99% shameless self promotion, 1% gaming/Destiny related (Off-Topic)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, February 01, 2021, 07:47 (1178 days ago)

A few DBO regulars seemed to enjoy my last album, so I thought I’d let you all know I have another one coming out soon:

As part of the lead-up to the launch of the album, I released a new music video today for one of the tracks on the album:

So this video has a bit of a fun story behind it.

About 6 weeks ago, I was in the last stages of getting the album finalized and ready for release. As part of that process, I listen to the album constantly for about a week. I play it over and over in the background of whatever I’m doing, constantly looking for little things that might still need fixing. I downloaded an app onto my Xbox that allows me to stream music from my phone to my Xbox and run it in the background while I’m playing games, including Destiny 2.

So one night I was playing the Deep Stone Crypt raid with some friends. I had the Destiny music muted, so I could play my new album in the background. By complete coincidence, the song I just posted above (North Star) began to play right as we entered the “space walk” portion of the raid... and it was a perfect fit. The mood and atmosphere of that song worked so well with the outer space aesthetic that I instantly wanted to put the 2 together in a video. But after messing around with it for a bit, I realized that Destiny 2 wasn’t going to work for a few logistical reasons. So I started thinking about alternatives. I recorded a few short clips using Star Wars Squadrons, and that was cool, but then I jumped over to No Man’s Sky and it just clicked. So I used that to create the final video.

w00t!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, February 01, 2021, 08:00 (1178 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Love your music, man.

It did go pretty well with that NMS clip. Great choice of planet too. Throw a mention to Sean Murray in a tweet with this, might get you some mighty exposure. He loves to repost fan art.

w00t!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, February 01, 2021, 11:59 (1178 days ago) @ ZackDark

Love your music, man.

It did go pretty well with that NMS clip. Great choice of planet too. Throw a mention to Sean Murray in a tweet with this, might get you some mighty exposure. He loves to repost fan art.

Thanks!

I don’t have Twitter, but I found him on Instagram and sent it to him there.

99% shameless self promotion, 1% gaming/Destiny related

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 01, 2021, 08:11 (1178 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'll give you up to $900 for a signed physical copy.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, February 01, 2021, 08:23 (1178 days ago) @ Cody Miller

CD, Vinyl, or Cassette? :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 01, 2021, 08:25 (1178 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

CD, what do you think I am, a hipster?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, February 01, 2021, 08:27 (1178 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Well I wasn’t planning on making physical copies at this time, but $900 would more than cover a first run, so... ;)

by Claude Errera @, Monday, February 01, 2021, 11:46 (1178 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Well I wasn’t planning on making physical copies at this time, but $900 would more than cover a first run, so... ;)

Watch the 'up to' in that offer.

Lol

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, February 01, 2021, 11:58 (1178 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, February 01, 2021, 08:55 (1178 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Well...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 01, 2021, 09:01 (1178 days ago) @ ZackDark

Well...

[image]

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, February 01, 2021, 11:13 (1178 days ago) @ ZackDark

Well...

[image]

Vinyl

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 03, 2021, 09:15 (1148 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Just don't call me a hipster.

Vinyl

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 03, 2021, 09:21 (1148 days ago) @ Kermit

Just don't call me a hipster.

It's so hipster to hate hipsters.

by marmot 1333 @, Sunday, February 07, 2021, 16:24 (1171 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

North Star is amazing. I'm excited to hear your new album and I'm glad you posted about it.

I'm really curious about your methodology. Do you use hardware synths? What DAW do you use? What hardware/soft synths do you like to use? Which one was on North Star? (trade secrets I know)

Also, I've been meaning to show this to you for a long time, but it was way too hard to figure out how to get the image off my phone and shown on this forum. I think on one other screen it was both your photo and your name, but I didn't screen-grab that one. That image was from Dec 24th FYI.

[image]

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, February 07, 2021, 23:37 (1171 days ago) @ marmot 1333

North Star is amazing. I'm excited to hear your new album and I'm glad you posted about it.

Thanks so much! I’m glad you like it.

I'm really curious about your methodology. Do you use hardware synths? What DAW do you use? What hardware/soft synths do you like to use? Which one was on North Star? (trade secrets I know)

For my DAW, I use Sonar. I’ve used a few others in the past, but I ended up with a copy of Sonar years ago through my old job, and have kept running with it ever since, out of familiarity more than anything else. If I were starting from scratch today, I’d probably go with Ableton Live, but most of the features that make AL unique (the looping and performance stuff) are features I don’t really have much use for, so Sonar has been totally fine for me.

As for my synths, I’m using all hardware synths these days.
My most-used synth is the Synthstrom Deluge:

This little box is like the backbone of my whole recording process. It’s a synthesizer, drum machine, sampler, with its own multi-track sequencer built in. It’s almost like having a second DAW. The sequencer is really flexible, but also quick and easy to use. Once you’ve created a sequence, you can then use it to play the built-in synth engine, or you can send it out via MIDI to control other synths.

So I’ll typically use the Deluge to create my drum parts, along with the bulk of my other instrumentation. Once I have the arrangement in the sequencer, I’ll experiment with different sounds from the deluge and from other hardware synths.

For example, in this video, almost everything you hear is coming straight out of the deluge, except for 1 melody which is coming from the Korg Minilogue XD (my other favourite synth at the moment). In Korg is receiving MIDI from the Deluge, while the Deluge itself is creating all the other sounds and playing them all in real time.

I have a bunch of other little hardware synths that I’ll use from time to time as well. Several of the Korg Volcas, and a few of the Roland Boutique series (the JU-06 is a favourite of mine). I also have the OP-1 from Teenage Engineering. Didn't end up using it on this new album, but it’s all over my previous one.

My actual process when I’m creating a new song varies. Sometimes I’ll sit in front of my Deluge and create an entire song from scratch, track by track, and then record all the parts into my computer and shuffle them all around as I work out the arrangement. North Star is actually a piece I wrote on guitar last year, but ended up turning into a synth piece for the album (most of the synth sounds in North Star are coming from the Korg Minilogue). Another track on the album, Follow the River, began with me fumbling around in the piano, then became this and eventually this. Then there are songs like “Traffic” from my previous album, which began as a mellow, moody synth melody, and then grew over the course of 3 years into the biggest, most intricately layered song I’ve ever recorded, lol.

Also, I've been meaning to show this to you for a long time, but it was way too hard to figure out how to get the image off my phone and shown on this forum. I think on one other screen it was both your photo and your name, but I didn't screen-grab that one. That image was from Dec 24th FYI.

That’s really cool! It’s easy to feel like a grain of sand on the beach when you’re putting your own stuff out there with no marketing behind you, so it’s nice to see platforms like Spotify are actually helping people find my music :)

[image]

Yeah!

by nico, Monday, February 15, 2021, 11:26 (1164 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That's a really cool tune. Looking forward to the new record!

Thanks!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, February 18, 2021, 08:09 (1161 days ago) @ nico

- No text -

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, February 21, 2021, 17:57 (1157 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I forgot to tell you, I purchased Attention. ;-)

Since I bought Marty's album last time, I bought yours this time. I'll get Future Past on an upcoming paycheck.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, February 22, 2021, 15:23 (1157 days ago) @ Morpheus

I forgot to tell you, I purchased Attention. ;-)

Since I bought Marty's album last time, I bought yours this time. I'll get Future Past on an upcoming paycheck.

Wow, thanks! I really appreciate it. I hope you like it!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 04:45 (1134 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Dead serious, it took me a full month to listen to this album. When I bought it, I figured I'd start my day-driving with it, but it was nowhere! Not my phone, or my computer or even in recent purchases. After several days and weeks trying to find out the problem, including a soul-grinding 94-minute 6-transfer call, I eventually found out that the purchase magically hid itself for no reason! Get this—I unhide it and decide to finally give it a listen. Nope! As a result of un-hiding the purchase, some songs were authorized for me to play and some were not. I'm still trying to unlock the rest of them, but what I was authorized to play what I paid for, I did enjoy. It was pretty relaxing, and it felt good in my head not having to worry about lyrics to remember. The first couple of tracks immediately felt like they could be the cool reveal music for the newest iPhone; I could actually picture the phone rotating around the camera and stuff, like they usually do. Hell, they can probably play that music in the actual stores! My favorite track is definitely Swing. I could really let my imagination fly with that one.

It was fun! What I could listen to, anyway. I'll pick up FP as promised, later this month. Looking forward to it.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 11:47 (1134 days ago) @ Morpheus

Dead serious, it took me a full month to listen to this album. When I bought it, I figured I'd start my day-driving with it, but it was nowhere! Not my phone, or my computer or even in recent purchases. After several days and weeks trying to find out the problem, including a soul-grinding 94-minute 6-transfer call, I eventually found out that the purchase magically hid itself for no reason! Get this—I unhide it and decide to finally give it a listen. Nope! As a result of un-hiding the purchase, some songs were authorized for me to play and some were not. I'm still trying to unlock the rest of them, but what I was authorized to play what I paid for, I did enjoy. It was pretty relaxing, and it felt good in my head not having to worry about lyrics to remember. The first couple of tracks immediately felt like they could be the cool reveal music for the newest iPhone; I could actually picture the phone rotating around the camera and stuff, like they usually do. Hell, they can probably play that music in the actual stores! My favorite track is definitely Swing. I could really let my imagination fly with that one.

It was fun! What I could listen to, anyway. I'll pick up FP as promised, later this month. Looking forward to it.

Geez, I’m sorry to hear about the technical problems. Do you mind if I ask which platform you purchased it from? (iTUNES, Amazon, etc?)

If you don’t have any luck getting the purchase to work, just let me know and I’ll send you whichever tracks you’re still missing.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, March 18, 2021, 19:01 (1132 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

iTunes. I purchased it through my phone, which in hindsight was a bad idea. I should have better luck with the computer itself, since that will automatically lock it to my account.

As for the songs, I haven't had a chance to try the batch just yet, but it should be okay, so there's no need; I appreciate it though!

Although, you could autograph the album artwork and e-mail it to me... ;-)

Good god, now that's shameless!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 19, 2021, 06:02 (1132 days ago) @ Morpheus

iTunes. I purchased it through my phone, which in hindsight was a bad idea. I should have better luck with the computer itself, since that will automatically lock it to my account.

As for the songs, I haven't had a chance to try the batch just yet, but it should be okay, so there's no need; I appreciate it though!

I’ve run into strange problems with iTunes as well; specifically when I try to re-download previous purchases on my phone. I’ve had albums disappear from my “purchased” list, and when I view the album in the store, the “download” button is greyed out and won’t let me click it. Either that, or I keep getting sent to the Apple Music sign-up page.

The workaround I’ve discovered is go to the artist’s catalogue in the iTunes Store, and I find the individual songs I need to re-download (not under the “albums” section, but in the individual “songs” section). I click the “buy” button next to the song, and a moment later a prompt will pop up saying something like “you’ve already purchased this song, would you like to download it again?”. I click “yes”, and it downloads to my phone. I have to do that for each individual song. It’s super weird, and a pain in the butt, and it happens more often than it should. But so far that work-around has worked every time for me.

Although, you could autograph the album artwork and e-mail it to me... ;-)

Good god, now that's shameless!

I can certainly do that :)

Album is out now

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, February 28, 2021, 21:39 (1150 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Future Past just became available on Spotify, itunes/apple music, and all the usual places.

I also put another one of the tracks from the album on YouTube today:

Album is out now

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Sunday, February 28, 2021, 23:09 (1150 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Wish I had a driver's license (and a car) just so I could cruise down the highway while listening to tunes like this.

Album is out now

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, February 28, 2021, 23:17 (1150 days ago) @ CyberKN

Wish I had a driver's license (and a car) just so I could cruise down the highway while listening to tunes like this.

Just play it in iTunes while you run Outrun in an emulator.

[image]

Album is out now

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 01, 2021, 10:41 (1150 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Just play it in iTunes while you run Outrun in an emulator.

[image]

Oh man, I don’t usually hope for remakes, but a new Outrun could be pretty darn cool!

Album is out now

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 01, 2021, 11:13 (1150 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Oh man, I don’t usually hope for remakes, but a new Outrun could be pretty darn cool!

If it did get a remake, there's no way in this day and age there'd still be a blonde-as-accessory in the convertible with you.

Album is out now

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 01, 2021, 10:40 (1150 days ago) @ CyberKN

Heh, so do I :) Thanks for checking it out!

Album is out now

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, March 01, 2021, 01:11 (1150 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Future Past just became available on Spotify, itunes/apple music, and all the usual places.

And you didn't even throw a tantrum about Redditors to christen it?

Album is out now

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 01, 2021, 07:51 (1150 days ago) @ Korny

Watch out Cruel, banhammer incoming.

Album is out now

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 01, 2021, 12:11 (1150 days ago) @ Korny

I haven’t earned that right yet ;)

Album is out now

by cheapLEY @, Monday, March 01, 2021, 17:20 (1149 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I spent a bunch of the day finding all the penguins I missed and knocking out Variks stuff, and a lot of the album fits really well with the Europa aesthetic.

It's good stuff!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread