Tower Class Banner Wallpapers *IMGs* (Fan Creations)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 10:21 (3617 days ago)

[image]One of the screenshots in the latest media dump caught my eye: the one inside the Tower with large banners hanging from the ceiling representing each class (click right for bigger). I thought those banners (and associated iconography) would make some nice wallpaper, so I sat down and tried to recreate them for the desktop.

[image]
Enjoy! In addition to the main version above, there are solo variants for each class. And as always, I look forward to feedback and critique. :)

. . Tower Class Banners
[image]

. . Hunter Banner (Solo)
[image]

. . Titan Banner (Solo)
[image]

. . Warlock Banner (Solo)
[image]

A note about the Titan banner: the Roman numerals appear to be wonky on the original, but I may be interpreting the screenshot incorrectly. As best I can tell, the text on the banner reads XXIIX ~ VII-LXI, which would appear at first glance to read 28 ~ 7-61, except that the numeral for 28 is actually XXVIII (XXIIX is nonsense). In the name of being faithful to the original, I'm leaving it as-is for the moment. If this gets changed later on (beta?), I'll update the wallpapers to match.

Edit: Added larger mobile versions for Samsung phones.

These are great! Thanks!

by GrimBrotherIII, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 10:32 (3617 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

NICE! Great Idea.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 10:46 (3617 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Awesome!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 12:53 (3617 days ago) @ Beorn

Also thanks for making Retina MBP versions of each!

These are awesome! Thanks!

by TDSpiral ⌂ @, TDS Gaming Shack, WA, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 15:48 (3617 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

I love these!

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 15:55 (3617 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Added to the desktopal rotation device.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 18:07 (3617 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Every Tardis has one.

by scarab @, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 00:33 (3617 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

These are AWESOME!

by Spawn ⌂, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 20:06 (3617 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

The numerals are correct.

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 06:47 (3616 days ago) @ Beorn

The wallpapers are fantastic. Lovely job. There'll be no need to alter the Titan one I'd imagine.

http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/numbers/roman/

"The Romans themselves were not so fussy. There is a Roman tombstone in York, England, of Lucius Duccius Rufinius, who was the standard bearer of the VIIII legion (9th), and was XXIIX years old (or 28)."
–From the linked article.

The numerals are (in)correct.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 13:34 (3616 days ago) @ DaDerga

The wallpapers are fantastic. Lovely job. There'll be no need to alter the Titan one I'd imagine.
http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/numbers/roman/
"The Romans themselves were not so fussy. There is a Roman tombstone in York, England, of Lucius Duccius Rufinius, who was the standard bearer of the VIIII legion (9th), and was XXIIX years old (or 28)."
–From the linked article.

Heh, I'll say that a tombstone is an unfortunate place to make such an error. But just because someone did it wrong on a relatively permanent surface doesn't mean that the error is in fact "correct". A typo is still a typo. I don't know what the Roman education system looked like, but I imagine there were many in the Roman armies who did not know how to read or write.

Who knows, maybe the letters on the Titan banner aren't even Roman numerals! Maybe they're someone's initials… With lots of X's and I's… :-\

Edit: Okay, I checked the Wikipedia page on Roman Numerals, and they have a whole section on Alternative Forms that says the numeral system was rather fluid back in the day, so your example is not wrong. I would expect, though, that a Roman Numeral system in Destiny would reflect the more recent and codified version that we use today, but maybe the non-standard form was very intentional on Bungie's part. Maybe it's intended to help show how much of human history was lost with the fall of the Golden Age.

The numerals are incorrect.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, May 04, 2014, 13:59 (3616 days ago) @ Beorn

The numerals are incorrect.

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 14:06 (3616 days ago) @ Beorn

Who knows, maybe the letters on the Titan banner aren't even Roman numerals! Maybe they're someone's initials… With lots of X's and I's… :-\

You are, of course, absolutely correct.

"The "standard" forms described above reflect typical modern usage rather than a universally accepted convention. Usage in ancient Rome varied greatly and remained inconsistent in medieval and modern times."

Roman inscriptions, especially in official contexts, seem to show a preference for additive forms such as IIII and VIIII instead of (or even as well as) subtractive forms such as IV and IX. Both methods appear in documents from the Roman era, even within the same document. "Double subtractives" also occur, such as XIIX or even IIXX instead of XVIII. Sometimes V and L are not used, with instances such as IIIIII and XXXXXX rather than VI or LX." – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_numerals (wiki link for convenience only).

I was always under the impression that the version that we use today was just that and that there was no strict convention throughout the Roman period proper, or later.

You are correct.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 14:22 (3616 days ago) @ DaDerga

I was always under the impression that the version that we use today was just that and that there was no strict convention throughout the Roman period proper, or later.

You're absolutely right. I was presuming the use of our modern system and did not consider that something else might be pertinent in the world of Destiny. That's what I get for making assumptions, so thanks for helping expand my horizons!

Bloody Romans

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 14:32 (3616 days ago) @ Beorn

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

I like this human. He understands our ways.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, May 04, 2014, 15:41 (3616 days ago) @ DaDerga

- No text -

I like this human. He understands our ways.

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 18:36 (3616 days ago) @ ZackDark

Beginner's luck?

I don't know ...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 18:42 (3616 days ago) @ DaDerga

I still think we should heat up the honey just in case.

I don't know ...

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 18:45 (3616 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

A honey trap, I like it!

New lock screen!

by GrimBrother IV, Monday, May 05, 2014, 14:13 (3615 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

My new Laptop Desktop bg, and phone wallpaper bg! Thanks!

by GrimBrotherIII, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 04:09 (3614 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread