Bungie Weekly Update 6/27/2014 (Destiny)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, June 27, 2014, 16:12 (3599 days ago)

Bungie has posted the latest Bungie Weekly Update. Go read it!

Bungie Weekly Update 6/27/2014

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, June 27, 2014, 16:18 (3599 days ago) @ Xenos

In the list of achievements/trophies:

Raider: Complete a Raid

Could still be only one, but interesting it did not say THE Raid.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, June 27, 2014, 16:26 (3599 days ago) @ Xenos

Those seem like pretty reasonable and enjoyable commendations. I'm loving the art for them too. Kinda makes me think they're in-universe and I'd love to see them in patch-form one day for cosplay.

Also, just bought the Ghost shirt. :)

Sucks that the achievements are pretty tame :/

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, June 27, 2014, 16:28 (3599 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by Korny, Friday, June 27, 2014, 16:38

Where's my Vidmasters at?

The only decent one is "Flawless Striker", but that one can be snagged just by playing on Easy.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 27, 2014, 16:57 (3599 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, June 27, 2014, 17:00

Where's my Vidmasters at?

The only decent one is "Flawless Striker", but that one can be snagged just by playing on Easy.

By tame do you mean lame? Many are grindy, and the rest just seem like normal things you'd do.

I feel like cool achievements / trophies should be the domain of the player investment hires.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, June 27, 2014, 20:14 (3599 days ago) @ Cody Miller

By tame do you mean lame?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant...

I feel like cool achievements / trophies should be the domain of the player investment hires.

Definitely. You'd think that by this point, Bungie would "get it", after receiving criticism for their MP crap, and praise for the madness of the vidmasters...

Funny thing, while we're on the subject. 343 actually made some great achievements for Anniversary, then ruined them by making them attainable through the use of skulls like Bandanna and such, which killed any challenge.

... I need to talk to Paddy.

*Dark forces begin to brew*

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, June 27, 2014, 22:31 (3598 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Maybe they designed them that way?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Saturday, June 28, 2014, 03:16 (3598 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Pyromancy, Saturday, June 28, 2014, 03:44

By tame do you mean lame?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant...

Definitely. You'd think that by this point, Bungie would "get it", after receiving criticism for their MP crap, and praise for the madness of the vidmasters...

Maybe they designed them to be tame and attainable throughout normal playthrough?

If they exist, I wonder what we will see as far as daily/weekly/monthly challenges. Possibly those will prove to address our need for a true challenge? Seems like maybe they will be able to provide us more Vidmaster-esque options?
If the Glass Vault is as difficult as they purport it to be, it should hopefully provide a sense of accomplishment after a run.

I wonder if there will be a system in place for the community to create and issue custom challenges? If not, maybe we will have to improvise.

Challenges are called 'bounties' in Destiny

by RC ⌂, UK, Saturday, June 28, 2014, 07:34 (3598 days ago) @ Pyromancy

If they exist, I wonder what we will see as far as daily/weekly/monthly challenges.

They do. They're called Bounties. There is a special Bounty Bot in The Tower that will offer you 3 Crucible (PvP) and 3 Vanguard (PvE) each day. You can take up to 5 at once and take as long as you like to complete and turn them back in.

They were pretty boring 'doing X many of Y' in the Alpha. But where a good way to pick up extra XP for stuff you were doing anyway.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, June 28, 2014, 07:39 (3598 days ago) @ RC

There also were some pretty challenging ones that I think could just be the tip of the iceberg, for example: get a Legend medal in the crucible (which I'm pretty sure is a 25 kills without dying medal), or complete a strike without dying.

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Saturday, June 28, 2014, 11:10 (3598 days ago) @ Xenos

They do. They're called Bounties. There is a special Bounty Bot in The Tower that will offer you 3 Crucible (PvP) and 3 Vanguard (PvE) each day. You can take up to 5 at once and take as long as you like to complete and turn them back in.

They were pretty boring 'doing X many of Y' in the Alpha. But where a good way to pick up extra XP for stuff you were doing anyway.

Yeah, I remember these from the Alpha...They were pretty boring and I didn't really even consider them a typical 'challenge' per se. Guess I'm still holding out for some other mechanism.

There also were some pretty challenging ones that I think could just be the tip of the iceberg, for example: get a Legend medal in the crucible (which I'm pretty sure is a 25 kills without dying medal), or complete a strike without dying.

I hope for more variety. 25 kills without dying in the crucible is ridiculousness. I wanted to complete the strike without dying (seems fairly attainable) but I didn't have a good fireteam and the Alpha ended too quickly.

Maybe they designed them that way?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, June 28, 2014, 17:44 (3598 days ago) @ Pyromancy

If they exist, I wonder what we will see as far as daily/weekly/monthly challenges. Possibly those will prove to address our need for a true challenge? Seems like maybe they will be able to provide us more Vidmaster-esque options?
If the Glass Vault is as difficult as they purport it to be, it should hopefully provide a sense of accomplishment after a run.

I wonder if there will be a system in place for the community to create and issue custom challenges? If not, maybe we will have to improvise.

The XBone achievements system includes "challenges" that run for a limited time. Typically, completing them gets you something in-game to note the accomplishment. For Forza 5, for example, badges/titles that are unique to that challenge. It seems feasible and even likely that we'll see those for Destiny, and I would bet the in-game reward would be along the same lines since they've already mentioned badges. Maybe PS4 is doing something similar with their Trophies system? And even if they aren't, it could just be done in-game like the later Halo games did.

I doubt those were all

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, June 27, 2014, 17:32 (3599 days ago) @ Korny

I mean, a game without campaign-related achievements? Madness!

I mean, there are two in there which are very likely attainable in story missions, but that's it? I doubt it.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 27, 2014, 16:31 (3599 days ago) @ Xenos

Auspicious date. Heh, like a week from Monday.

Eager to see the collector's editions.

I did not read the cheevos because I don't want to know.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, June 27, 2014, 16:37 (3599 days ago) @ Kermit

I did not read the cheevos because I don't want to know.

None (except maybe one) are spoilery, or relate to story in any capacity.
They're mostly grinding achievements with a handful of easy MP achievements.

And only one decent one, but even that one can be exploited.

Agreed. They're pretty safe to read.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, June 27, 2014, 16:40 (3599 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

An auspicious date - 07/07/14

by HavokBlue, California, Friday, June 27, 2014, 17:56 (3599 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Excited for the info drop

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, June 30, 2014, 08:29 (3596 days ago) @ Xenos

Xenos In the list of achievements/trophies:

Raider: Complete a Raid

Could still be only one, but interesting it did not say THE Raid.

Wait... we are still talking about this? Isn't this kind of thing... ya know... trivial?

----------------

ZackDark I mean, a game without campaign-related achievements? Madness!

I mean, there are two in there which are very likely attainable in story missions, but that's it? I doubt it.

That would presume a degree of strict linear game-play, for which Destiny is surely lacking. In a way the story is supposed to be each persons own, which very well could be reflected by "The Life Exotic" or "Epic Raider" Achievements. That is the point after all, each person is to make their own story and become legend.

Be Brave.
----------------

As for myself - while I eagerly await the 7, I shall speak of my tempered joy.

The achievements presented are abit... lacking. Are these Alpha too? I mean Multiplayer achievements? Really?! At least they appear to be generally simple affairs that shall be gained by just playing, for which I originally did not intend to do. Further more, even though this is much less unexpected, it seems if I want to be a total completionist for Destiny I'm going to have to roll with Titan and...ech... Hunter colors, for which I am not a fan of at their current known default abilities, cool as they are, against my preferred play style. If only I could use a keyboard and mouse along with my controller on an Xbox.

Bane of the machines sounds fun though. Heck! I think I'll do it twice... just to be through. The Vex will look up and shout "I̴͚͇t̠͙͔̯̂͆̊̄̂͜ͅͅͅ ̦̥̞̟͓͆͑͌ͅi͔̋̄͆sͪ̔ ̤̼̮́t̡̝̘ͯͣ͗̂̎i̱̬̠̮ͣ͋ͭ̃͐̒m͚̤̫̓̆̇ͭ̈̏ẹ̍̈́ͩ̊!̈͊ ", and I'll whisper "Carpet". What a baddass. :P

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread