Fan-made Thunderlord (Fan Creations)

by Dan de Board @, Friday, April 25, 2014, 18:05 (3661 days ago)

Hey guys! It's been a while. A number of months ago I started working on a gun of my own design. I did finish it, but I wasn't quite happy with the quality of it because I just didn't have the time to put into it.

Fast forward a few months and I need to come up with something to do for my portfolio. I knew I wanted to model something but I didn't know what. I could remake the model I did, or I could try making something that already existed.

In this case, the Thunderlord.

[image]
[image]
[image]

I hope you guys like it. Based on the feedback I get on Monday I'll fix up what needs to be fixed. I wouldn't mind tackling more weapons, and now that I have a workflow I think I can crank one out a lot faster.

Critique and comments are always appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Awesome!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, April 25, 2014, 19:01 (3661 days ago) @ Dan de Board

Looks great man! I don't know enough about 3D modeling to give any really good critique. I say just make more!

Fan-made Thunderlord

by Quirel, Friday, April 25, 2014, 20:42 (3661 days ago) @ Dan de Board

That is a very, very sexy machine gun.

The only thing off, I think, is how the belt just merges with the drum. If you could fix that and make it look more realistic, it'd be perfect.

Looks very convincing to me

by scarab @, Friday, April 25, 2014, 22:56 (3661 days ago) @ Dan de Board

nice brassy looking metal bits, fine scratches and generally very convincing damage/age/dirt texturing.

I'm not a gun-spert but it looks very realistic to me. Great job.

How long did it take?

Looks very convincing to me

by Dan de Board @, Saturday, April 26, 2014, 10:49 (3660 days ago) @ scarab

It took about 5 weeks, give or take a few days.

No wire frame, no deal.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, April 26, 2014, 11:11 (3660 days ago) @ Dan de Board

If you want an honest critique, it often won't be from a render.

Can't see your wire frame?; Can't help you make it more efficient. (CG or Game wise)
Can't see your Uv's?; Can't help you pack it and make it more efficient.
Can't see your maps? (like you can see here if you scroll down - DO NOT post full vers);
I can't help you bring out the details.

Also - From what did you render this from? That matters too.

/Bam

(Just in case - No, the link is not I. Friend of a friend. Modders got connections man. ;))

No wire frame, no deal.

by Dan de Board @, Saturday, April 26, 2014, 12:10 (3660 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Well, since you asked so nicely. The final model was rendered in Unreal Engine 4. I don't have the final maps on my hard drive at home at the moment, but these are pretty close to done. Final model was I believe about 27k tris.

Hi-res
[image]

Game res
[image]

Wires
[image]

Front and magazine
[image]

Back and accessory rails
[image]

I really need to get better at packing, and I know that will be a major focus for me on my next one.

No wire frame, no deal.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, April 26, 2014, 14:00 (3660 days ago) @ Dan de Board
edited by INSANEdrive, Saturday, April 26, 2014, 14:15

Well, since you asked so nicely. The final model was rendered in Unreal Engine 4. I don't have the final maps on my hard drive at home at the moment, but these are pretty close to done. Final model was I believe about 27k tris.

Hi-res
Game res
Wires
Front and magazine
Back and accessory rails

I really need to get better at packing, and I know that will be a major focus for me on my next one.

I apologize then if my bluntness came across too critically. Most of the time when a person only posts a render it’s for simple glory and to hide what they don’t know… which it seems very well you do. I don’t know what you know so I’m going to speak as I do – not to be mean – but to just “Now you know”. After all - you did ask for it.

• As you noted the packing could use work – I think I see a UV island over another in the normal slice. The UVs could be made more efficient be reusing the repeating meshes for the sake of the texel density of your texture, which should help with packing. One over the same shape.
  • The diff over all is nice – if abit too clean. Picky Picky – but dirty things look more real. I see you did start the direction, and since this is a recreation of what Bungie made that’s what you are going for – but - you are the artist (without the deadline) so have fun making a mess of it too. Nothing is totally clean.
  • Clouds for spec? Don’t under estimate the power of shiny things for the render (or the lack of such). Tell a story with your spec – spec is telling me what kind of material is. How old is it? How has it warn through time? Play with it. Can’t understate how important this is - regardless what kind of map is used to create the effect (you did say UR4 after all).
  • The only major thing I see would be that this took you 5 weeks to make, though I will understand if that’s because of other dutys. Classic critical comment - do it faster, but since everything effects everything I figured I would mention it.

Oh and one more thing – I have no idea what I’m doing and I reserve the right to be wrong. ;)

Nice work Dan de Board! :D

Edit: One more thing for the sake of being critical and hatefull and blah blah blah - two 1024s on one mesh - that is alot of detail for something currently so not very detailed. Don't get me wrong - your normals are alright - but you could very well do the same deal on one 1024. If this is for the sake of being pretty then go and put it as big as you like. Just make sure you are using what you give your self - other wise you are just making it a larger file for no reason.

No wire frame, no deal.

by Dan de Board @, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 09:11 (3659 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Thanks for your honesty. I appreciate it. Those are all issues that have been mentioned either by my instructor or in the critiques from Polycount. I apologize if I seemed a bit peeved by the bluntness, I was trying to sound more sarcastic. Clearly need more smilies ;)

No wire frame, no deal.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Saturday, April 26, 2014, 15:33 (3660 days ago) @ Dan de Board

Well if anything seeing yours is making me feel like tackling a model I've been procrastinating about unwrapping. I'm not fond of unwrapping, and the more complicated the object, the less I want to do it. And what I made sure isn't simple.

No wire frame, no deal.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, April 26, 2014, 13:33 (3660 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Hey, I know Alex! He's working in 343i now. Cool kid.

Yep ^_^

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, April 26, 2014, 13:48 (3660 days ago) @ ZackDark

Everyone knows everyone, they just don't know it.

Yep ^_^

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, April 26, 2014, 13:51 (3660 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Everyone knows everyone, they just don't know it.

I don't know Kevin Bacon.

Or do you?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, April 26, 2014, 13:57 (3660 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

I think he has a bacon number of 4 via Jen Taylor

by scarab @, Saturday, April 26, 2014, 16:05 (3660 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by scarab, Saturday, April 26, 2014, 16:09

Cluade Errera
was interviewed by (disk 2: halo 3 Legendary edition)
Jen Taylor (I)
was in
Inheritance (2004/I)
with
Jo Anna March
was in
Burglar (1987)
with
Anne De Salvo
was in
Starting Over (1979)
with
Kevin Bacon

YES! *INSANEdrive high fives o/\o scarab*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, April 26, 2014, 16:13 (3660 days ago) @ scarab

Not exactly what I meant - but that will have to do. :D

*tips imaginary hat*

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 08:49 (3659 days ago) @ scarab

- No text -

Beautiful work, man!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, April 26, 2014, 20:29 (3660 days ago) @ Dan de Board

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread