No Cross-Gen Multiplayer? (Destiny)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, July 21, 2014, 09:08 (3566 days ago)
edited by Blackt1g3r, Monday, July 21, 2014, 09:15

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/07/bungie-cross-generation-destiny-wouldnt-be-fair-to-low-res-players/

So I can't play with my XBox One friends! That's crap.

Looks like I missed this earlier, but I'm unhappy... maybe I can convince my small group of friends to stay on xbox 360 for now. I'm seriously considering canceling my two preorders since my wife and I won't be able to play with some of the friends we were supposed to play with. Along with the lack of splitscreen, my excitement for Destiny is extremely curbed.

Yeah sorry

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, July 21, 2014, 09:11 (3566 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I think they have been telegraphing this decision for awhile now.

No Cross-Gen Multiplayer?

by Velociraptor112, Places., Monday, July 21, 2014, 10:17 (3566 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I wish there were. It would be awesome. Most of my freinds are playing on the One, so I won't be able to play with them. Am the sad.

Do what I did...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, July 21, 2014, 11:05 (3566 days ago) @ Velociraptor112

I wish there were. It would be awesome. Most of my freinds are playing on the One, so I won't be able to play with them. Am the sad.

Get better friends. People who bought the Xbox One are not people that you need in your life. Nature has taught us that if you cling to the back of the herd, you will not survive.

There is a better way. There are better friends. Greatness awaits.

Hue.

*I'd like to apologize to anyone who finds this disrespectful. I would never wish to offend anyone in this community.

Oh

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, July 21, 2014, 11:12 (3566 days ago) @ Korny

Now I see why people have been calling you a troll. You know the disclaimer only makes it worse, right? Ah who am I kidding, you probably intended it that way.

Oh

by petetheduck, Monday, July 21, 2014, 11:18 (3566 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Get better friends. People who bought the Xbox One are not people that you need in your life. Nature has taught us that if you cling to the back of the herd, you will not survive.

Hue.

*I'd like to apologize to anyone who finds this disrespectful. I would never wish to offend anyone in this community.

Now I see why people have been calling you a troll. You know the disclaimer only makes it worse, right? Ah who am I kidding, you probably intended it that way.

Korny doesn't even get a slap on the wrist for this this behavior. Apparently constant, deliberate disrepect towards this community and its members is totally okay.

Heck, he even got frontpaged for one of those.

Pete, you're feeding him

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, July 21, 2014, 11:41 (3566 days ago) @ petetheduck

Korny is a human in name only. He is mostly troll now. The best thing you an do is ignore him. I mean I can't tell if he's trying to sell us on the PS4 or justify his own purchase to himself anymore. You're giving him his smug power. Stop it.

And that's all I could say was "Oh"...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, July 21, 2014, 12:01 (3566 days ago) @ petetheduck

It's definitely fun to poke at the people I play with, and while most know that it's all in good fun, I admittedly don't play with you, and either way, my endless search for the last line to cross may be a far shorter journey than some people can bear.

I know that gloating about the vast superiority of the PS4 can get tiresome, even for those who agree, and far be it for me to be a fanboy, so for the sanity of the folk around here, I suppose I can tone it down a notch or ten (YES Ten! Because we're REEEAAAAALLLY HUNGRY!)...

There is no need to be upset.

Stepping In

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, July 21, 2014, 12:15 (3566 days ago) @ Korny

It's definitely fun to poke at the people I play with, and while most know that it's all in good fun, I admittedly don't play with you, and either way, my endless search for the last line to cross may be a far shorter journey than some people can bear.

I know that gloating about the vast superiority of the PS4 can get tiresome, even for those who agree, and far be it for me to be a fanboy, so for the sanity of the folk around here, I suppose I can tone it down a notch or ten (YES Ten! Because we're REEEAAAAALLLY HUNGRY!)...

There is no need to be upset.

Korny, your posts as of late have been undeniably vitriolic toward Xbox owners for no apparent reason other than to rile up your fellow B.org community members, and the smartass "disclaimer" at the bottom of this post only serves to prove that you are willfully aware of this behavior. I appreciate the apology above, but posts like those called out in this thread are not humorous, there is nothing constructive about them, and they only serve to drive people away from the DBO community. That is something I cannot abide.

Next time you feel the urge to "twist the knife," let's take a moment to breathe and ask if it helps the community, or if perhaps "less is more."

And everyone else, we can take the high road and let things roll off our backs rather than spend the energy to call out trolling.

We're all Destiny fans here, let's celebrate that. An entire half of our family is about to play Destiny for the first time and that's an awesome thing. I say we stand together, lest the Darkness consume us. :)

Stepping In

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, July 21, 2014, 12:32 (3566 days ago) @ Beorn

Many thanks for that, Beorn.

Here's a (loving) impression of Korny as of late:

*Twist* the knife? Oh, I'm supposed to twist it.

[image]

My bad.

~m

Stepping In

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Monday, July 21, 2014, 12:34 (3566 days ago) @ Beorn

We're all Destiny fans here

Whoa now, let's not get carried away.

Stepping In

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Monday, July 21, 2014, 14:39 (3566 days ago) @ Schooly D

Exactly. I'm currently working on my longest post ever, explaining why Destiny sucks.

It would be more accurate to say we're all Bungie game fans.

Stepping In

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, July 21, 2014, 17:55 (3566 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Exactly. I'm currently working on my longest post ever, explaining why Destiny sucks.

It would be more accurate to say we're all Bungie game fans.

The PVP is not my bag at all.

The campaign has stuff I like, but I've very aware of how grind-y it is and I don't like that.

I'm holding off until I see what more have to say, as I think I'm playing it a tad differently than most.

It definitely has charm and the Enemies I've played so far are interesting, but only when I bumped the difficulty as high as it would let me.

I wouldn't say it sucks though.

Stepping In

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Monday, July 21, 2014, 18:41 (3566 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I wouldn't say it sucks though.

Well, I definitely would, and I will.

I've still got a lot of writing to do, but it's shaping up very nicely. Coming soon™.

Anybody know if there's a character limit for posts here?

Stepping In

by Avateur @, Monday, July 21, 2014, 18:42 (3566 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

I broke the character limit once, but that was when DBO first started. I think it got bumped to 10,000, but I'm not sure. Which makes this post totally unhelpful, right? :P

Stepping In

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, July 21, 2014, 18:53 (3566 days ago) @ Avateur

Let me TL;DR Snipe's future post: It's not Halo 2.

Stepping In

by Avateur @, Monday, July 21, 2014, 19:05 (3566 days ago) @ bluerunner

That was his Halo 3 review post. Surely he wouldn't use it twice.

I was about to say the same thing :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, July 21, 2014, 19:46 (3566 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

Stepping In

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 08:49 (3565 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

65,000 characters.

Stepping In

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 16:12 (3565 days ago) @ Claude Errera

65,000 characters.

Holy guacamole, Batman. Yep, that should do. Thanks.

I'm confused.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, July 21, 2014, 20:59 (3566 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

I thought Xbox beta code acquirers were in a cone of silence until Wednesday.

I'm confused.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Monday, July 21, 2014, 21:01 (3566 days ago) @ Kermit

I didn't say anything about Xbox. Those are your words. I'm talking PS3.

I'm confused.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 09:24 (3565 days ago) @ Kermit

I thought Xbox beta code acquirers were in a cone of silence until Wednesday.

No, no; it's a cone of shame.

[image]

Grrr...

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 09:26 (3565 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

Hush now; play with your chew-toy. Good dog.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 09:37 (3565 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

- No text -

Oh

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, July 21, 2014, 12:03 (3566 days ago) @ petetheduck

Hue.

Korny doesn't even get a slap on the wrist for this this behavior. Apparently constant, deliberate disrepect towards this community and its members is totally okay.

Korny is a human in name only. He is mostly troll now. The best thing you an do is ignore him. I mean I can't tell if he's trying to sell us on the PS4 or justify his own purchase to himself anymore. You're giving him his smug power. Stop it.

I don't understand why this is tolerated here, at all. And then other community members chime in like it's pointless to address. It shouldn't be ignored, it shouldn't be allowed, it shouldn't happen, period.

I agree that Korny is a troll, but that first post was just strong opinion save for the gratuitous diaper comment, about which much was unhelpfully made after the fact. You may not have noticed, but the troll-like nature of the second post was called out by the Man himself, in addition to getting front page attention for its positive aspects. Korny bugs me and when he claims alignment with me it's enough to make me second-guess myself. On the other hand, when an innocent positive post about the PS4 is misinterpreted as deliberately disrespectful, it makes me glad I'm not an admin if it means I'm supposed to be the arbiter of who meant what.

I guess the question is, would you rather have a site where admins constantly come down on people for sins real and imagined, or a site that is more subtly guided and self-policing. Easy choice for me.

Oh

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, July 21, 2014, 12:09 (3566 days ago) @ Kermit

It quit being funny a couple of weeks ago. Besides, the cool kids have been having a lot of fun without him. They may have even seen some cool stuff way before he even knew about it....

Oh

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, July 21, 2014, 12:11 (3566 days ago) @ Kermit

I guess the question is, would you rather have a site where admins constantly come down on people for sins real and imagined, or a site that is more subtly guided and self-policing. Easy choice for me.

Heh, I was JUST typing up a post and saw your response when I hit Preview. It was going along these lines:

The general B.org policy has always been to treat everyone as an adult, respect each other's opinions even (especially?) when they may not align with your own, and to let disagreements sort themselves out. On the whole, this community does a rather remarkable job of that, so much so that we almost never have to moderate these boards, and that's wonderful.

Oh

by petetheduck, Monday, July 21, 2014, 12:19 (3566 days ago) @ Kermit

Hue.

I don't understand why this is tolerated here, at all. And then other community members chime in like it's pointless to address. It shouldn't be ignored, it shouldn't be allowed, it shouldn't happen, period.

I agree that Korny is a troll, but that first post was just strong opinion save for the gratuitous diaper comment, about which much was unhelpfully made after the fact. You may not have noticed, but the troll-like nature of the second post was called out by the Man himself, in addition to getting front page attention for its positive aspects. Korny bugs me and when he claims alignment with me it's enough to make me second-guess myself. On the other hand, when an innocent positive post about the PS4 is misinterpreted as deliberately disrespectful, it makes me glad I'm not an admin if it means I'm supposed to be the arbiter of who meant what.

The push back against the Xbox butthurt push back was a thing, though--so much "well duh" from the unaffected people, and I don't think it's a stretch to see how that came across to those affected. But that is a completely different topic and one that I think has been completely exhausted and satisfied, especially regarding that specific post.

Your question is a false dilemma, but I know what you're saying.

Agreed. I don't understand it either. :(

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, July 21, 2014, 12:04 (3566 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

PS4 purchased: Friend upgrade unlocked.

by kapowaz, Monday, July 21, 2014, 11:53 (3566 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Stop with the trolling, please...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, July 21, 2014, 12:03 (3566 days ago) @ Korny

The Xbox / Playstation split is annoying enough on its own without you playing the jerk.

Do what I did...

by Velociraptor112, Places., Monday, July 21, 2014, 20:53 (3566 days ago) @ Korny

Friends=abandoned.

I can't tell if you were drunk when you made these posts

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 00:21 (3566 days ago) @ Korny

Because they're not even close to funny and they're just stupid and obnoxious.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 21, 2014, 12:55 (3566 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/07/bungie-cross-generation-destiny-wouldnt-be-fair-to-low-res-players/

So I can't play with my XBox One friends! That's crap.

Do you know why that's a bullshit argument? Because PC gamers have been competing with folks that are playing with different resolutions and different graphics settings since Quake just fine.

by kapowaz, Monday, July 21, 2014, 13:21 (3566 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Do you know why that's a bullshit argument? Because PC gamers have been competing with folks that are playing with different resolutions and different graphics settings since Quake just fine.

Is there a sniper rifle in Quake?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, July 21, 2014, 13:22 (3566 days ago) @ kapowaz

I thought that too. Though I guess you could argue that PC players wouldn't have as much of a problem because they're aiming with a mouse rather than an analogue stick.

Not sure I'd buy that either, mind you...

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, July 21, 2014, 13:25 (3566 days ago) @ someotherguy

The main problem I'm having with this decision is that Bungie is trying to push Destiny as this great Social game you play cooperatively. If I can't play with my friends across generations cooperatively just because Bungie felt like disabling that functionality then that's against their stated design principles.

Now if there is some actual, technical reason why they had to disable it, that's a different story. But don't try to argue that it's somehow magically "better".

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, July 21, 2014, 13:46 (3566 days ago) @ someotherguy

I thought that too. Though I guess you could argue that PC players wouldn't have as much of a problem because they're aiming with a mouse rather than an analogue stick.

If anything, that would be a bigger problem. More aiming precision suggests you can better make use of more precise visuals, I would think.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, July 21, 2014, 13:23 (3566 days ago) @ kapowaz

It's called the railgun (well in Quake II/III, I forget what the original Quake had).

by kapowaz, Monday, July 21, 2014, 13:37 (3566 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Yeah, the rail gun was a precision weapon, but it had no zoom that I recall.

My point was that comparisons with Quake are, to say the least, flawed. The range at which you fight is substantially smaller than in Destiny, so it's very unlikely you'd ever have to worry about a player only being a tiny number of pixels on screen.

That said, it did represent an advantage to have a higher resolution screen, faster graphics etc. One thing a lot of pro Quake players used to do was turn the graphical fidelity (texture quality) all the way down whilst playing at a high resolution: the framerate was as fast as possible, and the textures didn't distract from target acquisition.

That said, I'm not sure the difference between PS4 and Xbox 360 could be so big as to represent a substantial competitive advantage, either.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, July 21, 2014, 13:42 (3566 days ago) @ kapowaz

In Quake III you could zoom with any weapon I believe. People would use that in conjunction with the railgun. I'd love to see cross platform multiplayer as well of course but Bungie can't enable that unless both MS and Sony agree to let them. I don't think that's ever going to happen.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, July 21, 2014, 21:13 (3566 days ago) @ kapowaz

That said, I'm not sure the difference between PS4 and Xbox 360 could be so big as to represent a substantial competitive advantage, either.

FWIW, this thread is talking about cross-GEN play. As in XBox 360 vs. Xbox One, or PS3 vs. PS4. Not PS4 vs. Xbox One.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 01:03 (3566 days ago) @ stabbim

FWIW, this thread is talking about cross-GEN play. As in XBox 360 vs. Xbox One, or PS3 vs. PS4. Not PS4 vs. Xbox One.

I appreciate that, which is why I compared PS4 (the notional ‘best’ performing console) and Xbox 360 (the notional ‘worst’, although giving it more thought maybe that award ought to go to the PS3?). My point being: the difference in resolution is unlikely to be much greater than the difference between 720p and 1080p.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 21, 2014, 14:01 (3566 days ago) @ kapowaz

Is there a sniper rifle in Quake?

Rail gun yo. Known for the accuracy required. So yes.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread