Oldest game in your backlog (Destiny)

by Funkmon @, Thursday, November 01, 2018, 23:03 (2010 days ago)

We're mostly adults now here. That means, usually, an ever growing list of games we never had time to play. What's the oldest one you never quite got around to playing, but bought with full intentions of doing so?

---------------

Partial victor:

I bought Myth and Myth 2 for Windows in 02 and I've installed them on every PC I've had since then but have never actually played them outside of highly occasional multiplayer games with a childhood friend who I used to play with after school. So I have played them, but NO single player.

So that's a game from 97, on my list since 02, but since I have actually played it, it might not count.

-------------------

Winner:

KOTOR - released in 03, bought in 04, rebought in 2010, again in 2014. Still haven't played a second of the game. I kept hearing there's a twist in the game. I asked someone at the recent LAN what it was, and it turns out you're actually a bad guy whose memory was wiped or something. Eh.

It doesn't deter me. I still intend to eventually play that stupid game, now 15 years later.

Oldest game in your backlog

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, November 02, 2018, 07:34 (2009 days ago) @ Funkmon

Partial victor:

Myst

I have an original copy of the PC version, which I think released in 1995. It came with a hand-me-down PC that my family got when I was in high school (it was already around 5 years old by then). But the original Mac release was in 1993, so I'm counting it as that. :) When I originally had this game, I didn't have as much exposure to the gaming world and probably wouldn't have identified myself as a "gamer." I don't think I really understood how to approach something like Myst. I remember running around and even getting to one or two of the other ages, but I think I might have gotten the puzzle solutions out of a strategy guide or something? Don't even remember, but I certainly didn't work them out for myself. In any case, a few months ago I went on a spree setting up a bunch of virtual machines to play around with old versions of Windows, and then I found my Myst CD, so I played a bit.

-------------------
Winner:

The Dig

I downloaded this from GoG a couple of years ago on a whim. I have no idea what it is but heard something about it being good. It's apparently from 1995.

-------------------

Also, you should definitely play KotOR. Oversimplifying the story makes it sound like the twist doesn't matter, but the way it's presented is important. Most players didn't KNOW there was anything up until the moment they found out. Also there's a TON of Star Wars lore in that game, especially about the Mandalorians, Wookies, and... something else that existed long before the Republic or the Empire, which I'm not going to spoil.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, November 02, 2018, 07:38 (2009 days ago) @ stabbim

Winner:

The Dig

I downloaded this from GoG a couple of years ago on a whim. I have no idea what it is but heard something about it being good. It's apparently from 1995.

LucasArts point and click scifi adventure game. Also in my backlog.

I'm going to disown both of you. Also get to Grim Fandango.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, November 02, 2018, 08:22 (2009 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, November 02, 2018, 08:23 (2009 days ago) @ stabbim

The Dig

If you like Lucas Arts point and click adventure games (like Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Monkey Island, etc) then you'll enjoy this one.

Also there's a TON of Star Wars lore in that game, especially about the Mandalorians, Wookies, and... something else that existed long before the Republic or the Empire, which I'm not going to spoil.

None of which is canon anymore so who cares? :P

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, November 02, 2018, 10:16 (2009 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

If you like Lucas Arts point and click adventure games (like Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Monkey Island, etc) then you'll enjoy this one.

I honestly have no idea. The only point-and-click adventure that I can remember playing was Broken Age. I think it's kinda in the same vein, but it's not LucasArts, so I don't know how similar it is. I did like that one, for what it's worth.

Also there's a TON of Star Wars lore in that game, especially about the Mandalorians, Wookies, and... something else that existed long before the Republic or the Empire, which I'm not going to spoil.

None of which is canon anymore so who cares? :P

Screw Disney. You'll never convince me that the Darth Bane trilogy isn't canon.

Come to think of it, the guy who wrote those was also a writer on KotOR.

Did you mean: Tim Schafer

by Harmanimus @, Friday, November 02, 2018, 10:48 (2009 days ago) @ stabbim

I honestly have no idea. The only point-and-click adventure that I can remember playing was Broken Age. I think it's kinda in the same vein, but it's not LucasArts, so I don't know how similar it is. I did like that one, for what it's worth.

The man pretty much in many ways responsible for the LucasArts PaCA games all the way back to Monkey Island in 1990 is the man behind Double Fine, which made Broken Age. Pretty muh everything by DF is good too.

Re: Topic, backlog for a replay is Day of the Tentacle, actually. For games I’ve never actually played, Rise of the Triad.

Going OT on Double Fine...

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, November 02, 2018, 11:25 (2009 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Pretty much everything by DF is good too.

I still think if Double Fine had made a Kinect Party type game for Xbox One, the Kinect might have survived. Kinect Party for the 360 worked FAR better than any Kinect game for the Xbox One using what was supposed to be way less accurate tracking.

-Disciple

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, November 02, 2018, 11:31 (2009 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Yes, but having never actually played anything from the LucasArts era, I didn't have any way of knowing whether they were actually similar.

by Harmanimus @, Friday, November 02, 2018, 11:40 (2009 days ago) @ stabbim

Basically PaCA exists in any modern form due to the LucasArts ones. So if you like modern ones you will likely enjoy those.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 02, 2018, 10:52 (2009 days ago) @ stabbim

Disney made the right decision honestly. For every KOTOR, there’s a whole host of novels that are complete trash. They were smart to say none of it is canon and then slowly pull in the good parts, like they’ve done with Thrawn.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, November 02, 2018, 11:12 (2009 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

The Dig

If you like those games, Flight of the Amazon Queen was released as freeware and is pretty dang good.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, November 02, 2018, 11:09 (2009 days ago) @ stabbim

The Dig took me six months to beat. I refused hints.

Be warned that what stumped me was a situation where I the player knew something, but the character did not, and thus would not do what I knew he had to.

Not all Lucasarts games were the pinnacle of design.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, November 02, 2018, 11:14 (2009 days ago) @ stabbim

Partial victor:

Myst

In April, I Kickstarted Cyan's effort to release the entire Myst collection for modern machinery for Myst's 25th Anniversary - it was funded at the end of May. They needed about a quarter million to make it happen - they raised almost 3 million.

I've got all 7 games now, sitting on my Mac, downloaded from Steam. ;) I haven't found the time (yet) to go back and play them. (I didn't play them all when they came out - I think I only played 3 of 'em.)

Remember: Marty and Mike did the music for Riven!

Oh, right!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, November 02, 2018, 11:37 (2009 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I do remember hearing about that re-release thing, I think I may have even re-shared it on some social media. Totally forgot until now, though.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, November 02, 2018, 11:47 (2009 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Partial victor:

Myst

In April, I Kickstarted Cyan's effort to release the entire Myst collection for modern machinery for Myst's 25th Anniversary - it was funded at the end of May. They needed about a quarter million to make it happen - they raised almost 3 million.

I've got all 7 games now, sitting on my Mac, downloaded from Steam. ;) I haven't found the time (yet) to go back and play them. (I didn't play them all when they came out - I think I only played 3 of 'em.)

And Marty found out about Bungie because at CYAN they were all playing Marathon 2!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 02, 2018, 14:59 (2009 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Partial victor:

Myst

And Marty found out about Bungie because at CYAN they were all playing Marathon 2!

Nice! If I knew that I'd forgotten it.

Here was my experience playing Riven: a friend who worked in Research Triangle Park gave me this humongous CRT monitor their company was getting rid of. It could barely fit it into the back of my hatchback. When I say it was huge, the screen might have been 20" but the back end jutted out several feet. It was very heavy. I'm sure it cost $1,000 new. I was excited to get it. I got a neighbor to help me get it into the house and basically put it on the living room floor. I couldn't move it again for months. I was so desperate to use it that I moved my computer to it, and that's how I played Riven, lying on the floor, propped on my elbows, getting a crick in my neck. Enjoyed the game regardless.

System Shock, 1994

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, November 02, 2018, 07:36 (2009 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

"...pathetic creature of meat and bone"

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Friday, November 02, 2018, 10:51 (2009 days ago) @ narcogen
edited by Pyromancy, Friday, November 02, 2018, 10:57

- No text -

by CommanderCartman, Redmond, WA and Jeddah, SA, Friday, November 02, 2018, 09:04 (2009 days ago) @ Funkmon

Oldest game...? Fallout 1

PLAY KOTOR!!

by TheeChaos @, Friday, November 02, 2018, 09:15 (2009 days ago) @ Funkmon

Seriously. Very good game if you can get into the lore and twist. It definitely did not age well with the mechanics, but easily the best Star wars game to date IMO.

THEN PLAY KOTOR 2!!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, November 02, 2018, 14:23 (2009 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Kreia is one of the best written characters of any medium. If you disagree with me, you're wrong.

[image]

THEN PLAY KOTOR 2!!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, November 02, 2018, 15:08 (2009 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

100% yes. She raises some very serious questions about the nature of The Force that I still think back to every time I experience a new Star Wars story. Her words will haunt you forever.

THEN PLAY KOTOR 2!!

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 02, 2018, 15:29 (2009 days ago) @ stabbim

I need to finish that game. I loved KOTOR, but missed the sequel. I was playing it through Gamepass before Forsaken came out. The beginning of that game is boring. I made it off the space station and to the first planet trying to find the Ebon Hawk, and it was still boring. I want to finish it, and I plan to, eventually. I hope it picks up pretty quickly though.

Sneak King

by squidnh3, Friday, November 02, 2018, 09:49 (2009 days ago) @ Funkmon

My college roommate bought me all 3 Burger King games in 2006, since I only played Halo. Pocketbike Racer was actually really fun, Big Bumpin' was dumb, but I never quite got around to Sneak King. Seems pretty unlikely to happen any time soon.

Skip It!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, November 03, 2018, 03:35 (2009 days ago) @ squidnh3

Unless you don’t care about gamerscore...this game is a pain. I literally just completed it less than a month ago and it was pure hell. XD

Deux Ex: Invisible War

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 02, 2018, 10:53 (2009 days ago) @ Funkmon
edited by Kermit, Friday, November 02, 2018, 11:01

Surely there's a mac game from the 80s I bought but never got around to, but this one popped into my head as one I wanted to play. (I did start it, so maybe it doesn't count?) I've got a drawer with OG Xbox games in it--most of which I bought used for next to nothing, but no doubt there's probably at least one still shrink-wrapped. I'll peek in there when I get home.

Destiny has been horrible for my backlog. I might have to take a break for RDR2.

Deux Ex: Invisible War

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, November 02, 2018, 14:36 (2009 days ago) @ Kermit

I must have played the demo of this game... a thousand times. Not as much as I did for the Splinter Cell demo... but, man. This game was my introduction to not only the cyberpunk concept, but the first action role-playing game as well. It was highly panned, seeing as it was the successor to Deux Ex. I imagine it hasn't aged well.

Plus I found the intro to be really pretty too.

BurgerTime (NES)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, November 02, 2018, 11:07 (2009 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

The Bungie Mac Action Sack

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, November 02, 2018, 11:18 (2009 days ago) @ Funkmon

I bought it forever ago, then bought a cheap Apple computer from Ebay, then a VGA-to-whatever Macs used back then adapter, and finally a copy of the latest compatible OS* because the computer had been wiped. I eventually got everything set up, installed the Action Sack, and was ready to rock some classic Bungie goodness, but whatever game I tried to play, the entire computer would crash any time I tried to save. So I gave up. I still have the disks (but not the sack, sadly) and the Mac stashed in my garage somewhere, but I haven't messed with either in years. I've still never played any of the games included in the Mac Action Sack with the exception of whichever Marathon game made it to Xbox years ago, but made half of the people who played it (myself included) motion sick.

Second place might be Full Throttle. I swear I've purchased it at some point, but it's not in my Steam library and I don't remember having a disk for it, Maybe I've just wanted to buy it for a while and have never gotten around to it.

-Disciple

*Mildly amusing story: The OS disks were also purchased on ebay and they took nearly a month to arrive via "media mail." About three weeks into waiting, I checked the sender's address, and they were within walking distance of my house.

PoP: Sands of Time

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, November 02, 2018, 11:24 (2009 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Worth playing!

by slycrel ⌂, Saturday, November 03, 2018, 19:30 (2008 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Too late, RDR finally arrived.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Sunday, November 04, 2018, 09:16 (2007 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

Ultima V

by Claude Errera @, Friday, November 02, 2018, 11:47 (2009 days ago) @ Funkmon

Bought it while I was in the Peace Corps, in 1988 (I was home to visit, it had just come out, I was afraid that if I waited until I returned to the US for good I wouldn't be able to find it). Found the disks a few years ago when we moved to Seattle - still in plastic. No longer had any way to read them.

They, along with a couple of tons of other stuff, went to Goodwill just before the move. :(

Ultima V

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, November 02, 2018, 15:49 (2009 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Bought it while I was in the Peace Corps, in 1988 (I was home to visit, it had just come out, I was afraid that if I waited until I returned to the US for good I wouldn't be able to find it). Found the disks a few years ago when we moved to Seattle - still in plastic. No longer had any way to read them.

They, along with a couple of tons of other stuff, went to Goodwill just before the move. :(

https://www.gog.com/game/ultima_456

4 by itself is free, in case you hadn't played that one also... or perhaps didn't finish it...

https://www.gog.com/game/ultima_4

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, November 02, 2018, 23:34 (2009 days ago) @ Funkmon

If you're talking about games you've bought but haven't started...

Well, I always wanted to play Shining Force 2, but I didn't play the original until the Dreamcast Smash Pack. And I didn't get the sequel until Sonic's UGC, so....2008?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread