Friendly Fire in Destiny, or "sry i nova bombed ur face lol" (Destiny)

by ncsuDuncan @, Sunday, January 26, 2014, 23:23 (3749 days ago)

This is a topic I plan to discuss during Tuesday's dboTV, but I'd like to start the conversation now; maybe I'll pull some quotes from this thread. :)

-------
From Murphy's Laws of Combat Ops:

Friendly fire -- isn't.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Every Halo veteran knows the truth of those words. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer - but not if Claude has the rocket launcher. Yet despite being a seasoned victim of ill-timed sniper shots, poorly placed grenades, and overeager (under-steering) Warthog chauffeurs, I prefer Halo with friendly fire on. Consistent weapon/damage feedback is important to me in the physics-driven sandbox of Halo, and disabling friendly fire creates an "unrealistic" experience where the rules don't apply to everyone equally. It feels like a glitch in the simulation, just like that Keanu Reeves movie where he flagrantly breaks the laws of physics. (Point Break)

Of course, Destiny is not Halo! There are plenty of completely legitimate reasons for Not-Halo™ games to leave friendly fire disabled by default; Call of Duty's short kill times and Battlefield's enormous player count immediately come to mind. The shared world of Destiny would become a frustrating, paranoid place if random griefers were allowed to intrude on your adventure and fire at will. Games like DayZ have a unique take on the concept of player/character investment, but they're certainly not for everyone. Thankfully, in a recent BWU DeeJ confirmed that combat between Guardians will only be enabled during specific, player-chosen activites:

reydar117 We can kill others guys in the open world area?

If by “other guys” you mean “vile invaders who have taken up residence in the worlds that are rightfully ours,” the answer is “Yes!” If your question is aimed at battling other Guardians, you’ll need to enter a completely separate activity to test your competitive mettle. You’ll make a lot of choices in Destiny, including when you want your allies to turn their guns on you. We can’t have Guardians attacking each other in the wild. The wild is a dangerous enough place already, without you turning your guns on one another.

Makes sense. But what about friendly fire in Destiny's competitive multiplayer? Team sizes and kill times are obviously important issues, but how could space magic affect the situation? Or proximity grenades? We won't get betrayed for the Coagulation sniper if we're all bringing our own guns to the party, but there's still competition for special ammo, right?

What games have friendly fire mechanics that make sense? What games don't?

-------
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, DBO. Just promise to keep the discussion civil - we're all on the same team here.

Friendly Fire in Destiny, or "sry i nova bombed ur face lol"

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, January 27, 2014, 00:18 (3749 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

The shared world of Destiny would become a frustrating, paranoid place if random griefers were allowed to intrude on your adventure and fire at will.

Now, imagine a world where Destiny was developed by From Software.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, January 27, 2014, 00:31 (3749 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I personally agree with you. In a co-operative world where team work matters, and randoms have a huge influence on your gameplay I find friendly fire to be a nuisance and a way for someone to ruin the story mission I'm on. In competitive play however I think not having it on takes away a lot of the skill involved in great multiplayer matches. No one worries about throwing a grenade if it'll only hurt enemies, and nothing is quite as funny in a friendly game as pulling the trigger on your shotgun, just to see your ally run around the corner and take a face full of lead shot. Oops. Hopefully those experiences don't go away altogether.

By the way, I'd love to see topics like this discussed on dboTV with your guests. As long as you guys don't get heated and start throwing insults.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, January 27, 2014, 11:09 (3749 days ago) @ Xenos

Agreed, I think anywhere you go in destiny where you might get paired with random people ff is best left off. Competitive multiplayer sounds like a good place to keep it on.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 27, 2014, 13:01 (3749 days ago) @ Xenos

I personally agree with you. In a co-operative world where team work matters, and randoms have a huge influence on your gameplay I find friendly fire to be a nuisance and a way for someone to ruin the story mission I'm on.

Wouldn't you then run into a situation where players cooperate to grenade / rocket jump for 'free'? Seems like a great way to get to places you shouldn't.

On second thought, that might be awesome :-)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, January 27, 2014, 14:02 (3749 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I personally agree with you. In a co-operative world where team work matters, and randoms have a huge influence on your gameplay I find friendly fire to be a nuisance and a way for someone to ruin the story mission I'm on.

Wouldn't you then run into a situation where players cooperate to grenade / rocket jump for 'free'? Seems like a great way to get to places you shouldn't.

On second thought, that might be awesome :-)

Sadly if it's like most games even the physics from the explosion won't affect you.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, January 27, 2014, 01:14 (3749 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Yet despite being a seasoned victim of ill-timed sniper shots, poorly placed grenades, and overeager (under-steering) Warthog chauffeurs, I prefer Halo with friendly fire on. Consistent weapon/damage feedback is important to me in the physics-driven sandbox of Halo, and disabling friendly fire creates an "unrealistic" experience where the rules don't apply to everyone equally. It feels like a glitch in the simulation, just like that Keanu Reeves movie where he flagrantly breaks the laws of physics. (Point Break)

You said it better than I would have, but I'll try to add my thoughts to the mix, redundant as they will be.

I've also feel that disabling friendly fire in multiplayer environments makes the experience feel disjointed. If supply a certain input (rocket!), then I expect a certain output (carnage!), but disabling FF breaks those rules and the immersion that comes with them. Case in point, when Halo 4 launched with friendly fire disabled, it completely changed the Halo experience for me and made multiplayer much less enjoyable despite the fact that I didn't have to worry about being team-killed.

In multiplayer (especially), territory control is often the deciding factor in a skirmish. I believe there should be strategies and consequences around the idea of controlling a territory and coordinating with your teammates while avoiding friendly fire. You shouldn't be able to stick the guy with a shotgun on the staircase killzone while the rest of the team spams grenades from 50 feet away. Disabling friendly fire undermines some specific pillars of balance and generally leaves the competitive experience lacking for me.

Now, that's all true for competitive multiplayer, but I think cooperative mode is a slightly different beast. I still think that errant grenades should cause friendly splash damage (for the same reasons given above about territory control and coordinated teamwork), but I also believe that it's 100% Grade-AA-Okay to prevent some jerk hunter from being able to snipe you through the brainpan just as you're about to land the finishing shot on a boss during a Public Event just because he/she* wanted to wreck your gameplay experience. I don't understand them, but we all know those people are out there.

<sidestory>Back in the Vanilla WoW days I started my original character on a PvP realm, and there was absolutely nothing worse than being ganked and having to corpse-run my ass through Stranglethorn Vale because a bunch of level-capped griefers decided they were bored and wanted to screw with other players. It got to be so bad that sometimes I would have to leave my character dead on the ground and either switch to a different character for a while, or just forego that game session altogether and do homework (boo!). And this was in the days when there could be an hour+ wait to even get onto the server in the first place, so logging-off hurt extra bad. (It's worth noting that I consider this behavior to be different from legitimate PvP combat between similarly-leveled players, which could actually be—and was—a ton of fun.)</sidestory>

It's late and I'm rambling, but my point is that I completely see where Bungie is coming from by disallowing Guardian-on-Guardian combat in the cooperative world of Destiny. My ideal balance would be enabling accidental friendly fire on splash damage and stray shots, but disabling it on deliberate jackassery. In the "real world", though, that sounds like an incredibly complex system that's rife with opportunity for exploitation once people find the edge-cases, so I think a blanket no-friendly-fire policy in the cooperative modes is probably the best we can hope for. Who knows, maybe friendly fire will exist in areas where you're just with your Fireteam (such as inside the Wall in Old Russia), but then it gets disabled during Public Events or when other Fireteams are nearby? Something like that might work, but I also trust Bungie to do the Right Thing. They haven't let me down yet.

*Seriously, though, I have yet to meet a female griefer, but I'm sure there are one or two out there. Maybe it's a guy thing… I wouldn't put it past us.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, January 27, 2014, 10:05 (3749 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I don't have a hard position in this discussion - just wanted to put together a few random points. These are tied together with nothing more than a relationship to the topic 'friendly fire'.

I argued against turning friendly fire off in many, many discussions, because I feel (as Beorn described) that map control is a big part of strategy, and if you can simply hide behind a crate and fire rockets at your flag while a teammate stays close in to mop up any survivors, it takes away a lot of the challenge of defense. I still feel this way - and I'm glad that 343 has drawn a distinction between Slayer and Objective games, and allowed friendly fire on objectives at least.

I found the words "I LOVE the fact that friendly fire is off" coming out of my mouth a couple of nights ago, when 4 enemies surrounded one friend, and I was able to kill all four (and leave the friend unhurt) with a pair of rockets. I guess in the heat of battle, I'm okay with the immersion-breaking. (At least when it's in MY favor. ;) )

I find that with friendly fire off, I become MORE angry at teammates that find devious ways to teamkill me (on purpose) than I did in, say, Reach. In a game with FF on, a teammate that runs me over is an annoyance. With FF off, the same teammate triggers rage, not annoyance. I'm not sure why.

by ridum, Monday, January 27, 2014, 12:09 (3749 days ago) @ Claude Errera

All hits ON.

Friendly fire off is just 'fake'.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, January 27, 2014, 15:44 (3749 days ago) @ ridum

All hits ON.

Friendly fire off is just 'fake'.

This. Adding on to what Beorn and Claude have said, I think there's ample argument for it to be left on in all cases. The only times where I think it would need to be off are in coop situations where you run across randos in the wild.

What if I'm out in the distant reaches of wherever, and a rando happens to see me park my Pike and take up a position ready to engage some baddies. If he wanted to steal or destroy my Pike, well, that sucks. But I could always call in my custom ride, right? So the griefer wouldn't be affecting my overall mobility. But should he be able to damage me? If it's not someone on my fire team, I'd say no. Better to offer the small and redundant incentive towards teamwork and get John Rando to target the same creeps that I am. After the fight we could party up or whatever, and then once the level of voice communication is established and he's in that little circle of trust, sure. Friendly-fire it up. Because then your newfound friend, even if he's got a stripe of jerkface in him, has the option to revive you if he TK's you.

There could be some kind of punishment tied to reputation that would act as a disincentive to greifers that abuse that level of leniency.

Furthermore, if randos encounter each other and find a way to "abuse" the FF=off aspect of this concept in order to leverage explosions for altitude, I say reward the frogblasting.

~m

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, January 27, 2014, 22:17 (3748 days ago) @ Malagate

I'm not sure grenade jumping will be as much of a thing as it was in Halo, what with talk of the different character's vertical movement capabilities. I think they even referred to it as "vertical movement mode" in the most recent podcast. But then again, as we've seen over the past decade, where there's a will there's a way.

All for friendly fire...

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, January 27, 2014, 13:28 (3749 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

... if just for the hi-jinks it create. It's probably at the heart of most of my unique memories when playing with friends. I'm ready to deal with random online dooshbags if it allows for crazy sandbox moments. That's how I always knew Halo was a special game. Even when you died, it could be hilarious fun.

For example, I remember shooting a rocket at a Scorpion from the other side of Blood Gulch. It moves away, my rocket's still moseying along, my teammates come running out of the base with the flag, they hop into a Warthog and start heading back, and I'm riveted to the pixel ground, going "No, there's no way that's going to happen... No... Noo... Nooo! Shit!"

... You know, I can't actually recall if I ever told them I was responsible for that explosion. What will be really funny is when somebody posts a strong anti-friendly-fire with the exact same example.

In fireteam, yes. Outside of fireteam, no. Everybody wins!

by petetheduck, Monday, January 27, 2014, 14:32 (3749 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

And free for all in multiplayer? Sounds good to me!*NM*

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, January 27, 2014, 16:20 (3749 days ago) @ petetheduck

[image]

Sounds good.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, January 27, 2014, 22:13 (3748 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

All for friendly fire...

by ridum, Monday, January 27, 2014, 17:18 (3749 days ago) @ Leviathan

yes, this is true…

how many times have a ACCIDENTALLY, albeit recklessly naded or even sniped a teamate in the ass today…hilarious…

'sorry' leave friendly fire ON.

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Monday, January 27, 2014, 13:29 (3749 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I realise your question Duncan is aimed at the competitive multiplayer portion, but I think there's a tantalising wild west wasteland to coming across another fireteam in trouble and entertaining the consideration of robbing them blind, RUST style.

It's not at all what Bungie are going for, but it does kind of rustle my gimmies.
Maybe a 7/7 server level setting ;-).

I'm generally in the "friendly fire on" camp on the competitive side, it forces players to be tighter with what they shoot and when they shoot.
There's an extra sense of blasé about the whole arena if a teammate can run up with a rocket launcher and blow away the guy next to you because friendly fire is off.
It lowers the skill barrier.

However ["this boy be back and forth like a yo-yo"], if friendly fire is off in one arena and on in another, it leads to an inconsistent learning and play experience, where bad or rather lazy habits are picked up in "Campaign" are brought into competitive arena where things are potentially different.

friendly fire 'off' = absurd

by ridum, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 09:12 (3748 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

The whole idea is ridonkulous.

Bungie will make sure that there are no 'gangs' robbing people we can be sure of that…

friendly fire 'off' = absurd

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 09:33 (3748 days ago) @ ridum

The whole idea is ridonkulous.

Bungie will make sure that there are no 'gangs' robbing people we can be sure of that…

I think you are going to be disappointed if you think it's ridiculous then. They have already said people can't attack you at random. I agree with zeouterlimits, I love friendly fire when I pick who plays with me in a game like Halo. I even understand what they are going for in games like Rust and Day Z. In a game like Destiny though, you aren't a random person with questionable alliances running into an unknown entity, you're supposed to be allies on the same team working to save humanity. If a random character could come up to you and shoot you in the face in the middle of your mission and then teabag your body it's little consolation to you if he gets a bad mark on his record, and will make you NOT want to team up with random allies as much. In my opinion different games require different methods of managing randoms, and from what I understand about Destiny I don't think letting anyone shoot anyone at any time will build the environment or community Bungie is aiming for.

You know....

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 10:29 (3748 days ago) @ Xenos

I was in the Friendly Fire on camp, until you mentioned the random pairing of players. I think for multiplayer and raids (or at least harder, planned raids) ff can go on fine.

But, I really don't want the unwashed rando's shitting on my experience like they have before and most certainly will again. Maybe if you invite them into your fireteam FF can be on, but unchecked I don't think they will be so noble.

the fun of FF can't combat the terribleness of some randoms

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 13:26 (3748 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

- No text -

by Tawpgun, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 21:31 (3747 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Friendly fire on for sure.

by Avateur @, Friday, January 31, 2014, 16:37 (3745 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I'm all for friendly fire being on, and rarely enjoy playing with it off. I'm referring to multiplayer, since Bungie will clearly not be allowing it on in campaign/co-op/whatever. It really makes you time your shots and make things work, especially if you have some buddies around. It also leads to some absolutely hilarious moments when you utterly destroy your friends, or get destroyed by your friends. For example:

This video

You really gotta be careful when pulling that trigger. In Halo 4 I can just jam the trigger with a SAW or blast all the things with a rocket no matter what teammates are around because it won't matter in most of the gametypes. It really mixes things up when you have to make sure you land your shots, or potentially keep from firing that rocket or boosting that Ghost in a crucial and close game where you might end up losing due to a betrayal or two.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, January 31, 2014, 17:06 (3745 days ago) @ Avateur

You really gotta be careful when pulling that trigger. In Halo 4 I can just jam the trigger with a SAW or blast all the things with a rocket no matter what teammates are around because it won't matter in most of the gametypes.

Well, in one gametype, anyway (Infinity Slayer). Many gametypes now have friendly fire on (Big Team Slayer, Objectives, etc).

by Avateur @, Friday, January 31, 2014, 18:39 (3744 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I did not know that, or didn't notice when I played the other day (can't say I betrayed anyone). Now that's pretty nifty.

Also, I tried finding a video of you firing a rocket at an enemy and blasting me instead on Reach when I was in a Warthog, but I can't find it. I think I even survived it somehow until a second rocket was fired and hit me. Coulda sworn you or I rendered it, and was trying to include it in my initial post, but I failed. I swear it happened, though. lol

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, February 01, 2014, 09:39 (3744 days ago) @ Avateur

Also, I tried finding a video of you firing a rocket at an enemy and blasting me instead on Reach when I was in a Warthog, but I can't find it. I think I even survived it somehow until a second rocket was fired and hit me. Coulda sworn you or I rendered it, and was trying to include it in my initial post, but I failed. I swear it happened, though. lol

Heh - I don't doubt for a minute that it happened... but unfortunately, I don't remember it, so I can't help you find a film. (I'm not sure if that's just because the steel trap has rusted all to hell or if it's because there have been so many betrayals that they all blend together... :) )

Halotracker says 820 Reach betrayals in 58,000 kills, but 140 Halo 4 betrayals in 30,000 kills, so I'm getting better. :)

I think I remember it

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, February 01, 2014, 10:21 (3744 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Will try to find it, for SCIENCE!

Was it the one the Warthog even bumps someone jetpacking even further off a cliff?

I think I remember it

by Avateur @, Saturday, February 01, 2014, 16:39 (3744 days ago) @ ZackDark

Nah. This was on Highlands near the cave that leads into the teleport exit room. Pretty sure he rocketed me up the side of that cave.

I haz a sad

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, February 01, 2014, 11:19 (3744 days ago) @ Avateur

Please tell me you have a clip of that epic moment on Vahalla.

"LIKE THIS!!"

"You betrayed SonofMacPhisto."

I haz a sad

by Avateur @, Saturday, February 01, 2014, 16:56 (3744 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I just looked everywhere for it and can't find it. Bungie.net doesn't seem to have anywhere near the amount of screenshots you and I took, and a lot of HBO posts with write-ups (though I don't think they contained them) no longer have working screenshots because some were taken from haloscreenshots.net, which is now gone, and some video links directly to B.net seem to have been changed up after the new Bungie.net came out post-Halo. I'm sure one if not both of us still has the video saved on the 360 HDD, though, which unfortunately doesn't help. :(

I haz a sad

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, February 01, 2014, 18:47 (3743 days ago) @ Avateur

It shall live on in our hearts!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread