Halo Infinite Campaign (Trailer?) (Gaming)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, October 25, 2021, 06:27 (921 days ago)

I look forward to some new adventures.

Halo Infinite Campaign (Trailer?)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, October 25, 2021, 08:30 (921 days ago) @ Revenant1988

The new AI's dialogue seems a little annoying, but everything else has me interested. Especially the Just Cause-style skyjacking.

Looks like the gameplay will be fun!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, October 25, 2021, 09:11 (921 days ago) @ Revenant1988

It’s a shame that we won’t be able to co-op this. It just oozes opportunities for sabotage-related shenanigans.

I don’t know how I feel about the story (given that the trailer confirms the campaign leaks) but the dialogue is better than the fan-fiction-tier melodrama of Halo 5. Not great, but it’ll be sci-fi fun, and that’s all we can ask for.

Just wish the Pilot’s VO could do any voice other than Octane.

'no coop' yet!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, October 25, 2021, 10:42 (921 days ago) @ Korny

This looked so much fun I might actually play it before co-op launches.

Also, the pilot owes me an 'UEPA!' snuck in there somewhere.

Looks like the gameplay will be fun!

by EffortlessFury @, Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 14:30 (920 days ago) @ Korny

I don’t know how I feel about the story (given that the trailer confirms the campaign leaks) but the dialogue is better than the fan-fiction-tier melodrama of Halo 5. Not great, but it’ll be sci-fi fun, and that’s all we can ask for.

I've avoided all leak details and want to keep it that way, but I've heard a lot of positive sentiment from the story leaks? Do you just have a personal distaste for it?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 25, 2021, 09:38 (921 days ago) @ Revenant1988

22 years later, it's finally going to be a reality. Except you're fighting Brutes not Elites, but whatever.

99 Macworld vibes intensify.

You're Fighting Both, Actually!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, October 25, 2021, 17:41 (921 days ago) @ Cody Miller

They're pissed at you again. ;-)

Or maybe it's the Schism elites, not sure.

Banished Elites

by EffortlessFury @, Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 11:49 (920 days ago) @ Morpheus

They're pissed at you again. ;-)

Or maybe it's the Schism elites, not sure.

There are Elites who left the Covenant for the Banished over the years, not to mention there are probably more that have joined in the post-Halo 3 years.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 06:23 (920 days ago) @ Cody Miller

22 years later, it's finally going to be a reality. Except you're fighting Brutes not Elites, but whatever.

99 Macworld vibes intensify.

Definitely the vibes I got, I hope they stick the landing.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 25, 2021, 11:54 (921 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I think it looks fine. The most recent flight sold me in the gameplay. They nailed it.

I’m more hesitant about the open world aspect of the campaign. I’m totally here for Far Cry Halo, but what I saw in that overview didn’t sell me on it. Open world games have always had the issue of actually filling the world with fun things to do, and with pacing those things. That trailer made it look like there were big stretches of nothing. I keep thinking about the open sections of Gears 5, which were bad. They served nothing, and I hope this doesn’t make the same mistake. This isn’t The Witcher 3 or Red Dead Redemption 2, where one could just sort of luxuriate in inhabiting such a detailed, immersive world. If the open world is just big for the sake of it, where we end up driving a Warthog for three minutes to the next thing, I don’t think that’s very good. I hope it’s not that, but that’s honestly the impression I got from that video.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 25, 2021, 11:59 (921 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Death Stranding has forever ruined other open world games and exposed this lack.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 25, 2021, 12:29 (921 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I mean, I love Death Stranding. I love how active just walking through the world is. But it’s also completely empty. With very rare exception, there is no reason to deviate from the ideal path. There’s nothing to discover. That’s not a knock on Death Stranding. The reason to explore is because it’s often necessary to overcome obstacles in making deliveries. Halo cannot mimic that, though.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 25, 2021, 14:38 (921 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, October 25, 2021, 14:43

I mean, I love Death Stranding. I love how active just walking through the world is. But it’s also completely empty. With very rare exception, there is no reason to deviate from the ideal path. There’s nothing to discover. That’s not a knock on Death Stranding. The reason to explore is because it’s often necessary to overcome obstacles in making deliveries. Halo cannot mimic that, though.

I'm not sure I agree. I explored a lot… because it was fun for its own sake. That was because just moving around in the world was engaging. There was nothing here in terms of story or powerups:

[image]

But I was very satisfied and happy just getting there and finding it. That's what I mean when I say it's exposed the flaw in many open world games. For them, there is no joy in mere traversal.

Halo always kind of had this in a roundabout way: tricking. Maybe we can get Rockslider playing Halo Infinite for the next 20 years.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 06:23 (920 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think it looks fine. The most recent flight sold me in the gameplay. They nailed it.

I’m more hesitant about the open world aspect of the campaign. I’m totally here for Far Cry Halo, but what I saw in that overview didn’t sell me on it. Open world games have always had the issue of actually filling the world with fun things to do, and with pacing those things. That trailer made it look like there were big stretches of nothing. I keep thinking about the open sections of Gears 5, which were bad. They served nothing, and I hope this doesn’t make the same mistake. This isn’t The Witcher 3 or Red Dead Redemption 2, where one could just sort of luxuriate in inhabiting such a detailed, immersive world. If the open world is just big for the sake of it, where we end up driving a Warthog for three minutes to the next thing, I don’t think that’s very good. I hope it’s not that, but that’s honestly the impression I got from that video.

That's very much a "balance" thing where if they hit the sweet spot it'll be pretty awesome. I for one hope it's a pretty big space but not massive.

I'd like there to be pockets of calm that allow the game to breath that make the ring feel like a location instead of a stage. It reminds me.... ok I'm having a terrible time finding a solid source/interview where Hayao Miyazaki talks about injecting moments of calm in his films to, ok I found it (@movierdo - I'm not familiar with the site, so take with a grain of salt)

“We have a word for that in Japanese. It’s called ma. Emptiness. It’s there intentionally… if you just have non-stop action with no breathing space at all, it’s just busy-ness. but if you take a moment, then the tension building in the film can grow into a wider dimension.”

So I'd counter "big for the sake of it" with "big for the sake of pacing". Of course it could end up being too big, but I hope not.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 08:18 (920 days ago) @ kidtsunami

That's very much a "balance" thing where if they hit the sweet spot it'll be pretty awesome. I for one hope it's a pretty big space but not massive.

I'd like there to be pockets of calm that allow the game to breath that make the ring feel like a location instead of a stage. It reminds me.... ok I'm having a terrible time finding a solid source/interview where Hayao Miyazaki talks about injecting moments of calm in his films to, ok I found it (@movierdo - I'm not familiar with the site, so take with a grain of salt)

“We have a word for that in Japanese. It’s called ma. Emptiness. It’s there intentionally… if you just have non-stop action with no breathing space at all, it’s just busy-ness. but if you take a moment, then the tension building in the film can grow into a wider dimension.”

So I'd counter "big for the sake of it" with "big for the sake of pacing". Of course it could end up being too big, but I hope not.

Honestly I thought Assassin's creed valhalla struck a very good balance between the two. And if it's the same realm as that then I'm perfectly okay with it. Of course that game came off the previous Assassin's Creed which was waaaaay too big so maybe it was recovering from AC PTSD. I also wonder if and how they do checkpoints/teleporting points to move around the map if it's really that big.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 10:29 (920 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Honestly I thought Assassin's creed valhalla struck a very good balance between the two. And if it's the same realm as that then I'm perfectly okay with it. Of course that game came off the previous Assassin's Creed which was waaaaay too big so maybe it was recovering from AC PTSD. I also wonder if and how they do checkpoints/teleporting points to move around the map if it's really that big.

You can see a "Fast Travel not enabled" message on the map. So there'll be some form of teleportation.

by EffortlessFury @, Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 11:51 (920 days ago) @ kidtsunami

You can see a "Fast Travel not enabled" message on the map. So there'll be some form of teleportation.

You might get dropped off by a Pelican into the area you're fast travelling to. That sounds neat.

Meh.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 19:33 (919 days ago) @ Revenant1988
edited by INSANEdrive, Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 19:45

Not to be contrarian simply for its own sake, but... there's nothing in here that makes this a day one play. Then again, that was true anyway with building standard of releasing an unfinished game, A.K.A "Where is the Halo Staple Co-Op Mode?", and fixing it later on. Plus, man... they are REALLY going in all ham with that Grappling Hook. I think I've said this before, in one of the many ways only my posts can (:P), but it really has me scratching my head here. Is it that it feels like some sort of violation of a tried and true game-play loop...or... SOMETHING?

It's ... ... ... what they are using to sell this game. It should be the world right? THE SANDBOX. Not just one new toy in the sandbox, BUT ALL THE POTENTIAL this wider Halo Sandbox can give. And I'm just not seeing it. The "Story" of whatever this is reeks too hard of "We needed a way to justify this". It feels forced. With this being 343, EVEN WITH Joseph Staten helping steer this ship, I need something that washes out that bad taste I get from 343's renditions in 4 & 5.

I'm not even sure I want to poke it right now.

Edit: One more thing. It occurs to me that if this was say when Halo 5 came out, may have been different. That on the face of it, the little that is shown would be enough to bring about some sort of excitement. In such a span there have been more and more large free roaming game play worlds. Witcher 3, Red Dead 2, Pray 2, Ubisofts Games... eh so on. What brings it all together? What makes one game feel like a whole package, while other games can feel like a bunch of scattered lonely tricks. Cool on the surface but ultimately hallow to play. I'm not sure I have the words to answer that right now, but "feel" wise, I'm just not seeing it in Halo Infinite yet.

Meh.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 19:56 (919 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Kind of agree. Trailer doesn't change anything for me. One thing that makes it a day one, or week one, play for me is that I really liked the feel of the multiplayer, which gives me hope for the campaign.Part of what made Halo Halo was the "gamefeel."

Meh.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 20:02 (919 days ago) @ Kermit

Kind of agree. Trailer doesn't change anything for me. One thing that makes it a day one, or week one, play for me is that I really liked the feel of the multiplayer, which gives me hope for the campaign.Part of what made Halo Halo was the "gamefeel."

I miss when multiplayer was a selling point for me. Then again, I would get all worked up for ostensibly no reason on something that was supposed to be a opt-in past time. So kinda not too.

But yeah... that's the nail on the head. "Gamefeel".

Meh.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 20:11 (919 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I miss when multiplayer was a selling point for me. Then again, I would get all worked up for ostensibly no reason on something that was supposed to be a opt-in past time. So kinda not too.

But yeah... that's the nail on the head. "Gamefeel".

Don't get me wrong--I'm a campaign guy, even though I played more Halo multiplayer than any other multiplayer. Just saying that since the multiplayer felt right, maybe the campaign will, too, and that's no small thing.

Meh.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 05:48 (919 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Not to be contrarian simply for its own sake, but... there's nothing in here that makes this a day one play. Then again, that was true anyway with building standard of releasing an unfinished game, A.K.A "Where is the Halo Staple Co-Op Mode?", and fixing it later on. Plus, man... they are REALLY going in all ham with that Grappling Hook. I think I've said this before, in one of the many ways only my posts can (:P), but it really has me scratching my head here. Is it that it feels like some sort of violation of a tried and true game-play loop...or... SOMETHING?

[image]

Meh.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 07:35 (919 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I did not use the grappling hook once during the flights. I kept forgetting but still.

Meh.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 09:08 (919 days ago) @ Kermit

I did not use the grappling hook once during the flights. I kept forgetting but still.

I specifically sought it out (and had ample opportunity during the BTB matches) and it was a lot of fun. Felt like it expanded the scope of the sandbox while playing well with the aspects of it (e.g. Movement? Zip over there, Vehicles? Zip to them, Weapons? Zip it to you, Melee? Zip to your target). I got myself killed more often than not but hot damn I was having fun.

Meh.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 11:17 (919 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I get the point and half agree.

The other half of me sees that as the developers saying: YOU figure out the rules / limitations that make the game most fun, and not our designers.

Emergent gameplay fans would like a word

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 11:25 (919 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Emergent gameplay fans would like a word

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 12:02 (919 days ago) @ ZackDark

Lol. You know that I don't think "emergent gameplay" is a thing.

You may have interactions that were not foreseen, but that isn't emergent.

Merriam-Webster would like a word

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 12:12 (919 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Lol. You know that I don't think "emergent gameplay" is a thing.

You may have interactions that were not foreseen, but that isn't emergent.

[image]

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 12:58 (919 days ago) @ CyberKN

Right but we are talking about simulations here.

An emergent phenomenon is the result of an error of the simulation cascading into major effects. For instance, some thing outside the simulation is effecting it. But the game code is the final word and by definition the correct simulation. I guess when that cosmic ray hit that one speedrunner's console and Mario zoomed to the ceiling counts as emergent gameplay, but that's once in a lifetime.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 13:09 (919 days ago) @ Cody Miller

An emergent phenomenon is the result of an error of the simulation cascading into major effects. For instance, some thing outside the simulation is effecting it. But the game code is the final word and by definition the correct simulation. I guess when that cosmic ray hit that one speedrunner's console and Mario zoomed to the ceiling counts as emergent gameplay, but that's once in a lifetime.

Not to start a big debate, but I suppose the thing with term "emergent gameplay" is that it doesn't specify whether the gameplay appears emergent to the player, or the developer, or both.

As a player, I don't care, I just think it's a fun experience when I try something that the game doesn't explicitly spell out as an option, and it just works.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 13:10 (919 days ago) @ CyberKN

As a player, I don't care, I just think it's a fun experience when I try something that the game doesn't explicitly spell out as an option, and it just works.

I'd say that's just called good sandbox design :-p

by EffortlessFury @, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 18:18 (919 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"Emergent Gameplay" is not being defined in a technical sense, it is being defined in a design sense. It's not necessarily unplanned for behavior in the simulation, but unplanned for by the designer.

It's a Sandbox, not a linear roller coaster

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 11:42 (919 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I get the point and half agree.

The other half of me sees that as the developers saying: YOU figure out the rules / limitations that make the game most fun, and not our designers.

I think the key thing here is there is no one true way to wring the most fun out of a game that applies to every single person.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 14:16 (919 days ago) @ kidtsunami

No, but I’d argue that a developer telling someone to just not use a gameplay mechanic is silly (just as asking for a mode without it is silly).

If the mechanic is non-essential and no encounters are designed around its use, why is there to begin with? I’d argue that’s bad game design, as a general rule.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 14:59 (919 days ago) @ cheapLEY

No, but I’d argue that a developer telling someone to just not use a gameplay mechanic is silly (just as asking for a mode without it is silly).

If the mechanic is non-essential and no encounters are designed around its use, why is there to begin with? I’d argue that’s bad game design, as a general rule.

Wait, really? So the fact that I can have a perfectly good time in Destiny COMPLETELY IGNORING shotguns means that their inclusion in the game is bad game design?

(Actually, I'd agree with that, because shotguns are stupid, but I don't think that's the point.)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 16:01 (919 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Sort of, honestly. I think it’s a missed opportunity at the very least if you’ve never had a situation in Destiny where you wished you had a shotgun. Did you not use a Shotgun for Taniks?

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 16:21 (919 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Sort of, honestly. I think it’s a missed opportunity at the very least if you’ve never had a situation in Destiny where you wished you had a shotgun. Did you not use a Shotgun for Taniks?

Yes, and after 25 runs, that Masterworked shotgun had 8 kills on its kill counter.

(This season, you can beat its damage with fusions. Just like Templar - old meta was double shotties + Anarchy, now it's Null Composure/1KV.)

Missing the point.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 16:41 (919 days ago) @ kidtsunami

First of all "then don't use it" is just a gosh darned lazy bullshit answer, I really don't want to go into why. Please don't make me.

Second, I'm not hate'n on the Grappling Hook. I'm hating on the sell. As I did in the linked post therein, I do so now. Seen shit before, and calling out with my 2¢. All of which might I add is very warranted. Compared to where this Halo appeared about year ago, it's obviously had time to improve, but I do not know how much. It's probably no longer a Cyberpunk 2077 debacle anyway.

That's where the sell comes in. And I'm not seeing it... yet. Yet.

Missing the point.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, October 28, 2021, 05:10 (918 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

First of all "then don't use it" is just a gosh darned lazy bullshit answer, I really don't want to go into why. Please don't make me.

Oh, when used seriously, it is, but in context it's tongue-in-cheek, not a serious answer. The CM was definitely taking a piss at the really-badly-worded question.

Second, I'm not hate'n on the Grappling Hook. I'm hating on the sell. As I did in the linked post therein, I do so now. Seen shit before, and calling out with my 2¢. All of which might I add is very warranted. Compared to where this Halo appeared about year ago, it's obviously had time to improve, but I do not know how much. It's probably no longer a Cyberpunk 2077 debacle anyway.

That's where the sell comes in. And I'm not seeing it... yet. Yet.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I guess it's a way to introduce verticality with clear limits, unlike jetpacks.

Meh.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 23:45 (918 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Edit: One more thing. It occurs to me that if this was say when Halo 5 came out, may have been different. That on the face of it, the little that is shown would be enough to bring about some sort of excitement. In such a span there have been more and more large free roaming game play worlds. Witcher 3, Red Dead 2, Pray 2, Ubisofts Games... eh so on. What brings it all together? What makes one game feel like a whole package, while other games can feel like a bunch of scattered lonely tricks. Cool on the surface but ultimately hallow to play. I'm not sure I have the words to answer that right now, but "feel" wise, I'm just not seeing it in Halo Infinite yet.

They could nail the feel, and I still think it would come up short.

“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.”― Heraclitus

This is the problem Halo faces today. It's impossible to capture and recreate that feeling and experience of playing the originals when you did. It's a folly to try. Why is Seinfeld unfunny? The same reason Halo has nowhere to go on its current course.

Meh.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, October 28, 2021, 05:11 (918 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why is Seinfeld unfunny?

Now you done did it

LOL.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, October 28, 2021, 05:30 (918 days ago) @ ZackDark

I agree with Cody when it comes to story. It’s going to be a huge lift to get me invested again. That said, if they can invoke the large-level fun of halo 3 or Reach, I’m in regardless. The multiplayer was good, and that’s a good sign.

P.S. nothing is funny any more. Everyone knows it.

Meh.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 28, 2021, 09:07 (918 days ago) @ ZackDark

Why is Seinfeld unfunny?

Now you done did it

Lol. I'm referencing the trope, not making a judgment of the show.

But the things it created were so brilliant and popular, they became woven into the fabric of that show's genre. They ended up being taken for granted, copied and endlessly repeated. Although they often began by saying something new, they in turn became the new status quo.

^_^

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, October 28, 2021, 09:23 (918 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

The Same River.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, October 28, 2021, 08:35 (918 days ago) @ Cody Miller

“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.”― Heraclitus

This is the problem Halo faces today. It's impossible to capture and recreate that feeling and experience of playing the originals when you did. It's a folly to try. Why is Seinfeld unfunny? The same reason Halo has nowhere to go on its current course.

How apt. There is no going back, indeed, and it would be foolish to gauge on recapturing the particularly temporal recipe of nostalgia. Thus, I should make mention that nostalgia is not my gauge. This is how, of what you say, I can disagree to a point. It is not impossible.

OG Halo is simple. Yes, things were added upon as ever is apparently required in a sequel, but a core aspect of Halo in those Bungie days stayed by and large true throughout. It might not be the same river, but the river at least should still be wet to be called a river at all. It really is that simple.

I want to see if 343 knows what that "simplicity" is (yet). If they can, if they have understood-actually understand what makes Halo it's own thing, even in a SEA of shooters made possible BY Halo, then I'm in. Hint: it's not the control scheme. While very important, I'd say what Bungie has done with Destiny control wise is the next push, much like Halo was in its day. But even Destiny doesn't have this "simplicity" that Bungies Halos have, much to my disappointment.

This is also why I'm not saying what that "X Factor" is, despite my want to say otherwise. There is a hint I could give right now that to me is SO felicitous, directly for you Cody, BUT I say too much already. Sorry for the buzzkill.

(0_0)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, October 28, 2021, 08:47 (918 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"Why is Seinfeld unfunny?"

You...

I just...

But you...

u r poop.

Meh.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, October 28, 2021, 09:13 (918 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why is Seinfeld unfunny?

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread