Whoa.

by stan, Monday, February 18, 2013, 14:53 (4056 days ago)

That's all I gotta say.

To expand on this:

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, February 18, 2013, 15:05 (4056 days ago) @ stan

Activision isn't betting lightly on Destiny. It just dawned on me how ridiculously ballsy this whole thing is.

Normal AAA game budgets can be in the range of a few tens of millions of dollars. For instance, Uncharted 2 officially had a budget of $20M. Sometimes big ones run higher, every once in a while several times higher.

Destiny is being developed by a studio of 350 people over the course of several years. That alone means we're easily looking at upper tens of millions. Once everything else that happens in the development of a AAA game is taken into account, including contracting other studios, a final development budget of well over $100M would not be shocking. If so, Destiny would be very close to the top of the list of most expensive game development projects ever.

And Destiny is not an established name.

And it's a game that nobody seems quite sure how to even categorize.

And Activision and Bungie have laid out a 10-year plan for it.

I have no idea what Destiny is, but the ambition of the project is mind-blowing. There's a reason Bungie talked about being bigger than Halo in that vidoc: they're trying to capture a ton of lightnings in their bottles, and at some level they sort of have to.

Totally...

by stan, Monday, February 18, 2013, 15:17 (4056 days ago) @ uberfoop

But my 'whoa' had more to do with the existence and layout of DBO.

But what you said too.

This whole thing made me :)

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, February 18, 2013, 15:34 (4056 days ago) @ stan

- No text -

I like this.

by Atsumi ⌂, Jefferson City, MO, Monday, February 18, 2013, 20:07 (4056 days ago) @ uberfoop

It gives me hope that more publishers will drop money and take risks on new IPs.

I like this.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, February 18, 2013, 20:30 (4056 days ago) @ Atsumi

Must have been one hell of a presentation Bungie gave Activation to get the project rolling.

To have been a fly on the wall in that meeting…

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, February 18, 2013, 21:56 (4056 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

I like this.

by TDSpiral ⌂ @, TDS Gaming Shack, WA, Monday, February 18, 2013, 21:58 (4056 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Must have been one hell of a presentation Bungie gave Activation to get the project rolling.

Either that or this guy:

[image]

I would imagine that creating one of the most successful modern gaming franchises helps.

This guy?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, February 18, 2013, 22:15 (4056 days ago) @ TDSpiral

[image]?

Ok, I'll bite, who is he?

This guy?

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, February 18, 2013, 22:34 (4056 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Whoever he is, he prepares for battles with aliens by dressing up in beat-up metal plating. So there's that.

This guy?

by ferrex, Monday, February 18, 2013, 23:04 (4056 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Looks like Sergeant Lehto.

I like this.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 09:26 (4056 days ago) @ Ragashingo

"Hi, we made Halo. We're making a new thing. If you want a cut, now is the time to invest."

End of presentation.

I am definitely loving the shooting for the stars

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, February 18, 2013, 23:54 (4056 days ago) @ uberfoop

- No text -

To expand on this:

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 13:52 (4055 days ago) @ uberfoop

To do some spitballing:

10 years of development
x350 staff
-----
3500 man-years
x $70 000 (WAG) average pay+benefits/man-year
-----
$245 million

That's just payroll; that doesn't include marketing, infrastructure costs, profits for Bungie LLC, studio rental, outside talent (voice actors, orchestra, etc), or other stuff.

Assuming this doesn't get cancelled, Activision's betting huge on Destiny.

-- Steve thinks it's a good bet, but still the numbers are mind-boggling.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread