Aiming mechanic

by GrimBrother IV, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 04:42 (4055 days ago)

I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up or if it has been confirmed but will Destiny utilize actual optic use(similar to most modern shooters) or a fixed reticule (similar to Halo?) ADS in a high-sci-fi Bungie game has been a dream of mine for ten years, so im hoping the former.

Aiming mechanic

by kapowaz, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 05:07 (4055 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

I'm not sure if … it has been confirmed

[image]

Speculating, I'd say we'll see an on-screen HUD for aiming weapons, as it would seem that the Warlock player class wields magical fire, and the lack of a scope on your hands probably means there will be some overlay for aiming such offensive magic. Probably. Maybe. TBC.

Aiming mechanic

by Rerdnermers, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 10:48 (4055 days ago) @ kapowaz

Maybe you can aim-down-sights with your hands. The player will make a little circle with his fingers and hold it up to his eye.

Aiming mechanic

by GauntMkII, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 05:20 (4055 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

The few guns we saw in the vidoc's gameplay clips had scopes or little holographic-sight-like things, so they might have ADS. I'd be more inclined to expect a simple zoom rather than down-sight aiming, though.

Aiming mechanic

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 06:23 (4055 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

I'm not sure, I don't think ADS works well with the halo model of shooter, but we'll see what happens.

As the only human who enjoyed bloom in reach, I'm curious to see what happened with it, and how they decided to utilize it ingame.

Bloom Brother!

by GrimBrother IV, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 09:40 (4055 days ago) @ electricpirate

- No text -

Aiming mechanic

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 10:14 (4055 days ago) @ electricpirate

1. What's ADS?

2. I liked the bloom. :)

Aiming mechanic

by Quirel, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 12:08 (4055 days ago) @ Ragashingo

"Aim Down the Sights"

Bloom for the win

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 10:18 (4055 days ago) @ electricpirate

I also enjoyed bloom, I never understood the complaints.

Bloom for the win

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 13:07 (4055 days ago) @ Xenos

I understood them, I just didn't agree with them :).

Seriously though, I hope bungie doesn't bring it back on precision weapons this go around so I don't have to deal with the online bitching.

Bloom for the win

by Leisandir @, Virginia, USA, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 13:17 (4054 days ago) @ electricpirate
edited by Leisandir, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 13:24

Maybe we won't have "precision weapons" as a unique category anymore. Imagine - assault rifles that can hit the broad side of a barn from more than a few feet away! Battle rifles that offer interesting interplay of rate of fire and damage compared to their automatic brothers! Submachine guns that don't turn into BB guns at ranges greater than an arm's length!

More bloom love here

by Pfhrogblast, Finland, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 10:58 (4055 days ago) @ electricpirate

- No text -

More bloom love here

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 13:45 (4054 days ago) @ Pfhrogblast

More support for bloom here. ADS has its uses, but I think designating a controller button for your aiming mechanic is a bit much. If it makes one feel better, I'm sure they can make weapons without a bona fide scope perform an ADS animation.

~M

Aiming mechanic

by SIX min WHISTLE @, Michigan, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 14:29 (4055 days ago) @ electricpirate

The little bit of first-person view and that HUD screencap didn't seem to imply "iron sights". I think they'll stick with the classic style, like Halo and Marathon both used.

Need moar projectile weapons.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 14:30 (4055 days ago) @ electricpirate

Bloom is entirely understandable as a mechanism for mitigating weapon effectiveness over range.
This is a big part of why I prefer Reach's core gunplay to Halo 4's. I would usually be in favour of the style Halo 4 aims for over the style Reach aims for. However, Reach's use of heavy bloom makes sense for the slow movement and hitscan in these games. Whereas Halo 4's minimal bloom combines with the slow movement, hitscan, and high aim assist to really mess up map movement and line-of-sight design.

That said, bloom has some issues. It leaves the player feeling like they're inexplicably waiting for the game to catch up to them, and it adds en element of randomness.

Sooooo, projectile weapons. It's really unfortunate that Halo 3's choice to combine high bullet spread with projectiles while having poor visual/audio response soured people to the idea. Keep things firing reasonably straight and in a sensible manner, and use big impact effects (Halo 1-style) to show people what the bullets are actually doing (yay gameplay system transparency), and projectiles can feel terrific. They mitigate weapon effectiveness over range in a way which does not incur lethargic gameplay, does not add randomness, and very naturally adds complexity and engagement to the gunplay by seamlessly fitting in shot-leading and prediction.

ADS

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 14:13 (4054 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

I was actually about it, and even if they don't do actual ADS, they might make it look like ADS when using a scoped weapon considering the reason it looks like it does in Halo is because you have basically a supercomputer in your suit that can deal with it for you. Now they might stick with the Halo style, but who knows for sure.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread