It's like... hardcore and casual all at the same time (Destiny)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, October 20, 2014, 13:36 (3474 days ago)

You've got the raid. Which is amazing no need to discuss it.

Then you've got patrol, just running around shooting with is so nice and relaxing because the game movement/shooting mechanics are so pleasant. Titanfall pleasant, in fact.

On patrol I'm often reminded of folks playing "casual" games just to pass time and relax. Sorta funny that it's the same game with the goddamn Vault of Glass.

It's like... hardcore and casual all at the same time

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, October 20, 2014, 13:49 (3474 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Would be even better at it if they dropped the progression system altogether. You could still relax when you felt like it, and play crazy hardcore when you felt like it, and do what you want when you want without feeling like you're being punished whenever it doesn't align with what the game is providing rewards for.

Why does chilling require the existence of patrol mode?

by Jabberwok, Monday, October 20, 2014, 15:37 (3474 days ago) @ uberfoop

Would be even better at it if they dropped the progression system altogether. You could still relax when you felt like it, and play crazy hardcore when you felt like it, and do what you want when you want without feeling like you're being punished whenever it doesn't align with what the game is providing rewards for.

Why does chilling require the existence of patrol mode?

I have mixed feelings about the progression as well, but it could still be useful if only it were more flexible. Seems like character builds are mostly about finding gear instead of choosing skills, whereas I wish it were the other way around.

As far as patrol mode, I would prefer if the core of the game were built more around it. Or rather, they need to work on and flesh out their sandbox to get the mileage out of it that it needs. The sandbox feels like it has the most potential to be unique and replayable, with some serious reworking.

The do what you want when you want thing is exactly what they advertised during production, so it seems like they hit that, but maybe in a way that is more artificial than natural.

by Durandal, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 05:58 (3473 days ago) @ Jabberwok

Indeed, the sandbox mode is the best part of the game. We need more interaction with the mobs and more area to play around in, but it is a good start.

More varied and frequent public events would be nice, or perhaps more of the "enemies are amassing against you" type events where crazy spawns come in and try to camp an area and drive all the players out.

If only you got more rewards for sticking around and sticking it too them.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 06:43 (3473 days ago) @ Durandal

Indeed, the sandbox mode is the best part of the game. We need more interaction with the mobs and more area to play around in, but it is a good start.

More varied and frequent public events would be nice, or perhaps more of the "enemies are amassing against you" type events where crazy spawns come in and try to camp an area and drive all the players out.

Those "furball" events are some of my favorite. The Ishtar Academy section gets particularly hectic. Wonderful times.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 07:32 (3473 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

You know what's weird? I don't think it's ever happened to me. Never hung out by the loot cave long enough I guess.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 08:25 (3473 days ago) @ Kermit

There's also one on Mars, near Patrol spawn. I think it's down a ways to the left of the area? Vex are harrassing a Cabal outpost, and then eventually both sides just get at it. That was the first time I experienced it.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 10:02 (3473 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

There's also one on Mars, near Patrol spawn. I think it's down a ways to the left of the area? Vex are harrassing a Cabal outpost, and then eventually both sides just get at it. That was the first time I experienced it.

Ah, okay. I should just hang out there a while. For whatever reason, I've spent the least amount of time on Mars.

by Jabberwok, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 13:36 (3473 days ago) @ Kermit

Ah, okay. I should just hang out there a while. For whatever reason, I've spent the least amount of time on Mars.

It still happens to me pretty freuquently in Skywatch. Both Hive and Fallen enemies with yellow health bars will start showing up.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 13:42 (3473 days ago) @ Jabberwok

It still happens to me pretty freuquently in Skywatch. Both Hive and Fallen enemies with yellow health bars will start showing up.

I love when those things kick in...first a major or two show to mix it up, then servitors and knights start spawning...then all hell breaks loose.

If they started playing Mastodon when those things began I'd literally stand around Skywatch all day just waiting for them to start.

by DEEP_NNN, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 08:05 (3473 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Same thing happened to me in the Rocketyard. Massive battle that never stopped until I died then it instantly ended. It was amazing.

It was like a distinct boss battle.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 08:06 (3473 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I've never had the ishtar academy one spawn, but I want it to badly. My two fav aliens to stomp on.

We (generally speaking) should hang out there sometime

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 08:23 (3473 days ago) @ iconicbanana
edited by SonofMacPhisto, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 08:28

Not sure what kind of timer it might be on, but yeah, the Ishtar one is just fab. Good place for a few missions and getting some Spirit Bloom, should you need it.

We (generally speaking) should hang out there sometime

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 08:45 (3473 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Not sure what kind of timer it might be on, but yeah, the Ishtar one is just fab. Good place for a few missions and getting some Spirit Bloom, should you need it.

I'll always take an invite to shoot some aliens.

Goddamn I love shooting aliens.

Is it the area where you spawn on the Nexus strike?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 16:53 (3473 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

Yes.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 16:57 (3473 days ago) @ ZackDark

The whole area fills up with Vex and Fallen. It's quite grand until you inevitably die! :)

Yes.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 17:18 (3473 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I've been farming Spirit Blooms there for the past month now and have never seen one of those events... ::sadface::

by Jabberwok, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 13:34 (3473 days ago) @ Durandal

Yeah, it's when the spawns are changing dynamically that things get more interesting. In most areas, it's the exact same group of enemies spawning in exactly the same places. And I would love to see more mobs spawn with actual objectives. What if they could take over spawn points from another one of the enemy factions, or even have an area fortified that they hadn't previously spawned in? Even just some more randomly placed spawns would be nice.

And there absolutely needs to be more variation in the public events. And indoor areas could stand to be less linear, instead of feeling like a tube between public areas.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread