Jontyb talks with ign (Destiny)

by GrimBrother IV, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 15:52 (3501 days ago)

Jontyb talks with ign

by Axelrod vK, NC, USA, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 20:30 (3501 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

4:49 is the first look I have seen of a Phobos crucible map...very cool! The surface of Mars is the entire skybox.

Youtube link

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, August 28, 2014, 08:21 (3501 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

Thanks

by Decom @, Monday, September 15, 2014, 13:10 (3483 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

- No text -

Mercury

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, August 28, 2014, 08:24 (3501 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

The Burning Shrine multiplayer map is the "only place you go to Mercury" in Destiny.

Mercury

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, August 28, 2014, 09:22 (3501 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

The Burning Shrine multiplayer map is the "only place you go to Mercury" in Destiny.

On release. No word yet on whether it'll be a destination for a further add-on.

-- Steve's extremely mindful that there's a 10-year cycle planned for this title.

Mercury

by petetheduck, Thursday, August 28, 2014, 15:25 (3501 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

-- Steve's extremely mindful that there's a 10-year cycle planned for this title.

At some point, I imagine they'll have to add multiple locations per planet. Old Russia + _____

Mercury

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, August 28, 2014, 16:19 (3500 days ago) @ petetheduck

The Chicago Swamplands!?

Mercury

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Thursday, August 28, 2014, 16:57 (3500 days ago) @ breitzen

The Chicago Swamplands!?

I really hope so.

Mercury

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, August 28, 2014, 16:58 (3500 days ago) @ petetheduck

At some point, I imagine they'll have to add multiple locations per planet. Old Russia + _____

They didn't live up to their seven worlds thing but you think they're going to have multiple areas per planet?

Key Words: At some point

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, August 28, 2014, 17:12 (3500 days ago) @ General Vagueness

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, August 31, 2014, 09:16 (3498 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

I think there is a huge difference is experience if you get a huge chunk of content at once, versus have it drip fed in DLC over time.

If Bungie released Destiny out the gate with a shitload of locations and planets to explore, the feeling would be that of amazement, excitement, and curiosity. There'd be so much, you just wouldn't know where it ends, giving a great illusion of a huge solar system with tons of stuff to do and explore.

But when you get content periodically, you lose that, since you reach that limit much quicker. You see the end and lose the magic, and with each new place you get, you know that's all the mystery there is. If you have the Europa DLC pack, you know all you get is Europa. If it's just a huge game, you have no idea where it ends.

If anything Bungie needs to give us tons and tons of spaces that they have never mentioned before anywhere, to preserve that sense of mystery.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Sunday, August 31, 2014, 09:26 (3498 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Except that isn't necessarily feasible? Sure, Destiny would be great if it had more content at release, but it's not as if they already have all the DLC and expansions done and ready for inclusion and are just holding back on them.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, August 31, 2014, 09:30 (3498 days ago) @ RaichuKFM
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, August 31, 2014, 09:33

Except that isn't necessarily feasible? Sure, Destiny would be great if it had more content at release, but it's not as if they already have all the DLC and expansions done and ready for inclusion and are just holding back on them.

And that is one of the reasons why MMOs are a bad genre. In theory they are great, but practical limitations prevent that from being realized.

Alternatively, you could release Destiny as three games over the ten years with the DLC rolled into each game, but make each game 100 bucks.

Charging $X for one large package is better than charging $X over a bunch of little packages. I'm talking in terms of creative possibility here. I realize marketing that might be harder, or impossible.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, August 31, 2014, 20:49 (3497 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think there is a huge difference is experience if you get a huge chunk of content at once, versus have it drip fed in DLC over time.

If Bungie released Destiny out the gate with a shitload of locations and planets to explore, the feeling would be that of amazement, excitement, and curiosity. There'd be so much, you just wouldn't know where it ends, giving a great illusion of a huge solar system with tons of stuff to do and explore.

But when you get content periodically, you lose that, since you reach that limit much quicker. You see the end and lose the magic, and with each new place you get, you know that's all the mystery there is. If you have the Europa DLC pack, you know all you get is Europa. If it's just a huge game, you have no idea where it ends.

If anything Bungie needs to give us tons and tons of spaces that they have never mentioned before anywhere, to preserve that sense of mystery.

Sure, except... the playable spaces are one per planetoid, and even if they weren't I'm sure you'd be able to see pretty quickly how many there are, and they give us maps of them, and I assume the maps are at least similar in scale, so once you've explored one area and have some access to the rest of them, you'll know pretty well where the ends of the world are-- or, hey, maybe not, the maps don't seem to show elevation, so the hellmouth on the Moon might make that environment a lot larger than it seems at first. Even putting that aside, I'm sure there are people-- probably people like you-- who would rush through a lot of areas and go from one of a map to the other and under any otherwise reasonable circumstances, especially with a vehicle, would be disappointed when you reach the end. (If your response is that the whole planet should be explorable, so you could only run into shoreline or loop back to where you started, I more or less agree.)

Mercury

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, August 29, 2014, 06:28 (3500 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I assume he means sometime over the next "10 years". There is still a good chance that we might eventually end up with 7 planets too.

"Seven worlds"

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, August 29, 2014, 17:32 (3499 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r
edited by General Vagueness, Friday, August 29, 2014, 17:38

I assume he means sometime over the next "10 years". There is still a good chance that we might eventually end up with 7 planets too.

No, I'm sure we'll see seven worlds eventually, I expect more than that over the next 10 or 12 or 14 years, even, but I thought it would be in this game. I know they don't owe it to me and they never promised it, that doesn't stop me from wanting it. I didn't expect seven planets or seven environments but I did expect it to be close, I expected six, maybe five, because deadlines are tricky and specific numbers have a way of being less specific than you think. This was backed up by them name-dropping Mercury more than once (and I think Saturn and Saturn's moons and rings), on top of specifically stating we would be on Earth and go to the Moon and implying and then stating we would go to Mars and Venus. I did not expect four worlds, and I definitely didn't expect they would have a planet technically included like Mercury is. Granted, Mercury is the smallest and arguably least interesting of the proper planets, and I'm fine with moons and asteroids only having a multiplayer map on them and nothing else, and I'm sure no one's going to say "well this fulfills one world, we can check that off", but it feels like someone, at some point, took the easy route, instead of the better route, maybe it was a lack of ambition, or it was a lack of appropriately high goals, or a deadline that was more restrictive than it needed to be, or someone deciding to make large amounts of the game be DLC.*
It's also grating to see that at least some people there are... I don't know, out of touch, short-sighted, buried in their work? You don't see how people could be unhappy with four planets? Four is a small number, that's why. You can count to four on one hand. Yes, it matters more how much area there actually is, but that's harder to grasp, and you haven't even told us ("each world is bigger than Reach", but no clue how much).
I don't want this to come off as angry rant, because again, deadlines suck, specific numbers can be tricky, and they never promised seven worlds (I'm not even sure who said it outside of the two presenters at GDC 2013), I just wanted to explain what I think and feel about it.

* yeah, it's a large game, so you'd expect large DLC, but I mean in comparison to the game as shipped; this does assume each world has a similar playable area; going with that assumption, bringing it up to seven worlds would mean selling the equivalent of 3/4 of the game all over again, to people who already bought the game proper

"Seven worlds"

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Sunday, August 31, 2014, 06:33 (3498 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I wonder if Bungie decided on a reduced number of planets to help ensure that you run into players in shared spaces everywhere you go? I can see some spaces feeling empty if there are too many locations and not enough players. Someone from Bungie mentioned that players will have reasons to come back to spaces they visited before which seems like a design decision to address that problem.

Saturn

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, August 31, 2014, 09:10 (3498 days ago) @ General Vagueness

No, I'm sure we'll see seven worlds eventually, I expect more than that over the next 10 or 12 or 14 years, even, but I thought it would be in this game. I know they don't owe it to me and they never promised it, that doesn't stop me from wanting it. I didn't expect seven planets or seven environments but I did expect it to be close

http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=30911

They have flat out said you can go to Saturn. If you can't, I will be disappointed even if it's in DLC.

Bungie shot themselves in the foot. If they would have just said nothing or explained that a lot of that leaked concept art isn't illustrative of places you will actually go, it would have all been ok. They ran into this trouble because they hype about how massive a game this is, how game changing a game this is, with all that concept art out there. Naturally people expected 5 explorable areas on Earth because that's what was out there.

So no they didn't promise it explicitly, but they promised by omission.

Also unless the final game is significantly different than the Beta, all that hype surrounding the shared world and social aspect is very misleading as well. The game is NOTHING like we were led to believe pre-alpha in that aspect.

I'm not saying the game is bad (the parts I've played are super fun), but you want to under promise and over deliver.

Saturn

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, August 31, 2014, 10:30 (3498 days ago) @ Cody Miller

From Destinynews.net:

Jonty Barnes: Some of the spaces we thought we were going to go for the launch of the game, we made better choices. They eclipsed some of the initial plans. So we were agile around that. When we see what people are playing and what they most enjoy, we’ll be using that as part of the prioritisation.

I know you have talked about going to Chicago, and some thought we’d get to visit there when the game launches.

Jesse van Dijk: When we started thinking about the IP years ago, we created a singular vision of what the flavour of the world would have to feel like. What is this typical nature of Destiny? What is the type of game we’re trying to make? The way we did that was building this huge fiction that came in the form of all of these various places.

Jonty Barnes: We want to tell the story of the world through the destinations as much as possible, rather than blunt dialogue. Old Chicago was a piece of concept art we did actually show. There’s still a lot of enthusiasm for that. But whether or not that ever makes it into the Destiny universe is to be determined.

Jesse van Dijk: With so many things like that, the fact it even exists, it’s going to inform things that are readily available at launch. The fact the world extends beyond accessible areas informs certain things that are happening within the world. And that’s great. A game needs to have that underlying realm of events that happened that inform certain things in the world to provide the player with that layering.

Certain people will not necessarily be all that interested. But for the people who are, they can dig through and go through all of these discoveries, which is actually one of our most important mechanisms for making people curious, by hiding all of these nuggets within the world, that refer to things that happened in the past or in other places.

Also, promises by omission? Really? So now Bungie has to explicitly deny everything not making it in or they're shooting themselves in the foot? Uh huh...

Saturn

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, August 31, 2014, 11:16 (3498 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Also, promises by omission? Really? So now Bungie has to explicitly deny everything not making it in or they're shooting themselves in the foot? Uh huh...

You're right that's not fair to say, but it was just a bad position all around since when taken with everything else they were saying it was expected. It's just the hype train getting out of control.

I'd prefer we manage our expectations better

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, September 01, 2014, 06:11 (3497 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You're right that's not fair to say, but it was just a bad position all around since when taken with everything else they were saying it was expected. It's just the hype train getting out of control.

I like hearing what Bungie is excited about and getting glimpses of the game in development. I'm willing to not make a big fuss over something I don't really understand.

Now, if Bungie ever was hyping up stuff that they never intended on getting into the game in bad faith, then I'd be upset. At that point they're undermining whatever "relationship" they have with the audience.

Saturn

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, August 31, 2014, 20:43 (3497 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No, I'm sure we'll see seven worlds eventually, I expect more than that over the next 10 or 12 or 14 years, even, but I thought it would be in this game. I know they don't owe it to me and they never promised it, that doesn't stop me from wanting it. I didn't expect seven planets or seven environments but I did expect it to be close

http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=30911

They have flat out said you can go to Saturn. If you can't, I will be disappointed even if it's in DLC.

well, crud

Bungie shot themselves in the foot. If they would have just said nothing or explained that a lot of that leaked concept art isn't illustrative of places you will actually go, it would have all been ok. They ran into this trouble because they hype about how massive a game this is, how game changing a game this is, with all that concept art out there. Naturally people expected 5 explorable areas on Earth because that's what was out there.

I don't remember any leaked concept art other than maybe a few things before the game was announced. I definitely don't remember anything about specifically have five explorable areas on Earth.

Also unless the final game is significantly different than the Beta, all that hype surrounding the shared world and social aspect is very misleading as well. The game is NOTHING like we were led to believe pre-alpha in that aspect.

This is going to sound really weasely, but as far as I can tell they haven't said anything about it being a social game outside of seeing other players in the world and fighting with them and teaming up with them through external means since since about the middle of spring, several months ago now, so maybe they're backing off from that message, maybe because they can't deliver a proper socially-oriented game. I agree it's BS though, certain capabilities should be there that weren't in the beta.

Mercury

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, August 31, 2014, 09:04 (3498 days ago) @ petetheduck

At a fee. In a package you can't buy used or sell back.

Mercury

by Earendil, Monday, September 15, 2014, 09:04 (3483 days ago) @ Cody Miller

At a fee. In a package you can't buy used or sell back.

Which I've personally never had a problem with since digital content is never truly "used". Generally you pay less for a used thing because it isn't as good as a brand new item. Digital content has no such wear. Most (but not all) digital content has been "licensed" not sold forever, it's only in the last number of years that the license model has been enforceable.

I do understand it's a change, and that people would rather pay less. But hopefully people also see that they are getting the same value out of it one way or the other, so might as well pay the same, one way or the other.

Awesome.

by GrimBrotherIII, Thursday, August 28, 2014, 19:35 (3500 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread