason to be upset, if not more so. But I don't see a hashtag co-opted by a hate campaign from them...

Utterly wrong. Somebody sending death threats over a comic book is not on the same “side” as somebody who doesn’t like a comic book, and voices their critiques over it. It’s rediculous to suggest so.

Whaaaaat

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 14:15 (2005 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by kidtsunami, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 14:18

Utterly wrong. Somebody sending death threats over a comic book is not on the same “side” as somebody who doesn’t like a comic book, and voices their critiques over it. It’s rediculous to suggest so.

They're both upset about the same thing, no?

Like unless that person clarifies that they're not a part of whatever hate campaign, how is an observer supposed to separate them from said campaign that claims ownership over the complaints?

It's a part of being a citizen of something

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 14:29 (2005 days ago) @ kidtsunami

You have to own what you're supporting and be aware of its context. Your voice is not in a vacuum, and you should be mindful of who and what will be emboldened by it.

Movements like Gamergate and Comicsgate take advantage of patsies who aren't aware of what they're actually supporting and end up as fuel for radical hatred.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 14:59 (2005 days ago) @ kidtsunami

You have to own what you're supporting and be aware of its context. Your voice is not in a vacuum, and you should be mindful of who and what will be emboldened by it.

I absolutely own what I am supporting. I’m not going to own what you claim I’m supporting, because it’s BS. I’ve already said that bad online behaviour is BAD, and inexcusable, and needs to stop. You’re drawing false borders around groups that aren’t actually connected to each other, and you’re not a knowledging it.

Movements like Gamergate and Comicsgate take advantage of patsies who aren't aware of what they're actually supporting and end up as fuel for radical hatred.

Both sides do that. Lucasfilm keeps trying to dismiss all criticism of The Last Jedi by saying it’s nothing but the rantings of sexist man-children, and suddenly anyone who criticizes the movie is accused of being sexist. What I’m proposing is that none of the drama is as big a deal or as big a part of the general population as some would have us believe. I say that because if you just stop paying attention to Twitter, it all goes away. You can still go to forums, YouTube, review and media platforms, and find plenty of disagreement, but it’s largely in good faith and semi-respectful (often not to the degree that I’d prefer).

The harassment campaigns are terrible, and I wish Twitter would be smarter about addressing them. But again, if you just don’t look at Twitter...

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 16:22 (2005 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

If I don’t look at the part of my kitchen that is on fire, it doesn’t stop being on fire. And perhaps other people are noticing.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 16:50 (2005 days ago) @ Harmanimus

If I don’t look at the part of my kitchen that is on fire, it doesn’t stop being on fire. And perhaps other people are noticing.

Right, but if everyone leaves the kitchen nobody gets burned.

Whaaaaat

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 13:07 (2005 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I know you're not talking to me, but let's agree that bad behavior is bad. I have a problem with lumping in all unhappy fans with the subset who behaves badly. That's another form of behaving badly, and that's a problem, too. I'm not fond of harassment campaigns, regardless of the target. It's why I'm essentially a non-presence on twitter, which seems to me built to enable such things. It encourages the most impulsive and least thoughtful sides of ourselves.

In defense of Cruel, I read this as his mile-high view--his effort to dispassionately (and with generosity to all involved) assess what is really going on. Not a popular tact these days, I realize.

Whaaaaat

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 13:36 (2005 days ago) @ Kermit

I know you're not talking to me, but let's agree that bad behavior is bad. I have a problem with lumping in all unhappy fans with the subset who behaves badly. That's another form of behaving badly, and that's a problem, too. I'm not fond of harassment campaigns, regardless of the target. It's why I'm essentially a non-presence on twitter, which seems to me built to enable such things. It encourages the most impulsive and least thoughtful sides of ourselves.

In defense of Cruel, I read this as his mile-high view--his effort to dispassionately (and with generosity to all involved) assess what is really going on. Not a popular tact these days, I realize.

Yeah, I just have an issue with taking mile-high views because they often engage in some level of generalization. I'm not saying that anyone bothered by Marvel's direction is awful. What I AM saying is that there is a movement driven by particularly ugly beliefs that revels in this type of fan discontent. Just because somebody (and this is shaky at best) may naively feel upset that their favorite comic book character has transformed (don't comic book characters change ALL the time?) doesn't make all the damage those movements have caused go away.

Coming out and trying to say "overall, the majority of the tension is due to frustration with change" without acknowledging the hateful campaigns minimizes them and validates the efforts of those campaigns to paint their discontent as mere frustration with change. We KNOW that groups on 4Chan and the uglier parts of reddit organize around these things, to not reckon with that is a form of complicity or ignorance at best.

Whaaaaat

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 14:55 (2005 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Yeah, I just have an issue with taking mile-high views because they often engage in some level of generalization. I'm not saying that anyone bothered by Marvel's direction is awful. What I AM saying is that there is a movement driven by particularly ugly beliefs that revels in this type of fan discontent. Just because somebody (and this is shaky at best) may naively feel upset that their favorite comic book character has transformed (don't comic book characters change ALL the time?) doesn't make all the damage those movements have caused go away.

"Naively upset"? That sort of preloads the narrative, doesn't it? It seems to me that Cruel is arguing against generalization, too, but I guess we all tend to pick the generalization that best conforms to our worldview. Some generalization is inevitable and necessary, and we have to choose wisely, and allow for exceptions. I prefer generalizations that give people credit.

Coming out and trying to say "overall, the majority of the tension is due to frustration with change" without acknowledging the hateful campaigns minimizes them and validates the efforts of those campaigns to paint their discontent as mere frustration with change. We KNOW that groups on 4Chan and the uglier parts of reddit organize around these things, to not reckon with that is a form of complicity or ignorance at best.

I don't agree, but I'm probably giving people credit again. You don't mention some bad behavior I'd like for you to acknowledge, but I'm not assuming you're complicit with it. Remember, Cruel is minimizing in a particular context, which was Harmonious maximizing aspects of the issue HE wanted to maximize. Everybody's working to get at what's true here.

Whaaaaat

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 16:21 (2005 days ago) @ Kermit

I take umbridge with the suggestion that focusing in on the most prevalent root cause counts as attempting to [artificially] maximize its significance.

Whaaaaat

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 16:29 (2005 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I take umbridge with the suggestion that focusing in on the most prevalent root cause counts as attempting to [artificially] maximize its significance.

I'm sorry you take umbrage--I guess to say that anyone is maximizing or minimizing anything is to suggest that they're artificially making something a bigger or smaller factor than it actually is. I don't think it's an indisputable conclusion that what you say is the most prevalent root cause is that.

Whaaaaat

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 16:35 (2005 days ago) @ Kermit

Perhaps I mean in the context of highest volume of vitriol per “voice”? It isn’t a new or isolated conclusion.

And I’ll definitely agree there are other issues, but in my experience those are either relatively minor or still derived from the same root cause.

Look at Blizzcon

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 05, 2018, 10:34 (2006 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It’s a perfect example of why game devs aren’t more open. Blizzard had the audacity to announce a mobile game and a bunch of idiot babies collectively shit their pants about it in outrage.

Because Mobile games are shit. If your favorite company made a shit game instead of a good one you'd be disappointed too.

By the way guess who was partnered with Blizzard to make Diablo Infinite? Netease, who is oh so coincidentally partnered with Bungie for their next game.

Future sure looks bright. Not.

Look at Blizzcon

by cheapLEY @, Monday, November 05, 2018, 10:47 (2006 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Because Mobile games are shit. If your favorite company made a shit game instead of a good one you'd be disappointed too.

I am disappointed. I want Diablo 4, too.

I’m not on the internet screaming about it though, attacking Blizzard, sending death threats, or saying Blizzard ruined the franchise. I thought “Huh, that looks bad. Bummer!” and then I moved on with my life.

There is no justification for the shit-fit those idiots are throwing.

Just as there will be no justification for it if Bungie’s next game is a mobile Destiny themed gotcha game.

There is a huge difference between being disappointed with something and acting like an asshole. I’ve seen better behavior out of actual toddlers.

Look at Blizzcon

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 05, 2018, 10:53 (2006 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’m not on the internet screaming about it though, attacking Blizzard, sending death threats, or saying Blizzard ruined the franchise. I thought “Huh, that looks bad. Bummer!” and then I moved on with my life.

There is some justification in that it can help shift poor trends back. Without being vocal, I believe developers and publishers would not know which aspects players object to. If you are quiet and don't buy it, there's no feedback there.

Look at Blizzcon

by cheapLEY @, Monday, November 05, 2018, 11:46 (2006 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There is some justification in that it can help shift poor trends back. Without being vocal, I believe developers and publishers would not know which aspects players object to. If you are quiet and don't buy it, there's no feedback there.

I’m not advocating for silence. I’m advocating for not being a petulant asshole.

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Monday, November 05, 2018, 12:20 (2006 days ago) @ CommanderCartman

#OnlyOneCommanderHere #NowWeHaveToFight

DBO: Thunderdome Edition

by Claude Errera @, Monday, November 05, 2018, 12:42 (2006 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

- No text -

DBO Thunderdome 2: Electric Boogaloo - Highlander Edition

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, November 05, 2018, 15:28 (2006 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread