More from Urk (Destiny)

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 17:27 (3559 days ago)

Found this little tidbit over at NeoGaf. Someone had posted about their disappointment of the apparent "One region per planet" situation which is still up in the air as confirmed or not.

Urk Posted this:

Destiny's pretty big. It's the biggest game we've ever made, by far, and we're sort of known for making games you can play for months, years, and even decades if you're a little bit...dedicated.

With Destiny, we're looking to exceed what we've done before, not just in terms of scale - the Moon is our smallest destination - but in terms of scope and breadth of activities. That's true for day one, as you expect, but it also means we want Destiny to have super long legs.

If we're fortunate enough to have you playing months after launch, you still find lots of compelling stuff to do. That will manifest itself in a myriad of ways, from straight up content to cool activities we've yet to show off.

We think we did a decent job supporting Halo, post launch, but we were only ever able to cater to the competitive set. That left a lot of players out in the cold. That made a lot of the team grumpy. We wanted to do better. So, Destiny is philosophically built support every type of player, and all modes with ongoing activities and events. We look at it quite a bit like television programming, as opposed to a singular film, as we had in the past. We think it's gonna be pretty great, but we wanted to test out a bunch of our new stuff with Beta, to make sure we could flip knobs and levers live, reacting and responding with lots (and, ho boy, did we see LOTS) of players online and playing.

Beta was water wings. Level 8 is nothing. You barely scratched the surface, and it seems like some folks had fun with what was there.

If you did, good news. More soon.

Original Source

Seems encouraging to me, I especially like the last bit about "Level 8 is nothing." I really get a sense that this game will evolve and expand just by not having a level cap. Everything will be sweeter when we are Level 20+ Guardians running about.

More from Urk

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 18:42 (3559 days ago) @ Doooskey

We think we did a decent job supporting Halo, post launch, but we were only ever able to cater to the competitive set. That left a lot of players out in the cold. That made a lot of the team grumpy. We wanted to do better. So, Destiny is philosophically built support every type of player, and all modes with ongoing activities and events. We look at it quite a bit like television programming, as opposed to a singular film, as we had in the past. We think it's gonna be pretty great, but we wanted to test out a bunch of our new stuff with Beta, to make sure we could flip knobs and levers live, reacting and responding with lots (and, ho boy, did we see LOTS) of players online and playing.

Beta was water wings. Level 8 is nothing. You barely scratched the surface, and it seems like some folks had fun with what was there.

I made some words bold. Like somesort of hacker - yo.

So there is someone in Bungie ready for me*? They better be... by the time I'm done exploring there will be maps**. MAPS** I tell you! Like some sort of Legendary Lewis and Clark! Ill be all - Step out of the way level ?? zombie face, I'm Exploring and I will not be denied***.

My brain is always hungry. (At least two things I have hinted to here will be in my review.)

*Trick Question
**In my silence I shall observe
***Unless you all throw in some invisible walls, or "black out" walls, or insta-kill walls. WarbleGarble.

More from Urk

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 02:32 (3559 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

They better be... by the time I'm done exploring there will be maps**. MAPS** I tell you! Like some sort of Legendary Lewis and Clark!

[image]

I look forward to the fruits of your endeavours.

I think that weapon does solar damage

by scarab @, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 13:32 (3558 days ago) @ DaDerga

but I think you have to get the angles right.

Simultaneously more clumsy and less random than a blaster.

I think that weapon does solar damage

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 14:56 (3558 days ago) @ scarab

Yup, it's an exptic named "The Sun Also Rises". Very very rare.

I'm hoping for a large rank cap. 100 at least...

by Velociraptor112, Places., Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 19:09 (3559 days ago) @ Doooskey

- No text -

I'm hoping for a large rank cap. 100 at least...

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 19:13 (3559 days ago) @ Velociraptor112

I'm guessing it will take a few expansions for that to happen... I reckon that initially our level cap will be 20. Each major expansion (not DLC) will add an additional 20 levels to the cap. I don't think we'll see "Destiny 2", "Destiny 3", etc. I really just think it will be like WoW, where each major expansion will have a unique name and will raise the level cap and give a whole new round of endgame content (maybe 1 new raid per expansion) along with all the other story missions and strikes.

I didn't see the point of levels, really

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 20:59 (3559 days ago) @ JDQuackers

I mean, we clearly kept upgrading skills even after hitting level 8. There was indeed a cap at that, but it was a bit further than level 8.

I didn't see the point of levels, really

by Mr Danger, Scotland, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 01:42 (3559 days ago) @ ZackDark

Bungie have stated that the level 20 cap is not the end of leveling up. They intend the long term play after that to be about getting better gear and leveling of up. I think the phrase they used was that level 1 to 20 were "vertical leveling" then post that there is loads of "horizontal leveling" via armour, weapons and other subclasses. Also we have seen "motes of light" which you gain instead of leveling up after lvl 20.

100s of levels = Pointless

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 03:00 (3559 days ago) @ ZackDark

EDIT: Apologies, this is meant to be in reply to Velociraptor112.

Having 100 or so levels a la CoD or Battlefield is pointless; the levels in those games mean nothing beyond someone playing long enough to reach them...nothing else. Those games give you access to the entire arsenal of equipment very quickly; leveling up from there does nothing but give you the next-highest number next to your name.

The level cap of 20 in Destiny essentially means you are now a high enough level to equip any piece of gear in the game, BUT you still have to earn or find that gear. Then you have to level up that gear to upgrade it.

The way I see it, Destiny is more about playing with a group of mates, finding great gear, upgrading that gear to reap the benefits and then putting it and your skill to the test in the crucible and, especially, in events like the Iron Banner. It is much more about those experiences than simply trying to hit an arbitrary number which has little to no meaning.

I see your point...

by Velociraptor112, Places., Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 11:15 (3558 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

...but, as someone who loves leveling up in games, personally I would like more than 20 levels. I don't mind a 20 rank cap, cause we keep unlocking upgrades anyways, but if that happens I hope that it's harder to rank up than it was in the beta. I don't want it to be a CoD-esque thing, though. Yugh.

Curious

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 03:16 (3558 days ago) @ Velociraptor112

...but, as someone who loves leveling up in games, personally I would like more than 20 levels. I don't mind a 20 rank cap, cause we keep unlocking upgrades anyways, but if that happens I hope that it's harder to rank up than it was in the beta. I don't want it to be a CoD-esque thing, though. Yugh.

If you already had all the abilities unlocked already, would you still enjoy levelling? I'm not sure I understand loving something like artificially becoming more powerful.

Like in Halo

by Velociraptor112, Places., Thursday, July 31, 2014, 20:45 (3557 days ago) @ kidtsunami

In Halo, you only unlock armor when leveling up, but I still want to get to max rank, just for the fun of doing it. It would be cool if once you stopped unlocking upgrades you just leveled up to get better equipment. But that's just me.

I'm hoping for the smallest cap possible

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 00:53 (3559 days ago) @ Velociraptor112

It was great to quickly level my friends up to level 8 so we were on the same level and enjoying the game together. It was after hitting the cap that it got fun.

I'm hoping for the smallest cap possible

by Lekku, Canada, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 05:47 (3559 days ago) @ kidtsunami

It was great to quickly level my friends up to level 8 so we were on the same level and enjoying the game together. It was after hitting the cap that it got fun.

I have to agree here, the first part of the game just felt like a race to the top of the level cap, which was fun, but it was after that when I really got to experiment and see what I liked, and was using a weapon long enough to upgrade it etc. It was much more fun to me to get a new weapon/piece of equipment and compare them to see what kind of benefit I might get from them once I was maxed as I knew that item wasn't just a stepping stone to the more powerful equipment I was going to get soon for a new level anyway.

The more memorable parts of the beta for me where after I hit the cap and was able to do a variety of things with my fireteam and we were all on the same level.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread