Season of the Drifter + ViDoc (Destiny)

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 09:10 (1918 days ago)

Looks like actual content for a change. Neat!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 09:25 (1918 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f
edited by Korny, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 09:38

Seems much more thought-out than four mindless Forges, at least! Also, expanding on gear depth is nice, though I hope that’s not all the new armor we get (that said, look at how not-massive the Titan shoulders are!).

Decent sales pitch.

Season of the Drifter + ViDoc

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, February 28, 2019, 09:33 (1918 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

"Gambit Prime is a sweatier version of Gambit" YIKES! Gambit as it stands makes my heart rise into my throat from rage.

Reckoning looks intriguing.

The disco party armor looks cool but people will never use them for their intended role...unless there are specific perks related to the role.

Good to see they added a quick rank up option.

Season of Opulence? Is that the first time they've used that name in public?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 09:57 (1918 days ago) @ ManKitten

Season of Opulence? Is that the first time they've used that name in public?

I believe so

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 10:07 (1918 days ago) @ ManKitten

Sweaty probably more because mechanics/single round. Which means Probably faster, too.

The implication is role-specific perks. I could make guesses as to what it’ll be. But I would guess things that increase reloads/handling, perhaps movement speeds, and maybe damage resistances. It will be interesting to see.

Looks great!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 09:46 (1918 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f
edited by cheapLEY, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 09:51

Honestly, looks like exactly what they needed to do to get me back from Apex Legends. I was worried, because, while I like Gambit, a season based solely around it definitely wasn't something I was super interested in.

This looks great, though. Gambit Prime sounds like what Gambit should have been from the start--give me a single, intense round, then call it a day.

The Reckoning sure looked cool!

I love that we're seeing glowy armor bits come back. Hopefully they take it to the next level, soon, and we seem stuff similar to the Crota's End ornaments.

I wish the ViDoc would have talked about The Allegiance. Because it sounds intriguing!

The Allegiance quest, previously forecast as the Joker’s Wild weekly quest, will invite you to choose between the Vanguard and the Drifter. Pick a side to progress through the quest from their perspective. This pledge is character based, so if you have more than one Guardian, you can play both sides. Choose wisely!

I wonder how the rest of the Destiny experience fits with Season of the Drifter. It sure sounds like we're getting more stuff this season, I did like how building the blue Forge weapons fit nicely with doing your weekly milestones, and gave me another reason to keep doing those after I hit 650.

Overall, I'm really excited but why the showed. Seems like maybe now I'll actually be playing enough Gambit that I can finally get Breakneck!

EDIT: I clicked through to their Season of the Drifter details page. Here's the new pinnacle weapons:

Crucible looks like a Veist SMG:

THE RECLUSE-Kills with any weapon improve this weapon's damage for a short time

Vanguard appears to be an Omolon Scout:

OXYGEN SR3-Dragonfly deals more damage based on the number of precision hits made beforehand

And Gambit is a heavy machine gun:

21% DELIRIUM-Kills increase this weapon's damage until it is stowed or reloaded

Looks great!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 10:15 (1918 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The Reckoning sure looked cool!

Sounded like a cross between the Haunted Forest and F3AR's "F***ing Run", which I've yet to see another game replicate. Both great tastes that will no doubt taste great together, assuming it's like that.

Overall, I'm really excited but why the showed. Seems like maybe now I'll actually be playing enough Gambit that I can finally get Breakneck!

Now's a great week to do so, with 3x Infamy active. Definitely helps you get the Dredgen title while maintaining your dignity. :P

And Gambit is a heavy machine gun:

21% DELIRIUM-Kills increase this weapon's damage until it is stowed or reloaded

It'll be nice to have a second LMG option for people who don't have the Annual Pass. Bungie had promised them for all, but literally only gave people a short window to grab a single mediocre one, and they've been entirely absent since.

Looks great!

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 23:28 (1917 days ago) @ Korny

It'll be nice to have a second LMG option for people who don't have the Annual Pass. Bungie had promised them for all, but literally only gave people a short window to grab a single mediocre one, and they've been entirely absent since.

Both Thunderlord and Avalanche were available for folks without the Annual Pass.

Looks great!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 01, 2019, 07:02 (1917 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Both Thunderlord and Avalanche were available for folks without the Annual Pass.

Avalanche was only available during an event. If you missed out, your only option is currently the RNG Thunderlord (and we all know how generous exotic drops are). And Thunderlord came out before the Annual Pass, as part of the Festival of the Lost Murder Mystery. The Annual Pass roadmap separately promised the return of Machine Guns for non-season pass holders. I mean, it was technically true, since we did have a short chance to get one, and Thunderlord was lumped into the RNG reward pool.

But yeh, if you didn’t pony up, your only options are going to be an exotic (Thunderlord), and a Gambit pinnacle weapon only available if you have Forsaken.

Looks great!

by cheapLEY @, Friday, March 01, 2019, 07:48 (1917 days ago) @ Korny
edited by cheapLEY, Friday, March 01, 2019, 07:58

You were guaranteed to get an Avalanche weren’t you? I thought it was one of the first things you got from The Dawning. It’s been long enough that I don’t actually remember how that quest line started though.

So yeah, I guess if you didn’t find a whole thirty minutes to play Destiny during a three week period, you possibly missed out.

EDIT: Just be clear, I agree with you. We need more accessible machine guns. As far as I’m concerned, they should be raining down from the heavens—they’re stupidly fun and I want more! Just, I don’t think the situation is as dire as you’re implying.

Looks great!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 01, 2019, 08:25 (1917 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You were guaranteed to get an Avalanche weren’t you? I thought it was one of the first things you got from The Dawning. It’s been long enough that I don’t actually remember how that quest line started though.

I think you had to do everything up to Zavala. Not a huge mission, but if you weren’t actively playing Destiny during the Dawning, you didn’t get it.

So yeah, I guess if you didn’t find a whole thirty minutes to play Destiny during a three week period, you possibly missed out.

I almost did, actually. Knocked it out on both consoles on one of the last days. Didn’t get many ingredients, so now I’m stuck with a permanent Triumph notification, since I didn’t knock them out either.

EDIT: Just be clear, I agree with you. We need more accessible machine guns. As far as I’m concerned, they should be raining down from the heavens—they’re stupidly fun and I want more! Just, I don’t think the situation is as dire as you’re implying.

Eh. Ultimately I guess it’s not a huge deal (except for the fact that the Forge machine gun outclasses the others), but it does reflect poorly on what we were told we’d be getting. But then again, that would rely on Bungie having a track record of being honest, which they haven’t exactly had for a while now.

Anyway, the point was that MG pickings are slim, and far slimmer if you’re expecting value on your existing purchase, because Bungie already technically fulfilled their end of the bargain.

Looks great!

by Harmanimus @, Friday, March 01, 2019, 09:56 (1917 days ago) @ Korny

You had 3 weeks to take less than 2 minutes to get it if you wanted it. Thunderlord wasn’t that much more of a time investment. I know people who weren’t playing Destiny but who knew they wanted it how took an hour or so to run through the quest steps in week 3 of the quest. I understand some people have life circumstances, but the bar to entry was like a wrinkle in some carpet to get over.

Looks great!

by EffortlessFury @, Friday, March 01, 2019, 13:57 (1917 days ago) @ Harmanimus

You had 3 weeks to take less than 2 minutes to get it if you wanted it. Thunderlord wasn’t that much more of a time investment. I know people who weren’t playing Destiny but who knew they wanted it how took an hour or so to run through the quest steps in week 3 of the quest. I understand some people have life circumstances, but the bar to entry was like a wrinkle in some carpet to get over.

The issue is staying on top of what limited time events are going on in the game when you're not actively playing it.

You had to actively try to not know that information.

by Harmanimus @, Friday, March 01, 2019, 15:02 (1917 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

- No text -

That's a pinch presumptuous...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 01, 2019, 16:31 (1917 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I mean, I knew ahead of time, and never remembered to get around to it until a few days before it ended.

You'd be surprised at how much info is pumped through the gaming airways alone, and how much of that becomes white noise.
I never got any of the other IKELOS weapons back when I cared, because I couldn't remember to run it on the week of the sniper/SMG.
I never got the Wishender bow, because I can't keep track of when it's available (I know it was available last week, but I never got around to running it, because other games had my attention).

If Destiny is all you play (or the main game you play), then yeah, I can see where you're coming from, but judging from my friend lists, that's hardly the case for most folks.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 01, 2019, 16:47 (1917 days ago) @ Korny

I mean, I knew ahead of time, and never remembered to get around to it until a few days before it ended.

You'd be surprised at how much info is pumped through the gaming airways alone, and how much of that becomes white noise.
I never got any of the other IKELOS weapons back when I cared, because I couldn't remember to run it on the week of the sniper/SMG.
I never got the Wishender bow, because I can't keep track of when it's available (I know it was available last week, but I never got around to running it, because other games had my attention).

If Destiny is all you play (or the main game you play), then yeah, I can see where you're coming from, but judging from my friend lists, that's hardly the case for most folks.

To your point, I’d guess that I put more hours into the game than most players, I spend a good chunk of time here and on Reddit daily, and I had no idea that Thunderlord was a limited-time quest. I did the quest, but I was completely unaware that it was going away.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, March 01, 2019, 19:41 (1916 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It was mentioned a few places. The @destinythegame twitter account a few days before the quest went away and in the Weekly Update of the week the cosmodrome step debuted. So the info was certainly there, but I was a little surprised at how few “times almost up” warnings there were. I don’t think there was a warning on the last day, for instance.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 01, 2019, 20:39 (1916 days ago) @ Ragashingo

It was mentioned a few places. The @destinythegame twitter account a few days before the quest went away and in the Weekly Update of the week the cosmodrome step debuted. So the info was certainly there, but I was a little surprised at how few “times almost up” warnings there were. I don’t think there was a warning on the last day, for instance.

If there was an in-game prompt, I certainly missed it. I don’t have Twitter, and I skip more of the TWABs than I read. All of which is on me. I’m just saying that it’s fully possible to be entirely engrossed in playing the game and still miss many of the little particulars of Destiny life. Also, it never would have occurred to me that a quest for a weapon would be limited time only. I’m still confused by that decision.

by Harmanimus @, Friday, March 01, 2019, 20:19 (1916 days ago) @ Korny

A little bit presumptuous, sure. But I would say if you let the information become white noise you already chose not to value what the information was providing. Anecdotally, a dude overheard me and a coworker talking about the Avalanche. He apparently hadn’t played in about 2 months at that point. But he logged in and got it because he “likes MGs.”

by EffortlessFury @, Saturday, March 02, 2019, 00:18 (1916 days ago) @ Harmanimus
edited by EffortlessFury, Saturday, March 02, 2019, 00:38

A little bit presumptuous, sure. But I would say if you let the information become white noise you already chose not to value what the information was providing. Anecdotally, a dude overheard me and a coworker talking about the Avalanche. He apparently hadn’t played in about 2 months at that point. But he logged in and got it because he “likes MGs.”

Well, FYI, lately I've been on info overload across all aspects of my life causing lots of anxiety. These live games tend to be a significant source of anxiety if I try to keep up. I've missed out on a lot of timed events I knew about whether I knew about it early or late, but over time I've known about them less and less because trying to keep up with it causes me actual stress. FOMO is going to cause some serious psychological damage in the years to come, I'm tellin' ya.

Either way, you're right. I don't prioritize hunting down this information for my own health's sake. I wish these timed events had much better (and discoverable) guides on what matters but that's not my place to ask of anyone.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 10:36 (1918 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

Snake decals on my armor? So excited.
They're not blue? So disappointed.

Annual Pass finally looks worth it

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 10:38 (1918 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

The Reckoning and Gambit Prime probably will make me finally pick up the Annual Pass.

Behind on Lore, but... *SPOILERS?*

by EffortlessFury @, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 10:57 (1918 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Have we known that the Drifter is Dredgen Yor?

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 11:42 (1918 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

I seem to recall it being implied in some lore pages and implied by the title you can earn but I don’t think it’s been outright stated before.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 11:51 (1918 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Dredgen is a title or level of infamy anyone can achieve. You can be a Dredgen. Dredgen Yor was a specific person. In the lore, Shin Malphur killed Dredgen Yor with two shots of Golden Gun. Permanently killed. As I believe Dredgen Yor parted with his Ghost some while before.

Also, Shin Malphur has been keeping tabs on and eliminating Guardians that start to stray Dredgen Yor’s path. Both Shin and the Vanguard have been keeping a close eye on Gambit and the Drifter. If Drifter was Dredgen Yor, I think there would already have been a second showdown.

by EffortlessFury @, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 13:20 (1918 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Dredgen is a title or level of infamy anyone can achieve. You can be a Dredgen. Dredgen Yor was a specific person. In the lore, Shin Malphur killed Dredgen Yor with two shots of Golden Gun. Permanently killed. As I believe Dredgen Yor parted with his Ghost some while before.

Also, Shin Malphur has been keeping tabs on and eliminating Guardians that start to stray Dredgen Yor’s path. Both Shin and the Vanguard have been keeping a close eye on Gambit and the Drifter. If Drifter was Dredgen Yor, I think there would already have been a second showdown.

Ah I see. Where is it clarified that Dredgen is a title?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 13:47 (1918 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

I mean, the fact that Dredgen is literally a title you can earn makes it pretty clear, doesn't it? There aren't thousands of Dredgen Yors running around.

by EffortlessFury @, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 20:22 (1917 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I mean, the fact that Dredgen is literally a title you can earn makes it pretty clear, doesn't it? There aren't thousands of Dredgen Yors running around.

Didn't know that; stopped paying attention to Titles when I realized I'd never meet the requirements to earn any of them.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 14:00 (1918 days ago) @ EffortlessFury
edited by Ragashingo, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 14:23

So, in Thorn 4 We have Dredgen Yor's Ghost vow to stop him from corrupting or killing the boy who is special. The only real way for a Ghost to stop a Guardian is to not revive them, which we've seen happen in The Chosen's Choice.

She looks away from the human carnage surrounding her. Looks down upon the one she chose. His golden armor, dulled with the blood of his victims and his adorers, still reflects back to her the light of her single eye.

He made his choice. And thus, so will she.

She turns her eye away from him, away from herself, and floats eastward toward the rising light.

The boy who is special refers to a child, a baby or toddler, who died but was then revived by a Ghost as seen in Confession of Hope Part One and Part Two

That child turns out to be Shin Malphur who Jaren Ward, the original owner of The Last Word, becomes like a father to. Jaren Ward is killed by Dredgen Yor who sees to it that The Last Word makes its way to Shin Malphur. He does this with the intent of providing Shin hope and then ripping it from him. It's Dredgen Yor who is quoted as saying in II: For Fear of the Conquering Hero: "Nothing dies like hope." But, based on the end of the Thorn 4 log... I also kinda suspect Dredgen Yor understood the monster he'd become and he himself had a sliver of hope that Shin Malphur would defeat him.

[u.1:3.1] The cannon. You wish to tempt the boy. To spur him on and fuel his rage. There is intent there. The actions of a man, monstrous, mad or otherwise... you are nothing more.
[u.2:3.4] And what value does your conclusion bring, flawed as it may be?
[u.1:3.2] That a hurricane can only be weathered, not stopped. Not redirected. A force of nature is uncaring and without intent, but a man...
[u.2:3.5] Yes?
[u.1:3.3] A man is none of those things.
[silence]
[u.1:3.4] A man can be killed.
[silence]
[u.2:3.6] And there it is...
[u.1:3.5] There what is...?
[u.2:3.7] A sliver of hope.

The showdown at Dwindler's Ridge, where Shin Malphur and Dredgen Yor face off for the last time, is something of a legend to Guardians, especially Hunters. Even Shin Malphur thinks so as seen in VI: A Gift and a Touch of Gray

So, Shin Malphur certainly thinks he permanently killed Dredgen Yor. And he has hunted and killed other Guardians going down a dark path as per IV: Something New. It'd be pretty odd for a Guardian like that to let his mortal enemy/killer of his father figure to be revived by his Ghost.

As for Dredgen being a title, we have two instance where it is translated:

Thorn 4:

[u.1:2.8] You claim to be a vessel, a hollow shell where once a man stood, but that is just a lie. The man is still in you.
[u.2:3.1] There is no man here, I am now, and for the rest of time, only Dredgen Yor.
[u.1:2.9] “The Eternal Abyss?”
[u.2:3.2] So, not all the forgotten languages are dead.

and II: For Fear of the Conquering Hero:

This man who craved fear, who inflicted its curse on all he encountered, once conquered the life or death game that would become your training ground. Seeing you, and other Guardians, enforce your will over your fellow champions of the Light is reminiscent of the ease with which he was said to dispatch his rivals. But you are not his equal. None are. Not Lord Shaxx. Not Commander Zavala. None of his "shadows" or the new breed who wear his title like a badge of honor. "Dredgen" means "abyss." It is an ancient tongue. Not Human. Not Hive. Just forgotten arcana—another layer of uncertainty and fear draped around a bastard to provide comfort against his sins. It means "nothing." It is a void. As is his path. And while you enjoy your victories and embrace the competitive fires of the Crucible, I would ask you to reflect once more upon yourself…

Well, and all the Guardians bouncing around the Tower with Dredgen beneath their names...

by EffortlessFury @, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 20:29 (1917 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Thank you for all the bits of lore. ^_^ I'd actually read most of the Thorn/The Last Word story in the Dark Mirror release but I only picked up certain bits from the first pass.

Season of Opulence

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 10:58 (1918 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

Seems like we are going back to the Leviathan no? That certainly describes Calus and the ship.

Season of Opulence

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 11:31 (1918 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

The only thing I am asking for in that raid..

[image]

Yes please!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, March 01, 2019, 07:02 (1917 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Looks fun. But...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 16:31 (1918 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

Time is not my friend. Or is it? I don't know. I've made great strides as of late, but I'm not done yet. I've not touched Destiny in 72 Days, but I can't help but think of what I'm "missing". It's a shame that, when I really had time - most of Destiny was crap.

Now? Man, the whole vibe is different. I didn't hear anything about organization though, which at this point is my biggest existing gripe with Destiny. My Vault is... my room when I was 4, with the added benefit of being a pack-rat because "Oh this might be good". Bleh.

I ramble. I would like to play, but even if in a brief moment opens up, can ya'll help me? Get in, and get out? Will Destiny even let us do that? Everything so built over days and weeks that a few hours can seem a mockery of efforts.

I guess we'll find out should I try, if I try, if I can.

Looks fun. But...

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 16:41 (1918 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I ramble. I would like to play, but even if in a brief moment opens up, can ya'll help me? Get in, and get out? Will Destiny even let us do that? Everything so built over days and weeks that a few hours can seem a mockery of efforts.

I guess we'll find out should I try, if I try, if I can.

I hear you. I'm honestly afraid that Destiny just isn't that type of game. Sure, you can probably jump in and hit up Gambit Prime, maybe jump into the Reckoning. To what end?

It's part of the reason I've gravitated to Apex Legends. Partly, it hit at the right time, when I had accomplished the things I wanted in Destiny (besides getting some exotics, for which there is no actually clear path, except for simply playing more hours than I'd like). The other part, though, is that Apex Legends is inherently compelling and fun, with no extraneous bullshit. Each match is a self-contained experience that is not predicated on me having played for 100 hours so that I have the correct gear to make it more fun.

I am extremely interested in what they showed today for Destiny, but I am equally apprehensive about being sucked back into that loop.

Annual Pass is still on sale for $24.49 on PSN.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 21:19 (1917 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f
edited by Korny, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 21:36

Looks like today's the last day that it's finally being sold at a reasonable price!

No sale for either PC or Xbox... yet.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread