Done done Dune (Off-Topic)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 11, 2024, 10:32 (47 days ago)

I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned Dune. I mean, talk about OG space magic.

I loved it, even with the changes. More importantly, enjoyed it more on the second viewing. Planning a third viewing via LieMAX this weekend.

Done done Dune

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 11, 2024, 10:58 (47 days ago) @ Kermit

I loved it, even with the changes.

Better than the first, but still lacking in vitality and soul. The best part was Rebecca Ferguson as Jessica, and that switch absolutely flipping after she became a reverent mother.

Second best part was Stilgar being Paul's hype man.

6/10

Ah, ever the contrarian.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 11, 2024, 11:06 (47 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

It’s like performance art.

by Coaxkez, Monday, March 11, 2024, 19:32 (46 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 09:14 (46 days ago) @ Coaxkez

No, this one is genuine. It's very good looking and sounding. But I was not moved, nor inspired to do a second viewing.

Yeah I can see that

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 10:31 (46 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No, this one is genuine. It's very good looking and sounding. But I was not moved, nor inspired to do a second viewing.

I was very moved and for many moments was legitimately stunned by what I was watching, but I've gotta respect someone feeling a bit cold to it.

I want to watch it a million times.

Yeah I can see that

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 18:20 (45 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I want to watch it a million times.

A million watches are not enough for Doctor Yueh.

poor bruh was in an impossible position

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, April 02, 2024, 21:54 (24 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 11:40 (46 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Fair enough. I saw it twice mainly for the spectacle, but was surprised that I felt more emotionally engaged the second time.

Absolutely loved it

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, March 11, 2024, 12:28 (47 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Done done Dune

by Avateur @, Monday, March 11, 2024, 13:30 (47 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned Dune. I mean, talk about OG space magic.

I loved it, even with the changes. More importantly, enjoyed it more on the second viewing. Planning a third viewing via LieMAX this weekend.

I loved the first and part 2. Sure, it wasn’t perfect, but it was great. I think these two did everything they needed to help guarantee a third film for the second book.

On a personal note, I absolutely loved the final shot before it cut to credits.

An easy 9/10.

by Coaxkez, Monday, March 11, 2024, 19:34 (46 days ago) @ Kermit

I have some minor quibbles and wasn’t a fan of some of the changes, but all the same, damn that is a movie.

This

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 15:50 (45 days ago) @ Coaxkez

They threw out over 75% of what I liked of the book and I still got a damn good movie out of it.

Done done Dune

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 16:36 (45 days ago) @ Kermit

I loved it, just like I did the first one. I've never read Dune, so maybe that comes into play. I thought it was a great film and I did connect enough to be emotionally affected a few times. Although that's never been hard to pull off for me with most media.

I guess I'm gonna have to read Dune, now.

Done done Dune

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 18:06 (45 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Part 1 and 2 cover the 1st book. Part 3 will no doubt cover the 2nd book. 3rd book is good and could possibly be a good movie. There's been a miniseries that had it. After that...it gets weird. You could make a series out of the last two books, but the 4th book that bridges to those is pretty out there. Also keep in mind he died before his final book that wrapped everything up. It ends abruptly. His son wrote 2 books to wrap it up (and a bunch of prequels), but I'm definitely not a fan of those. They read like bad fanfic.

I love the movies. So far 2 of my favorite of all time. I get the changes from the books he made, and it was clearer to me after part 2 as why. There's a bit of a different tone in the 1st book than these movies, but the 2nd more jives with these movies, so part 3 should be excellent in wrapping up Paul's story.

Done done Dune

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 20:11 (45 days ago) @ bluerunner

Part 1 and 2 cover the 1st book. Part 3 will no doubt cover the 2nd book. 3rd book is good and could possibly be a good movie. There's been a miniseries that had it. After that...it gets weird. You could make a series out of the last two books, but the 4th book that bridges to those is pretty out there. Also keep in mind he died before his final book that wrapped everything up. It ends abruptly. His son wrote 2 books to wrap it up (and a bunch of prequels), but I'm definitely not a fan of those. They read like bad fanfic.

I love the movies. So far 2 of my favorite of all time. I get the changes from the books he made, and it was clearer to me after part 2 as why. There's a bit of a different tone in the 1st book than these movies, but the 2nd more jives with these movies, so part 3 should be excellent in wrapping up Paul's story.

I read that part of the Villeneuve's shift was inspired by Herbert's feeling that people had misread the first book, and that's why he made Paul problematic sooner than later.

Done done Dune

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 20:50 (45 days ago) @ Kermit

I read that part of the Villeneuve's shift was inspired by Herbert's feeling that people had misread the first book, and that's why he made Paul problematic sooner than later.

Exactly. Paul is the protagonist, but he's not a hero. I don't think the 1st book made that as clear as the 2nd. Villeneuve is using Chani to make that more clear sooner. I think it was a good change, so that the theme transfers to part 3 better than the shift that happens between books. It's also where the 1984 Dune movie totally whiffed.

Done done Dune

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, March 14, 2024, 08:51 (44 days ago) @ cheapLEY

This is pretty old (created long before the first of Villeneuve's movies was made), but decent advice.

[image]

Done done Dune

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 14, 2024, 09:42 (44 days ago) @ Claude Errera

tl;dr

Brian Herbert should finish Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring.

Done done Dune

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, March 14, 2024, 09:45 (44 days ago) @ Cody Miller

tl;dr

Brian Herbert should finish Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring.

Good lord, no.

Maybe Brandon Sanderson. But not Herbert.

Done done Dune

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 14, 2024, 10:11 (44 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Heh, he’s talked about that a few times. He’s said he wouldn’t do it, even if asked. Which, I’m thankful for. I’d much rather read the end of Stormlight and the Cosmere at this point than Song of Ice and Fire

Done done Dune

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, March 14, 2024, 11:09 (44 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Kermit, Thursday, March 14, 2024, 11:13

Started laughing before finishing the option 1 description, and didn't stop.

Do you have similar advice for Brandon Sanderson's work?

P.S. Those are the covers I grew up with.

Done done Dune

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 14, 2024, 11:20 (44 days ago) @ Kermit

I think he has a thing on his website for that.

Most recommended starting with Mistborn (The Final Empire), as it’s a fairly breezy read and gives you a good taste of his style. If you like it, finish that trilogy. I started with Stormlight (Way of Kings), but those are much larger, dense epic fantasy books. I think they are his best works so far, but it’s also not complete yet. The 5th Stormlight book releases later this year, and will wrap up the first half of the series, which is supposed to be a satisfying conclusion of the current arc, but there are 5 more books planned.

If you want a really easy read to give him a shot, I love Tress of the Emerald Sea and Yumi and the Nightmare Painter, which are stand alone books from his kickstarter last year. With the caveat that almost all of his books are in the same universe, The Cosmere, so there are connections between all of them. You’ll get a bit more out of the stand alone books if you’re aware of everything, but it’s slight and not worth worrying about for those two in particular.

It all seems more complicated than it is, but unlike with Dune, there aren’t any real skips.

This is also a source of constant debate, so someone else might chime in and say something totally different. As long as you don’t read books within a series out of order, I think you can really just pick one and start.

Thanks!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, March 14, 2024, 13:41 (44 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Done done Dune

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 18, 2024, 18:24 (39 days ago) @ Kermit

Final review: to not see it on IMAX (or close) is not to really see it. I feel sorry for agoraphobics.

Done done Dune

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, March 19, 2024, 05:52 (39 days ago) @ Kermit

My kids convinced me to see it in one of those "4D" theaters where the seat moves and they spray water at you. It was like trying to watch a movie while riding a mechanical bull. I do not recommend.

Done done Dune

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, March 19, 2024, 08:25 (39 days ago) @ bluerunner

My kids convinced me to see it in one of those "4D" theaters where the seat moves and they spray water at you. It was like trying to watch a movie while riding a mechanical bull. I do not recommend.

They... sprayed water at you during Dune? Did the characters onscreen berate you afterwards?

Done done Dune

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, March 19, 2024, 08:44 (39 days ago) @ Claude Errera

They... sprayed water at you during Dune? Did the characters onscreen berate you afterwards?

They had mist sprayers on the back of the seat and big ones under the screen. Every time there was a lot of sand they sprayed mist, I guess to simulate sand? Didn't make sense. Then I'm watching the scene through fog.

The kids saw Top Gun Maverick at this theater. That kinda made sense. There were a few moments in the film where subtle seat movements added a little, like flying sequences. The sand worm riding was a straight up mechanical bull ride. You get no warning, so pray you don't have the straw in your drink near your face, or you're going to lose an eye. I guess if you were using the popcorn bucket for its intended purpose, it would save you from throwing popcorn everywhere.

My biggest complaint was that 99% wasn't subtle moment. It was hard jerks. Like somebody grabbing your chair and jerking it hard. They did it a ton during fight scenes. Totally distracting.

Done done Dune

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, March 19, 2024, 10:45 (39 days ago) @ bluerunner

They had mist sprayers on the back of the seat and big ones under the screen. Every time there was a lot of sand they sprayed mist, I guess to simulate sand? Didn't make sense. Then I'm watching the scene through fog.

The kids saw Top Gun Maverick at this theater. That kinda made sense. There were a few moments in the film where subtle seat movements added a little, like flying sequences. The sand worm riding was a straight up mechanical bull ride. You get no warning, so pray you don't have the straw in your drink near your face, or you're going to lose an eye. I guess if you were using the popcorn bucket for its intended purpose, it would save you from throwing popcorn everywhere.

My biggest complaint was that 99% wasn't subtle moment. It was hard jerks. Like somebody grabbing your chair and jerking it hard. They did it a ton during fight scenes. Totally distracting.

This sounds TERRIBLE. Jiminy.

Done done Dune

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 19, 2024, 20:30 (38 days ago) @ bluerunner

My kids convinced me ...

So sorry. I have zero interest in that.

Done done Dune

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, March 19, 2024, 11:26 (39 days ago) @ Kermit

Final review: to not see it on IMAX (or close) is not to really see it. I feel sorry for agoraphobics.

Truly the definitive experience.

[image]

Done done Dune

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 19, 2024, 20:27 (38 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Someone got the sucker seats. I'd never sit that close. I made a mistake and trusted a friend to get seats this last time. I thought he knew what he was doing. Seven rows back was still too close but tolerable.

Done done Dune

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, March 20, 2024, 02:54 (38 days ago) @ Kermit

The fact that such a seat even exists is annoying as heck

Done done Dune

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 20, 2024, 03:10 (38 days ago) @ ZackDark

In fairness, there are restrictions for how close seats can be in IMAX theaters. I have my doubts that picture was taken from a seat.

Done done Dune

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 20, 2024, 10:26 (38 days ago) @ ZackDark

This is why I saw Dune pt 2 at 7:10 in the morning. Only showing left where the IMAX seats were actually watchable.

This is also a movie you can see just fine in LieMax™. It wasn't shot on film, but an Arri Alexa. I guess you don't always get the full 1.43:1 in the fake IMAX theaters, but it's no Dunkirk so you're not missing too much.

Done done Dune

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, March 20, 2024, 21:04 (37 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I saw it LieMAX and it was still impressive and excellent. The quality of theaters here in Fort Collins might be enough to get me to see more movies there.

Done done Dune

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, March 20, 2024, 13:15 (38 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

Those are the seats I saw Scarface from in 1983. We got to the theater after the start time (before the movie, but after the time on the tickets), and every other seat was full. (Why you'd take a front row seat on the SIDE over the middle, I have no clue, but a bunch of people did, leaving us 2 seats dead center in the first row.)

There was no such thing as assigned seating then.

I had to pay a second time and go back a couple of weeks later because there was no way I was being left with that memory as my experience with Scarface.

Done done Dune

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 20, 2024, 20:16 (37 days ago) @ Claude Errera

[image]

Those are the seats I saw Scarface from in 1983. We got to the theater after the start time (before the movie, but after the time on the tickets), and every other seat was full. (Why you'd take a front row seat on the SIDE over the middle, I have no clue, but a bunch of people did, leaving us 2 seats dead center in the first row.)

There was no such thing as assigned seating then.

I had to pay a second time and go back a couple of weeks later because there was no way I was being left with that memory as my experience with Scarface.

Sitting that close, his little friend probably wasn’t so little.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread