The Sword of Crota (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 18:12 (3550 days ago)

So, as many of you know, beating the Beta Moon mission let you peek at the description of two more Moon missions. One of which:

The Sword of Crota - Infiltrate the Hive Fortress and destroy the Legendary Sword of Crota, a weapon once used to slay thousands of Guardians.

Of course, that sounds awesome, and the first thing that I thought of was a cool, but literal sword.

Then, just now, I was watching some Destiny footage and I saw something and I thought...

No...

It couldn't...

But what if...

[image]

The Sword of Crota

by Phoenix_9286 @, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 18:18 (3550 days ago) @ petetheduck

Hive Superweapon? I like the sound of that.

I wanna fight the beast that wields *that*!

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 18:30 (3550 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

With nukes, maybe...

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 20:23 (3550 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

Or, say, air strikes?...

-- Steve's hoping that some of the expertise Bungie gained making the "Long Night of Solace" level in Halo: Reach eventually gets used in Destiny. (Pretty, pretty, pretty please...)

With nukes, maybe...

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 21:20 (3550 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

Or, say, air strikes?...

-- Steve's hoping that some of the expertise Bungie gained making the "Long Night of Solace" level in Halo: Reach eventually gets used in Destiny. (Pretty, pretty, pretty please...)

Me too!

With nukes, maybe...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, August 01, 2014, 12:34 (3549 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

In what way, particularly? Just curious :)

With nukes, maybe...

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Friday, August 01, 2014, 16:50 (3549 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

In what way, particularly? Just curious :)

Well, there are a couple of protrusions on the undersurface of the stock Guardian spacecraft that I thought looked like hardpoints for weapon mounts... and intercepting Fallen fighters and Hive dropships before they reach the Earth sounds fun to me.

-- Steve quite enjoyed the dogfight level in Reach.

With nukes, maybe...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, August 01, 2014, 17:40 (3549 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

There's those missiles hanging in the tower that might be the right size. I wonder...

The Sword of Crota

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 18:36 (3550 days ago) @ petetheduck

I'm afraid I'm not following. You think that's the sword, or some weapon / machine referred to as the sword?

I lean towards a more literal interpretation for a couple reasons:

1. The Grimoire card we have from the Moon says in part: "It was here that we came face-to-face with Crota and his legions, a force so powerful we abandoned the Moon." This points strongly to an individual, as does the Temple of Crota which we blasted into at the end of the moon mission. You don't build a temple to a weapon... at least not in my mind.

2. I think it's so much cooler and mythic-scifi to have Crota be a badass Hive leader with a legendary sword than the Hive just shooting down Guardian ships or bombing them with artillery or something.

Not saying you're wrong, as super weapons have certainly been called swords before, I'm just not feeling it in this case. :)

The Sword of Crota

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, July 31, 2014, 19:17 (3550 days ago) @ Ragashingo

1. The Grimoire card we have from the Moon says in part: "It was here that we came face-to-face with Crota and his legions, a force so powerful we abandoned the Moon." This points strongly to an individual, as does the Temple of Crota which we blasted into at the end of the moon mission. You don't build a temple to a weapon... at least not in my mind.

Remember, they hate Light with a vengeance. It would be, in my mind, pretty justifiable to build a temple to adore a superweapon.

2. I think it's so much cooler and mythic-scifi to have Crota be a badass Hive leader with a legendary sword than the Hive just shooting down Guardian ships or bombing them with artillery or something.

While I'd normally agree, "thousands" is a pretty big estimate. I find it particularly far-fetched to assume a melee weapon was indeed responsible for at least two thousand deaths in whatever time span the Guardians have existed for.

The Sword of Crota

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 23:42 (3550 days ago) @ ZackDark

While I'd normally agree, "thousands" is a pretty big estimate. I find it particularly far-fetched to assume a melee weapon was indeed responsible for at least two thousand deaths in whatever time span the Guardians have existed for.

Maybe he smited them all at once with a single mighty swing. :p

The Sword of Crota

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, August 01, 2014, 12:38 (3549 days ago) @ Ragashingo

[image]

Precisely!

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Friday, August 01, 2014, 13:08 (3549 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

The Sword of Crota

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Friday, August 01, 2014, 04:38 (3549 days ago) @ Ragashingo

[image]

It would be spectacular if Crota turned out to be a Balrog of Morgoth style character with all of the attendant menace that would carry.

The Sword of Crota

by Phoenix_9286 @, Friday, August 01, 2014, 13:31 (3549 days ago) @ DaDerga

[image]

It would be spectacular if Crota turned out to be a Balrog of Morgoth style character with all of the attendant menace that would carry.

If it is this, I'm demanding part of the fight take us over a bridge, whereupon our Ghost will insist we don't let him pass.

The Sword of Crota

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, August 01, 2014, 14:13 (3549 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

If it is this, I'm demanding part of the fight take us over a bridge, whereupon our Ghost will insist we don't let him pass.

Dinklage: "Bridge toll not accepted!"

+1

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Friday, August 01, 2014, 14:18 (3549 days ago) @ uberfoop

Now I want the Superintendent to be my ghost.

It is the literal interpretation

by electricpirate @, Friday, August 01, 2014, 07:23 (3549 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I'm afraid I'm not following. You think that's the sword, or some weapon / machine referred to as the sword?

I lean towards a more literal interpretation for a couple reasons:

Not saying you're wrong, as super weapons have certainly been called swords before, I'm just not feeling it in this case. :)

I think that's supposed to be a HUGE ASS FRICKEN SWORD :)

It is the literal interpretation

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Friday, August 01, 2014, 07:37 (3549 days ago) @ electricpirate

I think that's supposed to be a HUGE ASS FRICKEN SWORD :)

Why can't it be both? :-D

Oh......my.......

by Velociraptor112, Places., Thursday, July 31, 2014, 20:32 (3550 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread