A plea to Bungie, streamline resource gathering (Destiny)

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Sunday, October 19, 2014, 15:37 (3467 days ago)

Running in circles for spirit blooms and spinmetal and all that is no fun.

Why can't we get those resources as drops like Shards and Energy?

Make them common participation rewards in strikes and crucible. Right now it's just so tedious and boring to gather them. I'd rather be playing crucible than entering and exiting the same 5 caves hoping a chest will spawn in them.

A plea to Bungie, streamline resource gathering

by Velociraptor112, Places., Sunday, October 19, 2014, 15:47 (3466 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

I think a better idea would be to make materials available for purchase at the Tower. I dunno about you, but I think getting Spirit Blooms or Spinmetal as rewards for finishing PvP would be pretty lame.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 19, 2014, 15:48 (3466 days ago) @ Velociraptor112

I think a better idea would be to make materials available for purchase at the Tower. I dunno about you, but I think getting Spirit Blooms or Spinmetal as rewards for finishing PvP would be pretty lame.

Yes a million times. Either buy it with glimmer, or else trade something like Sapphire Wire in for resources.

Shards should also be transmutable into energy and vice versa.

by LostSpartan, Sunday, October 19, 2014, 17:26 (3466 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes a million times. Either buy it with glimmer, or else trade something like Sapphire Wire in for resources.

Getting materials as a reward for finishing patrol missions would also be pretty neat. That way there is a little more incentive to do them besides some small amount of experience and vanguard rep (as well as bounties if you are working on those).

Also can we please just pick them up when we walk over them like ammo or engrams? this hold square/X to pick up is killing me.

by Velociraptor112, Places., Sunday, October 19, 2014, 18:56 (3466 days ago) @ LostSpartan

Getting materials as a reward for finishing patrol missions would also be pretty neat. That way there is a little more incentive to do them besides some small amount of experience and vanguard rep (as well as bounties if you are working on those).

Also can we please just pick them up when we walk over them like ammo or engrams? this hold square/X to pick up is killing me.

That's also a good idea. It would still be farming, but it wouldn't be so monotonous.

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Monday, October 20, 2014, 10:37 (3466 days ago) @ Velociraptor112

Hijack a Pike on Venus, it turns a monotonous spirit bloom errand into a fun filled Fallen/Vex murdering spree.

by Jabberwok, Monday, October 20, 2014, 15:45 (3465 days ago) @ Kalamari

Hijack a Pike on Venus, it turns a monotonous spirit bloom errand into a fun filled Fallen/Vex murdering spree.

I've only found one once outside the Ember Caves. Anywhere else I should look?

by kornman00, Sunday, October 19, 2014, 22:16 (3466 days ago) @ LostSpartan

For some reason I think the "Hold X to..." plays into making their networking/servers setup be as solid as they are.

/in b4 animal error code bitching

However, for material gathering it's way too fucking long, and that shit will disappear even when you're holding the goddamn button to try and get it (when someone already previously got to it before you and it's 'fading out').

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, October 20, 2014, 04:57 (3466 days ago) @ kornman00

However, for material gathering it's way too fucking long, and that shit will disappear even when you're holding the goddamn button to try and get it (when someone already previously got to it before you and it's 'fading out').

That's precisely why it takes time though. You start to grab it and remember you have a friend with you. The delay gives you time to stop.

by DEEP_NNN, Monday, October 20, 2014, 05:29 (3466 days ago) @ Kermit

That's precisely why it takes time though. You start to grab it and remember you have a friend with you. The delay gives you time to stop.

That is very true.

Also, if resources were more easily picked up then one person could farm an area quickly leaving nothing behind for other players. In turn that creates another issue for how often the resource should respawn if indeed it should ever despawn. If it never despawned then players would create no-mind trajectories for the fastest resource gathering and suddenly, the nature of Destiny completely changes.

Resource gathering, Patrols and Public Events seem like very deliberately tuned mechanics to control the games pace and traffic. Whether it's liked or not is a personal thing.

I've sort of geared myself to grab any nearby resource while Patrolling, completing Bounties and Public Events. I find it somewhat rewarding to complete all these tasks simultaneously and efficiently. Keeps me moving around the maps and that in turn encourages exploration.

I guess that makes sense.

by LostSpartan, Monday, October 20, 2014, 07:49 (3466 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

I'm still not the biggest fan of the button hold to pick up, but when it's explained to me like this, I can deal with it :)

Resources as Patrol rewards would help mitigate this...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 17:10 (3464 days ago) @ LostSpartan

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 20, 2014, 11:09 (3466 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Also, if resources were more easily picked up then one person could farm an area quickly leaving nothing behind for other players.

Instance resources like loot. Problem solved.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, October 20, 2014, 11:40 (3466 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Also, if resources were more easily picked up then one person could farm an area quickly leaving nothing behind for other players.

That takes any cooperative aspect of it away.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, October 20, 2014, 12:30 (3466 days ago) @ Kermit

That takes any cooperative aspect of it away.

Instance the collection only?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, October 20, 2014, 14:07 (3466 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Give enough buffer time before the other joins in on the fun and the locations will be all out of sync.

by DEEP_NNN, Monday, October 20, 2014, 14:01 (3466 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It still presents a problem. That solution is effectively the same as never despawning the resource. Traffic patterns become too ingrained and players move too fast and too often.

Again, it comes down to, how do you want players to behave in a constructive manner in your world?

I'm not saying Bungie got everything perfect, but simple ideas that change the nature of player behaviour can have adverse side effects on the end goal.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 11:19 (3465 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

I'm not saying Bungie got everything perfect, but simple ideas that change the nature of player behaviour can have adverse side effects on the end goal.

Something that would have no adverse effect would be to get rid of resources and weapon upgrades all together :-p

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 12:31 (3465 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Something that would have no adverse effect would be to get rid of resources and weapon upgrades all together :-p

No adverse effect to YOU.

I actually enjoy watching my weapons become more powerful over time. I ENJOY the upgrade process. Whee!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 12:44 (3465 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I actually enjoy watching my weapons become more powerful over time. I ENJOY the upgrade process. Whee!

Next time you get on the PS4, let's go farm spirit bloom together then. After we get 200+, we'll hop in a public event rotation and get as much ascendant energy as we can.

Sound good? That's what it takes to level up your guns :-p

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 12:56 (3465 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Next time you get on the PS4, let's go farm spirit bloom together then. After we get 200+, we'll hop in a public event rotation and get as much ascendant energy as we can.

Sound good? That's what it takes to level up your guns :-p

And putting nutrition into my body and then pooping out the waste is what it takes to keep me alive - but it's not what I live for. :)

You can boil the process down to the most boring parts if you want - but I'd rather see the entire thing as an integrated journey.

I bet I have more fun playing Destiny than you do. ;)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 13:11 (3465 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Overall? Maybe, because a lot of the game has been a chore for me. But I'm pretty sure there are specific moments where I've had more fun. Doing the raid at 2am with no help, and no clue how to beat it was one such time :-)

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 13:23 (3465 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Overall? Maybe, because a lot of the game has been a chore for me. But I'm pretty sure there are specific moments where I've had more fun. Doing the raid at 2am with no help, and no clue how to beat it was one such time :-)

Bolded the area that was my point. :)

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, October 20, 2014, 02:29 (3466 days ago) @ LostSpartan

You totally used to get this in the Beta. A VIP patrol mission would reward you with 10 Spinmetsl or so.

Only problem with being able to buy it is thry'd hVe to change/remove turning in resources for Marks/Exp at the quartermaster.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, October 20, 2014, 08:06 (3466 days ago) @ someotherguy

You totally used to get this in the Beta. A VIP patrol mission would reward you with 10 Spinmetsl or so.

You still get them in certain random loot chests. Every now and then, when you open a chest, you'll get 3 (sometimes even 5!) different item types in them. Mine usually end up looking like this:

10 spin metal
1 special ammo synth
1 Blue engram (or more, sometimes)

Not saying that's much better, but it helps. I only seem to get those kind of chests on Russia and Mars.

I NEVER EVER HAVE ENOUGH FRACKING HELIUM.

NEVER.

I can't tell if it has to do with how small the moon surface area is compared to the other areas, but it really irritates me that since the moon is 30% 'moon' and 70% 'hive' areas, I only have a tiny fraction of an area to chase elements compared to Venus or Russia.

I would like it much better that if you are in a party, when one of you picks up a material, ALL of you get it.

Only getting them in ones and twos is very time consuming.

by Jabberwok, Monday, October 20, 2014, 15:43 (3465 days ago) @ Velociraptor112

That would be nice. More uses for glimmer would be good, all around, as anything worth buying can't even be bought with it.

Helium seeds, Axiomatic bloom, Network relic keys

by rhubarb, Monday, October 20, 2014, 16:02 (3465 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

Consumable to change glimmer drops to resources. Problem solved.

That's not free Bungie. ;)

Streamline armour and weapon dismantling

by scarab @, Wednesday, October 22, 2014, 22:46 (3463 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

Delete this colour and below.

Right now I never keep blue or below: ever.

I do a LOT of button holding and a lot of cleanup. I'd rather not have to.

DOH! I need the option to lock a weapon because I keep a blue scout rifle to pick up ammo.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread