Black Friday gaming deals have started! (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, November 17, 2023, 10:14 (162 days ago)

Some serious discounts on big games, across Playstation, XBox, and Steam!

And I have one big recommendation!

Remnant 2:

$34.99 Playstation
$34.99 Xbox
$34.99 Steam
Ultimate edition available on all pages for $14 more, includes two expansions!

In a year with godly Dead Space and Resident Evil 4 remakes, I still think Remnant 2 might be my Game of the Year. The game is masterfully balanced to be playable Solo, with a full squad that can communicate, or with randoms that simply Ping points of interest.
A shooter that's all about exploration and experimentation rather than sorting through countless piles of useless loot, every encounter is a highlight, and the characters you encounter along the way are all connected to their worlds in interesting ways, often in ways not immediately obvious, but exploration (and sometimes even what you wear) will bring new revelations and really makes the worlds you visit feel alive.
I remember Fooch and I spent half an hour just listening to one NPC describe the history of his people's empress in such an engaging way that his storytelling stuck with me long after we left the region.
And while a new expansion just released this week, I am still running into new encounters and loot in the base game that I hadn't seen before, so be sure to support Indie devs who love to keep surprising!

Black Friday gaming deals have started!

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 17, 2023, 12:29 (162 days ago) @ Korny

I am still running into new encounters and loot in the base game that I hadn't seen before, so be sure to support Indie devs who love to keep surprising!

Dude, I was looking at known dungeons and encounters and mini bosses and stuff the other day. I’ve only seen just over half of the game, it seems, and PlayStation has my play time at 60 hours. I still haven’t fought the Ravager or the second main boss from N’Erud!

Are you going to be around to play this weekend? I’ve been soaking in Baldur’s Gate 3, so I haven’t made time for the Remnant expansion, but I’m eager to get back to it.

Also, I think I remember seeing a post last week about cross play coming soon for Remnant 2.

Ultimate edition bought

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, November 17, 2023, 16:57 (162 days ago) @ Korny

Remnant 2:

$34.99 Playstation
$34.99 Xbox
$34.99 Steam

In a year with godly Dead Space and Resident Evil 4 remakes, I still think Remnant 2 might be my Game of the Year. The game is masterfully balanced to be playable Solo, with a full squad that can communicate, or with randoms that simply Ping points of interest.
A shooter that's all about exploration and experimentation rather than sorting through countless piles of useless loot, every encounter is a highlight, and the characters you encounter along the way are all connected to their worlds in interesting ways, often in ways not immediately obvious, but exploration (and sometimes even what you wear) will bring new revelations and really makes the worlds you visit feel alive.
I remember Fooch and I spent half an hour just listening to one NPC describe the history of his people's empress in such an engaging way that his storytelling stuck with me long after we left the region.
And while a new expansion just released this week, I am still running into new encounters and loot in the base game that I hadn't seen before, so be sure to support Indie devs who love to keep surprising!

Purely based on y'alls reviews

Should I play the first one?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, November 17, 2023, 16:57 (162 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Should I play the first one?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, November 17, 2023, 17:05 (162 days ago) @ kidtsunami

It’s not 100% necessary. While there are returning characters from the first game, and several events are referenced here and there, you should be fine, and you play as a completely new character, so it works in the sense that the new character also has no idea what the deal is with some of these folks.

That said, the first game is still pretty amazing, and holds up completely even after playing through the second one a few times.
You (and your friends) may already own it if you’ve consistently cashed in your PS+ offerings as well. And it was on Gamepass, though I’m not sure if that’s still the case.

The complete edition of the first one is $15 on xbox, done

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, November 17, 2023, 17:21 (162 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 17, 2023, 17:59 (162 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I have the first one on Xbox. If you want a partner I’ll play. As Korny said, it still holds up extremely well. There’s tons of of stuff in the first game I’ve never seen yet.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 17, 2023, 18:59 (162 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I've been wanting to play co-op. Hit me up if you're interested.

Soon

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, November 17, 2023, 19:17 (162 days ago) @ Kermit

I've been wanting to play co-op. Hit me up if you're interested.

Gonna disappear over the Thanksgiving break, but sometime in early December I think I may have plenty of time to play. I'll throw something on the LFG finder.

FYI.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, November 18, 2023, 13:45 (161 days ago) @ kidtsunami

There's a section you have to play solo before you can do co-op.

Yeah I'll make sure to knock that out

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, November 20, 2023, 08:48 (159 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Updated thoughts post-trying the DLC.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, November 19, 2023, 15:31 (160 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Korny, Sunday, November 19, 2023, 15:37

Remnant 2:

$34.99 Playstation
$34.99 Xbox
$34.99 Steam

If there's one thing that I've consistently noticed about Gunfire Games, it's that they're constantly iterating on what worked, are willing to move away from what doesn't, and they try to understand the why and how of player behaviors in a way reminiscent of Digital Extremes, as they are willing to lean into what the playerbase latches onto, while maintaining control of the ship, so it doesn't just descend into a mess.

Case in point, the first big update that lead into this first DLC. Up until the first update, players were leaning into status and tank builds, with many others simply relying on the Engineer's Turrets to do the heavy lifting, without really engaging with the hundred+ rings/amulets in the game. Many other devs would nerf all of these outlying builds, mods, weapons, and tools.
But what Gunfire did was buff a majority of underused gear, rebalance the player crutches with a super satisfying system of give-and-take (Your turret no longer feeds the Challenger's Rage, but you can build it 3x faster than before, making it an almost guaranteed proc if you are as aggressive as the build expects), and they made status builds way more interesting, offering way more tools to use, in order to entice players away from their staples, including rings that reward moving away from tanky builds in interesting and engaging ways.

And I love how consistently we all go from saying "Okay, previous enemies were well-designed and engaging, but this new one is just super unfair and bad." To "Remember when these guys were terrifying? Are we sure we're still on Apocalypse difficulty?"

And it's refreshing how well designed this game is. When you first enter the DLC area, you are greeted with a giant castle looming in the distance above you as a storm churns the waters of the docks you've stepped onto, a non-hostile enemy spouting cryptic woes as he stares into the sea, and a locked door in the rocks below the castle, with a known NPC chained up on the other side visible through a tiny window...
And that's it. The game presents this to the player, trusts that this is enough to engage you, and lets you figure the rest out on your own. No opening narration, no radio drama, no motion comic giving you an exposition dump, and no waypoint. I've longed for games to just be this trusting of the player, and the game delivers.

We spent six hours in just a handful of zones, With many laughs, screams, and triumphs along the way. I can't wait to get back in there.
In the meantime, here's a clip of a moment of downtime, where I saw something innocuously placed in the environment that made me wonder for a brief, terrible moment.

Updated thoughts post-trying the DLC.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, November 20, 2023, 07:27 (159 days ago) @ Korny

I came away really impressed with this DLC, based on what we've seen so far. I mean, we stayed up until 4am playing it, and that certainly doesn't happen often for me anymore.

I am still blown away by the design of this game. I wish I had the skill to really talk about and describe it. The learning and difficulty curve of the game is one of the best I've ever seen, and it feels good on every difficulty.

I played a bit alone yesterday, and I crossed the river on that row of boats where we spent ages on Friday night. As soon as I crossed, I had to fight one of those Bloodborne witches and a helicopter saw guy at the same time, and it was tense, even just on Veteran difficulty.

Remnant 1 and 2 are now on Game Pass.

by EffortlessFury @, Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 17:07 (150 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

No more excuses.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 19:30 (150 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Go download both of these gems right now.

I'm at 100 hours in Remnant 2 and not stopping any time soon. It's the best game I've played in ages, and that's in a year of absolute bangers. I stopped playing Baldur's Gate 3 because the Remnant 2 DLC came out, that's how good it is.

No more excuses.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, November 30, 2023, 06:52 (149 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm at 100 hours in Remnant 2 and not stopping any time soon. It's the best game I've played in ages, and that's in a year of absolute bangers. I stopped playing Baldur's Gate 3 because the Remnant 2 DLC came out, that's how good it is.

Game pass has never been a worthy proposition for me. I simply don't play enough or have enough time to play. I guess I'm on Core game pass now, but only for online multiplayer really.

I bought Remnant, and if Remnant 2 is so great, I'll buy that, too. When is cross-platform happening?

No more excuses.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, November 30, 2023, 07:43 (149 days ago) @ Kermit

Game pass has never been a worthy proposition for me. I simply don't play enough or have enough time to play. I guess I'm on Core game pass now, but only for online multiplayer really.

I bought Remnant, and if Remnant 2 is so great, I'll buy that, too. When is cross-platform happening?

They didn’t actually say, other than “soon.” I assumed by the end of the year but that’s absolutely just an assumption.

No more excuses.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, November 30, 2023, 08:40 (149 days ago) @ cheapLEY

They didn’t actually say, other than “soon.” I assumed by the end of the year but that’s absolutely just an assumption.

Looks like they're finalizing it now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/remnantgame/comments/17r07a4/comment/k8tyvgx/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&cont...

You have to be kidding me

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, November 30, 2023, 09:30 (149 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

- No text -

If you have GP Ultimate, Dead Space Deluxe Edition is $8

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, December 05, 2023, 11:34 (144 days ago) @ Korny

A bunch of you may have received a gifted copy last night. :P

But yeah, one of the best games of this year is available for dirt cheap, so if you have Gamepass, go ahead and not only grab yourself a copy, but gift one or two to a couple of friends who don't have GP!

Dead Space Digital Deluxe Edition for $7.99

The Digital Deluxe edition includes the full base game and a number of cosmetic skins for Isaac.

*Note, do not confuse this for the similarly-priced Deluxe Edition Upgrade. Which is a separate, less fun purchase that only includes the skins... Which are fun!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread