A feature I'd love to have... (Destiny)

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 18:08 (3524 days ago)

Since this game puts such an emphasis on playing with friends, and partying up often takes time, I would love for the "Explore" mode to be available for parties of 6. In the Beta, you could only do 3, except for Orbit, and the Tower. I think it would be a blast if at least 1 or 2 of the explorable areas allowed for parties of 6.

It would be quite a bit more fun to wait on guys while you run around on a planet, then while you stand around in the tower or wait around in orbit.

Anyone else think this would be fun? Would parties of 6 break the explore mode feel? What about public events? Do you think certain Explore areas (say Venus) could be designed specifically to allow for this larger party?

If I were really allowed to dream, there would be even larger party opportunities (in explore) for those nights when you have a ton of people on. You would eventually divide up into smaller groups, but I'd rather have that discussion while blasting Vex and Fallen on Venus than just chilling in party chat.

A feature I'd love to have...

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 18:14 (3524 days ago) @ Doooskey

Im in total agreement. If Strikes and Story missions are crafted with teams of 3 in mind then fair enough, but Explore is clearly able to handle 6 (or more?) people in the same area - why not myself and 5 friends.

(Especially as we might not even be IN the same area. Would be useful to split up and scout for public events. EDIT: Though having 6 people spread across the map would probably be harder than 6 in one area, obviously)

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 20:56 (3524 days ago) @ someotherguy

(Especially as we might not even be IN the same area. Would be useful to split up and scout for public events. EDIT: Though having 6 people spread across the map would probably be harder than 6 in one area, obviously)

I have a feeling this could have something to do with technical limitations of keeping larger fireteams together on the same instance when each member could in theory be wandering about in totally different parts of the explorable map.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 18:21 (3524 days ago) @ Doooskey

Since this game puts such an emphasis on playing with friends, and partying up often takes time, I would love for the "Explore" mode to be available for parties of 6. In the Beta, you could only do 3, except for Orbit, and the Tower. I think it would be a blast if at least 1 or 2 of the explorable areas allowed for parties of 6.

It would be quite a bit more fun to wait on guys while you run around on a planet, then while you stand around in the tower or wait around in orbit.

Anyone else think this would be fun? Would parties of 6 break the explore mode feel? What about public events? Do you think certain Explore areas (say Venus) could be designed specifically to allow for this larger party?

If I were really allowed to dream, there would be even larger party opportunities (in explore) for those nights when you have a ton of people on. You would eventually divide up into smaller groups, but I'd rather have that discussion while blasting Vex and Fallen on Venus than just chilling in party chat.

You bet your sweet bippy I think this would be fun!... Yet the killjoy in me is saying "They tested this".

Ugh.

Follow the way of the beards

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 18:47 (3524 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

We just need to make a loud enough noise. You know like Beardgate 2014. :)

I'd be happy if there were just one explore zone that allowed for this option.

by SteelGaribaldi @, Sol system, Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 18:32 (3524 days ago) @ Doooskey

That would be awesome. I can picture a party of 4-6 spread out between the initial spawn point in Old Russia and the Cosmodrome, waiting for more friends to join. We could chat about what to do next - try the raid again, or go into the Crucible, or maybe we should split into 2 parties and do strikes instead.

All while we do Sparrow tricks, or local side missions, or kill all of the Fallen by this Antonov.

What would a Public Event with a party of 6 be like? ... Awesome.

That would be amazing.

by Velociraptor112, Places., Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 20:49 (3524 days ago) @ Doooskey

Though it probably won't happen.

Hopefully an upgrade down the road?

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 21:46 (3524 days ago) @ Doooskey

- No text -

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 05:11 (3523 days ago) @ Doooskey

Seems to me you could game the system a little and have a fireteam start in Patrol, then have a player leave the fireteam, then invite friends into the session. If you're playing on XBL you could then just send out a party invite so everyone could talk. Not the most elegant solution, but you could essentially pack a session with all your friends that way, right?

~m

That may pull you back into orbit

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 05:19 (3523 days ago) @ Malagate

- No text -

It does. Silliest thing.

by petetheduck, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 05:53 (3523 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Even if it didn't. ..

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 06:22 (3523 days ago) @ petetheduck

If you left your fireteam but didn't go to orbit, you and your friends could only run around the area that you left the team in. As soon as you cross a loading zone you would probably be split up into separate instances of the next area.

How many can you go to the tower in?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 06:29 (3523 days ago) @ bluerunner

That deej slow walk video looked like it had many more than 6 people in a fireteam...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 06:31 (3523 days ago) @ kidtsunami

That deej slow walk video looked like it had many more than 6 people in a fireteam...

Only 6 six were in the same fireteam, the rest were just random people in the tower that joined in.

ah

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 06:41 (3523 days ago) @ Xenos

so back when the alpha (or beta?) was closed and there were so few people that multiple recognizable fireteams ended up in the tower together?

ah

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 06:48 (3523 days ago) @ kidtsunami

so back when the alpha (or beta?) was closed and there were so few people that multiple recognizable fireteams ended up in the tower together?

Yeah, from what DeeJ was talking about it sounds like they were just leaving the tower and coming back in every few minutes, so you had a pretty good chance of seeing them.

ah

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 06:56 (3523 days ago) @ Xenos

During early access for the beta on the 360 I regularly saw the same people in the Tower and in Old Russia. When it opened up for everybody I rarely saw those same people again.

ah

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 08:59 (3523 days ago) @ bluerunner

During early access for the beta on the 360 I regularly saw the same people in the Tower and in Old Russia. When it opened up for everybody I rarely saw those same people again.

Yeah, kept seeing the same 30 or so people, made friends with a few of them. Lots of "so-and-so is my brother, cousin, etc."

'Twas magical times.

~m

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 07:08 (3523 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I was bringing whole parties of 6 into the tower.

However, on the last day of the Beta, something odd and mysterious began to happen. I was playing the Beta with 5 local friends (same city, same IP). We all started to find each other randomly in the world (particularly the tower) a lot more often.

I'm not sure if this was due to them being on my friends list, or if it was because we are local/sharing an internet provider or just a fluke.

It would be great if the system just automagically put friends who were online in Destiny (even in parties) in the same public spaces.

That'd be awesome

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, August 28, 2014, 00:21 (3523 days ago) @ Doooskey

- No text -

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, August 28, 2014, 16:32 (3522 days ago) @ Doooskey

It would be great if the system just automagically put friends who were online in Destiny (even in parties) in the same public spaces.

It think it should do that, too. I know a bunch of times it said people on my friends list were in the Tower, several times it was more than 10 even, and I never once recognized a name even if I run around the Tower for an hour.
Before the beta I was pretty sure the game would make sure your friends are visible, now, seeing it didn't and seeing how lackluster the social features were, I'm not so sure.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, August 28, 2014, 23:18 (3522 days ago) @ General Vagueness

It think it should do that, too. I know a bunch of times it said people on my friends list were in the Tower, several times it was more than 10 even, and I never once recognized a name even if I run around the Tower for an hour.
Before the beta I was pretty sure the game would make sure your friends are visible, now, seeing it didn't and seeing how lackluster the social features were, I'm not so sure.

It's a tough problem when I consider it. Even manually trying to join someone who was in the tower was difficult as there would already be 12 people in the tower/game and it was full.

It'd be fun to get as many DBO folks on as possible and just drop in and out of the tower to see if we run into each other. And yeah, I know fun for me is not necessarily fun for you ;-)

by scarab @, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 11:54 (3523 days ago) @ Malagate

How can a game that bungie has been working on for eons have a not elegant party system?

Wasn't this supposed to be seamless matchmaking raised to a new level?

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 12:33 (3523 days ago) @ scarab

How can a game that bungie has been working on for eons have a not elegant party system?

Wasn't this supposed to be seamless matchmaking raised to a new level?

I think they have exchanged the "digital couch" for watching your ships in orbit. The Tower is better than orbit, but Explore mode would be amazing for partying up.

My old school Bungie party up system was to start a custom game while I waited for my friends. I'd start a Halo 2 match on Zanzibar and go "Barrel Jumping" by ramming the Warthog or Ghost into the explosive barrels and watching the chaos. Funny thing was... Sometimes we'd fill that custom game up with 11 or 12 of us and we'd keep on Barrel Jumping. It was part of the magic of Halo 2, we still joke about it today. If we had custom games, that'd still be a good option. Explore mode with 6 Guardians code be it whole own kind of Space Magic.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, August 28, 2014, 16:28 (3522 days ago) @ Malagate

Seems to me you could game the system a little and have a fireteam start in Patrol, then have a player leave the fireteam, then invite friends into the session. If you're playing on XBL you could then just send out a party invite so everyone could talk. Not the most elegant solution, but you could essentially pack a session with all your friends that way, right?

No, because you're not guaranteed to show up for each other, continuously or initially or even once at some point.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, August 28, 2014, 16:27 (3522 days ago) @ Doooskey

yes, please

I don't know and I can't bring myself to care, I want it regardless.

That's just what I was thinking reading the first part of your post. :D

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread