Bungie Weekly Update 4/18/14 (Destiny)

by GrimBrotherIII, Friday, April 18, 2014, 15:55 (3653 days ago)

New Bungie Weekly update DBO folks: http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=11485

Beat me to it by less than a minute :)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, April 18, 2014, 15:56 (3653 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

- No text -

Beat me to it by less than a minute :)

by GrimBrotherIII, Friday, April 18, 2014, 16:06 (3653 days ago) @ Xenos

I happened to be on FB when they posted it up... chalk it up to Beginner's Luck. :)

I'm so proud!

by GrimBrother IV, Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 04:10 (3650 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Beat me to it as well!

by Zero @, Florida, Friday, April 18, 2014, 16:03 (3653 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

Thankfully I had the mind to check before I posted it, but unfortunately a miss click erased all that anyway. Although, it is nice to see they are still on track for release less than 6 months out.

Well said, Urk...

by GrimBrotherIII, Friday, April 18, 2014, 16:04 (3653 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII
edited by GrimBrotherIII, Friday, April 18, 2014, 16:31

"No Mail Sack this week. We know what you want to ask us. We wish we could help you make sense of what’s going on. Sometimes saying nothing is the only right thing to do. Sometimes saying nothing is the hardest thing to do.

We’re sorry for that. We know that you care a lot about our shared history. We do too. It stings to read some of the more charged, emotional responses, but we understand, and we are committed to focusing on our shared future. We believe it will be bright."

'twas urk, not DeeJ, this time around.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, April 18, 2014, 16:17 (3653 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

- No text -

'twas urk, not DeeJ, this time around.

by GrimBrotherIII, Friday, April 18, 2014, 16:22 (3653 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Oversight on my part - apologies.

Agreed.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, April 18, 2014, 16:49 (3653 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

I'm glad that part was said. Ignoring the issue entirely would make me
As. Addressing it in this way seemed right.

Indeed

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, April 18, 2014, 18:06 (3653 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

Not knowing makes this situation hard. Knowing the truth might make it unbearable. :(
Still love Marty. Still love Bungie. Still can't wait for Destiny.

Double indeed

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, April 18, 2014, 21:09 (3653 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

Well said, Urk...

by Dax01, Saturday, April 19, 2014, 07:53 (3653 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

Well said, Urk, indeed. I really want to see new Destiny info. Plus the beta...

Bungie Weekly Update 4/18/14

by GrimBrotherIII, Friday, April 18, 2014, 16:30 (3653 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

"For you, that means the floodgates are about to burst wide open. Earlier this week, we cracked the lid on our pre-alpha build for a few dozen journalists. We nervously hovered, hoping what they saw and played lived up to their expectations for us. We huddled in the aftermath, wondering what they’ll tell you about what we’ve been up to – about the promises we’ve made.

You’ll be hearing from them soon. They’ll be loaded with shiny new assets. It will mark the beginning of your true introduction into the world of Destiny. We hope, more than anything, that you love what you see."

hmmm... what kind of info do you guys think will be pouring out of the "floodgates" in the coming weeks? Perhaps a Beta release date? New gameplay? E3 details?

by GrimBrother One, Friday, April 18, 2014, 16:33 (3653 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

Hopefully ALL of those things, frankly lol. So excited to go exploring...

One

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, April 19, 2014, 20:21 (3652 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

"For you, that means the floodgates are about to burst wide open. Earlier this week, we cracked the lid on our pre-alpha build for a few dozen journalists. We nervously hovered, hoping what they saw and played lived up to their expectations for us. We huddled in the aftermath, wondering what they’ll tell you about what we’ve been up to – about the promises we’ve made.

You’ll be hearing from them soon. They’ll be loaded with shiny new assets. It will mark the beginning of your true introduction into the world of Destiny. We hope, more than anything, that you love what you see."

hmmm... what kind of info do you guys think will be pouring out of the "floodgates" in the coming weeks? Perhaps a Beta release date? New gameplay? E3 details?

All that matters is our collective response.

Here is my guess - regardless of content:

[image]

We haven't seen anything but the bread crumbs. Soon... like wolves, we shall feast.

YES...

by GrimBrotherIII, Sunday, April 20, 2014, 19:27 (3651 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

... That face is so closely accurate to my expression whenever i've experienced new Destiny content...

<3 Bungie <3 Marty <3 Urk <3 Deej <3 DBO

by petetheduck, Friday, April 18, 2014, 16:59 (3653 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

- No text -

Well said Pete! lol

by GrimBrotherIII, Friday, April 18, 2014, 17:39 (3653 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Friday, April 18, 2014, 20:44 (3653 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

Have we seen that screenshot before?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, April 18, 2014, 21:02 (3653 days ago) @ rliebherr

Have we seen that screenshot before?

Not that I'm aware of.

by yakaman, Saturday, April 19, 2014, 16:04 (3652 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

Such a mixed bag. I'm not really certain what I should be feeling. Excited? Melancholy? Eager? Angry?

I really hope this next few weeks are positive. I really hope what we begin to see is what we hoped for (whatever that is!). I really hope the beta starts sooner (late May) than later (July).

Mostly, I'm just ready to see if I Destiny is a game that I will love to play. I hope it is. I guess I'm not ready for my love affair with Bungie to be over.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, April 19, 2014, 20:24 (3652 days ago) @ yakaman

Such a mixed bag. I'm not really certain what I should be feeling. Excited? Melancholy? Eager? Angry?

I really hope this next few weeks are positive. I really hope what we begin to see is what we hoped for (whatever that is!). I really hope the beta starts sooner (late May) than later (July).

Mostly, I'm just ready to see if I Destiny is a game that I will love to play. I hope it is. I guess I'm not ready for my love affair with Bungie to be over.

Technically the summer starts on June 21, though I wouldn't mind an advanced week or so. You know... for science.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Saturday, April 19, 2014, 20:41 (3652 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

It always bothered me that seasons start on solstices or equinoxes, when you'd think that would be the middle of them. Oh well; its been spring where I live for a while now and it snowed a few days ago...

^THIS. SO MUCH.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, April 19, 2014, 21:07 (3652 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

- No text -

It's always bugged me too.

by Quirel, Sunday, April 20, 2014, 17:11 (3651 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

- No text -

by yakaman, Monday, April 21, 2014, 10:53 (3651 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Technically the summer starts on June 21, though I wouldn't mind an advanced week or so. You know... for science.

Dammit. Hold on a second...

<...re-calibrates expectations...>

Alright, how about late June then? Although, how long will the beta be, I wonder? I was thinking months long, but I guess that doesn't make much sense.

Maybe 3-4 weeks, like all of July? Then, tweaks through August before release September 9.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 21, 2014, 11:59 (3650 days ago) @ yakaman

Alright, how about late June then? Although, how long will the beta be, I wonder? I was thinking months long, but I guess that doesn't make much sense.

Maybe 3-4 weeks, like all of July? Then, tweaks through August before release September 9.

Yeah if Reach is any indication 2-3 weeks seems likely. Though with a game this large they may have a full month, at least we can hope!

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, April 21, 2014, 12:42 (3650 days ago) @ yakaman

The actual legal start of summer really doesn't matter so much, honestly. If you asked someone (in the Northern hemisphere, anyways) what season it was on June 15, they would tell you it was summer, most likely.

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Monday, April 21, 2014, 14:49 (3650 days ago) @ yakaman

Dammit. Hold on a second...

<...re-calibrates expectations...>

The TSD Chronolology Crew has already done the heavy lifting and made the definitive guesstimate on this issue here.

I'd like to revise the prediction, though, and place more emphasis on the BF4-style "beta" I mention in the last paragraph. That is, a beta that is a small portion of a 99% finished game and amounts to what is basically a network test a couple of weeks prior to full release.

Bungie were already way behind schedule when they pushed the release date back to 9/9, and I don't think things have much improved. Especially with Marty's departure and their rumored lack of preparation to fill the hole, they need all the time they can get -- I don't think it's feasible for them to produce a solid-enough public beta months ahead of release. Keep in mind that even though betas are advertised as unfinished products, there's still a lot of work involved in wrapping things up and QAing stuff to present a product that doesn't embarrass you. That's work they would rather spend on development.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 21, 2014, 14:58 (3650 days ago) @ Schooly D

Bungie were already way behind schedule when they pushed the release date back to 9/9, and I don't think things have much improved. Especially with Marty's departure and their rumored lack of preparation to fill the hole, they need all the time they can get -- I don't think it's feasible for them to produce a solid-enough public beta months ahead of release.

I don't agree with this mostly because I don't think they would've emphasized them being ON TRACK in their last weekly update when it would've been far easier (and normal for the way they provide information) to just not mention if they are on track or not. I could of course be putting to much faith in their words, but I doubt that if they tell us they are on track (and that it's displayed thus in their studio) that walking into their studio we'd find a different status shown.

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Monday, April 21, 2014, 15:18 (3650 days ago) @ Xenos

I don't agree with this mostly because I don't think they would've emphasized them being ON TRACK in their last weekly update when it would've been far easier (and normal for the way they provide information) to just not mention if they are on track or not. I could of course be putting to much faith in their words, but I doubt that if they tell us they are on track (and that it's displayed thus in their studio) that walking into their studio we'd find a different status shown.

They say they're "ON TRACK" but they don't say what they're "ON TRACK" for, nor how nearly they're clearing the bar. It's entirely possible they're barely on track for a BF4-style beta/network test. They're still in pre-alpha. Then they have to get to alpha. Then they have to get to beta. Then they have to go gold. That's a tough road to hoe, especially when the beta is public and requires extra effort just to make it presentable. It's more plausible if you assume the "beta" is basically gold save for some minor tweaks.

Polygon will post their new content next Monday

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 21, 2014, 12:11 (3650 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

Polygon posted a small article about the weekly update, and in the last paragraph they mention information will be released next Monday. I assume that's probably when Bungie allows the press to start talking about it, so I'm definitely looking forward to the drip turning into a trickle!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread