New Weekly Update (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Friday, May 09, 2014, 13:24 (3652 days ago)

Wow, they are early this week.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 09, 2014, 13:28 (3652 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

Best tidbit

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 09, 2014, 13:36 (3652 days ago) @ petetheduck

Gnoizic So, should we expect big things for Bungie Day this year?

Sure. Bungie Day is about the entire Bungie Community at large, so we’ll do something special that everyone can enjoy. At the same time.

I sometimes forget DeeJ actually reads our forum

Best tidbit

by petetheduck, Friday, May 09, 2014, 13:37 (3652 days ago) @ Xenos

Sure. Bungie Day is about the entire Bungie Community at large, so we’ll do something special that everyone can enjoy. At the same time.

I sometimes forget DeeJ actually reads our forum

Heh, yeah, I even dropped that quote in the relevant thread. It felt like a direct reply; I laughed.

Hell yeah

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, May 09, 2014, 14:46 (3652 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

How I feel when I read the BWU:

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Friday, May 09, 2014, 13:37 (3652 days ago) @ petetheduck

[image]

HA! Well said kanbo.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, May 09, 2014, 13:51 (3652 days ago) @ kanbo

- No text -

I... don't... follow...?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, May 09, 2014, 15:32 (3652 days ago) @ kanbo

- No text -

Your hint is "Placer mining".

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, May 09, 2014, 15:58 (3652 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

There was a mill owned by a guy named Sutter...

by Quirel, Friday, May 09, 2014, 20:38 (3652 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

This Update Rocks!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, May 09, 2014, 14:07 (3652 days ago) @ petetheduck

People don't think about rocks. I think about rocks. I am not people. I am person. Ever make a rock in ZBrush - its like Zen, but with more rocks.

Sure. Bungie Day is about the entire Bungie Community at large, so we’ll do something >special that everyone can enjoy. At the same time.

While I may be reading too much into it (knowing that this has already been posted above), but if this is saying what I think this is saying - I'm so glad that you all agree. Even if you planned it this way before hand.

Halo Monster95 Just to reassure many of us, you love all your fans the same, >no matter what system they play on, right?

That’s right. You have some tough choices to make about the vessel you’ll select to >transport you to the world of Destiny. ...

From a Destiny stand point; What makes those choices tough?

Storm Wolf Can you tell us more about the factions?

You know what? We can. We should. It’s time to reveal a thing or two about the >mysterious socio-political forces that shape the culture and history of the City. Now >all we need is for one of you to ask a specific question about them.

How am I supposed to ask a question If I don't have much of anything to base a question off of? Or shall we play a game of who, what, where, why and how just to see what sticks? So wasteful of a Friday.

Oh and just one more thing...

[image]

That header background image in the New Hotness that is your twitter feed - can I has wallpaper sized?

1500 x 500

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Friday, May 09, 2014, 14:22 (3652 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

1500 x 500

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, May 09, 2014, 14:25 (3652 days ago) @ DaDerga

That is indeed the image I was alluding too, yet I am hoping for something abit - crisper and from the source of said image. Thank you though.

1500 x 500 LoRes

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Friday, May 09, 2014, 14:34 (3652 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Aha, hence the "might". ;)

New Weekly Update

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, May 09, 2014, 14:56 (3652 days ago) @ petetheduck

[image]

I want to frame this post

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Friday, May 09, 2014, 14:59 (3652 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Yes we did.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, May 09, 2014, 16:00 (3652 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Probably the best BWU in the past few months

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, May 09, 2014, 15:33 (3652 days ago) @ petetheduck

I mean, we got some Loftus-like level of love shared, I got a shout-out, we finally learned something about factions. So good. Here's to more of this!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, May 09, 2014, 16:07 (3652 days ago) @ ZackDark

I mean, we got some Loftus-like level of love shared, I got a shout-out, we finally learned something about factions. So good. Here's to more of this!

I agree. What did we learn about factions? There was nothing in this weeks update other then unconfirmed speculation, and the asking of us to ask those questions.

See:

Storm Wolf Can you tell us more about the factions?

You know what? We can. We should. It’s time to reveal a thing or two about the mysterious socio-political forces that shape the culture and history of the City. Now all we need is for one of you to ask a specific question about them.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, May 09, 2014, 16:15 (3652 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Well, personally, I learned that factions will hand out items as rewards (possibly to faction quests or to-do lists) and that they indeed are represented in PvP.

Also learned that choosing a faction will not restrict who you can play with (at least in PvE).

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 09, 2014, 16:16 (3652 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

We didn't get a lot of information about Factions, but we got a small amount of information. Like the fact that they are not just multiplayer divisions like many people have speculated, and that you don't have to pick one (and only one) like several other people have speculated. Like I said not a lot, but a couple morsels.

New Weekly Update

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Friday, May 09, 2014, 15:59 (3652 days ago) @ petetheduck

E3 is gonna be so good this year. The wait will be difficult.

Excellent update, DeeJ!

- CC

Countdown for E3

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, May 09, 2014, 16:08 (3652 days ago) @ CaneCutter

Too Noisy for combat

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, May 09, 2014, 18:06 (3652 days ago) @ petetheduck

I'm a bit taken aback as to their rejection of this. The idea being that you can't pick out enemies, and so it's not suitable for combat. But that should be what the terrain should be all about. Some places should be good for cover or camouflage. I don't always want all my enemies completely visible.

One of the best parts of Vanquish had you fighting in tall grass, obscuring enemies. You had to have a sharp eye and look for the grass moving, or else pick out the tops of enemies or their projectiles to find them.

There's obviously a balance, but why reject that on face?!

Too Noisy for combat

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Friday, May 09, 2014, 18:55 (3652 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Some places should be good for cover or camouflage. I don't always want all my enemies completely visible.

I think your conclusion answers the concern. I imagine they've gone that route for gameplay over faithfulness. The image was for illustrative purposes and the beta will reveal the actuality. Nothin' is concrete yet.

Too Noisy for combat

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, May 09, 2014, 19:14 (3652 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah, I was wondering about that as well.

Using that rationale for PvP? Very excusable. PvE, though? Not so much.

Too Noisy for combat

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, May 09, 2014, 19:34 (3652 days ago) @ ZackDark

Yeah, I was wondering about that as well.

Using that rationale for PvP? Very excusable. PvE, though? Not so much.

I think maybe Bungie games aren't trying to be other games? Halo was always bright and colorful when it's competitors generally weren't. I think there's a place for both types of games but that Bungie... and I... prefer clearer (simpler?) visuals and gameplay.

That said, I'm with Cody. I don't think there anything wrong with that beautiful rock.

Too Noisy for combat

by electricpirate @, Friday, May 09, 2014, 21:13 (3652 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm a bit taken aback as to their rejection of this. The idea being that you can't pick out enemies, and so it's not suitable for combat. But that should be what the terrain should be all about. Some places should be good for cover or camouflage. I don't always want all my enemies completely visible.

One of the best parts of Vanquish had you fighting in tall grass, obscuring enemies. You had to have a sharp eye and look for the grass moving, or else pick out the tops of enemies or their projectiles to find them.

I think it's one of these, "If you are going to be a bear, Be a grizzly" moments. In other words, you don't really want a balance, you want to push it hard in one direction, or the other, but don't leave it in some kind of muddy half zone like most shooters.

if Bungie is going to put in something with the goal of challenging target acquisition they should build assets specifically for that. We can't tell either way from that quote if they are or aren't, as he's talking about one single pallette.

Bungie has played with those dynamics before. While Most of malo focussed on enemies that cut through visual noise, certain flood sections, and active camo very purposefully threw a wrench into that clear visual communication. Considering that Destiny's visual feedback is already far less elegant than Halo's, it's probably a good plan to find places where it can be pulled back.

Too Noisy for combat

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, May 09, 2014, 21:36 (3652 days ago) @ electricpirate

Agreed. I didn't see anything wrong with the picture in question, but as you alluded to, I think this is more of a Gear of War brown on brown vs Halo easily distinguished colors of the rainbow thing.

True

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, May 09, 2014, 22:07 (3652 days ago) @ electricpirate

When the game pushes the "you can see all of us!" attitude of the enemies so hard on you, the effect of active camo dudes going all "OHAI!" in your face certainly is amplified.

And active camo dudes have already been confirmed.

Too Noisy for combat

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, May 09, 2014, 23:36 (3651 days ago) @ electricpirate

I think it's one of these, "If you are going to be a bear, Be a grizzly" moments.

I totally agree with this folksy statement.

New Weekly Update

by ridum, Saturday, May 10, 2014, 03:59 (3651 days ago) @ petetheduck

nice nuglets…

I need the STEAK.

Ready for STEAK in July, enough…

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread