How often would you go to the tower if nothing encrypted? (Destiny)

by scarab @, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 16:22 (3556 days ago)

• I played footy for a few minutes.
  • I jumped onto the roof of the kiosk with a friend.
  • I did some dancing

I never bothered showing off my gear; is that even a thing?

I'd rather do all my shopping online. (Via web browser or tablet app)

What does that leave for the tower?

Social hub? Wat? We can't even talk to other players. I suppose that Bungie could add some lounges where proximity chat is enabled.

Did anyone meet up there before going off doing other stuff together? How does that work?

And the bottom line for me is that encrypted stuff is a PITA. If encryption was removed from the game I would be a happier camper.

How often would you go to the tower if nothing encrypted?

by petetheduck, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 16:37 (3556 days ago) @ scarab

Twice - to pick up bounties and check vendors, then to drop off bounties.

by Chris101b @, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 16:49 (3556 days ago) @ scarab

I went there pretty often. It was fun interacting with all of the things in the tower. Hitting the button on the balcony to activate the fan on top of the building, causing people to freak out was really fun.

Playing impromptu games of soccer was also a lot of fun.

I also spent a lot of time getting out of the map. Just like the Halo 2 days, I LOVED getting out of the maps.

I also went there to reveal my encrypted engrams, to select and cash in bounties, to buy things from various vendors, and to get my daily reward for completing a gold tier event. I spent tons of time in the tower.

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 17:15 (3556 days ago) @ Chris101b

I don't remember ever visiting the tower with the sole purpose of decrypting items, it was always to do something else. However, I when I had the time, I was always deleting the crap white items I picked up from killing enemies and such. If the enemies were dropping a higher percentage of encrypted quality items I wanted (instead of crappy whites), I probably would require extra trips to the Cryptarch so my inventory wouldn't become full. It has the possibility of becoming more of an inconvenience than an enjoyable feature of the tower.

I think Bungie should just let our characters learn decryption from the Cryptarch after doing a quest or something. There could even be separate decryption quests for the different colors of items. It could be fun!

by Phoenix_9286 @, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 16:58 (3556 days ago) @ scarab

Did anyone meet up there before going off doing other stuff together? How does that work?

Yes. Quite a few times. It was a useful meeting place when we all had some prep to do before rolling into Russia, be it grabbing ammo packs, checking the inventory, turning in a quest, or collecting a bounty.

Unfortunately the Tower has like, a 16 player cap. If it's already at capacity, the game tells the people you've invited your Fireteam is full. In instances like that, we had to meet up in Orbit before heading back to the Tower.

It isn't a perfect system, and I totally feel a lot of the complaints (I share more than a few), but I like it.

And the bottom line for me is that encrypted stuff is a PITA. If encryption was removed from the game I would be a happier camper.

I'm not sure I'm opposed to it as a mechanic, but I don't exactly like it either. Perhaps if it wasn't telling me type of thing the encrypted item was upfront? Right now it tells you it's an encrypted special weapon, or a helmet, or gauntlets, or a class item. If encrypted items were more rare, and the game didn't announce what you should expect when you picked it up, I'd probably like it a bit more.

Once I hit 8 though, encrypted items definitely became more of an irritation. It was either going to be something common and under powered I'd never use, something I already had, or something I couldn't use because of the cap. 9 times out of 10, I was decrypting items to immediately turn around and turn them into Glimmer.

On that note... Guns and armor are pretty expensive, why am I only getting 5-10 Glimmer out of them when I tear them apart? I wouldn't say that was something that bothered me, it was just... weird.

by scarab @, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 17:25 (3556 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

On that note... Guns and armor are pretty expensive, why am I only getting 5-10 Glimmer out of them when I tear them apart? I wouldn't say that was something that bothered me, it was just... weird.

Maybe because you keep the parts; perhaps in the full game you can craft them into a 40 barrel rifle :-)

by Phoenix_9286 @, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 18:26 (3556 days ago) @ scarab

Maybe because you keep the parts; perhaps in the full game you can craft them into a 40 barrel rifle :-)

I don't recall getting weapon parts every single time though. If when I did I got half as much Glimmer or whatever, that'd make sense.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 16:59 (3556 days ago) @ scarab

• I played footy for a few minutes.
  • I jumped onto the roof of the kiosk with a friend.
  • I did some dancing

Social hub? Wat? We can't even talk to other players. I suppose that Bungie could add some lounges where proximity chat is enabled.

I ended up going to the Tower usually at the beginning and end of every session. If there were no encryptions, I might have put it off once or twice is all. Just like any RPG, or Skyrim for a recent example, once I gain enough money or marks, I'd head back to a town (in Destiny it's simply the Tower). I'll explore a bit (like find a soccer ball or a bouncy ball, or perhaps a nice viewing spot in the tree), buy new equipment, and sometimes just take in the view, relax, and plan my next expedition.

It's a good place to meet friends before battle as well, since you can see what they're looking like at the moment. Furthermore, you can plan your destination while you kick a ball around or goof off, too, which I find much more enjoyable then sitting in a static lobby trying to figure everything out for an extended time.

I don't quite understand the special need for encryption - but it doesn't bother me that it exists, but with the same token, I wouldn't be sad if it went away. Since I still go to the Tower a lot, like I said, it isn't a hassle.

What I would like to see is encryptions become multi-part or somehow challenging. It it took multiple encryptions to build an item, maybe the Cryptarch could give you clues as to where the next piece is located. Or maybe you could decode encryptions yourself as some sort of puzzle mini-game, and if you weren't interested or couldn't figure it out, THEN you'd see the Cryptarch and pay to bypass the mini-game. Or.. some other... better idea.

by scarab @, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 17:23 (3556 days ago) @ Leviathan

Maybe my problem was that I played a lot of strikes and I'd pick up stuff in every phase. I'd have to delete stuff mid strike to keep slots open in case something interesting turned up. Encrypted stuff just made it hard to decide what to keep and what to bin.

I wasted valuable play time visiting the Cryptarch.

As I said, I'd rather do my shopping and inventory management online (via web, not in game).

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 17:48 (3556 days ago) @ scarab

Maybe my problem was that I played a lot of strikes and I'd pick up stuff in every phase. I'd have to delete stuff mid strike to keep slots open in case something interesting turned up. Encrypted stuff just made it hard to decide what to keep and what to bin.

I wasted valuable play time visiting the Cryptarch.

I guess I never had that problem since I visited the Tower so much.

As I said, I'd rather do my shopping and inventory management online (via web, not in game).

I hate mobile devices with a passion, and enjoy the interaction with a voiced and animated vendor. I'd love if they had dialogue trees as well.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 21:32 (3556 days ago) @ scarab

It never really occurred to me while I was playing, because I switched characters often enough that I never ran out of room, but in that situation you could simply leave items laying on the ground. They should show up later at the postmaster. My understanding is that it won't send whites, just green and higher.

I think that was only in the Alpha

by scarab @, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 09:34 (3556 days ago) @ stabbim

I never got anything posted to me that I had failed to pick up.

And when you have a heard of invisible fallen trying to slice you up then you can't be too picky where you place your feet :-)

Nope, in beta too

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 11:29 (3556 days ago) @ scarab

I got multiple green items at the postmaster during the beta

Lucky you, were you malnurished?

by scarab @, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 12:56 (3556 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Sub level 8?

Lucky you, were you malnurished?

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 09:36 (3555 days ago) @ scarab

I know for a fact that I was level 8 one time--I was playing through the story missions with my friend. The other time I may have been less than 8 but I honestly don't remember.

It only happened twice.

by Avateur @, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 17:36 (3556 days ago) @ scarab

I would go when it's idle time. I found that when a group of us were together but one of us maybe needed to do something or we wanted a break, we'd all go to the Tower to do random things and mess around since, you know, only three of us at a time can go down to Earth. So yeah. The Tower is mostly just a way to waste time, and in my opinion is a waste of time.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 20:54 (3556 days ago) @ scarab

[snip]

Not yet, I don't think. In the normal view I can't even really distinguish good gear from bad. Perhaps over a longer period of time this will become more apparent.

I expect there may be more options in that area, yes. Perhaps chat would be enabled on a clan-wide or faction-wide basis, or something similar-- at the very least, since fireteams are only 3, presumably there could be an option for friends-only proximity chat.

I didn't. In fact, it was much easier to meet up in orbit. When the game was busy, people would have trouble joining a fireteam from outside the City if the leader was in the city and the city was full.

For me it wasn't that much of a PITA. In fact, it provided the necessary justification for short breaks between missions, strikes, and explore sessions.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 01:25 (3556 days ago) @ scarab

I spent literal hours in the Tower at one point, switching between characters and organising my vault so I had a nice range of weapon options for PvP. Then I only used 2 guns the entire time I spent in the crucible. Oops.

I realise thats not for everyone though.

by Cannibal Harry ⌂, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 08:53 (3556 days ago) @ someotherguy

Like Narc said, it's a good break from the action and allows me to do other things in the meantime.

Could there be some variety to engram unlocking? Sure. But I'm damn glad the Tower is there. It makes the game more immersive.

Holy...

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 15:39 (3555 days ago) @ Cannibal Harry

WOW it's been a long time since I've seen you around these parts! (And by 'these parts', I mean b.org.)

Welcome back! (And I agree with you, I like the Tower, even if it didn't feel like we were reaching its full potential in the Beta.)

Yowza.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, August 01, 2014, 07:12 (3554 days ago) @ Cannibal Harry

Like Narc said, it's a good break from the action and allows me to do other things in the meantime.

Could there be some variety to engram unlocking? Sure. But I'm damn glad the Tower is there. It makes the game more immersive.

So what platform are you playing Destiny on?

"Can I Sit On This" is the best game ever, shut your mouth

by Jillybean, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 12:20 (3556 days ago) @ scarab

I sat on crates, I sat on floors, I sat on struts, I sat on spikes, I sat on tents.

I sat so many places.

Yes but you can't it on the leather sofas

by scarab @, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 12:55 (3556 days ago) @ Jillybean

well mostly you can't. Mostly.

Yes but you can't it on the leather sofas

by Jillybean, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 13:13 (3556 days ago) @ scarab

well mostly you can't. Mostly.

You clearly cannot play "Can I Sit On That"
[image]

You had too much time on your hands ;-)

by scarab @, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 13:20 (3556 days ago) @ Jillybean
edited by scarab, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 13:26

I was busy.

I would have done more but my body wasn't ready.

Nor was my controller.

by gardeneel, Sacramento, California, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 17:18 (3551 days ago) @ scarab

I like that the tower gives you a visual representation of everything in its place - the postmaster, the cryptarch, the vanguards, the factions, the outfitter, the speaker, etc. Plus it's a nice place to see other guardians. Tower visits give a sense of narrative continuity. It helps me feel like my guardian and their missions don't exist in a vacuum. The cryptarch and everything else existing in the tower and gaining levels isn't a strictly necessary aspect of the game, but then neither is face customization. I suppose it would be nice if they gave you the option of just buying stuff from a menu, if you didn't feel like loading the tower. To me, the tower is a welcome part of my Destiny experience. The whole idea behind Destiny is that you're a guardian of the last safe city of humanity, so it would be kind of weird if that city wasn't actually a part of the game.

We don't go to the city

by scarab @, Monday, August 04, 2014, 13:23 (3551 days ago) @ gardeneel

the tower is quite separate.

It doesn't feel like a place to hang out to me. We can't even sit on the seats (though you can perch).

The shops aren't shops, stalls at best, the dead end of corridors at worst.

You can't talk to the vendors. Their dialogue isn't appropriate for the items that you are buying. They make approving comments about gear that is way downlevel from what you already have. They don't say, "better luck next time", they say, "that's a powerful piece of history".

I don't want to be a complete downer on it. I quite like the tower but it isn't as good as I expected. It's a bit underwhelming and doesn't seem to be well thought out.

We don't go to the city

by gardeneel, Sacramento, California, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 19:03 (3549 days ago) @ scarab

I can see where you're coming from. while I don't mind it the way it is, the tower could be more fleshed out. I take it there'll be more in the full game.
So, what would you like to see in the tower? voice chat, better dialogue, stuff you can sit on?

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 22:56 (3549 days ago) @ gardeneel

I have wondered why the tower is separate from the city rather than a part of it, it seems like a secluded area that is inside but set apart from the city. Why is it a tower instead of a base on the ground level? I wonder if this is because Guardians aren't welcome in the city for whatever reason, I am hoping the story sheds some light on this detail in one way or another.

The Tower is on the perimeter of the City

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 23:22 (3549 days ago) @ Kalamari

And there are a lot of other towers a lot like it all around. I expect them to be secluded simply because they're watchtowers, as opposed to any more meaningful reason.

However, iirc, there some subtle hints and NPC dialog that suggested Guardians were not entirely well-seen down below.

I wonder if it is the only tower to house Guardians.

The view

by RC ⌂, UK, Wednesday, August 06, 2014, 05:13 (3549 days ago) @ Kalamari

You don't get a view like that from the slums OR downtown.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread