Old School Vid tip (Marathon) (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, April 18, 2014, 18:18 (3658 days ago)

So blackstar and Narcogen are playing through the Marathon Trilogy in their video podcasts at rampancy.net. You should check it out, especially if you are at all interested in the game that started it all, before the game that started it all, before the game that started it all.

However, they don't show off all the sweet secrets you can only get with grenade climbing. That's because:

1. They played Marathon 1 in Aleph One instead of the actual game
2. Neither of them are good enough

Here's a quick look at this essential skill for any vidmaster to get good at. Snag these awesome games for free at http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org

Old School Vid tip (Marathon)

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Saturday, April 19, 2014, 00:29 (3658 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You should check it out, especially if you are at all interested in the game that started it all, before the game that started it all, before the game that started it all.

They're playing Pathways into Darkness!?

by ShaunKL ⌂, Mars, digging for treasure..., Monday, April 21, 2014, 08:28 (3656 days ago) @ uberfoop

That would actually be the game that started it all before the game that started it all before the game that started it all before that game that started it all.

by Durandal, Monday, April 21, 2014, 16:26 (3656 days ago) @ ShaunKL

Strauss thought he was so clever, putting things where no human could reach. But you could, and did, if you didn't mind a bit of shrapnel in your shields. Of course the P'For put a crimp in the Martian's plans long before they could reach fruition, allowing me to use them, and you, for my own ends. What is a little shrapnel between friends anyway? It beats breathing vacuum.

Have you ever noticed that Bungie has yet to reveal how many moons Mars has, 700 years in the future?

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, April 21, 2014, 16:35 (3656 days ago) @ Durandal

P'For

No.

by roland ⌂ @, Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 19:15 (3654 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Here's a quick look at this essential skill for any vidmaster to get good at. Snag these awesome games for free at http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org

And if you do download Marathon 1, you can install updated versions of all the original songs on the soundtrack from here http://www.themarathonmusic.com :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 10:35 (3654 days ago) @ roland

And if you do download Marathon 1, you can install updated versions of all the original songs on the soundtrack from here http://www.themarathonmusic.com :)

In my opinion, no music makes the game better. It's more atmospheric and creepy that way. Bungie definitely made the right decision to ditch music in favor of ambient sounds in M2 and Infinity.

Try it out and see.

by roland ⌂ @, Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 17:54 (3654 days ago) @ Cody Miller

In my opinion, no music makes the game better. It's more atmospheric and creepy that way. Bungie definitely made the right decision to ditch music in favor of ambient sounds in M2 and Infinity.

Try it out and see.

I, respectfully, completely disagree with everything you just said.

And since we're giving our opinions, yeah, I've played more than my fair share of M2 and Infinity. Music doesn't need to (and didn't at all in M2 and Infinity) fill every moment, but when it's there it can certainly add to the "atmosphere and creepy". I mean, c'mon, the popularity of the music in Halo is a testament to this, the fact that soundtracks even exist and sold really well for those games indicates that a lot of people enjoy it when it's done well.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 19:17 (3653 days ago) @ roland

Try it out and see.

I, respectfully, completely disagree with everything you just said.

And since we're giving our opinions, yeah, I've played more than my fair share of M2 and Infinity. Music doesn't need to (and didn't at all in M2 and Infinity) fill every moment, but when it's there it can certainly add to the "atmosphere and creepy". I mean, c'mon, the popularity of the music in Halo is a testament to this, the fact that soundtracks even exist and sold really well for those games indicates that a lot of people enjoy it when it's done well.

We are all entitled to our opinions :-)

Here's mine:

1. The marathon music kind of sucks anyway.
2. It's MIDI, and due to instrument changes between QT versions, it sounds like shit unless you play it on OS 7, which is kind of hard in this day and age.
3. No music is creepier.
4. Marathon's music just plays and loops repeatedly, so it DOES fill every moment.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 19:25 (3653 days ago) @ Cody Miller

2. It's MIDI, and due to instrument changes between QT versions, it sounds like shit unless you play it on OS 7, which is kind of hard in this day and age.

The only reason you'd be using MIDI is if you're playing the game vanilla, which is kind of hard in this day and age in the first place :P

Hasn't there been some effort to bring the M1A1 MP3s close to the original sound?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 19:47 (3653 days ago) @ uberfoop

The only reason you'd be using MIDI is if you're playing the game vanilla, which is kind of hard in this day and age in the first place :P

Until recently, what I showed in the video in the first post was only possible with the real game :-p

Hasn't there been some effort to bring the M1A1 MP3s close to the original sound?

Yes there is. Pretty sure now Aleph One, using the original datafiles, is pretty authentic.

by roland ⌂ @, Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 20:16 (3653 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Until recently, what I showed in the video in the first post was only possible with the real game :-p

Yes there is. Pretty sure now Aleph One, using the original datafiles, is pretty authentic.

You can get the pre- and post-QT 2.0 Marathon 1 music here http://themarathonmusic.com/downloads.html

by roland ⌂ @, Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 20:18 (3653 days ago) @ Cody Miller

1. The marathon music kind of sucks anyway.

That's why I remade the whole soundtrack. I guess you might think my versions suck too.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 08:13 (3654 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So blackstar and Narcogen are playing through the Marathon Trilogy in their video podcasts at rampancy.net. You should check it out, especially if you are at all interested in the game that started it all, before the game that started it all, before the game that started it all.

However, they don't show off all the sweet secrets you can only get with grenade climbing. That's because:

1. They played Marathon 1 in Aleph One instead of the actual game

In fairness, cooperative play wouldn't have been feasible in the actual game, would it?

Out of curiosity, what are you running this on?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 10:36 (3654 days ago) @ Kermit

Out of curiosity, what are you running this on?

G4/500, OS 9.2.x

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread